Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart, what do we stand for?

AzureKingfisher

Watching Cameron Edwards and Zahra (who just scored) play for Perth makes me sad! :-(

Cameron Edwards, now, there's a perfect example of how we've failed. We signed this young guy on a 6-months contract mid-way through last season. He'd had some difficulties getting started at Reading, but after signing him to our senior squad we then did nothing with him. He was supposedly about to make the match-day squad when he had another mysterious "Heart injury."

He's just another example of a young player whom we go out and sign and then don't know how to develop, or don't bother.

BTW, I see Riley Woodcock played for Perth last night. He's another youngster we trialled - I think more than once - but passed over. Lucky for him I'd say.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

We initially stood for something but as we all know thats all gone to shit in recent times. If JA wants to make his own mark on this club and give this club a point of difference instead of being that 'long-ball team' then we should start playing an italian style 3-5-2. Something JVS toyed with from time to time. 

I think with the players we have we are more than capable of playing this formation. 

---------------------Weilaart--------Kisnorbo-----Gerhardt/Vrankovic-----------

----------------------------------Migliorini/Kalmar-----------------------------------------

Walker--------------Murdocca------------------Kewell-------------------Behich

-------------------------------Misfud------Williams-----------------------------------

Migliorini or Engelaar when his back fit will essentially be our playmaker DM ie; Andrea Pirlo type. Kalmar is also capable of playing this role. Walker and Behich will be our marauding wingers, going forward and tracking back to help the back 3 when needed to. Murdocca will be the box to box midfielder but more defensive minded as Kewell will stay forward more to feed the strikers. Also we need to stop playing Misfud as the lonely striker as its clearly not working. Would be alot more damaging if we had Willo with him.

Thoughts?

Edited by fiz.heart

I'd much rather we went this way.

Somewhere else I've said "toothless attack and porous defence." We seem to have no-one up front in the box when the ball comes in - I couldn't see anyone coming in at the far post to tap in Williams' cross/goal - and no-one at the back when the opposition comes forward - Mooy just picked his spot as the defence retreated in front of him. (And I though Redders could have done better there - the ball went under his hands and not for the first time.)

This is where Aoisi is so bloody incompetent - we are painfully predictable. Training isn't just to do press-ups - it's to work on match tactics etc. etc.

I would love to see us play 3-5-2, as I also think we have the players for it. But I'd settle for any kind of meaningful tactical change, because we have played 9 games and have only gotten 4 points, and the coaches are persisting with largely the same football.

The only 'tactics' and 'tactical changes' I've seen this season have been us sitting deep against Victory, and us pressing Brisbane fairly high for the first half. But apart from those 3 halves of football, we have nearly always looked disorganised, and the team looks more like they are improvising rather than executing a gameplan. 

Aloisi does change personnel, though. For all his talk of 'sticking together', he has dropped Walker and Kalmar after the Sydney FC match, and he dropped Dugandzic down to the youth team this weak. Sure, some changes in personnel are probably warranted, but JA seems to have scapegoated these players (and not other equally legitimate candidates) for our as poor form, whereas players like Hoffman and Williams are effectively played whenever they are fit and Aloisi seems to believe they are faultless (Williams has gone missing for long stretches as our no 10, but JA has stupidly persisted with playing him there. He got a goal from the wing yesterday where he should be. Williams has arguably been played into some of his best form at Heart by playing every game. But JA's been the complete opposite with Walker, and it's so frustrating to see).

So for all JA's talk of this club and team 'sticking together', what he really means is 'keep me', 'don't sack me', and he'll unfairly scapegoat a number of players (including young players) to try and justify the shit football we've been playing. It is really quite cowardly.

When we finally get a coach to replace JA, I think we'll all be blown away after seeing and remembering how much a coach can positively influence a team through tactical changes, legitimate personnel changes and smart substitutions. If you only watched JA you'd think football coaches could only provide little and limited positive influence on a football team, when really the opposite is true.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 3

Agree with change of formation especially since Mifsud can in no way, IMO, work upfront as a lone striker. He is not that type of player. He needs a strike partner to work off - picking up crumbs or running around defenders in and around goals. I'd try Golgol & Mifsud upfront as a strike combo.

Edited by HEARTinator

In Europe the evidence points to a mid-season coaching change as making minimal difference, whereas there is clear evidence that success is proportional to the amount spent on the team squad. There is no evidence that I've seen but I suspect that in salary capped leagues like HAL the difference comes down to 2 things, the quality of the marquee (SFS is a great example of this) and the quality of the coach. Given the long absence of our marquee, our poor form highlights the poor quality coaching and this is the one area where we have the potential largest gain to make. Kewell in form and Engelaar in form will make some difference but won't make up for poor style, poor tactics, more man management.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 2

Not sure where to put this. Here is an all time ladder for A-League teams compiled by Fox Sports:

1472867_641491925896730_1682788405_n.jpg

Mortifying wins ratio. And if we're lucky, this season we'll surpass the amount of points accumulated by Gold Coast United...

Well were not bottom !!

Goals against surprised me ... Im sure ive witnessed 200 go in 

Edited by DieHardRed

Not sure where to put this. Here is an all time ladder for A-League teams compiled by Fox Sports:

1472867_641491925896730_1682788405_n.jpg

Mortifying wins ratio. And if we're lucky, this season we'll surpass the amount of points accumulated by Gold Coast United...

One group of people have led this club through this shambles.

