Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

It may be victory, a victory supporter at work reckons they are looking into a big name signing, I then proceeded to ask him how the fuck they were going to pay for it haha

Isn't Berisha already locked in to the marquee spot for Victory (and isn't that why he left Brisbane in the first place)? I couldn't imagine Karagounis being on less coin than him.

It may be victory, a victory supporter at work reckons they are looking into a big name signing, I then proceeded to ask him how the fuck they were going to pay for it haha

Isn't Berisha already locked in to the marquee spot for Victory (and isn't that why he left Brisbane in the first place)? I couldn't imagine Karagounis being on less coin than him.

Hence why I asked him how they were paying for it

I'm guessing with us revitalising the Guest Player role with Villa, other teams will start to use it again. With the profile of the league increasing and the increasing competition to perform and put bums on seats why not use it.

It's also a great way for players looking to create a deal in Asia/USA to show what they can do in their off seasons. So I'd expect a few teams to have 2 marquees + a guest.

Isn't Berisha already locked in to the marquee spot for Victory (and isn't that why he left Brisbane in the first place)? I couldn't imagine Karagounis being on less coin than him. Hence why I asked him how they were paying for it

Could be mifsud

Isn't Berisha already locked in to the marquee spot for Victory (and isn't that why he left Brisbane in the first place)? I couldn't imagine Karagounis being on less coin than him. Hence why I asked him how they were paying for it

Could be mifsud

Would laugh if they signed Joey Barton and Riccardo Fuller, to join Berisha and Muscunt

Lots of young talent recruited off season, all we need is an attacking mid, striker and Lb to compliment the team. Can't wait to hear how we finalise our team. Get excited, this is already shaping up like the best line we've ever had so far...

• Like 1

Could be mifsud

Would laugh if they signed Joey Barton and Riccardo Fuller, to join Berisha and Muscunt

That would be a fierce team. Add roy keane and vinnie jones to the team

Lots of young talent recruited off season, all we need is an attacking mid, striker and Lb to compliment the team. Can't wait to hear how we finalise our team. Get excited, this is already shaping up like the best line we've ever had so far...

We're still a bit bear (once Lampard and Villa leave) will be interested to see who we sign as marquees and other players. Need to have depth.

Could be mifsud

That would be a fierce team. Add roy keane and vinnie jones to the team

Don't they have a "connection" to Liverpool? Suarez would fit well into Victory at the moment. Bite his way to the top! lol

We're still a bit bear (once Lampard and Villa leave) will be interested to see who we sign as marquees and other players. Need to have depth.

Blame the FFA and their nonsensical $2.5 million salary cap for us not being able to resign Engelaar.

It's insulting and it's demeaning that multi billionaire owners of a number of A League clubs, except for a few marquees,
must fit the rest of their entire squad into that pathetically low FFA mandated $2.5 million salary cap.

Edited by Parrot

Blame the FFA and their nonsensical $2.5 million salary cap for us not being able to resign Engelaar.

It's insulting and it's demeaning that multi billionaire owners of a number of A League clubs, except for a few marquees,

must fit the rest of their entire squad into that pathetically low FFA mandated $2.5 million salary cap.

Did you have the same views when we were running on fumes under Sidwell?

• Like 2

Eventually this will be raised

I like the salary cap, it separates clubs based on how well they're run as opposed to how much money they pump in - case in point, Central Coast Mariners and Sydney FC.

Obviously we're rich now but that doesn't automatically equate to success which I personally think is a good thing.

• Like 4

I like the salary cap, it separates clubs based on how well they're run as opposed to how much money they pump in - case in point, Central Coast Mariners and Sydney FC.

Obviously we're rich now but that doesn't automatically equate to success which I personally think is a good thing.

Personally I think the cap should be incrementally raised. I also think now is the time to implement transfer fees between A-league clubs (albeit with a cap). You don't want to dramatically raise caps etc as it will cause a market shock to occur

• Like 1

Well, in fairness, most A-League clubs are losing money. Of course, a bit more star power might put more bums on seats, but we're obviously in a good position to be able to keep our international players, being in Melbourne. Might not be as easy for a club like Newcastle.

If we want a sustainable comp, a salary cap is a must.

Theres no point having a few top clubs and yet all the others risk collapsing each year. We've already seen that in the NSL days, so I think some conservatism in spending is a good move.

With 3 marquee spots available (International, Australian and Youth), theres plenty of room for clubs to invest above the cap as it is, and yet most can't afford it.