Melbourne Football

Round 1 - Heart v Victory

heartrate

Don't know why Ange is being talked about as Australia coach.  His teams are horribly predictable and even A League coaches are now understanding how to shut his game plan down.  We did a good job of cutting the wingers out and MVFC had nothing else..

As for when we had the ball.  Nothing has changed from last season in terms of build up play and Mifsud better get used to jumping for headers by the look of things..

As long as Kewell gets the ball he'll be able to thread it through for Mifsud to put it away :up:

Sent an email to the club re so many families and victory supporters in our active area. Communication needs to improve for home games as well.

I think we can do better all round for away derbies. I'd be much happier to go and take Mrs JW along if the Heart members had an opportunity to be together as a bloc, with the clearly allocated area for the active ones.

The arrangements at AAMI always seem pretty good to me - there's very clearly a Heart End and a Victory End and an active area in both.

Surely MHFC can look after its members a bit better when we play at Docklands?

There should be something done where Heart fans can sit on the Bays on Level 2 and 3 above the active bays on Level 1 - It would be easier for everyone involved.

I knew there was something I didn't touch on. When(if) they reply I'll remember to add this point in, I think it's very important.

After a sluggish first few minutes I was really impressed with how we played.

Put Mifsud into the team for finishing and we win that match.

While I didn't think we were that well organised in midfield (although Kewell bossed it really well), the back 4, particularly Wielaart and Kisnorbo, were simply awesome. That gives me massive hope for this season, we are going to be a hard team to score against with those two in the middle.

I'd like to see Migliorini and Murdocca get into more positions to control the ball and pass it on, controlling the tempo of the game, although I understand that Aloisi has us playing on the counter this year so that might not suit the style.

Bring on Mifsud I say, can't wait for next week... Hopefully Gol Gol will learn from tonight and have a bit more composure next game.

Also, hi everyone, this is my first post, Go Heart!

• Like 5

I know it certainly it wasnt the best game to watch and in many ways the quality of the match wasn't the best but for mine the positives of the performance far out way the negatives.

We saw that Wielart and Kisnorbo potentially could be the most formidable CB pairing in the comp. Something Hearts have normally lacked.

Kewell showed the class and creativity that we all hoped he hadn't lost. He and Mifsud could be a lethal combination when both firing.

Also for me I was on a 6 match losing streak when going to matches so a point was a welcome change.

What we lacked on Saturday is holding onto possession up front. We did that well when we had the likes of Babalj and Tadic as our striker, as they held it up well and brought the other strikers into the game. Something IMO we need to work on when we get Mifsud in the team.

Edited by heart_fan10
  • Like 2

What we lacked on Saturday is holding onto possession up front. We did that well when we had the likes of Babalj and Tadic as our striker, as they held it up well and brought the other strikers into the game. Something IMO we need to work on when we get Mifsud in the team.

I agree, the problem is that when we transition into attack with a long pass, it usually leaves the single player isolated up front whilst he waits for team mates to arrive.

Votes of the weekend's game, according to Mariana Rudan, for the new Les Murray medal:

MELBOURNE VICTORY 0-0 MELBOURNE HEART

3: Rob WIELAERT (MH)

2: Harry KEWELL (MH)

1: Patrick KISNORBO (MH)

Judge: Mariana Rudan

i agree with her. Wielaert was very active organising the back 4 (well three of them anyway) and was the main reason why we kept our shape at the back (despite Hoffman's need for assistance from another team mate at all times). Kisnorbo was more visible in defence but I'd mark him down for the number of long balls that he played.

I don't understand how you can stop victory supporters or any supporters of that matter from purchasing tickets in heart active bay. I saw some victory supporters myself in our bay, but there's nothing we can really do unless you just limit the active bay to heart active area members

The highlighted words are precisely my proposal, and then add to that having the other Heart members sit above them in Levels 2 and 3 as suggested by Cadete. What this would require is having a sale period restricted to Heart members before the general release of tickets.

