Melbourne Football

City in the headlines

millm103

from the preseason games i saw, the team looked 10 times better with Ramsey on the left.

who starts up front is a bit of a worry since I neither saw Williams or Golgol making a massive impact preseason.  i'd probably go with Williams since (a) he can play out a game and (b.) Golgol has been known to be extremely lively when he comes on late (thinking the 1-0 win over Perth last season).  hence Golgol would make the bigger impact later on should we need it.

if they really are worried about Kewell, then Dugandzic could always be moved central

Edited by mattyh001

from the preseason games i saw, the team looked 10 times better with Ramsey on the left.

who starts up front is a bit of a worry since I neither saw Williams or Golgol making a massive impact preseason.  i'd probably go with Williams since (a) he can play out a game and (b.) Golgol has been known to be extremely lively when he comes on late (thinking the 1-0 win over Perth last season).  hence Golgol would make the bigger impact later on should we need it.

if they really are worried about Kewell, then Dugandzic could always be moved central

Didn't Gol Gol score starting against WSW while the rest of our team crumbled, as well as hitting the bar on a FK last Etihad derby, as well the FK against Wellington, just don't think we can look past Gol Gol for scoring

• Like 2

Didn't Gol Gol score starting against WSW while the rest of our team crumbled, as well as hitting the bar on a FK last Etihad derby, as well the FK against Wellington, just don't think we can look past Gol Gol for scoring

Exactly

His presence also made the side last year (And JA said this himself) about three times more dangerous from Corners as well as Freekicks.

Golgol is cleary faster and a better shot than Williams - His the logical choice for CF come saturday night with Misfud being absent.

• Like 1

So the squad is well-balanced but we don't have an automatic third choice for the central striker? And I thought this was what pre-season was all about.

I reckon Williams has a poor chance/conversion ratio, and on that basis GG, despite his seemingly erratic work-rate, is a better choice. And he can take a free-kick.

I'd start GG. The lad has to stand up sooner or later. Duga-GG-Ramsay for me up front.

who starts up front is a bit of a worry since I neither saw Williams or Golgol making a massive impact preseason. i'd probably go with Williams since (a) he can play out a game and (b.) Golgol has been known to be extremely lively when he comes on late (thinking the 1-0 win over Perth last season). hence Golgol would make the bigger impact later on should we need it.

Exactly

His presence also made the side last year (And JA said this himself) about three times more dangerous from Corners as well as Freekicks.

Golgol is cleary faster and a better shot than Williams - His the logical choice for CF come saturday night with Misfud being absent.

If Williams was more composed and better at finishing we would have cleaned up last year at the first derby.

He had few very nice balls delivered to him and he should have done better with them then hitting the keeper or blasting over the bar.

Exactly

His presence also made the side last year (And JA said this himself) about three times more dangerous from Corners as well as Freekicks.

by all means, Golgol could start and that would be okay by me. Golgol has been good in the past.  and TBH you're quite right about how good Golgol is on set pieces - something i didnt originally consider. 

at the same time, Williams is one of the best Heart players for switching the play - think of how many times you've seen Williams pick the ball up in our own half and hit an accuate 50 metre diagonal / horizontal ball.  with all that Williams does wrong perhaps it's one of those skills that goes unseen / not noticed but Williams does it well.  as such, Williams might be good for playing the front man in the counter system Aloisi has played all preseason.

admittedly Williams has his flaws; his inability to be consistent is quite frustraiting.  so eitherway would be okay.

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/PROFILE-Defenders--Gerhardt-Kisnorbo-Walker/76581

PROFILE: Defenders - Gerhardt, Kisnorbo, Walker

Sunday, 6 October 2013 7:06 PM

00076581-leadimage.png

With just six days until Melbourne Heart's opening match of the Hyundai A-League 2013-14 season, we take a look at each of the Club's 24 players.

We start with three defenders - Patrick Gerhardt - who has also demonstrated his versatility in midfield - new recruit Patrick Kisnorbo and Jeremy Walker, who commences his first full season as a contracted senior player for the Red and White.

6. Patrick Gerhardt
Patrick Nyema Gerhardt joined Melbourne Heart FC in June 2012 on two-year deal from Bosnian side FK Željeznicar. During his time there he played a pivotal role in helping the Sarajevo outfit to the League and Cup double.

A utility player with considerable international experience, Gerhardt was born in Switzerland and represented his birth country as a teenager. Along with FK Željeznicar, Gerhardt has played for CS Otopeni in Romania, and Brantford Galaxy in Canada before transferring to Melbourne.

