Melbourne Football

Orlando Engelaar

Murfy1

Should be re-signed next season as marquee right now before bling fc or some other club gets him.

As people have said on this forum before I reckon he'd be the kind of bloke to stick around under the cap if it meant he was playing alongside quality players. His wife and kids are here, they're not gonna want to pack up and move again so soon right? Right? Amirite?

He is a class act

Will be interesting to see if Begiristain has someone better up his sleeve for the marquee signing.

Two players I think may very well be in the picture are Xavi and Gareth Barry.

I believe either one of these players would be even better and improve the team massively

He is a class act

Will be interesting to see if Begiristain has someone better up his sleeve for the marquee signing.

Two players I think may very well be in the picture are Xavi and Gareth Barry.

I believe either one of these players would be even better and improve the team massively

No chance, will play at everton next year.

As for Orlando. Should be signed up ASAP. He is absolute boss.

I can't remember if I already said this but I think it's a massive mistake to take Engelaar for granted and only re-sign him if he's under the cap. If he continues to play like this I'm happy for him to be paid highly as the marquee. We should reward the man for being such a boss. And yes keep JVS. When both these dutch men are performing so well it seems ungrateful to look elsewhere

• Like 5

It's going to come down to what our new owners think sort of squad we need to have to win silverware, and how much change in various respects they think is required to achieve that. As it is with a whole lot of people at Heart - administration, coaches, players. 

IMO it's inevitable that various people are going to have to move on, despite the recent run of success.

My gut feeling is that Engelaar will not be re-signed, and that our visa marquee will be a younger player.

on 400k

Really? We could easily fit him in the cap if thats true, whats your source?

I'd like to think he'd show a bit of loyalty and stay on similar money if he were to re-sign too, missing a lot of the season and for the freedom, support and flexibility we gave him when he got injured. (And the reception y-side gave him on his return ;))

on 400k

Really? We could easily fit him in the cap if thats true, whats your source?

I'd like to think he'd show a bit of loyalty and stay on similar money if he were to re-sign too, missing a lot of the season and for the freedom, support and flexibility we gave him when he got injured. (And the reception y-side gave him on his return ;))

I thought it was 500k I got that from aloisi. He said it in an interview ages ago 'if you are going to spend half a million on a player you have to do your research' or words to that effect

I can't remember if I already said this but I think it's a massive mistake to take Engelaar for granted and only re-sign him if he's under the cap. If he continues to play like this I'm happy for him to be paid highly as the marquee. We should reward the man for being such a boss. And yes keep JVS. When both these dutch men are performing so well it seems ungrateful to look elsewhere

If the team continues like this, and heaven forbid, even makes the finals and competes, then the old saying 'if it aint broke, dont fix it' comes to mind.

I dont want to become Sydney FC and it sure as hell wont feel as good if se basically buy our forst title, City fans can enjoy it as much as they want, they'd never have won it without their sugar daddys :P

If the team continues like this, and heaven forbid, even makes the finals and competes, then the old saying 'if it aint broke, dont fix it' comes to mind.

I dont want to become Sydney FC and it sure as hell wont feel as good if se basically buy our forst title, City fans can enjoy it as much as they want, they'd never have won it without their sugar daddys :P

I assume you are a United supporter? It's not really like the glazer family aren't well off? Or like you have bought big names from rivals. I'd suggest you are a rich club calling another rich club out for being rich? I'm not a city supporter either for the record.

Back on topic. The big guy has been great so far. But for God sakes appoint a coach before signing players. Further to that I'm sure his wife is good at being a door opener we could pay her $400k and Orlando gets $100k under the cap. Seems like a no brainer. What else do you pay accounts for if not to cheat the cap?

I assume you are a United supporter? It's not really like the glazer family aren't well off? Or like you have bought big names from rivals. I'd suggest you are a rich club calling another rich club out for being rich? I'm not a city supporter either for the record.

Back on topic. The big guy has been great so far. But for God sakes appoint a coach before signing players. Further to that I'm sure his wife is good at being a door opener we could pay her $400k and Orlando gets $100k under the cap. Seems like a no brainer. What else do you pay accounts for if not to cheat the cap?

United earnt their reputation in modern premier league though, brining in prize money, advertising and fans, whcih enables you to become a better club obviously. You get these billionares involved in football and forces you to adapt to survive. Simply just being bought and and funds provided from the owners own pocket, means shit all to me, history and hard earnt success with a majority of your own developed players is admirable. Anyway its just personal opinon, off topic too, but i do hope that we avoid becoming the comedy show that is Sydney, going through managers, buying every available player and ignoring youth development.

I've been one of those who have called to try and fit Orlando under the cap but I don't even care if we can or not now, just sign him up, the bloke is amazing. For me he's the second best player in the league behind Broich at the moment.

I'm not sure if Heart is using the full salary cap this season. Next season the salary cap is $2.55m, and unless Heart storm into the finals and pretty much go on to win the grand final, I don't think many Heart players will have the leverage to be able to re-sign for more money. Indeed, I actually think most will re-sign for less. And I reckon Heart will have a fair number of young players and minimum wage players (e.g., Hoffman, Velaphi).

So if Engelaar is on 400k, I reckon we could possibly re-sign him for the same amount, or maybe a bit less, inside the cap, if there's smart accounting (which I expect under Man City).

But I agree that Engelaar is a real international marquee, and IMO if he keeps up his current form he could well be worth the international marquee spot for next season, because one bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Why gamble on a new international marquee when you already have one that truly does the job?

However, as I said, I think with a bit of smarts Heart can get the best of both worlds and sign Engelaar just inside the cap.

I'm not sure if Heart is using the full salary cap this season. Next season the salary cap is $2.55m, and unless Heart storm into the finals and pretty much go on to win the grand final, I don't think many Heart players will have the leverage to be able to re-sign for more money. Indeed, I actually think most will re-sign for less. And I reckon Heart will have a fair number of young players and minimum wage players (e.g., Hoffman, Velaphi).

So if Engelaar is on 400k, I reckon we could possibly re-sign him for the same amount, or maybe a bit less, inside the cap, if there's smart accounting (which I expect under Man City).

But I agree that Engelaar is a real international marquee, and IMO if he keeps up his current form he could well be worth the international marquee spot for next season, because one bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Why gamble on a new international marquee when you already have one that truly does the job?

However, as I said, I think with a bit of smarts Heart can get the best of both worlds and sign Engelaar just inside the cap.

Murphy, if Heart re-signs Engelaar under the cap, what position do you think merits an international marquee spot?

Well, we have allegedly signed Aaron Mooy for next season, and he pretty much fits that role.

IMO people are getting carried away. There are six matches to go, and we are still 9th.

Let's see where we finish at the end of the season. Then I'm sure, as already stated by the new ownership, there will be changes at the club in line with new philosophies.

• Like 2

Well, we have allegedly signed Aaron Mooy for next season, and he pretty much fits that role.

IMO people are getting carried away. There are six matches to go, and we are still 9th.

Let's see where we finish at the end of the season. Then I'm sure, as already stated by the new ownership, there will be changes at the club in line with new philosophies.

Bullshit, we're fans. We're supposed to get carried away.

If we beat newcastle this week i want us to belt this out the week after against Wellington

If we beat newcastle this week i want us to belt this out the week after against Wellington

been belted out a few times, most recently Saturday night

lol, strong knowledge of what's being done already.

lol, strong knowledge of what's being done already.

I know we were already doing a chant saying we're gonna win the league but it wasn't too loud and i thought it was different to the one i posted. If not my bad  :oops: