Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart, what do we stand for?

AzureKingfisher

Admittedly I posted this in a rush and I'm starting to regret the title of the thread. Maybe a better title would have been 'how do we improve' or 'how do we build long term'. I know full well there's every chance Aloisi could take us to the finals if we get our injured players firing when they return. We could still have a decent season with a reversal of luck...look at Sydney.

I think certain things can help us improve as a club and help us leave a legacy, and those are the things I listed.

That's why it's imperative you shaft John and pressure the board to go back to your original identity, which was that of a youth breeding ground playing football the right way and engaging with the community, not a negative, cynical retirement village.

I'm all for getting rid of the clueless cunt, but you make it sound as if we were an unstoppable force before he came along.

The reality is that we've been incredibly average since our inception on the pitch, and things such as blooding youth and playing a passing game isn't an identity.

We haven't lost our way, we just have a spastic for a coach and a lack of pride in the city and fans. Developing youth and playing attractive football won't grow us, good results and fighting for the city name will.

'Standing for something' is probably one of my most hated cliches of sport.

Don't really care what a club 'stands for'. I just wanna watch a winning team and drink with a bunch of good blokes at the game.

Well said. Don't have to justify our existence or force some sort of rushed philosophy - let it grow organically and just do what you can to slowly grow the supporter base.

• Like 1

I don't get why we think a club needs an identity or to stand for something.

What a load of crap, the only people concerned with what we stand for don't support the club

What does Collingwood or Carlton stand for - absolututly nothing. Just 2 teams that rival each other.

There are some mighty unsuccessful AFL teams that have been around for 100+ years 

We are Crap now, but that will change - hopefully this week

We stand for football in Melbourne.

Are u actually serious?

You’re talking about two of the oldest football clubs in the world who have genuinely represented two very old Suburbs.

Just some Themes for you to look up:

Collingwood: The Working Class, John Wren, Irish Migration, Archbishop Manix, Greek Migration and Catholicism.

Carlton: Sir Robert Menzies, Italian Migration, Melbourne University, Early Jewish Migration, Early Protestant Establishment.

There are numerous books written about this stuff as well.

may

What a load of crap, the only people concerned with what we stand for don't support the club

What does Collingwood or Carlton stand for - absolututly nothing. Just 2 teams that rival each other.

There are some mighty unsuccessful AFL teams that have been around for 100+ years 

Are u actually serious?

You’re talking about two of the oldest football clubs in the world who have genuinely represented two very old Suburbs.

Collingwood: The Working Class, John Wren, Irish Migration, Archbishop Manix, Greek Migration and Catholicism.

Carlton: Sir Robert Menzies, Italian Migration, Melbourne University, Early Jewish Migration, Early Protestant Establishment.

Maybe back in the 19th century thats what they represented! Its not what they reprsenent now - you could be lucky to find a supporter from both their teams in the actual suburbs of the same name

The sporting lanscape has changed a little over time....  

The only identity a club gets from persistent failure in this country is the nostalgia you get when you look at a Failed club like GCU or NQF.

There is no point comparing our situation to NQF or Gold Coast. These clubs no longer exist (in the HAL anyway) because of entirely different reasons to what we are going through. Neither are one are gone  because of results on the pitch. North Queensland's results didnt help their cause, but its not why they are gone. As for Gold Coast, well we all know what happened there.

It's bloody football

Unless you're winning, you stand for nothing in the end

Keep loosing and no one will want to associate with the club no matter how many unicorns you use at half time entertainment or how much fairy dust you sprinkle over all the community engagement.

Grow up you twerp. It's not about winning... Success is a mere chapter in club history, support is what keeps a club alive whether through thick or thin.

I don't know how many people are with me but providing we get the spoon every year I'd still be there. That's what supporting a club is about... You know the true loyalty in the rough times and savour the moment for the good times... That's what separates us from the mongs...

EDIT: in terms of identity at leastIt's called reality of football I'm Australia you ignorant flog ( since we calling each other names)

It isn't Europe with clubs carrying 100+ years of history behind them, ups and downs

My concern is longevity of the club. Our on field record isn't much better then Gold Coast.

Where are they now.

All of us can stand on south-side singing but when the franchise holders start loosing serious money they will walk away.

I'm not supporting smfc like I will never support mv

Why the fuck are you even mentioning smfc of mv?

All of us will stand on the south side regardless of the result. The club would've walked by now if they wanted instant success. I've never even heard you introduce yourself let alone sing on the south side...

Winning isn't everything. It doesn't take an "ignorant flog" to reallise that. Otherwise the premier league would have 2 teams, the current Scottish league would have 1, the Spanish league would only have 2....

