Melbourne Football

A-league expansion

Pigeon

I think the Ethnic issue can be resolved.

How about the creation of a new 3rd Melbourne team jointly owned by the major Victorian VPL teams?

eg Avondale/Bentleigh/Bulleen/Green Gully/Heidelberg/Hume/knights/Northcote/Oakleigh/Pascoe Vale/Port/Richmond/South Melbourne each owning about 7-8 shares.

You would only need 1000 supporters from each club to come along to games and you have an instant 13k crowd. The club would not be representative of any one ethnicity but of all the ethnicities, perhaps with some kind of shield with all the colours and ethnicities represented on the shield. Most importantly the club would not be privately owned.

A club built in this way from the bottom up would be an instant success in my view. 

Edited by pberrett

18 hours ago, cadete said:

I just like calling out flogs like you for saying daft things when I'm bored at work... because it's fun and I'm good at it. :up:

And I have meet u once and you were def not the relaxed one out of us two.

Also it doesn't matter what you post... you are never gonna get likes or a pat on the back here.

You do a pretty poor job calling out "flogs" in all honesty.... you just end up looking silly most of the time but hey, whatever helps you sleep at night :up:

I'm not about fighting tho det, i'm about peace and love brother. Please accept a like and the changing of my profile picture 4 u.

I just wanna be friends <3 

EDIT: Out of likes ffs, when i get some more i owe you <3

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, pberrett said:

How about the creation of a new 3rd Melbourne team jointly owned by the major Victorian VPL teams?

eg Avondale/Bentleigh/Bulleen/Green Gully/Heidelberg/Hume/knights/Northcote/Oakleigh/Pascoe Vale/Port/Richmond/South Melbourne each owning about 7-8 shares.

You would only need 1000 supporters from each club to come along to games and you have an instant 13k crowd. The club would not be representative of any one ethnicity but of all the ethnicities, perhaps with some kind of shield with all the colours and ethnicities represented on the shield. Most importantly the club would not be privately owned.

A club built in this way from the bottom up would be an instant success in my view. 

A franchise fabricated from the parts of different ethnic based teams. Don't like your chances. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pberrett said:

Its an interesting idea i will give you that

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Er, I think you may have forgotten something. Melbourne Heart was supposed to pick up all those fans in Melbourne who were not already aligned with Victory...

The problem was there was never any real connection between Heart and the local clubs (and still isn't),  or sense of ownership from the ethnic fans. The reality was Heart picked up its fans from disaffected Victory supporters who disagreed with the way Muscat played and other gripes with that club. 

10 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Its an interesting idea i will give you that

Ideally you would call them Melbourne United but somebody else grabbed that name. You could have had a United v City derby. 

Edited by pberrett

put the wacky tobaccy pipe down mahatma ghandi.

Clubs born out of the same ethnicity have a complete hatred for each other in the npl, I struggle to comprehend a board comprising of serbs/croats, greeks/macos/turks operating a fully functional professional football club successfully.

Edited by sheepdog
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, sheepdog said:

put the wacky tobaccy pipe down mahatma ghandi.

Clubs born out of the same ethnicity have a complete hatred for each other in the npl, I struggle to comprehend a board comprising of serbs/croats, greeks/macos/turks operating a fully functional professional football club successfully.

If you merge 2 greek clubs together you'll get chaos. 

You wouldn't get to the meeting stage.

More chance of solving the Middle East problem.

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 1

Not happening. Would defeat the purpose of why the A-League was established. Victory got all the glory-hunting Hellas fans and we pretty much got the scraps of what remained of the people that gave the A-League the ass when FFA gave the NSL the ass. This applies to me and several other mates with Hellas/Knights supporting fathers/families  as we basically said fuck this "Melbourne Victory malakies" and specifically waited for the second Melbourne team. If Hellas came in, you've got Knights, Alexandros, Hume etc and the other ethnic clubs that will essentially cause a shitstorm as to why they were booted yet an ethnic club is back in the frame all of a sudden. It'll piss a lot of people off that have gotten attached to Victory and Heart/City and leave them in 2 minds of whether to go back to the bloodline club or stay and feel guilty you've ditched/moved on from them and whatnot. Merging the ethnic clubs will be a disaster in itself with Moey from Hume wanting this yet Stavros from Hellas wanting that and Ivan from Croatia saying fuck you farken I want this. No chance. The ethnic clubs should be happy they get exposure in the FFA Cup, all it takes is one person ripping a flare or a fight breaking out and you've got the Media headlining "Ethnic clubs back in the spotlight.....all for the wrong reasons....nothing's changed" etc. If the ethnic clubs, financially viable or not, want to be nationally recognised again, they should make their own national league and let them kill themselves there where no one will care. All those "fans" that still haven't picked up Victory or us can get fucked, if they don't want to be apart of the future of football in Australia (the aleague) it's their loss. Rant over. 

1 minute ago, Baka1 said:

Not happening. Would defeat the purpose of why the A-League was established. Victory got all the glory-hunting Hellas fans and we pretty much got the scraps of what remained of the people that gave the A-League the ass when FFA gave the NSL the ass. This applies to me and several other mates with Hellas/Knights supporting fathers/families  as we basically said fuck this "Melbourne Victory malakies" and specifically waited for the second Melbourne team. If Hellas came in, you've got Knights, Alexandros, Hume etc and the other ethnic clubs that will essentially cause a shitstorm as to why they were booted yet an ethnic club is back in the frame all of a sudden. It'll piss a lot of people off that have gotten attached to Victory and Heart/City and leave them in 2 minds of whether to go back to the bloodline club or stay and feel guilty you've ditched/moved on from them and whatnot. Merging the ethnic clubs will be a disaster in itself with Moey from Hume wanting this yet Stavros from Hellas wanting that and Ivan from Croatia saying fuck you farken I want this. No chance. The ethnic clubs should be happy they get exposure in the FFA Cup, all it takes is one person ripping a flare or a fight breaking out and you've got the Media headlining "Ethnic clubs back in the spotlight.....all for the wrong reasons....nothing's changed" etc. If the ethnic clubs, financially viable or not, want to be nationally recognised again, they should make their own national league and let them kill themselves there where no one will care. All those "fans" that still haven't picked up Victory or us can get fucked, if they don't want to be apart of the future of football in Australia (the aleague) it's their loss. Rant over. 

Most of those clubs are not in the same class as smfc, to give you an eg they would regularly get crowds of 10k+ against Perth in the NSL, we have only done that once in last years final, Hume, Heidelberg and to a lesser extent knights were never at that level, Hume not at that level period. But nothing should stop any club from being ambitious including the smaller clubs.

the ones that haven't picked a club should not have to justify being loyal to the club they have always followed, telling them to get fucked is ridiculous, the people that go watch south, Heidelberg, Knights etc 25 times a year in the middle of winter are just as bigger supporters of the game as those that attend a dozen victory/city games.

• Like 1

If they really cared about their club South would be popping 20k a week in the NPL. It's time to move on, from the NSL, South or whatever ethnic team that you followed. And besides how the heck is any nonethnic NPL team in Melbourne capable of pulling 8k a game if they made the aleague ? Give me a Geelong, Tassie, Wollongong or even a 2nd Adelaide team.

• Like 1

Just now, Baka1 said:

If they really cared about their club South would be popping 20k a week in the NPL. It's time to move on, from the NSL, South or whatever ethnic team that you followed. And besides how the heck is any nonethnic NPL team in Melbourne capable of pulling 8k a game if they made the aleague ? Give me a Geelong, Tassie, Wollongong or even a 2nd Adelaide team.

No club is ever going to get 20k in a state league, we don't even get 20k lol. Telling them to move on is silly, it's there team and the ones that turn up care, they shouldn't be told to get fucked for not changing teams. If city ever folded/relegated/whatever and you told me to support MV I'd tell you to get fucked as well.

10 minutes ago, Baka1 said:

And besides how the heck is any nonethnic NPL team in Melbourne capable of pulling 8k a game if they made the aleague ? 

They wouldn't be capable. 

Its called having respect for the people and clubs who bought/founded/created the game in this country by not booting them from a national league they busted their balls to make happen.

Telling them to move on is ludicrous. Majority of the people I know,and myself included, have no issue in watching their clubs play on cow paddocks in the burbs due to the fact that it is STILL THE SAME CLUB they first followed and learned to love the game with.

Sure, we all want to see our clubs in the national league where they rightfully belong, but not at the expense of history and traditions.

*** im not sure if that made as much sense as I hoped it would, but fuck you @hedaik!!! I told myself I wouldn't bite. FUCK!

Who did you support in the NSL may I ask? And if you did support someone, would you go back? Being a member for 6 years at this club, I wouldn't go back to South, I was only young at the time of the demise of the NSL but people like my dad and his cousins and whatnot would be crossed in 2 minds now seeing as we've supportered City for almost a decade now.

39 minutes ago, Baka1 said:

Who did you support in the NSL may I ask? And if you did support someone, would you go back? Being a member for 6 years at this club, I wouldn't go back to South, I was only young at the time of the demise of the NSL but people like my dad and his cousins and whatnot would be crossed in 2 minds now seeing as we've supportered City for almost a decade now.

Alright. Here goes.

I supported south Melbourne. Me and 2 mates used to travel from Phillip island and back every 2nd sunday to watch football at the highest level in the country.

Also take into account that all 3 of us have no Greek heritage at all so the "you have to be *insert certain ethnicity here* to support a certain club" is straight up bullshit.

It took a lot for me to purchase a season ticket (you say membership) to the franchise (you say club) that was heart but now city. A LOT. I still feel as if im cheating on my original team.

Would I go back? Shit man, ive never left. I still attend most home games and away games in the SE suburbs. I still say what up and have a beer with the friends, Greek, Anglo, Polish, English, Italian, I have made through supporting the club.

Now I ask you, with the circus surrounding the rather dubious acquisition of Tim Cahill, the change of ownership to our arab overlords, our laughable resources pre takeover and many more little things, would you say you have the same level of pride and sense of acheivement as a supporter of a club that literally started from scratch and faced nothing but hurdles, media discrimination and dare I say a touch of racism, only to soldier on and provide a club for people to play the game we all love?

You state that your dad and his cousins would be in 2 minds on whether to support an a league team. Bro, let me break it to you, If they heard you say shit like "just move on", I dare say they are internally heart broken and have contemplated disowning/honour killing you.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sheepdog said:

Alright. Here goes.

I supported south Melbourne. Me and 2 mates used to travel from Phillip island and back every 2nd sunday to watch football at the highest level in the country.

Also take into account that all 3 of us have no Greek heritage at all so the "you have to be *insert certain ethnicity here* to support a certain club" is straight up bullshit.

It took a lot for me to purchase a season ticket (you say membership) to the franchise (you say club) that was heart but now city. A LOT. I still feel as if im cheating on my original team.

Would I go back? Shit man, ive never left. I still attend most home games and away games in the SE suburbs. I still say what up and have a beer with the friends, Greek, Anglo, Polish, English, Italian, I have made through supporting the club.

Now I ask you, with the circus surrounding the rather dubious acquisition of Tim Cahill, the change of ownership to our arab overlords, our laughable resources pre takeover and many more little things, would you say you have the same level of pride and sense of acheivement as a supporter of a club that literally started from scratch and faced nothing but hurdles, media discrimination and dare I say a touch of racism, only to soldier on and provide a club for people to play the game we all love?

