Melbourne Football

Re-Sign Garcia

MARKMILES

Can't knock a bloke that's been away from his family since he was a teenager wanting to finishing up in his home town. If we had a more professional set-up, more fans and put in better performances he might of stayed. Can't really blame him overall.

:droy: :droy: :droy:

Family?

Professional Setup?

Performances?

He made it abundantly clear that the reason he was stringing us along for all those months was Money reasons.

• Like 1

Money is definitely a factor. I never said it wasn't.

If you've gotta be the best player in a shit team it might as well be your home town team surrounding by family. Unless the money/chance of success/facilities on offer somewhere else is enough to compensate being away.

Money is definitely a factor. I never said it wasn't.

If you've gotta be the best player in a shit team it might as well be your home town team surrounding by family. Unless the money/chance of success/facilities on offer somewhere else is enough to compensate being away.

Money has been reported time after time in all media sources as the deciding factor.

Alongside this we have already shown in our recruitment strategy that we are determined to make things different from last season when we are a shit team.

I dont know why you have to highlight other excuses for the bloke.

Edited by cadete

If money's the problem, then the solution is simple. Give him some!!!*

Still waiting to see what we're going to do with the cash we supposedly have from the departures of Bolton, Fred, Colosimo, Thompson etc.

*Or, at least find someone worthy of giving it to.

Edited by Sash

I don't even like the man! I found him to be the only bloke in the whole team who won't stop for a chat or a photo. But if he thinks he's worth more than the club is willing to pay him and if he'd be happier somewhere else then that's cool. That's life. That's business. That's modern football. Good luck and thanks for the ripper season you gave us.

And if he's stringing us along while looking at other offers than it's up to the club to stand up for it's self and "say sign here for this much or piss off". It's not like he's doing a Neal and saying "Yeah sure I'll sign" with no intention to do so. That's obvious by what JA and Co. have been saying "We're hopeful of re-signing him" etc.

If I was RG I'd probably be doing the same.

Edited by Jimmy

If you leave for family fair enough. But it shouldn't near 4 months after your last heart match to make that decision. With an offer (as a guess) $300k on the table it's really restricting the club from putting the best squad together for next season.

IMO that's more then 10% of the salary cap. This whole situation is setting the club back. So BOOOOOOO!!!!!

If you leave for family fair enough. But it shouldn't near 4 months after your last heart match to make that decision. With an offer (as a guess) $300k on the table it's really restricting the club from putting the best squad together for next season.

IMO that's more then 10% of the salary cap. This whole situation is setting the club back. So BOOOOOOO!!!!!

Agreed. Becoming a farce. Needs to be resolved immediately.

Not even, almost half that from what I've heard...

Not even, almost half that from what I've heard... Fark. If that's true no wonder he hasn't signed.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1159918/Glory-strikes-two-deals

against past forum activity and understanding Perth havent signed Garcia - at least not yet!!!

TBH, Garcia has every right to exercise what club he wishes to sign for.  we only offered him a one year contract at the start of last season, he had a good season - he did his job and did it much better than most Heart players can honestly admit to for their performances last season.  the club didn't want to risk more than a season and thus got what it paid for (and a fair bit more).  

at what point shouldn't he consider what else is on offer?

let's put the shoe on the other foot for a moment; would anyone give Garcia the time of day if he had a shit season instead and didn't get a new contract? everyone on here would defend the club - ultimately they are not liable to offer new contracts and if a player has been crap.  likewise, players are not liable to sign them if they have had a good season.

like many here, i would have liked the whole issue to be wrapped up by now.

but the discussion here is frankly getting far too negative towards Garcia.  remember there is risk for him too - the longer it drags the lower the demand drops and thus there is a fair chance he will get lowballed.

as far as i'm concerned Heart just need to get on with filling the rest of the squad positions.

Edited by mattyh001

Funny how half of those posting in this thread were berating the club investors last season for trying to break even and running the club on the cheap, are now patting the club on the back for offering our no.1 player and most consistent performer last year, cheap sub-par monitory contracts and being prudent in their spending.

MHFCsupporters logic :droy: :droy: :droy:

Edited by FB.
  • Like 3

Funny how half of those posting in this thread were berating the club investors last season for trying to break even and running the club on the cheap, are now patting the club n the back for offering our no.1 player and most consistent performer last year, cheap sub-par monitory contracts and being prudent in their spending.

MHFCsupporters logic :droy: :droy: :droy:

For the record I have never ever once criticised the Club’s plan to break even as I have had joint understanding with the club that their priority is to stay alive for their supporters.

But you raise an interesting point in regards to the terms we are offering Garcia.

If we are truly offering Garcia a contract that you describe as one that a “Cheap Sub-Monitory Contract” for a player of his quality etc...

Then why has nobody else offered him a contract that he does not consider beneath him???

