Melbourne Football

City in the headlines

millm103

I love the football writing in The Guardian:

"

Who’s feeling lucky?

It was widely opined that strugglers Melbourne Heart were a little unlucky last weekend for taking it to Brisbane away from home, fashioning chances, yet still coming away 3-0 losers. But how much did luck, or an absence of it, have to do with the loss? Was it just bad luck that caused the Heart to get only three of their 14 shots on target (whereas Brisbane managed seven of 11), or allowed Henrique to cushion Luke Brattan’s cute cross on his chest, fire the ball home for Roar’s first, then pen a letter, longhand, to his great aunt in Sao Paulo, before finally being sighted by the Heart defenders? As encouraging as he was about his team’s performance (taking positive thinking to a whole new level, Heart coach John Aloisi said he was “really happy with the boys”) Aloisi will know his team lost because they wasted good field position and scoring chances and failed to shut down the Roar’s midfield. Now they have to deal with a Wanderers team exuding confidence and menace, and buoyed by the return of talisman Youssouf Hersi on the right flank. The Heart, meantime, will again be without central defender Patrick Kisnorbo, whose absence was telling against the Roar. They’ll also have to do without Harry Kewell who’s so adept at getting injured he didn’t even have to wait until his next match to do it. But all is not lost for the Heart. They’re at home. Considering their away record they can count themselves lucky."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/08/a-league-what-to-look-out-for-this-weekend

Another one from The Guardian:

The Heart are desperate for a win

Tuning in to watch Melbourne Heart is akin to being forced to watch your friend’s crappy band play. Obligation overrules common sense, and while you want them to do well and are happy to put on a brave face, it only obscures that dull empty feeling in the pit of your stomach. In fairness, Heart coach John Aloisi has had terrible luck so far this season – Orlando Engelaar’s broken leg wasn’t an ideal way to begin the campaign and Harry Kewell’s fragile body isn’t helping matters. On Friday night Aloisi alluded to this, pointing out that the Wanderers “only had Hersi out, we’ve got seven out [injured]” and that his side “created enough opportunities to get something out of that game”.

Yes, there were several nervy moments at the end for the Wanderers, and with a bit of luck one of those shots that hit the crossbar might have found the back of the net. But if we’re going to speak hypothetically, there could have been several more goals for the Wanderers, not least for Brendon Santalab, who managed to head the ball over the bar from just six yards out in front of an open goal. More to the point, there was nothing unlucky about Heart captain Rob Wielaert’s poor defensive effort that led to the Wanderers goal. Melbourne Heart could use a break, but the reality is they haven’t won since February. Next week they host Sydney FC, who were the last team they beat back in Round 22 last season. Aloisi seems determined that his side will make it big, and reckons they’re “too good to only have two points”. Maybe, like that friend’s band, the Melbourne Heart are just misunderstood artists.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/10/five-things-we-learned-this-weekend

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

They be the Russian investors that were always going to buy CCM? The vultures are circling.

only heard it today so not too sure on the finer details. I'm definitely all for investors coming in and injecting a lot of money into the club

Just what we need

Russian corrupt criminals in charge of the club

heard from a decent source involved with a-league clubs that russian investor(s) are interested in buying the club

Munn stated about 6 months ago or something that European investors were interested in the club, they didn't sell then so don't think they would sell now.

i really think we do need some more investors on board though. There's no way we're going to be succesful the way we're going at the moment.

heard from a decent source involved with a-league clubs that russian investor(s) are interested in buying the club

Hearing they are not the only ones.

I welcome new owners.

Supporting Hearts in Scotland I have a word of warning. Be careful of what you want, you might get a Lithuanian banker.

• Like 1

Hearing they are not the only ones.

I welcome new owners.

Supporting Hearts in Scotland I have a word of warning. Be careful of what you want, you might get a Lithuanian banker.

Mate I've followed Newcastle United all my life. We used to be ambitions till a billionaire bought us.

Ambition is what I want. In this market along with salary caps governing our sport investment would mean into marketing, coaches, academies, marquee players. If new owners give us more clout to do this then it's what we need.

We need to become relevant.

