Melbourne Football

RND 3 Heart v Perth (Sun 27th - away)

Cinnamon

Lol Mac couldn't get a game at Dandenong.... His been kicked out of around 7 clubs. His recorde at Heart has proven how bad he is. How can you be happy with his goal tally? His gone next season anyway, they should of only put him on a one year contract... Like I said when he copped his hammy, thank god it happened because he would of wasted some kids spot.

Kewells out.

Postecoglou did not want him at Victory.

Hmmm..wonder what has osieck's sacking and Postecogolou's appointment meant for Kewell's World Cup chances?

And Harry's commitment to play the season out...?

I'll admit it doesn't look great at first, but at the same time it might be exactly what Harry needs to fire him up and tear the competition apart if he wants another World Cup berth badly enough.

Great observation on this topic. So far his first game wasn't too bad, the creativity is still there. Apart from that I must admit his entry into the team has been a little bit underwhelming, early days though to be fair!!

Kewells out.

Hmmm..wonder what has osieck's sacking and Postecogolou's appointment meant for Kewell's World Cup chances?

I am pretty sure you are wrong there. I remember a few articles and interviews about when Postecoglou took over MV and there was all that speculation about Kewells MV contract, that Ange came out and said he had a game plan pretty  much based around Kewell and now had to change it all because he left. You know how sometimes he gets a little whingy in interviews? It was that kind of context when he said it.  Ill try and find it but I am almost certain that was the case, they were all desperate for him to stay.

I guess now that Kewell pretty much has no chance of getting to the world cup we will see how dedicated he really is to our club. 

here are just a few things

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/04/27/postecoglou-with-victory-now-for-kewell/

http://www.mfootball.com.au/kewell-departs-victory/

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/ange-postecoglou-says-he-wants-harry-kewell-on-board-at-melbourne-victory-next-a-league-season/story-e6frg6n6-1226339085414

although none of those have the gameplan comment. 

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

Kewells out.

I'll admit it doesn't look great at first, but at the same time it might be exactly what Harry needs to fire him up and tear the competition apart if he wants another World Cup berth badly enough.

Great observation on this topic. So far his first game wasn't too bad, the creativity is still there. Apart from that I must admit his entry into the team has been a little bit underwhelming, early days though to be fair!!

Well look at it this way... this season will almost certainly be the last of his career so he can either give up early and be demonised by the Australian public, or he can go out there and give it his all week in and week out (which I think he will if he can get back onto the park asap) and regardless of whether he makes the final 23 in Brazil or not, he'll go out a hero.

Kewells out.

Being one of the best players in the derby was a pretty good start if you ask me. 

• Like 1

HK out is of no surprise, a 4Hr flight with a stiff neck & back ....... !!

Like i said before he would not travel to WA but Brisbane is likely.

Naw poor baby has to get on a plane to Perth with whiplash. Fucking joke.

Whiplash ffs? Seriously?

This club is fucked.

The problem may not be muscular but neurological. The spinal cord is encased by bone and the nerves exit the cord through bony canals. If they are traumatised, they swell (like any tissue) but then start to compress as they reach the limits imposed by the boney walls. This can cause pain and numbness, often in arms or legs. If the neck muscles swell they can also compress the nerves in the brachial plexus of nerves that run out of your neck into your arms. It takes time for the swelling to subside, and there are clear risks in aggravating it. No 34 year player is going to play an uninterrupted season in any case, so if it wasn't this it would be something else.

• Like 2

Whiplash ffs? Seriously?

This club is fucked.

The problem may not be muscular but neurological. The spinal cord is encased by bone and the nerves exit the cord through bony canals. If they are traumatised, they swell (like any tissue) but then start to compress as they reach the limits imposed by the boney walls. This can cause pain and numbness, often in arms or legs. If the neck muscles swell they can also compress the nerves in the brachial plexus of nerves that run out of your neck into your arms. It takes time for the swelling to subside, and there are clear risks in aggravating it. No 34 year player is going to play an uninterrupted season in any case, so if it wasn't this it would be something else.

Good point!

Whiplash ffs? Seriously?

This club is fucked.

Yeah I'm sure that's it mate.

Kewells out.

Being one of the best players in the derby was a pretty good start if you ask me. 

You're right, i think it's always disappointing when a key player is injured though.

A tidbit from David Davutovic, speaking on Fox Sports Kick Off show (which runs before the Friday A-League match). He said "Michael Mifsud, he's back in the [Heart] squad this week, saw him at training this week, he looked really really sharp".

Mifsud should be match ready, after playing 2 90 international matches with Malta, and he'll have had a full week training with Heart before the match against Perth on Sunday. I expect him to start.

Perth shipped 3 goals against Adelaide in round 1, and they didn't look much better against Newcastle (the result was 0-0, only because Newcastle couldn't score against an under 12 side right now).

Given that all our forwards are available, fit and in pretty good form, I'd be surprised if we didn't score against Perth.