While playing for Brantford Galaxy, Gerhardt helped the side win the league playoffs, where they came from 7th place to win the final. Eligible to play for Liberia through his African mother, Gerhardt accepted the call to play for the national team and debuted in 2011.
N
ow in his second season with Melbourne Heat, Gerhardt will look to pick up where he left off as he finished the season as one of Heart’s most impressive players.

Regarded by many for his strength, heading ability and industrious work rate, Gerhardt adds both quality and experience to rest of the young Heart team.

Head Coach John Aloisi has also been impressed by Gerhardt’s versatility and he has emerged as the bedrock of the Melbourne Heart line up. His ability to play both in defence and midfield is testament to the hard work that Gerhardt has put in over the years.

Gerhardt expects Melbourne Heart to improve on last year’s performance, saying that the team will be fitter and stronger than ever - and are ready for Round One.

“We’re very confident that we can win the game [against Melbourne Victory] because we’ve had a strong pre-season and worked hard and we’re confident in ourselves,” Gerhardt told the Herald Sun

“Now when we play we feel more comfortable so we should have a much better season.”

As part of Heart’s commitment to community development, players sometimes visit the Collingwood Homework Club, and Gerhardt’s recent appearances are a hit with kids.

24. Patrick Kisnorbo
Patrick Kisnorbo, 32, returns home to Melbourne after over a decade spent in the United Kingdom where he had successful spells with Hearts of Midlothian, Leeds United and Leicester City, captaining the latter during their time in the Championship.

Kisnorbo began playing football for Essendon and Bulleen, before forcing himself into the South Melbourne lineup in the now defunct NSL, and is looking forward to playing regularly in his hometown.

While playing for Hearts Kisnorbo tasted UEFA Cup action, playing against quality clubs like Feyenoord, Schalke 04, and Bordeaux.

Kisnorbo has also played 18 times for the Socceroos, the last of which was in 2010. He can count himself very unlucky to miss the plane to South Africa, after he ruptured his Achilles tendon in a match against Milwall just prior to the World Cup.

“It was the biggest disappointment, every kid growing up wants to go to the World Cup and play for their country. But you have to get up and keep fighting and playing,” Kisnorbo said.

And that’s exactly what he’s done.

The uncompromising defender will add a wealth of experience Heart’s backline, and his strength on the ball will certainly aid Heart’s quest for its maiden premiership.

Head Coach John Aloisi is delighted to once again be working with his one-time Socceroo team-mate.

“In addition to being an excellent defender, Patrick brings tremendous leadership qualities and competitiveness to our defensive half,” Aloisi said.

“Anyone who has followed the Socceroos appreciates the energy and fearlessness with which Patrick plays and his all-round game means he can partner with anyone in central defence. Having him in the squad strengthens our spine and provides me with a number of tactical options.”

2. Jeremy Walker
Jeremy Walker made a terrific start to his A-League career, starting in 13 of Melbourne Heart FC’s matches last season.

The youngster surprised many by turning in some very impressive performances.

Walker will look to build on his already exciting game and really cement his spot in the Heart defence in the 2013/2014 A-League season.

The young defender signed a professional A-League contract with Melbourne Heart FC just 18 months after joining the Club’s youth team. Heart coach John Aloisi believes that the fledgling defender fully deserves his professional deal.

“Jeremy has illustrated that he has the ability for first-team football and has a great capacity to learn and work hard,” Aloisi said.

“It’s something that we’ve been doing now for the last three seasons, trying to bring through young players, not just for the sake of it, but that we believe can benefit the team and our squad and Jeremy has proved that.”

Walker has the ability to play in a number of positions. He started out as a central midfielder, then became a right-winger, before being transformed into the full-back that he is today.

In his short career, Walker has already faced Alessandro Del Piero three times, and the Italian legend has complimented the rising Tasmanian youngster for his brave and dogged display. Fans awarded Walker their Man of the Match award in the 3-1 triumph over Sydney.

The 20-year old is the first player from the Tasmanian National Training Centre program to play in the A-League, and as a result claims the moniker of being the ‘Trailblazer for Tasmanian football’.