We can go on and on...

My argument in case your illiterate eyes couldn't read, was why the fuck you would think winning is everything?

Could you not support a club that gives back to its community, a club that actively supports grass-roots football? A club that has a structured youth program for the future success of the club?

We're going through a bad time. Big fucking whoop. These things happen... If you applied the same theory to an afl team you'd have a different scarf every year...

Don't even understand what you're getting at with that post...

may

Are u actually serious?

Maybe back in the 19th century thats what they represented! Its not what they reprsenent now - you could be lucky to find a supporter from both their teams in the actual suburbs of the same name

The sporting lanscape has changed a little over time....  

1. Most of those things occured in the 1900's.

2. And its these things that Supporters use to connect themselves to these clubs despite not living in the Club's Name Place.

3. And before u say nobody cares about this stuff: There are at least 10 regular users on this Forum that do.

Edited by cadete

It's bloody football

Keep loosing and no one will want to associate with the club no matter how many unicorns you use at half time entertainment or how much fairy dust you sprinkle over all the community engagement.

Grow up you twerp. It's not about winning... Success is a mere chapter in club history, support is what keeps a club alive whether through thick or thin.

I don't know how many people are with me but providing we get the spoon every year I'd still be there. That's what supporting a club is about... You know the true loyalty in the rough times and savour the moment for the good times... That's what separates us from the mongs...

EDIT: in terms of identity at leastIt's called reality of football I'm Australia you ignorant flog ( since we calling each other names)

It isn't Europe with clubs carrying 100+ years of history behind them, ups and downs

My concern is longevity of the club. Our on field record isn't much better then Gold Coast.

Where are they now.

All of us can stand on south-side singing but when the franchise holders start loosing serious money they will walk away.

I'm not supporting smfc like I will never support mv Why the fuck are you even mentioning smfc of mv?

All of us will stand on the south side regardless of the result. The club would've walked by now if they wanted instant success. I've never even heard you introduce yourself let alone sing on the south side...

Winning isn't everything. It doesn't take an "ignorant flog" to reallise that. Otherwise the premier league would have 2 teams, the current Scottish league would have 1, the Spanish league would only have 2....

We can go on and on...

My argument in case your illiterate eyes couldn't read, was why the fuck you would think winning is everything?

Could you not support a club that gives back to its community, a club that actively supports grass-roots football? A club that has a structured youth program for the future success of the club?

We're going through a bad time. Big fucking whoop. These things happen... If you applied the same theory to an afl team you'd have a different scarf every year...

Don't even understand what you're getting at with that post... At what point did I say winning is EVERYTHING?

Or we must have instant success?

Or the comp should be played only by 2 or 3 best teams

So glad you know everyone who sings on south side

You must be proud

It's ridiculous

Love your simplistic interpretation

After you come down please read your own post to see how much of the things we should like about the club are still happening there at the moment.

1. Most of those things occured in the 1900's.

2. And its these things that Supporters use to connect themselves to these clubs despite not living in the Club's Name Place.

3. And before u say nobody cares about this stuff: There are at least 10 regular users on this Forum that do.

I Take it all back,

I've supported one of these teams for 40 years, and i can say it wasnt because of what they used to represent, and was not aware or even cared. I dont even know why i support my team.

I doubt any of these teams in the current environment would even dare to say they are assoiciated with any specific reliogion or group for fear of outing another group.

I chose heart not for what it represents, but because it was another team that was not victory.

Today, all (top level) teams represent all people - anything else is marketing spin .   

It's bloody football

Where are they now.

I'm not supporting smfc like I will never support mvWhy the fuck are you even mentioning smfc of mv?

We can go on and on...

Don't even understand what you're getting at with that post...At what point did I say winning is EVERYTHING?

Or we must have instant success?

Or the comp should be played only by 2 or 3 best teams

So glad you know everyone who sings on south side

You must be proud

It's ridiculous

Love your simplistic interpretation

After you come down please read your own post to see how much of the things we should like about the club are still happening there at the moment.

Yeah it's bad at the moment. It's not like we haven't faced this adversity before...

As for coming down I'm on well good terms with reality you wank stain...

You're the one saying the board will walk when bad results come and I'm the one who said they haven't walked yet.

I for one am proud that I know everyone who turns up at the pub, before the game and after the game... Regardless of the result. They sing through the 90 minutes whatever the result may be. Fucking right I'm proud to be a part of that.

Yes the club is going through shit but we wouldn't be SUPPORTERS if we weren't prepared to face tough times...