In fact the only other contract that has been offered to him was from Perth and seems to have been of a similar value.

(Or at least at another value that Garcia has deemed also not good enough.)

The reality is no matter what a Player or his Fans think,

Footballers are paid by Clubs therefore it is the Clubs as a collective who determine the value of a individual Footballer.

And at this point of time there is no evidence from any other club or clubs to suggest Garcia is being offered a insufficient contract from MHFC.

He just doesn't want to do preseason. Seen it many times. Same old guys do the hard yards and then all the other guys turn up about 2 weeks from the games starting. Sneaky bastard !!

And TBH that's fine for a Veteran State League Star but the A League has a whole system of complicated rules in order for it to be recognised as a Professional League

The only other known interest for Garcia has come from Perth Glory, who are rumoured to have offered him $80,000 .....

So even if Heart have offered Garcia the alleged amount of 150k, that's still roughly twice as much as Garcia was offered by the other club that's shown an interest in him.

It also should be remembered that Garcia had a release clause in his contract from day 1, allowing him to go off to an Asian club. Given how many Asian clubs are a lot richer than A-League clubs, and that we apparently signed Garcia for a modest price, it would have been easy for an Asian club to acquire Garcia. However, none did. Even further, no Asian clubs have been reported in having an interest in Garcia even after his contract expired.

It's the tough truth of football economics: a player's only worth as much as clubs are prepared to pay for him. Apart from Heart, there appears to be very little demand for Garcia. And possibly paying twice as much as the other known offer can't be considered 'cheap'.

Another thing. If Garcia wanted to play where his family live, in Perth, he would have moved there immediately after his contract finished and Perth Glory showed an interest. He didn't. Therefore other factors, like possibly money, must be important. 

A final point. What if we needed Garcia to fit under the salary cap so, for instance, we could sign Scott McDonald as our Australian marquee? Or if the additional money we didn't spend on Garcia went towards sealing the deal with an international marquee? Who could fault the club then?

I think Garcia would be a real good signing, but I think we have more important signings still to make. IMO the suggested figures seem reasonable. And given that we have more important signings to make, it makes sense to me to save our resources for those signings.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 3

The only other known interest for Garcia has come from Perth Glory, who are rumoured to have offered him $80,000 .....

So even if Heart have offered Garcia the alleged amount of 150k, that's still roughly twice as much as Garcia was offered by the other club that's shown an interest in him.

It also should be remembered that Garcia had a release clause in his contract from day 1, allowing him to go off to an Asian club. Given how many Asian clubs are a lot richer than A-League clubs, and that we apparently signed Garcia for a modest price, it would have been easy for an Asian club to acquire Garcia. However, none did. Even further, no Asian clubs have been reported in having an interest in Garcia even after his contract expired.

It's the tough truth of football economics: a player's only worth as much as clubs are prepared to pay for him. Apart from Heart, there appears to be very little demand for Garcia. And possibly paying twice as much as the other known offer can't be considered 'cheap'.

Another thing. If Garcia wanted to play where his family live, in Perth, he would have moved there immediately after his contract finished and Perth Glory showed an interest. He didn't. Therefore other factors, like possibly money, must be important. 

A final point. What if we needed Garcia to fit under the salary cap so, for instance, we could sign Scott McDonald as our Australian marquee? Or if the additional money we didn't spend on Garcia went towards sealing the deal with an international marquee? Who could fault the club then?

I think Garcia would be a real good signing, but I think we have more important signings still to make. IMO the suggested figures seem reasonable. And given that we have more important signings to make, it makes sense to me to save our resources for those signings.

Sensible post.

Is the 10 days up today? Didn't SM says will we have an outcome in 10 days?

No outcome yet SM?

This is the 10th day, the deadline day presumably, since Scott Munn made the statement "We also have offered Richard Garcia a new contract and we should have an answer in 10 days or so".

Although, last week Didulica said that the decision regarding our backup keeper would be made "this week sometime", so Heart doesn't have good form at the moment with keeping to its own deadlines. 

No outcome yet SM?

This is the 10th day, the deadline day presumably, since Scott Munn made the statement "We also have offered Richard Garcia a new contract and we should have an answer in 10 days or so".

Although, last week Didulica said that the decision regarding our backup keeper would be made "this week sometime", so Heart doesn't have good form at the moment with keeping to its own deadlines. 

We're now in the period known as "or so". This is a definite period of two weeks or so.

Trouble is, "making a decision" is not quite the same thing as "announcing a signing."

Nevertheless, really do wish MHFC would improve in this area of club-supporter communications.

Key areas:

- Do not indicate a timetable unless you're going to stick to it.

- Be quick to deny unsubstantiated rumours (e.g. Bogdan Apostu).

• Like 1

No outcome yet SM?

We're now in the period known as "or so". This is an endless period of time.

FTFY

• Like 1