You state that your dad and his cousins would be in 2 minds on whether to support an a league team. Bro, let me break it to you, If they heard you say shit like "just move on", I dare say they are internally heart broken and have contemplated disowning/honour killing you.

They've moved on to an extent but still, bloodline club. Don't get me wrong there are those few that aren't of Greek heritage that supported South, but let's be real 90% of Hellas fans were of Greek descent. As sad as it is the whole oil money takeover is essentially what modern football has become, and I'd personally hate South to become just another team who gets bought out by some squillionares and lose that people's club feel. In the NPL they flourish because they are still that family club. I try to get to as many games as I can but its hard playing soccer on Sunday's which are mostly when South plays. Souths my team in the aleague off season no ifs or buts, my dads side still go to games regularly as they are mostly located in and around the city. As far as making it to the aleague, they probably could survive financially but it takes away many Victory members, a fair few City members and causes a shitstorm as they are still known and sung as Hellas amongst their fans and Australian football community. NPL is where they belong now, sadly.

I use to live in st kilda and south Melbourne was my local team in the NSL, I don't get to watch them much now because I moved away from the area but still try pop in a few times a year at home and will still go to the away games that are close to where I am now, I'm not Greek either. I still buy a membership to help the club out. I still love the club because that's where I met some of my closest mates, many Greek but also many non Greek, very few I knew from back then go anymore, but I still feel a sense of pride going there and seeing new faces and a new generation of supporters all be it on a smaller level. Even though my support isn't the same as those die hards that follow them week to week, I can definately understand why they wouldn't want to abandon the team they have followed their whole life, hell I get a membership out of guilt more then anything, but most important of all I know deep down its a good club, despite it's migrant creation one that puts football first and has a thirst for success and being the best. That's what got me returning to watch them every 2nd week in the old days. I'm not surprised the club is constantly kicking the door down to elevate itself, as it should, once you lose the appetite to better yourself you may as well give up, they won't and never will and good on them.

The reason I never went for victory was because I despised their attitude from the get go, the chairman they had at the time Geoff lord would constantly go on radio and ridicule clubs like south, tell people to change teams and follow his franchise, many did, but to me it was a cheap shot, they were a bunch of cvnts, supporters were arrogant, the more people told me to support MV the less likely I became to cross over,  despite the fact I was dying to follow a team in the top league I knew it would never be them.

i liked heart from the beginning because the club felt more humble, tried to be less controversial and was a genuine underdog, I also believe the fan base is superior in every way, for eg our supporters would never try and belt SM fans the way victorys did in the npl this year...that I am assured of. Now if people can't respect that I followed another team before hand that's tough luck, it's simply not possible that every one magically appeared between 2005-2010. That doesn't make me any less of a city fan now, but telling the people who support the club I've followed since I was about 12 to fuck off and get over it is not on, many of them do follow the a league but on a casual level, and to me that's no problem.

• Like 1

dude, south dont need to be bought out by a random overseas billionaire. We would rather play in a shit league if it means keeping a level of self respect and (without sounding like a new jack wannabe north terrace ultra hool) not pandering to what is unfortunately one of the clearest cut examples of "modern football".

In the npl they flourish because they are still a family club. Shit, imagine if there were family clubs in the a league. Clubs/franchises might just be able to at the very least break even! How shit would that be?

Souths your team in A league off season, NO IFS OR BUTS. Thats cool. As proud as you are to state that, sorry to inform you but that is the type of support we could not give less of a fuck about. Did you support Italy in the war?

We cant have them taking precious members from victory and city now can we? Destabilising the a league. One that is steeped in history and produced many a great socceroo. It would essentially be like ripping the heart out of two clubs and watching them suffer a slow and painful death. Sound familiar? FUCK THEM. My heart bleeds.

