Melbourne Football

Unpopular Opinions That You Have.

xXJawsaXx

UOTYH: Juries that deliver results like the $25bn smoking compo in the news today should go to jail for obviously not taking their responsibilities as a juror seriously.

As someone who hates smoking and would be fine with it being banned altogether, I think the payout is far beyond ridiculous.

UOTYH: Juries that deliver results like the $25bn smoking compo in the news today should go to jail for obviously not taking their responsibilities as a juror seriously.

As someone who hates smoking and would be fine with it being banned altogether, I think the payout is far beyond ridiculous.

$500m would have been ridiculous. This is 50 times bigger than that.

juries for civil trials :droy:

don't really know the process but I'm going to assume there is about 0.0001% chance of that payout actually standing.

The new simpsons aren't as bad as everyone says they are.

This is true to an extent, but I still hate watching them because I know how much better the newer episodes could be.

The new simpsons aren't as bad as everyone says they are.

This is true to an extent, but I still hate watching them because I know how much better the newer episodes could be.

Yeah true but i guess a show can only stay fresh for so many season even such a great show like the simpsons.

I just compare the show now to old an old Michael Jordan, he not as good as he was, but he'll still show you those flashes of brilliance from time to time.

UOTYH:

If you have the time and the motivation to be 'outraged' on social media about the completely innocent comment company X made today, you seriously need to re-evaluate your life and perhaps consider ending it.

I'm actually starting to think the media just makes some of these up by taking the 5% of comments that are negative and posting those while the rest aren't negative, because as retarded as the average person in our society is, it surely can't be this bad. Lazy journalism, can just embed a few tweets and right a sentence in between each one.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Lazy journalism, can just embed a few tweets and right a sentence in between each one.

Following on from this, UOTYH:

Finding one thing that gained a bit of traction on twitter today and writing a few sentences in between a bunch of embedded tweets is not worthy of being a news article.

I swear there are at least one a day of these on news.com.au, probably multiple a day in fact. Today's highlight, a few people posted on twitter in all caps because the day's episode of Big Brother in the US was delayed a bit for the golf to finish. It certainly was riveting to know that @uhleeeuh is "MAD THAT BIG BROTHER IS DELAYED BECAUSE OF STUPID GOLF." and of course the sentiments of @broodates really opened my eyes to the issue, "I DONT UNDERSTAND GOLF AT ALL I WANT BIG BROTHER", but I really don't think this constitutes news.

• Like 2

Lazy journalism, can just embed a few tweets and right a sentence in between each one.

Finding one thing that gained a bit of traction on twitter today and writing a few sentences in between a bunch of embedded tweets is not worthy of being a news article.

I swear there are at least one a day of these on news.com.au, probably multiple a day in fact. Today's highlight, a few people posted on twitter in all caps because the day's episode of Big Brother in the US was delayed a bit for the golf to finish. It certainly was riveting to know that @uhleeeuh is "MAD THAT BIG BROTHER IS DELAYED BECAUSE OF STUPID GOLF." and of course the sentiments of @broodates really opened my eyes to the issue, "I DONT UNDERSTAND GOLF AT ALL I WANT BIG BROTHER", but I really don't think this constitutes news.

TBF the Junior Reporter who is forced by news.com.au to write these articles probably hates them even more than you do...

Its not like they do Journalism at RMIT to write about Hipsters tweeting about a Blackout - They probably thought they would be reporting from the Middle East about Hamas but they have to start somewhere and most of their fellow journalism students did not even get jobs in the media.

What is truly painful are the Attention Seekers on the other hand who go out of their way attempting to be witty and think of catchy puns so their tweets can be mentioned in such articles or of course on certain Television Panel Shows.

Edited by cadete

TBF the Junior Reporter who is forced by news.com.au to write these articles probably hates them even more than you do...

Its not like they do Journalism at RMIT to write about Hipsters tweeting about a Blackout - They probably thought they would be reporting from the Middle East about Hamas but they have to start somewhere and most of their fellow students did not even get jobs in the media.

You're right, whoever assigns this shit to them is to blame. I know there will always be BS articles done by junior reporters, but surely this is a new low.

Edited by Tesla

Its not like they do Journalism at RMIT to write about Hipsters tweeting about a Blackout - They probably thought they would be reporting from the Middle East about Hamas but they have to start somewhere and most of their fellow students did not even get jobs in the media.

You're right, whoever assigns this shit to them is to blame. I know there will always be BS articles done by junior reporters, but surely this is a new low.

You would think so if it wasn't for Australia having its own "Daily Mail" now:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/auhome/index.htm

Of course someone like myself loves the shitness that is the Tabloid Journalism of the Daily Mail.

• 5 weeks later...

Not a fan of Family Guy at all to be honest.

I just find it to be a bit of a soapbox for all Seth McFarlane's views on life and a way for him to demonstrate his various 'talents' to people. I rather South Park's approach, which is to criticize and poke fun at everyone and everything to the point where you don't even know what the creator's true opinions are on anything.

South Park > The Simpsons > Heaps of other animated shows > Family Guy for me.

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 4

In terms of Seth McFarlane's shows, I think American Dad is far better than Family Guy.

South Park is still superior to pretty much all Western Animated shows in my opinion.

This hands down, American Dad is better than Family Guy (Family guy is still good). 

Bit of a different topic but having kids is overrated.

Fair enough if you want them I won't judge you, I just really hate when people look at me like wtf when I say I don't want them. 

