Melbourne Football

Re-Sign Garcia

MARKMILES

It's been obvious for a while where his mind is at, Heart has always been a stop over, nothing more. But seeing as he got player of the year for us he might as well milk it for all its worth and hold the club at ransom. Well done SM, the club is always bigger than the player, lets keep that policy with all our players...

• Like 1

Richard Garcia is no longer on Hearts sqaud list.... That's a big loss for us! One of mabey 5 who had a football brain.

You talking about that Wiki page I edited for accuracy..?

You gotta stop believing that shit, pal. Anyone can edit wiki, just like when you replaced Kalmar with your old mate Mr Virkov.

• Like 3

Sorry I thought wiki was the real deal...? How can anyone edit it? Well sorry again but yeah that's what squad list I was talking abut.

Have you got a photo of Mr. Virkov?

If you can't find one, I think a few of us here can put one up to show everyone...

Munn said the club was pleased with three other major acquisitions that should enable Heart to challenge for the honours.

”We got midfielder Massimo Murdocca from Brisbane Roar, striker Iain Ramsay from Adelaide and defender Rob Wielaert from PSV Eindhoven,” he said.

”We also have offered Richard Garcia a new contract and we should have an answer in 10 days or so.”

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1158834/Kewell-signing-a-no-brainer

Edited by Deluka

Munn said the club was pleased with three other major acquisitions that should enable Heart to challenge for the honours.

”We got midfielder Massimo Murdocca from Brisbane Roar, striker Iain Ramsay from Adelaide and defender Rob Wielaert from PSV Eindhoven,” he said.

”We also have offered Richard Garcia a new contract and we should have an answer in 10 days or so.”

Richard Garcia is the only possible future signing that Scott Munn mentioned in this article. He didn't even mention any other transfer activity. Instead he talked up all of our signings as 'major'. Even if we signed Garcia AND Velaphi, or one of the other 4 GK candidates, we still wouldn't have a large enough squad to participate in the next A-League season. Heart is still some ways away from obtaining a squad size of 20, which is the minimum squad size that's required to play in the A-League.

This standstill with regards to our transfer activity is rather disappointing. And this very protracted attempted re-signing of Garcia gives the sense that Heart tried to sign other players, but couldn't get the job done...

Heart better understand that we still need to make multiple important signings, and that there's no point wasting any of our 2 remaining VISA spots or our 6 remaining squad spots.

Richard Garcia is the only possible future signing that Scott Munn mentioned in this article. He didn't even mention any other transfer activity. Instead he talked up all of our signings as 'major'. Even if we signed Garcia AND Velaphi, or one of the other 4 GK candidates, we still wouldn't have a large enough squad to participate in the next A-League season. Heart is still some ways away from obtaining a squad size of 20, which is the minimum squad size that's required to play in the A-League.

This standstill with regards to our transfer activity is rather disappointing. And this very protracted attempted re-signing of Garcia gives the sense that Heart tried to sign other players, but couldn't get the job done...

Heart better understand that we still need to make multiple important signings, and that there's no point wasting any of our 2 remaining VISA spots or our 6 remaining squad spots.

If that article is a balanced summary of what SM actually said to the journo then IMO it is a major backdown from what has been said to us previously. IIRC we were promised more resources to the football department, two further major signings,and the distinct possibility of a marquee to follow. I cannot see any hint of any of that in the TWG article. Indeed its tone suggests Munn is on the defensive about Heart's off-season activities - or lack of them. To say that Ramsay and Murdocca are "major acquisitions" is a distortion of the truth, particularly in Ramsay's case where once again we're going to try to squeeze a square peg into a round hole.

If we are anywhere near the salary cap minimum with the squad so far then someone is getting far more than they're worth, and we still have at least two duds in the squad.

I'm very disappointed by the way things have gone in the past four weeks or so.