Not rocket science. Requires the two clubs to work together to get the best outcome for both sets of fans. Which is in the best interests of both clubs and for the League.

I'd like to see the FRG bring this idea to the club.

Edited by jw1739

I don't understand how you can stop victory supporters or any supporters of that matter from purchasing tickets in heart active bay. I saw some victory supporters myself in our bay, but there's nothing we can really do unless you just limit the active bay to heart active area members.

The highlighted words are precisely my proposal, and then add to that having the other Heart members sit above them in Levels 2 and 3 as suggested by Cadete. What this would require is having a sale period restricted to Heart members before the general release of tickets.

Not rocket science. Requires the two clubs to work together to get the best outcome for both sets of fans. Which is in the best interests of both clubs and for the League.

I'd like to see the FRG bring this idea to the club.

In saying that though if we limited it to active members we may start competing with the North Terrace for size.

Just watched the replay................. I know, need to get out more. A couple of observations. Murdocca is a just a ripper - hassles, buffets, and just doesn't stop. His work rate is enormous and enthusiasm infectious. I'll reserve judgement on Migliorini - some wayward passing but can't fault his discipline when we didn't have the ball. Very solid. It was pretty apparent watching again that we had bugger all intention on playing through the midfield. Murdocca and Migliorini didn't drop deep to receive - uncharacteristic given their application to the task when we didn't have the ball. They were positioned for the long bomb after the back four were trying to suck the Victory lads forward. I hope like hell this isn't the plan for the whole season - will be a long season otherwise!! I'd love to see how possession based playing out would go - Murdocca and Mig have the energy to present.

Kewell was just great and the dynamic changed markedly with his substitution. Bodes well for when he's up to speed. A couple of glitches from Kisnorbo but Weilart was fantastic watching him closely (vocal, organised and great anticipation) and the pairing, for a debut, was pretty damn fine. Hoff didn't totally bomb but obvious bad positioning at times and he turns like the QE2. Lucky Postecoglou stuck to his possession at all costs mantra - couldn't believe he didn't let someone off the leash to try and take the Hoff on 1 v 1. He also provided nothing the other way and was far too slow on the one occasion he tried to burst out of defence. With the discipline of the M&Ms in the middle, Walker will be a real asset on return with his attacking width.

Again cudos to Willo for his work ethic. I thought towards the end of last year he pulled his finger out defensively and this has continued. I always think if a forward isn't scoring he's got to contribute and I can't fault him for that. Behich quiet, gol Gol like a puppy falling over his legs and Duga surprisingly quiet - not his best night. Early days on his return.

As for Aloisi, a set (shit to watch) game plan but I'll concede effective for the point. Let's hope we don't have a whole season of it though. And as for putting Willo central post the Kewell sub with Kalmar on the bench was just ridiculous. You could see the lack of creativity stopping our momentum dead. Just awful to watch.

• Like 4

The game was quite boring to be honest, both teams were strong defensively, but really lacked up front. Mate looked off the ball, and I hope that they bring walker back soon. They played a lot of long balls from the CB's, but I hope that was just tactical to try beat the Victory forward press, next week will tell. Kewell looked good, but we will need Mifsud and Ramsay to give us more options up front. Also Bolton needs to work with Redmayne on his distribution, his kicks were awful.

Also well done to the Yarraside, heard your chants more on the TV than the Victards.

Harry's class stands head and shoulders above all. His vision, touch on the ball, the ability to just poke the ball out of reach of the opposition and put a well weighted pass is exceptional. Once he came off we lost momentum. Kalmar should have replaced Harry IMO. Migliorini played OK but some loose balls and poor corners need improving. Willo, Gogol and Mate provided a good outlet at times. Golgol to me doesn't cut it as a lone striker ATM. He is better playing off a striker who can lay off a ball to him for a strike on goal when the opportunity arises. Hopefully Mifsud will score for us and lay off some good ball for Willo and Golgol to have a crack. Let's see how JA and the boys approach CCM.