If our unchanged defence keeps up its good work, this should be a pretty easy win IMO. Besides Newcastle, and maybe Sydney, this is about the perfect first away game for us.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

the 1st 2 games have been long balls to gol gol and he has been holding his own in the air, with mifsud up front i really cant see us scoring, rather having 2 or 3 good chances and we will need to score from that, we are in struggle town imo

Most of the long balls have been over the heads of the strikers though for them to run on to, will be interesting to see whether JA deploys the same tactics or mixes it up a bit.

We will be found out if we keep playing the same basic gameplan all season.

Aloisi excited about Mifsud impact

Saturday, 26 October 2013

Melbourne Heart FC Head Coach John Aloisi is hoping Michael Mifsud will make an immediate impact against Perth Glory in tomorrow’s Round Three Hyundai A-League encounter.

Mifsud is set to debut for the Red and White at nib Stadium after missing the Club’s opening two fixtures as a result of international duty with the Maltese national team.

Aloisi hopes the Malta international, who returned to training with Melbourne during the week, adds another dynamic to his attack, which has already illustrated its potency in a 2-2 draw with Central Coast Mariners.

“[i’m] excited about Mifsud, he’s looked good in training, he’s sharp, he’s always energetic on and off the pitch – he’s a lively guy – and I can’t wait to see him play,” Aloisi said.

Aloisi said that the 32-year-old had been in good spirits since returning to Melbourne - after featuring in two World Cup Qualifiers – and was a great presence on the training track during the week.

“He’s very lively; he’s always talking, he’s always joking around with the players and he’s got that confidence that most strikers do have,” Aloisi said.

Mifsud will vie for a starting berth in Heart’s front three with Iain Ramsay, Golgol Mebrahtu and Mate Dugandzic, and his pace could provide the Red and White with a lethal combination in the front third.

Ramsay, Mebrahtu and Dugandzic – alongside David Williams, who played in the number 10 role last week – illustrated Aloisi’s side possesses speed and creativity and Mifsud’s introduction could only bolster an already strong attacking line-up.

“I thought [Ramsay] did really well,” Aloisi said. “It’s difficult coming into a new side to get to know the movement we are looking for… and I thought he caused [the Mariners] problems all day and he was probably one of our better players.”

Aloisi’s side has not only demonstrated attacking proficiency, but also an organised midfield – consisting of Andrea Migliorini and Massimo Murdocca – and a structured defence, led by the experienced duo of Patrick Kisnorbo and Robbie Wielaert, which is yet to concede from open play.

“We think we’ve built a squad that defensively will do well, and also we have dangerous players going forward,” Aloisi said.

While captain Harry Kewell (whiplash) will miss the trip west, Aloisi remains wary that Glory at nib Stadium always presents a challenging assignment.

Glory is winless from its opening two matches, but will be desperate to impress in its first match in front of a home crowd this season.

“Perth are a good side… they’ve got a lot of young boys that are very talented,” Aloisi said.

“[i’m] impressed with [Jamie] Maclaren’s movement up front, I think he’s a dangerous player; they’ll have [Ryo] Nagai back from last week and also [Michael] Thwaite, so they’ll be stronger than they were in their first two games and also over there in Perth they are a difficult side to play against.”

The Round Three clash commences at 2pm (local) and 5pm (AEDT) on Sunday afternoon.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Aloisi-excited-about-Mifsud-impact/77560

Edited by Murfy1

It sounds like Williams will play in the number 10 position again. Also, it sounds like Mifsud and Ramsay will start.

So either Dugandzic or Golgol will be benched, I'd guess. I'd prefer to bench Dugandzic and play Golgol on the right wing, as IMO Dugandzic has started the season slowly.

This had to be a hammy or something els, we are just covering it up with wip lash.... Imagine the press if Harry had pulled a hammy first game in... I think Heart have done well to cover this injury up

He did a great job of walking off without the faintest hint of a limp then so that must be it! :wub:  :angry:

Watching CCM v AU and Marinators not dominating possession but breaking swiftly on counter. JA's game plan for us this year.

If we can get pretty comfortable wins like the Mariners did today, then I'm fine with that for this season (and as I noted in the other thread, I expect our style of football to evolve as this season progresses, and I reckon we'll be significantly more attacking as we get Mifsud then Kewell then Engelaar in the team).

• Like 3

Heart aiming for Glory

Michael Lynch

October 27, 2013

With all the focus and attention directed at Melbourne Victory over the past fortnight, it's been easy to forget that there is another club in the city.

But Melbourne Heart has been happy enough, at this early stage of the season, to fly under the radar and let the spotlight settle above AAMI Park - especially as it is not in action in its home city for another couple of weeks, until it entertains Western Sydney Wanderers on November 8.

John Aloisi, Heart's coach, is reasonably happy with the way his side has performed this season although he believes it should have four points from its two games, not two.

With Victory gaining its first win of the season on Friday night against Brisbane, Heart will be anxious to keep pace with its cross-city rival although it won't be easy in the west, where it faces Perth Glory on Sunday.

Heart would not be still searching for its first win had it not conceded two late penalties in its game against Central Coast Mariners last weekend - a game in which Aloisi's new-look side had the better of the champions for much of the match.

Still, young striker Golgol Mebrahtu showed real promise for the future with a display of power and pace that gave one of the most promising young central defenders in the country, Trent Sainsbury, plenty of problems. David Williams, with two goals, looked sharp, while Iain Ramsay can only improve from his first run of the season.