Who the fuck are you to say they BELONG in the hellhole that is the npl? An apprentice should never try to teach the boss. Essentially you are saying, ok all ex nsl clubs, we thank you (very fucking mildly) for the hard work you have done but you can fuck off back to where you came from (slight hint of that great Australian casual racism).

None of this is a personal attack on you please believe that, I just cant sit by and let a very uneducated opinion go unchecked.

Its now 11:07 pm on a Saturday night, im off to rub one out and proceed to cry myself to sleep over the fact that I have spent a Saturday night arguing on the internet rather than going out, doing copious amounts of drugs and chasing some dirty axewound.

Peace.

• Like 2

I respect those that haven't moved on, I understand why. But supporting South with 300 people at Lakeside stadium isn't going to get them anywhere regarding aleague expansion. They should more so accept South won't be coming to the aleague, it just can't happen for a lot of reasons. Heart was bought and United a lot of the ex nsl fans that despised the Tards. But Heart shot itself in the foot with multiple shit (although memorable) years and put off a lot of potential ex nsl fans from becoming members unless they were very eager to support us simply because they hate Victory and everything about them. It'll be interesting to see what happens when we meet South in the NPL or FFA Cup, like what colours will supporters of both clubs wear etc but yeah I 100% agree there'll be no hostilities, maybe some banter here and there when Clarendon Corner call us a bunch of sellouts but it doesn't faze me. There's a lot more respect between the two clubs unlike South and Tards lol.. And MCF (Knights active) just fight everyone haha. Slowly slowly I think more and more ex nsl will jump on board us simply because of our future potential and their kids growing up wanting to support us as we'll probably be more recognised than the Tards in 15 years or so. Interesting times ahead 

52 minutes ago, Geo400 said:

I use to live in st kilda and south Melbourne was my local team in the NSL, I don't get to watch them much now because I moved away from the area but still try pop in a few times a year at home and will still go to the away games that are close to where I am now, I'm not Greek either. I still buy a membership to help the club out. I still love the club because that's where I met some of my closest mates, many Greek but also many non Greek, very few I knew from back then go anymore, but I still feel a sense of pride going there and seeing new faces and a new generation of supporters all be it on a smaller level. Even though my support isn't the same as those die hards that follow them week to week, I can definately understand why they wouldn't want to abandon the team they have followed their whole life, hell I get a membership out of guilt more then anything, but most important of all I know deep down its a good club, despite it's migrant creation one that puts football first and has a thirst for success and being the best. That's what got me returning to watch them every 2nd week in the old days. I'm not surprised the club is constantly kicking the door down to elevate itself, as it should, once you lose the appetite to better yourself you may as well give up, they won't and never will and good on them.

The reason I never went for victory was because I despised their attitude from the get go, the chairman they had at the time Geoff lord would constantly go on radio and ridicule clubs like south, tell people to change teams and follow his franchise, many did, but to me it was a cheap shot, they were a bunch of cvnts, supporters were arrogant, the more people told me to support MV the less likely I became to cross over,  despite the fact I was dying to follow a team in the top league I knew it would never be them.

i liked heart from the beginning because the club felt more humble, tried to be less controversial and was a genuine underdog, I also believe the fan base is superior in every way, for eg our supporters would never try and belt SM fans the way victorys did in the npl this year...that I am assured of. Now if people can't respect that I followed another team before hand that's tough luck, it's simply not possible that every one magically appeared between 2005-2010. That doesn't make me any less of a city fan now, but telling the people who support the club I've followed since I was about 12 to fuck off and get over it is not on, many of them do follow the a league but on a casual level, and to me that's no problem.

Fucking hell man! The similarities between our experiences and views are frighteningly scary. 

This post right here people is the truth.

Preach motherfucker preach!! We got to keep dropping knowledge and schooling the kids man.

You right here mr. @Geo400are my new man crush.