The game was quite boring to be honest, both teams were strong defensively, but really lacked up front. Mate looked off the ball, and I hope that they bring walker back soon. They played a lot of long balls from the CB's, but I hope that was just tactical to try beat the Victory forward press, next week will tell. Kewell looked good, but we will need Mifsud and Ramsay to give us more options up front. Also Bolton needs to work with Redmayne on his distribution, his kicks were awful.

Also well done to the Yarraside, heard your chants more on the TV than the Victards.

Bolton is working with Redmayne on his distribution which is why his kicks were aweful.

• Like 3

How Heart's tactical flexibility impressed in the Melbourne derby

John Aloisi's defence and counter-attack showed his team can live with their neighbours but can they maintain their shape?

Melbourne-derby-006.jpg

Heart?s wide players, Mate Dugandzic and David Williams played an important role in nullifying Melbourne Victory, by blocking the passing lanes into Victory?s ?dual 10s? Photograph: Graphic

John Aloisi's men stifled their Melbourne rivals in a battle of defence and attack. Aloisi admitted as much post-game, saying he was impressed by the tactical intricacies of the 0-0 match. Heart's defence was the most fascinating aspect of the derby and was in stark contrast to their approach in last year's round one meeting.

In that match, Heart adopted a "full-court press" in defence, testing Victory's ability to play through intense pressure in a new and unfamiliar system. On that occasion, Heart's defensive approach was incredibly successful, with Victory's insistence on playing out at every opportunity causing multiple dangerous turnovers, two of which lead to Heart goals. Heart never allowed their opponents to settle in possession and fully deserved their 2-1 derby win.

Melbourne-Hearts-defence-006.jpg

Heart’s defensive approach from the previous Round 1 derby, where a full court press was used. This approach often forced Victory to pass back to debutant goalkeeper Lawrence Thomas. Photograph: Graphic

Since then, Victory's ability to play through a high pressing opponent has improved out of sight, whereas Heart were unable to match their early performance, finishing ninth last season, 17 points and six places behind Melbourne Victory.

Victory's stark improvement meant a similar defensive approach this time around would have played into their hands, as their major attacking threat comes when they look to exploit space in behind their opponents. However, one thing they haven't quite mastered consistently is the ability to break down a team who limits such space. Heart's game plan instead centred around preventing Victory from getting in behind their defence.

"We had a game plan and the boys did really well defensively; we didn't allow them get in behind us too many times," Aloisi said post-game.

The most logical way to prevent a team from getting in behind your defence is to sit back, and Melbourne Heart did just that – setting their defensive block up around half way. The fact that eight out of the top 10 passers in the match were Melbourne Victory players demonstrated Heart's willingness to concede possession.

Key to Victory's formation, where the central attackers drop into midfield to create space for the wide forwards to move into midfield to create space for the wide forwards to break into, is the off-the-ball movements of the 'false 9' or 'dual 10' players. But Heart devised a defensive plan which, like Perth's in the 2012-13 elimination final, prevented them from receiving possession in their preferred attacking positions.

New recruits Mitch Nichols and James Troisi dropped into midfield, positioning themselves either side of Heart's central midfield duo of Massimo Murdocca and Andrea Migliorini in an attempt to receive the ball in dangerous positions to pick out the runs of the converging wide duo of Connor Pain and Archie Thompson.

In order to nullify this, instead of defending in a straight line 4-4-2, Heart's wide midfielders, Mate Dugandzic and David Williams, positioned themselves in advance of their deeper central midfielders which prevented passes into the feet of Troisi and Nichols on either side of Murdocca and Migliorini. And whenever they were able to pick out Troisi and Nichols, Heart were quick to close the ball, breaking up play with tackles and, on occasions, fouls.

Unsurprisingly, Williams (6/7), Murdocca (4/5), Migliorini (4/5) and Dugandzic (2/4) topped the tackle charts, as they harried the ball carrier in midfield.