I'm sorry for having faith in the board. I know the coach has to go but it's the boards decision and as a supporter of the club it leaves me no choice but to somehow find understanding in what they see fit to do with him.

This arguments about the fact that you seem to think football is about winning and that any board will walk as soon as their club starts losing... (See your previous comments).

Why don't you instead fuck off and give your season ticket to somebody who will be there regardless of whether it's the spoon or the toilet seat that we will be congratulated with...

i believe this question is very relevent , what does the Heart stand for, who does the Heart represent?

Cadete's response to Schrecky is perfect! and to add on that, Carlton and Collingwood represent the suburbs of Carlton and Collingwood, where they were based, thats were they played, trained, ect. (obviously now days things have changed slightly but the roots are still there)

Melbourne Heart represent melbourne; yet we base ourselves in bloody Bundoora in the middle of nothing, with little to no presence in and around "Melbourne".
Syd Fc hold similiar "values" to Real Madrid; eliteist, we demand to be one of the best or we won't show
WSW: communitiy, tough to beat, effort from fans/players/club is always 100%
MV: the big V, attacking football, biggest club - "us against the world"

From the get go we've been told MH is about playing good football, "Dutch football" and also the promoion of youth and bringing up talant.
Now we have Aloisi who over the past 2yrs has brought in a lot of mature players and gone away from the playing style of the first couple of seasons and aims to be "harder to beat". We see his team sitting back, trying (most of the time failing) to counter or knocking long looping balls to possiblly the shorts front 3 in the league.

Now, what the club does from here will be interesting. Will they be firm on their ideals and methdology when we first came into the league or will change because it hasn't work yet. Because you can't say we're all about youth, bringing in our own and playing Dutch football and at the same time have a coach like Aloisi. IMO that's where this lost of identiy its coming from

• Like 3

Great post!

Now, what the club does from here will be interesting. Will they be firm on their ideals and methdology when we first came into the league or will change because it hasn't work yet. Because you can't say we're all about youth, bringing in our own and playing Dutch football and at the same time have a coach like Aloisi. IMO that's where this lost of identiy its coming from

This is what I am most interested in. I think people are getting sick of the club saying "we are going to do this and that" but never actually doing it. I personally dont mind if the club does change its ideals (it is inevitable that will happen for a club so young), all I care about is that what ever they do, they back up their words with actions. As I have mentioned numerous times I would love to see them focus more on what is happening on the pitch and using that as a building block before they start worrying about the rest of it. But what ever they do, they need to do it well

FWIW a club having "Meaning" has nothing to do how PPL chose to follow it...

In the 70's PPL in Milwall would have been made Lions fans from the time of birth.

It would only be as they were growing up that they would have realised how big a part of Identity the Club played in their insular Working Class community.

• Like 1

FWIW a club having "Meaning" has nothing to do how PPL chose to follow it...

In the 70's PPL in Milwall would have been made Lions fans from the time of birth.

It would only be as they were growing up that they would have realised how big a part of Identity the Club played in their insular Working Class community.

Amen

Peterc

One thing I appreciate is your passion for the club

But calling another supporter a come stain fuck off, etc is you have to admit very immature.

You know nothing about me or my background, so if it makes you feel better go ahead. I've been called worse before.

As for my comments about winning, you have misunderstood my intentions.

Winning games=being competitive

Creates respect and stands for something in public eye.

In my old country cracovia is the team which following cost me broken ribs amongst other things every time we met wisla

You didn't see me jump ship because they had stacks more championships then we did

ICBF listing all I did to support heart from day 1

Not important here, you seem to be the know it all

Peterc

But calling another supporter a come stain fuck off, etc is you have to admit very immature.

You know nothing about me or my background, so if it makes you feel better go ahead. I've been called worse before.

In my old country cracovia is the team which following cost me broken ribs amongst other things every time we met wisla

You didn't see me jump ship because they had stacks more championships then we did

Were you in Danny Dyer real football factories? Edited by TOPCAT
  • Like 1

Peterc

Were you in Danny Dyer real football factories?