• Like 2

Anybody interested in wasting an hour or so can trawl through the 255 comments on this article.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/11/11/a-league-needs-its-broken-heart-to-mend/

Actually, that's an awful lot of comments compared to the usual amount on the theroar.com  And people think we're a pissant club that nobody wants to talk about :P

Edited by HEARTinator

Anybody interested in wasting an hour or so can trawl through the 255 comments on this article.

Actually, that's an awful lot of comments compared to the usual amount on the theroar.com And people think we're a pissant club that nobody wants to talk about :P

woeful use of stats. The two season attendance averages he uses go from 2 home derbies to 1. Of course the averages are gonna drop. Uf you take out the derbies our attendances have been generally trending upwards season after season

Actually, that's an awful lot of comments compared to the usual amount on the theroar.com And people think we're a pissant club that nobody wants to talk about :P

Terrible article...most of the comments though were pretty spot on and well thought out. Edited by hedaik

Actually, that's an awful lot of comments compared to the usual amount on the theroar.com  And people think we're a pissant club that nobody wants to talk about :P

I'm fascinated that so many people want to make gratuitous comments about MHFC, our identity (generally the lack of one), where we should move to (usually to a country town somewhere with a small population), and our attendances, and even suggest that we build our own stadium (but not bothering to remember that no other club has their own).

Yes, our home attendances are boosted by the local derbies with MV, but then so are MV's attendances boosted by their local derbies with us...

I'm not surprised that football grows only slowly in this country when I see such narrow-minded opinions.

• Like 1

Victory no more represents Victoria than a banana represents Australia, but its green and yellow.

This really is the best comment :lol:

MV fans are still obsessed with our club, at their Heart they feel very insecure. This is a great opportunity for us but it's being frittered away. Apart from the rubbish geography comments there is a lot of truth in some comments. We don't have a geographical identity but we did have a football identity, now we don't have that any more. This existential issue would be obscured if we were winning, now its there for all to see. If we don't fix it soon we may as well change our name to Melbourne 1860 and be the permanent shit sibling to 'Bayern' Victory. We won't fix it by just winning games, we'll fix it with a clear football identity that we don't chop and change.

• Like 1

Id like to make the point that we have a solid base. We break even and keep going along even with the poor performances, this can only be a good thing for the future that as a club, financially, we are fine even when we are preforming poorly on the field. I have no issue with this slow growth that we seem to have as it gives us a better chance to mould the club in a coherent image and not have it torn apart by multiple groups and agendas, we are one club. We are already starting to build an identity with the engagement with the local community (I remind everyone this is why we have Westpac as our principle sponsor) and this approach takes time to build. We also have that heart zone thing and the twitter handles and the Cryuff academy. Sure the first two might be lame in some people’s eyes but it’s a point of difference for us to use. That we are not afraid to experiment and that we are willing to try new and different things (bar the current coach :P ). I also think perhaps the most beneficial thing of having a slow start so to speak is that we have one supporters group and because its small it’s much easier to mould and shape and to establish a good relationship with the MHFC admin, which by all accounts, we have great support. So, when it does grow we have a strong core so there is less chance if splinters occurring, it’s one of the things I don't like about about some other clubs they have a few, id rather have one and one club. Yarraside and MHFC. Besides, I've always thought its through the hard and lean times that you build character. /rant

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

Attack causing John Aloisi grief as Melbourne Heart lag in front third performance

Matt Windley Herald Sun November 12, 2013

MELBOURNE Heart is on the bottom of the A-League ladder, ranks last for goals scored and tellingly ranks last for shots on target.

Coach John Aloisi last week dismissed suggestions his team is "toothless" in attack.

He insists the team has been playing well and creating chances and that the goals will eventually flow.

And he's got the figures to back that assertion up.

While Heart has only found the back of the net twice, in a matter of minutes against Central Coast in Round 2, their total shot count over the first five games is competitive with the rest of the teams in the league.

Fox Sports Stats reveal Aloisi's men have had 64 shots this season.

That ranks them sixth, but only five shots behind league-leaders Melbourne Victory.

The problem then, clearly, is accuracy.

Of those 64 shots, only 27.1 per cent have been on target.

To compare, 67.3 per cent of Brisbane's 66 shots have been on target while even ninth-ranked Wellington have had 39.6 per cent of its 68 shots hit the mark - well above Heart.

So who are the main culprits?

Iain Ramsay has had the most shots in the league without getting one on target with six.

