Melbourne Football

Potential A-league signings

heart_fan10

Not that I disagree with your sentiments in terms of future expansion, but it's not quite true that NQF "fell over." FFA pulled the rug from under NQF's feet while it was trying to get a community ownership model working, and had previously disallowed a takeover of the club by Singapore interests (only to allow Brisbane to be owned lock, stock and barrel by an Indonesian mob just a few years later). And NQF still exists as a youth club, and has not given up hope of one day returning to the big league. A little more time could have seen that club survive in the A-League.

WSW exists only because it is completely funded by tax-payer's money. No private money will go into the ownership of that club for several years to come.

FFA needs to set criteria consistently throughout the league.

• Like 1

Look at Brisbane bears in afl 15 years ago they were poorly set up and had to merge with fitzroy, where now days GWS and Gold Coast won't be going anywhere because they've been set up well even through they have low fan base.

I'll back you in here Cactii. That's actually a decent call.

• Like 1

GWS and Gold Coast won't be going anywhere because they've been set up well even through they have low fan base.

I thought it was because the afl were pumping cash into them and bending the rules to make them remotely competitive so they could try and convert rugby league supporters not because either club is set up well.

Although living off the gravy train is a pretty good set up from the clubs perspective I suppose.

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

Rukavystya reportedly to leave Mainz. Interesting proposition. 

We already have so many wingers but I'd play him as a striker, he's got pace and is tall enough to hold down a central target position.

Would give him Australian marquee status too to be honest if we couldn't fit him in the cap, quality player

Konstantinidis starting today; is this news? Pardon my ignorance

Still listed as a Trail player on the team sheet, their was a rumor going around that he might have signed.

https://twitter.com/MelbourneHeart/status/364961929099350017/photo/1

Yeah realise he's still listed as a trial player, but it's nice to know that we're in this position when there was interest from other A-League clubs.

Konstantinidis starting today; is this news? Pardon my ignorance

Wonder how he will go Sculls? heard much about him? 

Target man; spent a fair chunk of his career in Greece; looking for a bit of recognition from the Socceroos setup that he wasn't getting playing in Greece, mostly in the second-tier from what I can gather. Hopefully goes well.

Not that I disagree with your sentiments in terms of future expansion, but it's not quite true that NQF "fell over." FFA pulled the rug from under NQF's feet while it was trying to get a community ownership model working, and had previously disallowed a takeover of the club by Singapore interests (only to allow Brisbane to be owned lock, stock and barrel by an Indonesian mob just a few years later). And NQF still exists as a youth club, and has not given up hope of one day returning to the big league. A little more time could have seen that club survive in the A-League.

WSW exists only because it is completely funded by tax-payer's money. No private money will go into the ownership of that club for several years to come.

FFA needs to set criteria consistently throughout the league.

by all means the FFA were pretty ordinary in the way they treated North Queensland at the end, but IIRC North Queensland didn't help themselves by having their major backer pull out by the end of the first year.  the FFA had to step in and knew that if a viable model was found soon then they were going to back out and drop the team. 

how hard the FFA pushed is one thing, but i have serious doubts as to how viable some of the promoted financial models (community based or otherwise) actually were.  bluntly i can't recall anyone from North Queensland making their viable options public - something that says to me that it is (at for the most part) the options they were selecting / offering had too much risk and would constantly put the financial state of the FFA at risk.

call it what you will, it was their poor financial state that called time on their A League involvement.

like you, i think that they would have done okay had they been given more time, but then again we are actually getting away from the point of the thread

to be honest, i think the FFA say what was coming with Gold Coast and, coupled with the failed rise of the Sydney Rovers (the original team for West Sydney planned for the season after Heart) decided they needed to be more involved in the future.

Edited by mattyh001

If so, we will have some great defensive set ups.

----------The Doc.---------- Engelaar--------

--Behich----Gerhardt---Wielaert---Walker

-----------------Redmayne----------------

Vrankovic can cover CB and RB
Mitchinson & Ramsay cover LB
Germano can cover CDM

Edited by Deluka

If so, we will have some great defensive set ups.

The Doc. Engelaar

Behich. Wielaert <-> Gerhardt. Walker

Redmayne

Vrankovic can cover CB and RB

Mitchinson & Ramsay cover LB

Germano can cover CDM

Germano has played at RB too so it is actually coming together nicely

Not 100% sure if this has alwas been speculation only, but is there an actual rule in the HAL, through the PFA, where a certain amount of the cap needs to be spent/allocated per season? (Similar to the AFL)

If so, I would assume we will still spend bucket loads.

We released 10 players last season including Thompson, Bolton, Fred, Colosimo and Tadic freeing up over 50% of the cap.

Engelaar is outside the cap, Behich comes free, Kewell joins for $50k, Walker, Velaphi, Mauk and Mitchinson all on minimum wage too.

This leaves only Murdocca, Ramsey and Wielaart and if they offered under 200k to Garcia, how much could these guys possibly be on?

Rough estimate, I reckon we have well over $500k of salary cap room left for our final two signings...

• Like 2

Not 100% sure if this has alwas been speculation only, but is there an actual rule in the HAL, through the PFA, where a certain amount of the cap needs to be spent/allocated per season? (Similar to the AFL)

We released 10 players last season including Thompson, Bolton, Fred, Colosimo and Tadic freeing up over 50% of the cap.

Engelaar is outside the cap, Behich comes free, Kewell joins for $50k, Walker, Velaphi, Mauk and Mitchinson all on minimum wage too.

This leaves only Murdocca, Ramsey and Wielaart and if they offered under 200k to Garcia, how much could these guys possibly be on?

Rough estimate, I reckon we have well over $500k of salary cap room left for our final two signings...

That's actually a very good brief run down on where the expenses have been spent, in regards to contracts.

there's also a January transfer window to consider... so even if we are under the compulsory amount now... we can fill it up in that window too, can't we? do you know if it's for the season or before the season?

at this stage I would prefer us to sign McGrath over Garcia. We've got enough talented wingers as it is, and I think a young Aussie out and out striker is exactly what we need.

We'll have Kewell, McGrath and Macallister to play as our striker, and it gives us more flexibility with our last visa spot to sign an attacking/creative player.

• Like 1

There certainly was up to and including last season - it was 85% of the salary cap.

However, I'm not sure quite how this could be affected by the change this season to FFA picking up the wages of each club up to the salary cap, but I would assume that the rule still applies.

I think your estimate is close, +/- $100k. IMHO a good striker on $400k per season is very possible. Leaving one spot (which could be an Australian marquee if we really wanted to spend up big).

Any news on Billy K? Do you guys reckon he would be a good signing?

IMHO is really another Macallister, but based on the match v. Latrobe Select (which might be a poor yardstick) he's more mobile. He's also younger. Depends what MHFC has in terms of its "succession plan" - Macallister's contract finishes at the end of 2013/14. If we sign a real quality central striker then there's probably no room for Billy K. 

• Like 1

Pretty sure at least 85% of the salary cap needs to be used

Yep, it's 85%.

Also, I didn't like what I saw from Konstantinidis on wednesday, so i'd prefer we didn't sign him, at times he didn't look comfortable on the ball...perhaps just nerves but he really struggled when he had multiple opponents. That's just my observation though.