The fact that Heart didn't really miss injured skipper Harry Kewell in that draw with the Mariners is a testament to the depth of the squad Aloisi and his assistant Hayden Foxe have put together.

Kewell, who is suffering from a whiplash injury sustained in the season-opening scoreless draw with Victory, has not made the trip to the west. Williams, who filled in his role in behind the front man, will do so again against Perth.

Mebrahtu, impressive in a central striker role, may have to shift to the right to accommodate Heart's new signing, Michael Mifsud.

The captain of the Maltese national team missed the first two matches of the season because he was away on international duty with his country - for which he made his 100th appearance and scored against the Czech Republic, the 38th time he has been on target for his country.

Ramsay is likely to be persisted with on the left, meaning Mate Dugandzic will likely drop to the bench against Perth.

The latter has started the first two matches of the season having missed all of the last campaign through injury, and is still trying to get up to speed.

Aloisi said at the start of the season that his main priority was to tighten Heart's defence and make his side difficult to beat. In Rob Wielaert and Patrick Kisnorbo he has two experienced and hard-nosed centre halves. Last season Heart failed to win out of Melbourne, but it is its bloody minded defenders who, should Heart get its nose in front at the weekend, are far more likely to be able to keep it there this time.

''I think we are in pretty good shape,'' Aloisi said on Saturday.

''I am pleased with the way we have defended this season. We worked hard on our structure in the pre-season and that has helped a lot. We need to improve when we have the ball, but I think we have the players in forward areas who can hurt other teams.''

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/heart-aiming-for-glory-20131026-2w8n1.html

Edited by Murfy1

We could be second tomorrow with a two goal win. Or we could be last with a heavy defeat.

Even though it's only round 3, I can't help thinking this game is a fair bit more important than an average early season game. This Perth side is one we should beat if we're going to be good. And being our first game outside of Melbourne, it can either continue our poor away record from last year, which can compound pressure over travelling, or it can end it and restore some confidence.

We did a bit of travelling during pre-season, including Perth, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was planned to help us prepare for away games during the season. I think, well I hope, the coaches are serious about making us a much tougher travelling team. So for me, it shapes as an important test. Three points tomorrow can mean a bit more than just three points. And a loss will put a bit of pressure on us even at this early stage, especially with Brisbane and West Sydney coming up.

However, I'm fairly confident that we can carry on last week's form for a 2-0 win.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 2

Why can't people accept that Hoffman > Walker.

All the Walker stans need to stop making up ridiculous stories like the one about him being busy finishing uni, even though he is a professional footballer, which do nothing but make our club look amature, and just accept that he isn't in the squad because he isn't first choice at right back.

• Like 1

Lol Mac couldn't get a game at Dandenong.... His been kicked out of around 7 clubs. His recorde at Heart has proven how bad he is. How can you be happy with his goal tally? His gone next season anyway, they should of only put him on a one year contract... Like I said when he copped his hammy, thank god it happened because he would of wasted some kids spot.

This had to be a hammy or something els, we are just covering it up with wip lash.... Imagine the press if Harry had pulled a hammy first game in... I think Heart have done well to cover this injury up

I have seen a lot of shit posters on both this forum and the old Yarraside one, but you really are a rare talent in this field. :up:

• Like 4

Why can't people accept that Hoffman > Walker.

All the Walker stans need to stop making up ridiculous stories like the one about him being busy finishing uni, even though he is a professional footballer, which do nothing but make our club look amature, and just accept that he isn't in the squad because he isn't first choice at right back.

Hoffman's done well so far, but for Walker to not get a look-in during pre-season and now not even be able to make the extended squad suggests more than just being second-best.

Walker was one of our few shining lights last season and as others have said, JA coached him in the youth league as well and saw this quality so why would he suddenly banish him from the squad all of a sudden, especially in favour of a player playing in an untried position? Just doesn't make sense.

Starting lineup prediction:

Mifsud

Ramsay----Williams----Mebrahtu

-----Migliorini------Murdocca------

Behich-Wielaert-Kisnorbo-Hoffman

--------------Redmayne---------------

BENCH

Velaphi

Dugandzic

Gerhardt

Mauk

Garuccio

Should be the line up. Wouldn't mind seeing Mauk and Garuccio with some game time, but given how little use of substitutes we've seen from JA this year I think it's unlikely to see them both.

• Like 1

Things I'd like to see (besides the obvious, a win):

1. Mifsud have a good game. It might, understandably, take him a while to fit into the team and play his best football. Although I have a feeling he could hit the ground running.

2. Some evolution in our style of football. Despite having a makeshift number 10, I'd like to see us be better in possession and create some scoring chances through it (rather than through counterattacking, although if we win through counters alone I won't complain)

3. Have Migliorini play 90 minutes. Our midfield is much better with him in it, but he was tired around 60 minutes into the Mariners game. 

4. Keep a cleansheet

5. Mauk have a good game off the bench. Given that Kalmar is still returning to fitness, it would be useful to have another capable number 10, so hopefully Mauk can get subbed on and play well in midfield.