1 minute ago, Baka1 said:

I respect those that haven't moved on, I understand why. But supporting South with 300 people at Lakeside stadium isn't going to get them anywhere regarding aleague expansion. They should more so accept South won't be coming to the aleague, it just can't happen for a lot of reasons. Heart was bought and United a lot of the ex nsl fans that despised the Tards. But Heart shot itself in the foot with multiple shit (although memorable) years and put off a lot of potential ex nsl fans from becoming members unless they were very eager to support us simply because they hate Victory and everything about them. It'll be interesting to see what happens when we meet South in the NPL or FFA Cup, like what colours will supporters of both clubs wear etc but yeah I 100% agree there'll be no hostilities, maybe some banter here and there when Clarendon Corner call us a bunch of sellouts but it doesn't faze me. There's a lot more respect between the two clubs unlike South and Tards lol.. And MCF (Knights active) just fight everyone haha. Slowly slowly I think more and more ex nsl will jump on board us simply because of our future potential and their kids growing up wanting to support us as we'll probably be more recognised than the Tards in 15 years or so. Interesting times ahead 

Log out for the night pal.

Times change as does football. Australia has a new face with the aleague is all I'm trying to get at really. Nsl is over, they can't go back to that by bringing in South and whatnot, cause ya know why would they take them out in the first place then...

And you guys are here as City members also... Admit we've all basically sold out then. Cause if we were all 100% south till death we'd all be sitting at lakeside every week belting out fuck FFA fuck franchise fuck modern football. Laters

12 minutes ago, Baka1 said:

Times change as does football. Australia has a new face with the aleague is all I'm trying to get at really. Nsl is over, they can't go back to that by bringing in South and whatnot, cause ya know why would they take them out in the first place then...

And you guys are here as City members also... Admit we've all basically sold out then. Cause if we were all 100% south till death we'd all be sitting at lakeside every week belting out fuck FFA fuck franchise fuck modern football. Laters

Im a member of both clubs so how am I sell out? You don't have to be one of those types you described, some are and they can be very vocal but the majority aren't. I will never speak a bad word about the club.

the sell outs are the ones that pretended like they never followed them and invent these negative stories to try put them down. When in reality the only reason they ditched them is purely because they don't play in the top division anymore so they think by ridiculing the club it somehow justifies them..and they take this so far cheering oakleigh or bentleigh over them so they look like  have local cred, its pretty sad but funny at the same time because you hear  south fans bag Greeks more than anyone,  if I lived a suburb away still I wouldn't miss a south home game. Being a south fan doesn't meant chanting fuck modern football, and doesn't everyone hate the ffa these days regardless? Lol, they hate victory but who wouldn't after what they did to them? I've been to every derby in the past 6 years bar 1 but nothing in that time has made my blood boil than that night when those horda idiots invaded Souths pitch and ran across the field to try belt them, some who were known ex south fans. Those are the scumbags, not you, me and sheepdog.

as far as crowds go it's the same story every year in the npl, south will get a good crowd of about 3500-4000 for the first home game, and crowds will generally dip as the winter rolls in, and yes some games drop to as low as 300. But I did watch them play bulleen away last season and that game had 2,500 on a Monday night and a bulleen official told me it was their biggest crowd in a decade, so south does have the appeal, it's just impossible to get people coming back week after week for a league you can't get promoted out of.

south v city ffa cup game will be similar to Heidelberg v city ffa cup game, neither set of fans are trouble seekers, south and Knights active fans stand 10 meters from eachother these days and nothing happens, they will get a bit lippy with the refs and that's about it,. They have every right to hate victory though, to cross the field and jump into their grandstand to try belt them is disgusting, this is something south and city fans would simply never entertain the idea of. Victory fans also nailed a south player in the head with a flare when they played in a friendly many years ago.

i honestly feel we have better relations with the npl clubs, or at least amongst the old school die hards, we tend to say it as a retort to MV but they actually believe they are the only club in Melbourne, and they would say that long before we came along, as a south fan I say fuck you to MV, and as a city fan I say fuck you again to MV. 