Still there.

Not good enough.

Actually it's worse than it looks prima facie.

What counts is points per game played.

Western Sydney: 1.974

Brisbane: 1.767

MV: 1.604

CCM: 1.559

Sydney: 1.507

Adelaide: 1.498

Newcastle 1.435

Gold Coast: 1.420

Wellington: 1.411

Perth 1.384

Heart: 1.221

North Queensland: 1.158

New Zealand Knights: 1.119

Actually it's worse than it looks prima facie.

What counts is points per game played.

Western Sydney: 1.974

Brisbane: 1.767

MV: 1.604

CCM: 1.559

Sydney: 1.507

Adelaide: 1.498

Newcastle 1.435

Gold Coast: 1.420

Wellington: 1.411

Perth 1.384

Heart: 1.221

North Queensland: 1.158

New Zealand Knights: 1.119

Yeah damn...

Thats just not good enough considering the 2 sides below us are now defunct...

Kudos to WSW for hitting the ground running since their inception.

Worth a look

this is what we stand for, we just don;t see this in our club anymore. JA are you watching?

Crating space , plenty of movement off the ball, a lot more then what we see at our games.

some of those teams will play us off the park.. and JA will blame it on the weather

Nah, we were just unlucky...

Worth a lookthis is what we stand for, we just don;t see this in our club anymore. JA are you watching?

Crating space , plenty of movement off the ball, a lot more then what we see at our games.

some of those teams will play us off the park.. and JA will blame it on the weather

Nah, we were just unlucky... This is all starting to sound like Durakovic 2.0

2dgq3hs.jpg

This is a graph done in a report called "A-League competitive balance", which was completed at the end of last season (by International Player Relations, I believe).

It visually shows why I've been getting increasingly vocal about Heart's situation. We're on a bad trajectory. However, I think things could be significantly otherwise if we could do well this season, and build on that next season. As I said at the start of the season I think this forth season is important, and we can significantly and positively improve this club's trajectory this season, or this club can further be pushed down a bad path if this season isn't successful.

If the latter occurs, the CEO Scott Munn and the Football Operations Manager John Didulica deserve to have a world of pressure put upon them. A bad season or two can be blamed on the coach, but with a longer period without success the blame must squarely be put on the main day to day administrators of the club, SM and JD (and the board as well, of course, but these 2 should be called out if this season goes pear-shaped).

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

If the latter occurs, the CEO Scott Munn and the Football Operations Manager John Didulica deserve to have a world of pressure put upon them. A bad season or two can be blamed on the coach, but with a longer period without success the blame must squarely be put on the main day to day administrators of the club, SM and JD (and the board as well, of course, but these 2 should be called out if this season goes pear-shaped).

Murf, IMO in reality the Board will largely be going along with the recommendations put to them by the senior management. They will do that until one or more of them decides that they have had enough and cannot go on without change.

Murf, IMO in reality the Board will largely be going along with the recommendations put to them by the senior management. They will do that until one or more of them decides that they have had enough and cannot go on without change.

I agree that the board seem to largely be going along with what they are told by SM, JD and the coaching staff. And the few reports about the board's thinking (such as that Davutovic report a few weeks ago) claim that the Heart board is pretty sanguine with Heart's situation ATM, which suggests that SM and JD are telling the board that the status quo is okay (as Munn actually said in the media several weeks ago "we are not hitting the panic button", and it seems him and JD still pretty much think that).

So, by telling the board to stay the course, SM and JD are prolonging our failure, and if our season continues to flat-line then they deserve to be criticised as much as the coaching staff and the board, who are copping most of the flak right now. Think of it as a two-pronged approach: the board get messages straight from the supporters AND SM and JD have pressure applied on them so they stop telling the Heart board that everything is rosy ATM.

Edited by Murfy1

I think that's why it's important that season ticket holders write directly to the Chairman. We don't know what the Board is being told by the football department but we do know what they will be hearing from the media!

I endorse the highlighted comment.

I know that Bela has written to Peter Sidwell, and so have I. We took slightly different tacks, but the messages were similar.

Provided one is civil there can be no harm in expressing concern about the direction that the club is heading.

• Like 1

We are watching the 'tards play Perth. My eldest son is cheering for the others. I asked him why he is doing this (and suggested he might like to go to bed) and he told me his friends support the visitors and that "they are better than Heart".

How can you argue? We really need to step up - NOW!

• Like 2

We are watching the 'tards play Perth. My eldest son is cheering for the others. I asked him why he is doing this (and suggested he might like to go to bed) and he told me his friends support the visitors and that "they are better than Heart".

So bed without dinner then I assume?

tumblr_lwsbmaBLPy1r5gxtwo1_500.jpg

And it's things like this that are concrete proof why adults should still be able to give the little ones a wee clip round the ears...

• Like 1

Did you explain he was free to support 'tards if he liked and hopefully he would have no trouble finding a new house to live in?

Tottenham have just sacked AVB, let's make a statement of intent that we want to be a club of excellence and sign him :D . (as if...)

Such is the tight ship we run that we can afford to neither sack anyone nor hire anyone. I'm sure Munn et al are running an excel spreadsheet looking to optimise the timing of Aloisi's departure with projected stockmarket corrections, Kewell's hamstring tightness and the next bid for our club by a Saudi sheik, Ruski billionaire or a bunch of Greek fruiterers down in Oakleigh.

• Like 1