Particularly noteworthy was his miss in the sixth minute against Roar in Round 3 when, after getting one-on-one with goalkeeper Michael Theo, he shot wide.

Heart dominated the first half of that game and had eight shots to Brisbane's three, but only forced Theo in to making one save and went in to the break 0-0 before going down 3-0.

Ramsay is one of six Heart players who have fired off more than five shots so far this season, David Williams (11), Golgol Mebrahtu (9), Andrea Migliorini (8), Michael Mifsud (5) and Aziz Behich (5).

Just Williams (twice) has found the back of the net while only Williams, Mebrahtu and Patrick Gerhardt have registered more than one shot on target.

Heart has now failed to score in three straight matches - the only time they've been on a longer run than this was in December 2010 when they suffered a five-game drought.

Aloisi acknowledged the frustration of supporters after the weekend's loss to Western Sydney, but remained positive about his team's attacking prospects.

"Hitting the crossbar twice... I wouldn't say (that is) toothless," Aloisi said.

"I wouldn't say getting balls cleared off the line was a bit toothless.

"I would say that on occasions when we get in good positions we could have more players in the box, more bodies in there.

"But when you're creating that many chances against Western Sydney, who are the most organised side in the league, then you're doing something right. And we'll get better - I'd be very, very worried if we weren't creating opportunities."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/attack-causing-john-aloisi-grief-as-melbourne-heart-lag-in-front-third-performance/story-e6frf4gl-1226758532328

Here are shooting graphics of the last 2 games:

BYlWDeACcAA1LUm.jpg

5.%20Shots%20comparison.png

Edited by Murfy1

Attack causing John Aloisi grief as Melbourne Heart lag in front third performance

Matt Windley Herald Sun November 12, 2013

MELBOURNE Heart is on the bottom of the A-League ladder, ranks last for goals scored and tellingly ranks last for shots on target.

Coach John Aloisi last week dismissed suggestions his team is "toothless" in attack.

He insists the team has been playing well and creating chances and that the goals will eventually flow.

And he's got the figures to back that assertion up.

While Heart has only found the back of the net twice, in a matter of minutes against Central Coast in Round 2, their total shot count over the first five games is competitive with the rest of the teams in the league.

Fox Sports Stats reveal Aloisi's men have had 64 shots this season.

That ranks them sixth, but only five shots behind league-leaders Melbourne Victory.

The problem then, clearly, is accuracy.

Of those 64 shots, only 27.1 per cent have been on target.

To compare, 67.3 per cent of Brisbane's 66 shots have been on target while even ninth-ranked Wellington have had 39.6 per cent of its 68 shots hit the mark - well above Heart.

So who are the main culprits?

Iain Ramsay has had the most shots in the league without getting one on target with six.

Particularly noteworthy was his miss in the sixth minute against Roar in Round 3 when, after getting one-on-one with goalkeeper Michael Theo, he shot wide.

Heart dominated the first half of that game and had eight shots to Brisbane's three, but only forced Theo in to making one save and went in to the break 0-0 before going down 3-0.

Ramsay is one of six Heart players who have fired off more than five shots so far this season, David Williams (11), Golgol Mebrahtu (9), Andrea Migliorini (8), Michael Mifsud (5) and Aziz Behich (5).

Just Williams (twice) has found the back of the net while only Williams, Mebrahtu and Patrick Gerhardt have registered more than one shot on target.

Heart has now failed to score in three straight matches - the only time they've been on a longer run than this was in December 2010 when they suffered a five-game drought.

Aloisi acknowledged the frustration of supporters after the weekend's loss to Western Sydney, but remained positive about his team's attacking prospects.

"Hitting the crossbar twice... I wouldn't say (that is) toothless," Aloisi said.

"I wouldn't say getting balls cleared off the line was a bit toothless.

"I would say that on occasions when we get in good positions we could have more players in the box, more bodies in there.

"But when you're creating that many chances against Western Sydney, who are the most organised side in the league, then you're doing something right. And we'll get better - I'd be very, very worried if we weren't creating opportunities."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/attack-causing-john-aloisi-grief-as-melbourne-heart-lag-in-front-third-performance/story-e6frf4gl-1226758532328

Here are shooting graphics of the last 2 games:

BYlWDeACcAA1LUm.jpg

5.%20Shots%20comparison.png

This is disgusting to look at.