• Like 1

Yeah true I see your point and I was at the South v Tards game this year and I'd never seen anything like it. My old man told me stories of Punchons and whatnot in the NSL between south Preston Heidelberg Knights. What those NT muppets did just made me hate them even more, and yeah it's 10x worse that some of them had fathers and grandfathers at that game decked in South gear, yet still chanted fuck south Melbourne etc. We do have the better relationship with Ethnic NPL clubs regardless

Edited by Baka1

15 hours ago, Baka1 said:

I never said merge the clubs.

The proposal was that the clubs would stay as they are and compete in the NPL Vic but would also each have a shareholding in a newly created club that would compete at A league level. The NPL clubs would then encourage their members to also join the jointly owned entity. 

It simply isn't going to happen. Whatever those of us connected with football might think - players, administrators, spectators, whoever - we continue to underestimated the opinion of the unconnected that there are unacceptable risks in going to a football match. Now that opinion might be justified by their experience, or it may be be simply based on hearsay and what they read or assume etc., but it is the perception that they have, and as far as they are concerned perception is reality. My wife and I are both Foundation Members of Heart and we've continued on with City. I've lost count of the comments that have been passed around in our circle of friends and acquaintances - they are amazed that I go let alone my wife. It's all the same old stuff - violence, flares, foul language, missiles being thrown, "I didn't realise you had wog friends" - all this sort of stuff. We were out last night, mentioned I'd been the previous night, only to get the same old line - "I see you're wearing your flares - ha-ha." Whether we like it or not, that is the perception.

I frequently bag FFA's management of the game, but they have rightly realised that it's a going to be a long hard road to turn around this perception of the game in Australia, and they are not going to do anything whatsoever that might reinforce that perception. So they are not going to let up on flares, and they are not going to bring overtly ethnic clubs into top level football. It just isn't going to happen. The growth will come from clubs based on geography and population, not ethnicity.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It simply isn't going to happen. Whatever those of us connected with football might think - players, administrators, spectators, whoever - we continue to underestimated the opinion of the unconnected that there are unacceptable risks in going to a football match. Now that opinion might be justified by their experience, or it may be be simply based on hearsay and what they read or assume etc., but it is the perception that they have, and as far as they are concerned perception is reality. My wife and I are both Foundation Members of Heart and we've continued on with City. I've lost count of the comments that have been passed around in our circle of friends and acquaintances - they are amazed that I go let alone my wife. It's all the same old stuff - violence, flares, foul language, missiles being thrown, "I didn't realise you had wog friends" - all this sort of stuff. We were out last night, mentioned I'd been the previous night, only to get the same old line - "I see you're wearing your flares - ha-ha." Whether we like it or not, that is the perception.

I frequently bag FFA's management of the game, but they have rightly realised that it's a going to be a long hard road to turn around this perception of the game in Australia, and they are not going to do anything whatsoever that might reinforce that perception. So they are not going to let up on flares, and they are not going to bring overtly ethnic clubs into top level football. It just isn't going to happen. The growth will come from clubs based on geography and population, not ethnicity.

The thing is we shouldn't be bowing down to bigots who are never going to accept the sport anyway.

how many generations have to pass before a migrant created club is deemed worthy enough to actually be considered Australian? In 15-20 years time the original migrant generation will be gone.

Eddie  McGuire often openly boasts about Collingwood being an catholic centric based club in its traditions and nobody bats an eye lid.

• Like 1

So far we have discussed a number of Australian options, a second nz team or perhaps an asian side but I'd like to throw something in out of left field.

How about a team from a region where there's a local population of nearly $1m and soccer is the second most popular sport?

Where am I talking about? Wollongong - no. Canberra - no. Gold Coast - no.

The answer is Fiji. 