Edited by jw1739

If that article is a balanced summary of what SM actually said to the journo then IMO it is a major backdown from what has been said to us previously. IIRC we were promised more resources to the football department, two further major signings,and the distinct possibility of a marquee to follow. I cannot see any hint of any of that TWG article. Indeed its tone suggests Munn is on the defensive about Heart's off-season activities - or lack of them. To say that Ramsay and Murdocca are "major acquisitions" is a distortion of the truth, particularly in Ramsay's case where once again we're going to try to squeeze a square peg into a round hole.

If we are anywhere near the salary cap minimum with the squad so far then someone is getting far more than they're worth, and we still have at least two duds in the squad.

I agree that I've seen no evidence of increased resources in the football department. The coaching staff is unchanged isn't it? One thing that concerns me is this:

”First and foremost the person who decides who plays for us is coach John Aloisi,” Munn said.

”He is the one who decides if he wants a player or not.

”I have never sat down with John and directed him to sign any player.

”It has always been a case of 'we'd like to sign this player … what do you think?'

”That's how the club operates.”

This isn't Garcia related really. But anyway, as an inexperienced coach, I'd be more comfortable if Aloisi concentrated just on coaching. He needs to decide what type of players he needs in his squad. But beyond that, I think we could do better if we had experienced people dedicated to the actual scouting and deciding which players best fit the bill. JA doesn't have the runs on the board, nor does he have the time to watch a large number of potential recruits while developing as a coach. I'm sure it's currently a collaborative process with JA and JD, but sill, I think we can do better.

Recruiting in soccer and AFL is different, but I think AFL clubs (although with bigger budgets) have become much more professional in the way they've expanded coaching and recruiting staff and separated them into related but different fields. Coaches, even very experienced coaches, set the parameters and then trust their recruiters to fulfill them. It's different because they have an organised underage pathway and draft, so the right balance might be a bit different for them. But I still think the principle is a good one. Professional dedicated recruiters do a better job at identifying talent than coaches. We still seem to rely mainly on JA and JD, both of whom have plenty of other responsibilities. Also, Aloisi seems to have relied to an extent on players he knows or has played with (Grella, Kewell, Macallister, Gray), or even who his brother knows. That's a pretty small and diminishing pool of potential recruits. We need to get better than that.

Basically, I think we need to start seeing a bit more spending on the football department, and a bit more professionalism.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 2

I think this highlights more that we have found absolutely no-one of note, rather than the fact we are overly keen to actually re-sign Rich.

Coz36 - @Jdidulica thanks. In a heart related matter, did we keep Garcia for next season?

‏Jdidulica - @Coz36 workin' hard to make it happen!

As much as I do want him, it's all a bit sad, really..

I think your over thinking it, I don't know what else JD is supposed to say. The club knows he's a fan favourite and we were always gonna try to re-sign him regardless of who else we signed. 

If that article is a balanced summary of what SM actually said to the journo then IMO it is a major backdown from what has been said to us previously. IIRC we were promised more resources to the football department, two further major signings,and the distinct possibility of a marquee to follow. I cannot see any hint of any of that TWG article. Indeed its tone suggests Munn is on the defensive about Heart's off-season activities - or lack of them. To say that Ramsay and Murdocca are "major acquisitions" is a distortion of the truth, particularly in Ramsay's case where once again we're going to try to squeeze a square peg into a round hole.

I agree that I've seen no evidence of increased resources in the football department. The coaching staff is unchanged isn't it? One thing that concerns me is this:

”First and foremost the person who decides who plays for us is coach John Aloisi,” Munn said.

”He is the one who decides if he wants a player or not.

”I have never sat down with John and directed him to sign any player.

”It has always been a case of 'we'd like to sign this player … what do you think?'

”That's how the club operates.”

This isn't Garcia related really. But anyway, as an inexperienced coach, I'd be more comfortable if Aloisi concentrated just on coaching. He needs to decide what type of players he needs in his squad. But beyond that, I think we could do better if we had experienced people dedicated to the actual scouting and deciding which players best fit the bill. JA doesn't have the runs on the board, nor does he have the time to watch a large number of potential recruits while developing as a coach. I'm sure it's currently a collaborative process with JA and JD, but sill, I think we can do better.