In terms of Seth McFarlane's shows, I think American Dad is far better than Family Guy.

South Park is still superior to pretty much all Western Animated shows in my opinion.

Spot on but tbh i'm not really fussed altogether, i'll watch any cartoon. I'm pretty easy going :up:

UOTYH: Cartoons are way funnier then sitcoms.

Spot on but tbh i'm not really fussed altogether, i'll watch any cartoon. I'm pretty easy going :up:

UOTYH: Cartoons are way funnier then sitcoms.

Whilst I do enjoy some sitcoms I do agree that animation has a certain quality that sitcoms can't really capture. It is far easier to indulge in absurdist humour if the show is animated for example. I just finished watching Rick and Morty, one of the funniest shows I have seen in a long time, and it's animated :up:

The Simpsons is still greatest of all time imo, seasons 4-10 at the very least anyway.

They even said it on South Park. "Simpsons did it, Simpsons did it!"

South park is more consistent though. Whilst i don't think the new Simpsons are as terrible as everyone says, theirs defiantly been a drop off from season 10 on wards in terms of the top quality of comedy compared south park which very rarely has a bad episode.

The Simpsons is still greatest of all time imo, seasons 4-10 at the very least anyway.

They even said it on South Park. "Simpsons did it, Simpsons did it!"

South park is more consistent though. Whilst i don't think the new Simpsons are as terrible as everyone says, theirs defiantly been a drop off from season 10 on wards in terms of the top quality of comedy compared south park which very rarely has a bad episode. Yes but the Simpsons was running for like 10 years before south park aired.

I do agree south park is more consistent because it's had the same writers for the whole time.

Edited by KSK_47

They even said it on South Park. "Simpsons did it, Simpsons did it!" South park is more consistent though. Whilst i don't think the new Simpsons are as terrible as everyone says, theirs defiantly been a drop off from season 10 on wards in terms of the top quality of comedy compared south park which very rarely has a bad episode. Yes but the Simpsons was running for like 10 years before south park aired.

I do agree south park is more consistent because it's had the same writers for the whole time.

The amazing thing about the Simpsons in the early days is that those old episodes are still relevant, and the humour and delivery is still perfect, even today after seeing them so many times. I just don't think the new episodes have that longevity, but time will tell I guess.

They even said it on South Park. "Simpsons did it, Simpsons did it!" South park is more consistent though. Whilst i don't think the new Simpsons are as terrible as everyone says, theirs defiantly been a drop off from season 10 on wards in terms of the top quality of comedy compared south park which very rarely has a bad episode. Yes but the Simpsons was running for like 10 years before south park aired.

The amazing thing about the Simpsons in the early days is that those old episodes are still relevant, and the humour and delivery is still perfect, even today after seeing them so many times. I just don't think the new episodes have that longevity, but time will tell I guess.

No. The new ones are far too topical imo and not funny enough to be memorable

No. The new ones are far too topical imo and not funny enough to be memorable

That's true, a good example is that stupid 'Kesha Couch Gag' they did. It is completely irrelevant and cringeworthy now. It'll be even worse in ten years.

Fair enough if you want them I won't judge you, I just really hate when people look at me like wtf when I say I don't want them. 

This! Especially as presently most family is on my back for Grand kids. To be honest I can't see what all the fuss is about having them, or the general assumption that I'd be a better person for having some. :huh:

This! Especially as presently most family is on my back for Grand kids. To be honest I can't see what all the fuss is about having them, or the general assumption that I'd be a better person for having some. :huh:

Helps people deal with the fact they will die (by leaving a 'legacy') and/or their belief that their life has been a failure (they fucked their life up but their children can have a better life etc.).

Edited by Tesla

This! Especially as presently most family is on my back for Grand kids. To be honest I can't see what all the fuss is about having them, or the general assumption that I'd be a better person for having some. :huh: Helps people deal with the fact they will die (by leaving a 'legacy') and/or their belief that their life has been a failure (they fucked their life up but their children can have a better life etc.).

Do you think that of your own parents?

Helps people deal with the fact they will die (by leaving a 'legacy') and/or their belief that their life has been a failure (they fucked their life up but their children can have a better life etc.).

Do you think that of your own parents?

I think they're just wogs so it was never even an option not to have children. I honestly don't think they'd be able to compute someone not wanting children. They were raised in a very different culture to us, and I think such a thing is just incomprehensible to them.

FWIW, I didn't say those are the only reasons, I just thought they were 2 simpler explanations to understand for someone who "can't see what all the fuss is about".

Edited by Tesla

Tywin Lannister.

I completely understand the 'legacy' point of view, and even as a "when I'm old I'll have my family around me" and will comfort me in the nursing home etc. But that doesn't seem to go through the heads of most people my age having kids atm who appear to be doing it cause it seems to be 'fashionable', the expected thing to do (The kinda marriage, house, with a white picket fence and kids style), Or friend/family member X has had one so should I.

I completely understand the 'legacy' point of view, and even as a "when I'm old I'll have my family around me" and will comfort me in the nursing home etc. But that doesn't seem to go through the heads of most people my age having kids atm who appear to be doing it cause it seems to be 'fashionable', the expected thing to do (The kinda marriage, house, with a white picket fence and kids style), Or friend/family member X has had one so should I.

Well then you should probably follow the advice my grandpa gave me:

You better wear a latex, cause you don't want that late text, that "I think I'm late text".

• Like 3