Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart, what do we stand for?

AzureKingfisher

We will break a record if or should I say when we lose to the yards as the worst start to an A League season ever.

Put that with our finish to last year and it's beyond a joke our manager is still in a job.

Brilliant people we have running our club.

We are very good at community engagement.

We are very good at media engagement.

We will break a record if or should I say when we lose to the yards as the worst start to an A League season ever.

Put that with our finish to last year and it's beyond a joke our manager is still in a job.

In truth we are shit house at both.

Community engagement has yielded minimal supporters and members and media engagement is a shambles as our club is looked at as unprofessional and rightly a joke.

• Like 1

In truth we are shit house at both.

Community engagement has yielded minimal supporters and members and media engagement is a shambles as our club is looked at as unprofessional and rightly a joke.

They had Ian Ramsay on SEN radio a couple times last week to talk about the clubs form. Dont wanna be harsh on the guy but surely the club could've picked a more media-experienced player to go on radio? For instance Massimo is excellent when he gets interviewed on foxsports as his always well-spoken, upfront and honest. Poor Ian just sounds nervous and uncomfortable it was quite cringeworthy to listen to. It wasn't a good look and then club needs to take stuff like this more seriously.

Right now, we're a charity with a football team, not a football club that does some charity/community work.

The only thing we do, and do well, is community engagement, with initiatives like the football clinics that engage tens of thousands of boys and girls around Victoria. That's all nice, but I agree that these initiatives alone don't sufficiently result in more members and larger attendances. The club need to sort out what's happening on the pitch ASAP,  because the club is rapidly exhausting the goodwill of its rusted on supporters.

• 4 weeks later...

This club should've always been branded the club of the south east of Melbourne. Massive growing area, would've had plenty of interest and we would've actually had some sort of geographical divide from victory. This club wasn't thought through long enough and now we're officially the shittest team in history.

Edited by HeartFc

This club should've always been branded the club of the south east of Melbourne. Massive growing area, would've had plenty of interest and we would've actually had some sort geographical divide from victory. This club wasn't thought through enough and now we officially the shittest team in history.

OH Fuck off.

The last thing we need now is more fucking "identity" bullshit when we've just had our hearts ripped out of our chests by another pathetic loss.

You've already said you haven't bought a membership, go buy one and maybe then you're entitled to have an opinion on the matter.

This club should've always been branded the club of the south east of Melbourne. Massive growing area, would've had plenty of interest and we would've actually had some sort of geographical divide from victory. This club wasn't thought through long enough and now we're officially the shittest team in history.

Yeah because if we were located in the South East we would magically start winning games, I see where you are coming from.

• Like 3

and 10,000 MV supporters would suddenly take out Heart membership because 'we live in the south east and Heart is the club that represents us.' Another 10,000 Melburnians would say 'now that Heart doesn't represent all of Melbourne but only the south east, we are suddenly interested in joining too'.

Yeah because if we were located in the South East we would magically start winning games, I see where you are coming from.

Dumbcunt response from a dumb cunt.

This club should've always been branded the club of the south east of Melbourne. Massive growing area, would've had plenty of interest and we would've actually had some sort geographical divide from victory. This club wasn't thought through enough and now we officially the shittest team in history.

OH Fuck off.

The last thing we need now is more fucking "identity" bullshit when we've just had our hearts ripped out of our chests by another pathetic loss.

You've already said you haven't bought a membership, go buy one and maybe then you're entitled to have an opinion on the matter.

Well firstly I must respond by telling you to fuck off. I'm on forum, my opinion is as valid as yours.

Only one part of my post mentioned anything about indentity, the rest mentioned the growth of the area and the genuine interest that would've followed.

I notice you mention the south east on this forum and everyone from the north and other areas gets their panties in a knot.

The geography is irrelevant. It is the wheelie bin approach that has cost us. The club is rubbish and is in need of a complete overhaul.

Well you've clearly missed the point. If we build the club around the south east it wouldn't have been a wheelie bin project.Im no SE fan but he has a point that there could be good training facilities in the SE at Casey and Seaford. Edited by cadete

The geography is irrelevant. It is the wheelie bin approach that has cost us. The club is rubbish and is in need of a complete overhaul.

Well you've clearly missed the point. If we build the club around the south east it wouldn't have been a wheelie bin project.

I suspect you haven't seen the bigger picture. The sporting precinct of Melbourne is all located centrally right next to the cbd. Identifying this club as purely for the south east would as a result be totally counter productive as this type of divide is really a myth in Melbourne. Football (AFL) clubs used to be but aren't now geographically divided and really no afl clubs stand for anything in particular these days (in years past sure but not now except maybe Essendon and drugs lol). Now before you carry on about me being from the north or west I'm from South Gippsland. We once had a team which had it's own geographical zone and that did well...... I do however agree with your suggestion it should be considered as a training base.

But I digress the fact of the matter is there is NO proof that any other type of plan would have worked in this particular circumstance whether you branded it South east fc or rainbow fc. I think however what we all can agree upon is that better facilities and form would certainly improve our current and long term plight as a club. 