This frustrated Victory, who were unable to get into an attacking rhythm. Despite seeing considerably more of the ball, Victory looked vulnerable on the counter attack and Heart created more goal scoring opportunities in the scoreless draw.

With this performance, Aloisi again proved that he has the tactical flexibility to frustrate their cross-city rivals. Heart's structure defensive approach and counter-attacking style was the most promising feature of the encounter, but Aloisi and Heart now have to prove they can play at a similar level for the remaining 26 rounds, something they failed to do last season.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/oct/15/melbourne-heart-victory-tactics-a-league

Edited by Murfy1

What a ferrel mexican. Didn't really catch that during the game.

I hate to do this but *feral and he's Chilean not Mexican

Don't be stupid and generalise anywho speaks Spanish as a Mexican (Y) You caught me, I can't spell!

And it's a joke for the reason you said (im aware hes chilean) and victory earned the nickname the Mexicans. Joke works on 2 levels (Y)

• Like 1

What a ferrel mexican. Didn't really catch that during the game.

I hate to do this but *feral and he's Chilean not Mexican

Don't be stupid and generalise anywho speaks Spanish as a Mexican (Y)You caught me, I can't spell!

And it's a joke for the reason you said (im aware hes chilean) and victory earned the nickname the Mexicans. Joke works on 2 levels (Y) Sure thing pal :) no hard feelings just wasn't sure if you were intentionally being stupid for a laugh or actually meant what you were saying.

Anyway //back on topic

apologies

• Like 1

Sent an email to the club re so many families and victory supporters in our active area. Communication needs to improve for home games as well.

The clubs response:

Thank you for your email.  Unfortunately we do not control the ticketing for the Melbourne Victory home games so we have no knowledge of ‘MV’ fans buying tickets in to our active area. In terms of children, it’s the responsibility of the patron to purchase the correct tickets in to the area of their choice.  We the club communicated the seating options clearly through email to our members, and this is also stated on the ticketmaster site on purchasing tickets.

We are very passionate about our active supporters and work very closely with the key people in the groups to take their feedback on the developing this experience.  We’ll take your additional feedback on board.

Enjoy the game on Saturday

Our attacking players  Duga, Gol Gol, Williams and Ramsay all have speed but lack composure and intelligence..  This match was a perfect example.. Bad decision making, bad finishing and panic once we get a half chance..

Their movement also isn't good which means the midfield has nothing on when they get the ball..  Aloisi and Foxe need to teach these guys..

• Like 1

Just caught the replay. Patty K was unbelievable.

True

Apart from that boo boo on the edge of the box, he was solid and tough.

Class!!!

We will not leak soft goal like last year

Living proof you can be a strong defender with plenty of physical presence.

Look and learn muscunt.

• Like 1

Our attacking players  Duga, Gol Gol, Williams and Ramsay all have speed but lack composure and intelligence..  This match was a perfect example.. Bad decision making, bad finishing and panic once we get a half chance..

Their movement also isn't good which means the midfield has nothing on when they get the ball..  Aloisi and Foxe need to teach these guys..

Three key things: touch/control, composure and intelligence. Watch Messi run with the ball as speed and check out how close he keeps the ball to himself, never giving the opposition a sniff. Willo will never improve and Golgol could improve. Duga has been very good for us but is coming back from injury.

True

Class!!!

Look and learn muscunt.

Wielaert was just as impressive in his role down back as well...

True

Class!!!

Look and learn muscunt.

Agreed. Where does it leave Patty G?

True

Class!!!

Look and learn muscunt.

Wielaert was just as impressive in his role down back as well...Very true!

Our defensive line was so impressive!!

Considering they haven't played together in the comp, how good are they going to get with few games under their belt.

When they gel, I can see us loosing a lot less goals then last year.

Edited by Jestr

True

Class!!!

Look and learn muscunt.

Remembering Rob only resumed training less then 2 weeks before Saturdays Derby. IIRC he only played against Richmond in the pre-season. Very exciting.