Wisla sharks got ya

What did melbouren heart stand for on and off the pitch in the beginning? Youth development, playing attractive possession football and community

What does melbourne heart stand for now? Besides community im not sure what else, maybe someone can enlighten me, because we certainly dont play possesional football and youth has taken a back seat to 'winning'

Melbourne Heart FC ... In simple terms we are a Melbourne based club, we wear red and white, we are controlled by a Board and a Chairman, we were founded in 2008 and we were the 12th team in the A-League and first played in the 10/11 season, we play at the best stadium in Australia, our business operations are run out of La trobe uni which is also our main training facility but we do train at a number of different venues, we are known for our wheelie bin ice baths, our supporters are passionate and care about the club and actively try to grow our membership and convert others to jump on board, we are a family club, we have a rednut (ticker) for a mascot, our first ever goal was an own goal, the santa hat will always be celebrated by the club, we have the excellent Yarraside as our active support, there is a good level of ongoing engagement between the club and its supporters (and we have an official Fan Rep Group), our arch rivals are the tards, we have produced some "Good" young players in our short history (and will continue to do so with our academy), we've had an excellent Fanzine in Ship Happens, we have an excellent social media presence, we have a club that practices financial prudence and strives to turn a profit ...

...and yes of recent we have been playing like crap and we just cannot win with a coach whose days are seemingly numbered...

... but we do stand for something, we stand for Melbourne Heart

• Like 5

As a new club, it's difficult to stand for something in the early stages of existence. That will come with time. It's difficult to see modern clubs in the same light, but sporting clubs often do have a very strong foundation in an identity or cause. Whether it be the working class, a group of people, a nation, sporting clubs have often played an important role in uniting people of the same beliefs. If anyone can be bothered watch this video, it's a great example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aR3qgaLlN0

• Like 3

As a new club, it's difficult to stand for something in the early stages of existence. That will come with time. It's difficult to see modern clubs in the same light, but sporting clubs often do have a very strong foundation in an identity or cause. Whether it be the working class, a group of people, a nation, sporting clubs have often played an important role in uniting people of the same beliefs. If anyone can be bothered watch this video, it's a great example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aR3qgaLlN0

Brilliant stuff! The old archive material and the guys memory of events made it special. Time will tell what we HeartFC stand for. There'll be many mistakes, some fantastic moments and dire moments. All of these make a club - in time. There is no point in agonising over this when we are so young. As long as there are fans with a passion and players to entertain us we just have to enjoy the ride. Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 1

It really is a shame Aloisi has laid waste to your point of difference with Victory by playing such an awful, ugly brand of Stoke-style hoofball. Shouldn't managers be signed to fit the overarching philosophy? You're at risk of becoming Sydney FC - such a confused mess with instability the only constant on and off the pitch.

Keeping in mind I am not fussed whether you fix it or not, just a shame to see any club that isn't Sydney follow their lead.

Scouse_roar lets be honest and say you are a huge flog. The fact that you have the time to post on a Melbourne Heart forum as a Brisbane supporter (and lets be honest you probably post on all the others) says it all about your life.

We are at risk of becoming a club that continues having a losing culture. Once this is fixed most other facets of the club will be fixed. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Young Socceroos coach Paul Okon has selected 23 players for a three-day training camp at the AIS in Canberra next week.

The camp is the start of preparations for the AFC Under-19 Championships in Myanmar next October, which double as qualifiers for the FIFA Under-20 World Cup in New Zealand in July 2015.

Okon said that the commencement of the 2013-2014 National Youth League had provided an insight to the next generation of eligible players.

“We are going through a process to identify a larger pool of players and that will start with this first group,” Okon said.

“Over the coming months we will be running a number of these camps that will allow me to see the quality of these players.

“This is a great opportunity for these players to come into a national team camp environment and see how they adapt both on and off the field.”

SQUAD: Daniel Alessi (Western Sydney Wanderers), Shannon Brady, (Brisbane Roar), Brandon Borello (Brisbane Roar), Aaron Calver (Sydney FC), Devante Clut (Brisbane Roar), Keegan Coulter (Melbourne Victory), Shayne D’Cunha (West Sydney Wanderers), Daniel De Silva (Perth Glory), Scott Galloway (Melbourne Victory), Ben Garuccio (Melbourne Heart), Hagi Gligor (Sydney FC), Anthony Kalik (AIS), Michael Kantarovski (Newcastle Jets), Awer Mabil (Adelaide United), Joshua Macdonald (Sydney FC), Marc Marino (AIS), Tristan Prendergast (Sydney FC), Liam Rose (AIS), Jaushua Sotirio (Western Sydney Wanderers), Jordan Thurtell (AIS), Jaiden Walker (Brisbane Roar), Ben Warland (AIS), Riley Woodcock (Perth Glory).

U20s squad selected for a training camp, only 1 Heart player in the extended squad. What has happened to our player development?

Of course the single Heart player selected hasn't even appeared once in a senior game all season

Young Socceroos coach Paul Okon has selected 23 players for a three-day training camp at the AIS in Canberra next week.

O'Connor calls for 'Dutch' rethink

The camp is the start of preparations for the AFC Under-19 Championships in Myanmar next October, which double as qualifiers for the FIFA Under-20 World Cup in New Zealand in July 2015.