Growing up in Ulverstone on the island's northwest coast, Jeremy played AFL and cricket but his heart was always with the round ball game.

if Walker is the first outta Tasmania's NTC program, then i do find it funny in that he is playing for us and not the visitors given their presence down there

Edited by mattyh001

------------------Redders------------

Walker---Kisnorbo-Weilart----Behich

--------------Gerhadt-----------------------

Murdocca----------------------Kewell----

Mate-----------------------------Ramsay

--------------Williams--------------------

or

------------------Redders------------

Walker---Kisnorbo-Weilart----Behich

-------Gerhadt---------Murdocca

----------------Kewell-------------

Mate-----------------------------Ramsay

--------------Williams--------------------

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/soccer-clubs-police-crack-down-on-hooligans-at-melbourne-games/story-fni2wcjl-1226733829559

829531-7c85b932-2d5a-11e3-8a42-0a8020a81

Heart's Clint Bolton and Victory's Kevin Muscat want a more family-friendly environment at soccer games. Source: News Limited

SNIFFER dogs will be used to search for flares, video analysts sent to high-risk matches to track known offenders and rogue supporter groups targeted by clubs in an unprecedented crackdown on Victorian soccer hooligans.

A DEDICATED police investigations team headed by a high-ranking detective formed to probe all criminal incidents at A-League matches;

RIVAL teams Melbourne Victory and Melbourne Heart ban flags and banners of splinter supporter groups in the stands, clamping down on the association of rogue fans;

DOB-a-yobbo text messaging hotlines for matches at AAMII Park as well as Etihad Stadium for the first time to encourage fans to alert police and security about troublemakers;

STRONGER ticket entry regulations with members forced to scan their pass on entry and again when they reach certain parts of the ground and;

IMPROVED CCTV and video monitoring of fans.

On the spot fines of $772 will be issued to anti-social fans and bans from attending matches lifted from two years to a maximum of five years.

Edited by Corn Bread

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/soccer-clubs-police-crack-down-on-hooligans-at-melbourne-games/story-fni2wcjl-1226733829559

Heart's Clint Bolton and Victory's Kevin Muscat want a more family-friendly environment at soccer games. Source: News Limited

SNIFFER dogs will be used to search for flares, video analysts sent to high-risk matches to track known offenders and rogue supporter groups targeted by clubs in an unprecedented crackdown on Victorian soccer hooligans.

A DEDICATED police investigations team headed by a high-ranking detective formed to probe all criminal incidents at A-League matches;

RIVAL teams Melbourne Victory and Melbourne Heart ban flags and banners of splinter supporter groups in the stands, clamping down on the association of rogue fans;

DOB-a-yobbo text messaging hotlines for matches at AAMII Park as well as Etihad Stadium for the first time to encourage fans to alert police and security about troublemakers;

STRONGER ticket entry regulations with members forced to scan their pass on entry and again when they reach certain parts of the ground and;

On the spot fines of $772 will be issued to anti-social fans and bans from attending matches lifted from two years to a maximum of five years.

so sad that things have resorted / sunk to this.

dont quite know tho how they aim to fix anything with the stronger ticket regulation side of things - surely people can enter and reenter their seating area for any time they wish to take a piss, grab a drink, etc.  as such, whats stopping people from exiting their section with a couple of tickets and coming back with a few extra mates - whats stopping people from 'smuggling' others in?

So Muskat, the guy who had a tantrum and broke a young players leg because they threw their lead away (with one of the goals coming from him pushing the wall over) wants a more friendly environment at the soccer does he?

What a hypocritical fuck wit.

If I was Bootsa I would have refused to be photographed with that hack.

Edit - Why are they doing the "Peter Crouch's European Vaction Hand Signal" ??

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

So Muskat, the guy who had a tantrum and broke a young players leg because they threw their lead away (with one of the goals coming from him pushing the wall over) wants a more friendly environment at the soccer does he?

Edit - Why are they doing the "Peter Crouch's European Vaction Hand Signal" ??

Meant to be a zero... or maybe a 3 lol

As a concerned mother I applaud these changes. We must always remember to think of the children, after all there needs are more important than ours. Next we will try and get beer banned from games and replaced with ginger beer :up: also, we will make sure that swearing at soccer matches will carry punishment of jailtime :up: think of the children

• Like 1

so sad that things have resorted / sunk to this.

dont quite know tho how they aim to fix anything with the stronger ticket regulation side of things - surely people can enter and reenter their seating area for any time they wish to take a piss, grab a drink, etc.  as such, whats stopping people from exiting their section with a couple of tickets and coming back with a few extra mates - whats stopping people from 'smuggling' others in?

I think thats the plan for most people. I k now a few mates who missed out on active area and are trying to smuggle themselves in.

Active area is going to have a hell of a lot more people than it should which i wont mind.