According to wikipedia the population of Fiji is 909,389. It also says

"Association football[edit]

Association football was traditionally a minor sport in Fiji, popular largely amongst the Indo-Fijian community, but with international funding from FIFA and sound local management over the past decade, the sport has grown in popularity in the wider Fijian community. It is now the second most-popular sport in Fiji, after rugby (union 15's and union 7's) for men, and after netball for women.

The Fiji Football Association is a member of the Oceania Football Confederation. The national football team defeated New Zealand 2–0 in the 2008 OFC Nations Cup,[89] on their way to a joint-record third-place finish. However, they have never reached a FIFA World Cup to date. Fiji won the Pacific Games football tournament in 1991 and 2003. Fiji qualified for the 2016 Summer Olympics men's tournament for the first time in history."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiji#Association_football

One can see sponsorship fo a team by tourism authorities as a likely source of revenue and with a local A league team one could expect that soccer would soon become the number 1 sport in Fiji.

That potential support base is significantly higher than many of the regional Australian centres that have been suggested in thsi thread. Further there are many expatriate Fijians who could support the team when it is playing in Australia. And Fiji is closer to Brisbane than Perth is.

Here's taste of what a Fijian A league team could be like. The passion is certainly there. 

cheers Peter

Also here's ANZ stadium capacity 19,000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANZ_National_Stadium

5 hours ago, pberrett said:

So far we have discussed a number of Australian options, a second nz team or perhaps an asian side but I'd like to throw something in out of left field.

How about a team from a region where there's a local population of nearly $1m and soccer is the second most popular sport?

Where am I talking about? Wollongong - no. Canberra - no. Gold Coast - no.

The answer is Fiji. 

According to wikipedia the population of Fiji is 909,389. It also says

"Association football[edit]

Association football was traditionally a minor sport in Fiji, popular largely amongst the Indo-Fijian community, but with international funding from FIFA and sound local management over the past decade, the sport has grown in popularity in the wider Fijian community. It is now the second most-popular sport in Fiji, after rugby (union 15's and union 7's) for men, and after netball for women.

The Fiji Football Association is a member of the Oceania Football Confederation. The national football team defeated New Zealand 2–0 in the 2008 OFC Nations Cup,[89] on their way to a joint-record third-place finish. However, they have never reached a FIFA World Cup to date. Fiji won the Pacific Games football tournament in 1991 and 2003. Fiji qualified for the 2016 Summer Olympics men's tournament for the first time in history."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiji#Association_football

One can see sponsorship fo a team by tourism authorities as a likely source of revenue and with a local A league team one could expect that soccer would soon become the number 1 sport in Fiji.

That potential support base is significantly higher than many of the regional Australian centres that have been suggested in thsi thread. Further there are many expatriate Fijians who could support the team when it is playing in Australia. And Fiji is closer to Brisbane than Perth is.

Here's taste of what a Fijian A league team could be like. The passion is certainly there. 

cheers Peter

Also here's ANZ stadium capacity 19,000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANZ_National_Stadium

Given that neither FIFA nor the Asian Confederation are enamoured of Wellington Phoenix who belong in the Oceania Confederation, I don't think that your porposal will go anywhere.

FWIW I think that the Asian Confederation should be split in two with an East Asia Conf merging with the Oceania Conf, and the West Asia Conf come into its own. This would allow the growth of the game in both East Asia and Oceania. I would try and balance the number of member countries to be about even.

On 10/22/2016 at 1:06 PM, kingofhearts said:

You do a pretty poor job calling out "flogs" in all honesty.... you just end up looking silly most of the time but hey, whatever helps you sleep at night :up:

I'm not about fighting tho det, i'm about peace and love brother. Please accept a like and the changing of my profile picture 4 u.

I just wanna be friends <3 

EDIT: Out of likes ffs, when i get some more i owe you <3

You go to the effort of changing your DP to make a passive aggressive point.... and still your post gets zero likes.

KUTGW. :up:

NOTE: Also if you want friends join S16 or something.