Okon said that the commencement of the 2013-2014 National Youth League had provided an insight to the next generation of eligible players.

“We are going through a process to identify a larger pool of players and that will start with this first group,” Okon said.

“Over the coming months we will be running a number of these camps that will allow me to see the quality of these players.

“This is a great opportunity for these players to come into a national team camp environment and see how they adapt both on and off the field.”

SQUAD: Daniel Alessi (Western Sydney Wanderers), Shannon Brady, (Brisbane Roar), Brandon Borello (Brisbane Roar), Aaron Calver (Sydney FC), Devante Clut (Brisbane Roar), Keegan Coulter (Melbourne Victory), Shayne D’Cunha (West Sydney Wanderers), Daniel De Silva (Perth Glory), Scott Galloway (Melbourne Victory), Ben Garuccio (Melbourne Heart), Hagi Gligor (Sydney FC), Anthony Kalik (AIS), Michael Kantarovski (Newcastle Jets), Awer Mabil (Adelaide United), Joshua Macdonald (Sydney FC), Marc Marino (AIS), Tristan Prendergast (Sydney FC), Liam Rose (AIS), Jaushua Sotirio (Western Sydney Wanderers), Jordan Thurtell (AIS), Jaiden Walker (Brisbane Roar), Ben Warland (AIS), Riley Woodcock (Perth Glory).

U20s squad selected for a training camp, only 1 Heart player in the extended squad. What has happened to our player development?

Of course the single Heart player selected hasn't even appeared once in a senior game all season

Yeah its something that has been a decline for a while.

Loved the fact when we came in we had all these young players making the young Socceroos. We were known for it and most young players wanted to come to us because of the opportunity we presented to these youngsters. Some made bad decisions like Babalj the first time he left but these kids got big big clubs looking at them because they were given an opportunity.

I keep repeating it but Garrucio, Retre, Walker, Mauk, Petreski, Vrankovic are all capable of playing a big role. If we had a manager who could develop and encourage and teach we would have an exciting crop.

Seen a lot of Mauk and he's a big talent. Should be disappointed in the club he's not with the Young Socceroos. With Kewell out he should have been in his place and given a shot.

Hate to say it but the team down the road are doing it better than us. What we stood for has been eroded. Damn shame.

• Like 5

O'Connor calls for 'Dutch' rethink

Yeah its something that has been a decline for a while.

Loved the fact when we came in we had all these young players making the young Socceroos. We were known for it and most young players wanted to come to us because of the opportunity we presented to these youngsters. Some made bad decisions like Babalj the first time he left but these kids got big big clubs looking at them because they were given an opportunity.

I keep repeating it but Garrucio, Retre, Walker, Mauk, Petreski, Vrankovic are all capable of playing a big role. If we had a manager who could develop and encourage and teach we would have an exciting crop.

Seen a lot of Mauk and he's a big talent. Should be disappointed in the club he's not with the Young Socceroos. With Kewell out he should have been in his place and given a shot.

Hate to say it but the team down the road are doing it better than us. What we stood for has been eroded. Damn shame.

I agree basically on all fronts. We wanted to play attacking possession based football while playing youth and thereby engaging the fans. The other mob shit their dacks found a coach who could do these things, started doing them and as a result have left us with an identity crisis. Next move heart board.

Garruccio has played well enough in the youth team to make a Young Socceroos squad but despite our senior team being at the bottom of the league he apparently isn't good enough to play even 1 minute for the senior team. Why would be want to stay with Heart next season?

In fact what incentive is there for any of our young players to stay with us after their contracts expire?

I don't care a rat's about JA's puerile exhibition of "passion" - he's destroying this club.

Aloisi out.

• Like 2

Wish I could nitpick and disagree with the above criticisms, but they are all too painfully correct.

The blue side of this city strategically outsmarted Heart when they got Postecoglou. He made them known for attacking & attractive football and promoting youth. And worse at the same time we opted for JA, who's brought his aging friends and horrible football to Heart.

I wouldn't quite call it an 'identity crisis', but it has made it much more difficult to tell a clear and coherent story about Melbourne Heart, and what we're all about (which probably explains why we have such vague and bland marketing campaigns).

Also, it should be noted that we've kept growing, with more supporters coming to the club season on season, despite all the missteps and wasted opportunities. So this club will keep on growing, and even gross incompetence can't stop it. So there's only one question: 'is this club growing as quickly as it can and should'? And the answer now is clearly no.

I reckon this club will move back towards its original values once we turn the page on this terrible chapter of the club.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1