Recruiting in soccer and AFL is different, but I think AFL clubs (although with bigger budgets) have become much more professional in the way they've expanded coaching and recruiting staff and separated them into related but different fields. Coaches, even very experienced coaches, set the parameters and then trust their recruiters to fulfill them. It's different because they have an organised underage pathway and draft, so the right balance might be a bit different for them. But I still think the principle is a good one. Professional dedicated recruiters do a better job at identifying talent than coaches. We still seem to rely mainly on JA and JD, both of whom have plenty of other responsibilities. Also, Aloisi seems to have relied to an extent on players he knows or has played with (Grella, Kewell, Macallister, Gray), or even who his brother knows. That's a pretty small and diminishing pool of potential recruits. We need to get better than that.

Basically, I think we need to start seeing a bit more spending on the football department, and a bit more professionalism.

I recall having a discussion about this the other week, about how this is done in the AFL and if something similar (albeit adapted) can be implemented to the A-League, more specifically the Heart. 

Whilst I don't follow the AFL as closely as some other forum members here, there appears to be a trend of the more successful teams being able to identify, recruit, develop and retain players better than some of the other clubs.  Not only this, but they're also able to incorporate these players into the starting line-up gradually, so clubs don't have to 'bottom-out' as they once previously did in order to gain draft picks. 

The two best examples I can think of are Geelong and Sydney who have been consistently quite successful over the last few years without having to bottom-out.  I think there is now a realisation and trend that high-order draft picks doesn't necessarily equate to success, as we've seen with Melbourne and currently Carlton, it takes more, specifically a high-functioning and efficient football and training department who can do the above, identify, recruit etc.

How does this apply to Heart?  Well, we do have a league with salary cap restrictions, so similar methodology may need to be employed with added investment and emphasis to the footballing department.  I'm not sure what the current set-up is like and if they're maximising the most of their opportunities, but it's definitely something worthwhile looking into. 

FWIW IMO this has dragged on long enough.

Scott Munn indicated a few days ago that he expected a yeah or nay from Garcia within 10 days or so. I hope that the club has drawn a line in the sand, given a deadline, and sticks to it.

Because we need to move on, either with Garcia or without him.

FWIW IMO this has dragged on long enough.

Scott Munn indicated a few days ago that he expected a yeah or nay from Garcia within 10 days or so. I hope that the club has drawn a line in the sand, given a deadline, and sticks to it.

Because we need to move on, either with Garcia or without him.

Will end up at Floreat Athena.

Garcia has had 3 months in offseason to sign with someone else and hasn't happened. Welcome back Garcia!!! Although you don't really want to play for us we'll still accept you if you play to the same standard as last season. We still think your cunt though.

People on here are way too harsh on Garcia. It doesn't make him a "twat" because he doesn't sign with us immediately because he might want to go back to Perth where his family. Sure, I and everyone else on here would've wanted him to sign more quickly but its his decision and since he hasn't signed with anyone yet, he hasn't made up his mind yet.

Also its been 8 days since Munn said 10 days or so. Do you think we'll find out in 2 days, we set a deadline for 2 days that Garcia has to meet, or he just gave a deadline to shut us up so we stopped asking?

• Like 1

Garcia apparently to be announced as a Perth player later today or sometime tomorrow along side some Sidnei bloke.

If it is the Sidnei i'm thinking of that is a good signing

was good in fm10 iirc

looks like his at benfica... probably some hack from the 5th division in brazil

Edited by yelawolf

Garcia apparently to be announced as a Perth player later today or sometime tomorrow along side some Sidnei bloke.

Good. Now we can finally move on and finish filling out our list. Are people going to boo him when he plays against heart?

Player that's not wanted and changes clubs, can't blame him. A player that IS wanted and leaves to another team in the same league. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Like 1

Can't knock a bloke that's been away from his family since he was a teenager wanting to finishing up in his home town. If we had a more professional set-up, more fans and put in better performances he might of stayed. Can't really blame him overall.