TLDR If we were winning this wouldn't even be an issue

• Like 1

This isn't Sydney, the south east suburbanites don't identify with their area like West Sydney people do. 90,000+ people went to the Liverpool game at the MCG which suggests the entire Melbourne market has huge potential. An area specific team wouldn't see any more money from the board, which would have seen the same poor results.

And why would a board invest more in a market with less potential? We probably would have been worse. So why surrender 2/3 or even more of the market to Victory for an ineffective "Geographical divide" when it will never work, or at least not in today's climate.

• Like 4

This isn't Sydney, the south east suburbanites don't identify with their area like West Sydney people do. 90,000+ people went to the Liverpool game at the MCG which suggests the entire Melbourne market has huge potential. An area specific team wouldn't see any more money from the board, which would have seen the same poor results.

And why would a board invest more in a market with less potential? We probably would have been worse. So why surrender 2/3 or even more of the market to Victory for an ineffective "Geographical divide" when it will never work, or at least not in today's climate.

...and further to that, do we expect that the other team would 'give up' the south east of Melbourne to us? Do we think that all their fans there would change to support us? We would be limiting ourselves to a market of half of Melbourne and still competing on the field for support against the other team.

There was never an option to base ourselves in the South East.

Someone asked that specific question at the fan forum last year and Sidwell said Casey wasn't an option as a training base because the Scorpions (?) had the tenant rights to the facility and didn't want Heart there.

All this talk of basing ourselves in the south east. Casey didn't want us. Latrobe did. End of discussion really.

Edited by FB.
  • Like 1

It would be like thinking Coles will give up the south-eastern Metropolitan areas to Safeway, and Safeway give up the north-western Metropolitan areas to Coles.

Some of the statements that have come out of the MV management about Heart have been rather pathetic, but my guess is that they have been said with tongue firmly in cheek just to score a few points. Only to be expected really. I don't expect a single MV fan to switch over to Heart (although some have, and some people are members of both clubs). In a city of 4m people, and with the amazing commitment of country people to the game, there is a perfectly adequate market out there to support at least 2 A-League clubs. What we have to do as the second of those clubs is work hard in every respect to gain our share of that market. And that means attention to detail and going the extra mile in every single thing that we do.

Heart has done some things very well and gained a lot of goodwill that way. Many people I know have a "soft spot" for the club and would like nothing more than to see us flying at the top of the league. But until we can deliver on the field they will not make the commitment and become bolted-on to the club. Heart has also done some things rather poorly, and it is those things that are unfortunately inhibiting our growth. It's got nothing to do with where we train or where our offices are.

At the moment everyone looks at WSW as a success story. It is going to interesting to see what eventuates as various people leave that club and go elsewhere, and what happens when it is no longer fully funded by FFA.

• Like 3

It would be like thinking Coles will give up the south-eastern Metropolitan areas to Safeway, and Safeway give up the north-western Metropolitan areas to Coles.

Some of the statements that have come out of the MV management about Heart have been rather pathetic, but my guess is that they have been said with tongue firmly in cheek just to score a few points. Only to be expected really. I don't expect a single MV fan to switch over to Heart (although some have, and some people are members of both clubs). In a city of 4m people, and with the amazing commitment of country people to the game, there is a perfectly adequate market out there to support at least 2 A-League clubs. What we have to do as the second of those clubs is work hard in every respect to gain our share of that market. And that means attention to detail and going the extra mile in every single thing that we do.

Heart has done some things very well and gained a lot of goodwill that way. Many people I know have a "soft spot" for the club and would like nothing more than to see us flying at the top of the league. But until we can deliver on the field they will not make the commitment and become bolted-on to the club. Heart has also done some things rather poorly, and it is those things that are unfortunately inhibiting our growth. It's got nothing to do with where we train or where our offices are.

At the moment everyone looks at WSW as a success story. It is going to interesting to see what eventuates as various people leave that club and go elsewhere, and what happens when it is no longer fully funded by FFA.

Popovic is a great manager no doubt, however their success seems hollow given how many leg ups they've received. I imagine if and when success finally comes our way it will be all the more satisfying, knowing that we've gone through hard times and without any help at all from FFA.

The geography is irrelevant. It is the wheelie bin approach that has cost us. The club is rubbish and is in need of a complete overhaul.

Well you've clearly missed the point. If we build the club around the south east it wouldn't have been a wheelie bin project.

No, I got your point.

Edited by Peter

Why, we would have had the same owners with the same budgets, probably less members. Do you have any evidence that people had avoided taking season tickets or attending matches because Heart is not based in the south east? The only difference I can see is that we would be saying 'we represent south east Melbourne and we are a shit team' instead of 'we represent Melbourne and we are a shit team'.

• Like 1

To answer the question the thread is named of "Melbourne Heart, what do we stand for".

Right now, unfortunately we stand for a laughing stock, and the thrifty team that just cannot win. That is the perception on the street.

I really hope this changes, and soon as I can't take this for much longer. It's well beyond a joke.