Pathetic that they are so heavy handed on football. There maybe fights here and there but the same thing can be said for afl. I can remember  seeing more people kicked out and pepper sprayed at an AFL game than an A League game and this is even including the 2 times id ben kicked out of deries lol

I have to admit, I didn't know who or what Fred Perry was till I came on this forum.

The FFA will fight violence ... that barely exists

Good read !!!

Kevin Muscat: the man who rearranged Christophe Dugarry's knee ligaments in a friendly; who ended Matty Holmes's career; who gave Adrian Zahra this friendly tap-up in the Melbourne derby is now being used to plead with confused fans to respect the family friendly nature of the A-League.

• Like 2

I have to admit, I didn't know who or what Fred Perry was till I came on this forum.

The FFA will fight violence ... that barely exists

Good read !!!

Kevin Muscat: the man who rearranged Christophe Dugarry's knee ligaments in a friendly; who ended Matty Holmes's career; who gave Adrian Zahra this friendly tap-up in the Melbourne derby is now being used to plead with confused fans to respect the family friendly nature of the A-League.

Yep - Looks like Muscunt really cares about the AntI Hool Patrol by the looks of this pic on the North terrace FB Page.

post-385-0-05990600-1381125181_thumb.jpg

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

Edit - Why are they doing the "Peter Crouch's European Vaction Hand Signal" ?? Meant to be a zero... or maybe a 3 lol

It's from a no to violence campaign a while back: zero tolerance.

Edit - Why are they doing the "Peter Crouch's European Vaction Hand Signal" ?? Meant to be a zero... or maybe a 3 lol

It's from a no to violence campaign a while back: zero tolerance.

I know that as the gesture for perfect - the complete opposite of what they're trying to depict.

Aziz Behich eyes Socceroos left-back role after Adama Traore ruled ineligible

David Davutovic

Herald Sun

October 07, 2013 10:10pm

He left Melbourne Heart four days before the last Melbourne derby so its only apt that Aziz Behichs first game since returning from Turkey is against Melbourne Victory.

Behich’s last derby contribution was a desperate goal line clearance from Archie Thompson’s cheeky last-minute lob which was correctly ruled a goal to secure Victory a 2-1 win at AAMI Park last December.

And Behich, who’s been loaned back to Heart for the 2013-14 season by Turkish side Bursaspor, is hoping the returning home will help him win another chance at making the Socceroos squad after making his debut last year.

And the misfortune of his opposite number in Saturday’s night’s derby at Etihad Stadium Adama Traore, could be a blessing for Behich as he has one less player to compete with for the Socceroos’ problematic left-back position.

Football Federation Australia last week confirmed that Traore was ineligible to represent Australia due to a FIFA regulation as he didn’t have an Australian passport when representing Ivory Coast at youth level.

But Behich, 22, said he was confident in his own ability and was looking forward to returning to his stunning 2012-13 form, starting Saturday.

"I did crack the squad before I left and I’d like to get back in and individually I’m hoping to carry on from the way I played last season,’’ Behich said.

"Competition’s always good but I do back myself against anyone so hopefully as a team we have a great season, if the team’s doing well everyone looks better.

"It’s been a long off-season so to kick it off with the derby you can’t ask for much more.

"The last time I played Victory wasn’t a good game because we lost. I’m pretty hungry to get going with the season.

"I missed the last derby of last season, I left that week so I’m hungry to play them.

"I really don’t mind playing games like this but every game I go in with the same mindset. I don’t like coming off second best, I’m pretty competitive."

Behich could lock horns with Thompson after the Victory attacker played on the right wing in their most recent friendly against Adelaide United as regular Kosta Barbarouses is away with New Zealand.

Heart’s form declined after Behich’s departure, with his pace and constant overlap from left back missing.

He made just two appearances for Bursaspor last season both on the left wing, a full match in a Turkish Cup game before coming on as a substitute in an away loss to Fenerbahce.

Despite his lack of gametime Behich said he wouldn’t change anything and hopes a solid season will him return to Turkey and nail down a first 11 spot next season.

"Playing in Europe is something that I wanted to do and Turkey is somewhere I wanted to play because it’s my background, and Bursa’s a big club so no regrets,’’ he said.

"I enjoyed my time there, I’m only back on loan so hopefully I can do well here and go back over there and break into the squad.

"Match fitness was something I lost a bit of, but I was still in good shape when I got back. I learnt a lot overseas as well, trained and played with a lot of good players.’’

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/aziz-behich-eyes-socceroos-left-back-role-after-adama-traore-ruled-ineligible/story-e6frfkp9-1226734335022

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1