Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

Was only trying to differentiate between the ManC City and Melbourne City. What a sensitive little nest of possums you are.

On Richard Porta...I guess almost nobody on here has seen him play. His name comes up probably because he plays or has played in the top division of a pretty good footballing nation in Uruguay. But he doesn't seem to have played a lot of football recently.

Not that he'd be Marquee but would Aston Villa's Chris Herd be a good fit for MelC?

Can we please not use MelC? - we are not a Spice Girl

Got to admit that that was the first thing I thought of when I saw it too. FWIW I've been trying to avoid use of the term "City" to refer to the Manchester club so that you guys had the option of using it yourself for Melbourne without any confusion.

Have there actually been any new rumours in the last fortnight, conjecture aside. I've been waiting for an actual story to get my teeth into, but I guess the world has gone into shutdown now the WC is on.

Mexico's goalkeeper, Guillermo Ochoa, was outstanding today against Brasil.  With his former club, AC Ajaccio (n France) relegated he is a free agent.

We need a goalie, could be worth a look and he has been linked to Manchester City through the press

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2014/who-guillermo-ochoa-6-things-3713290

• Like 1

Mexico's goalkeeper, Guillermo Ochoa, was outstanding today against Brasil.  With his former club, AC Ajaccio (n France) relegated he is a free agent.

We need a goalie, could be worth a look and he has been linked to Manchester City through the press

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2014/who-guillermo-ochoa-6-things-3713290

Arsenal and Liverpool are both chasing him.

Is there or was there ever a rule that the goalkeeper needs to be Australian?

No, and no.

How I thought that was the case I have no idea :wacko:

Purely because we have always produced quality GK's, there is no need to use one of the foreign spots on a GK position. I don't think there has been a VISA GK in the A-League??

Is there or was there ever a rule that the goalkeeper needs to be Australian?

No, and no.

How I thought that was the case I have no idea :wacko:

Purely because we have always produced quality GK's, there is no need to use one of the foreign spots on a GK position. I don't think there has been a VISA GK in the A-League??

Tony Warner born in England and had been capped for Trinidad and Tobago played for the Nix a couple of years back. Had played for Liverpool I think.

Passing mention in this Davutovic article stating that the club is still looking at Kennedy:

Socceroos Tim Cahill and co have grand designs on life after football

DAVID DAVUTOVIC IN PORTO ALEGRE

JUNE 18, 2014 10:00PM

[...]

Josh Kennedy, who was ruled out of the World Cup with a back injury, is studying a business degree while he contemplates what the future holds.

Kennedy, who is being courted by Melbourne City, said he had something to offer future generations.

“I’m studying via correspondence, I’ve got years to go, but that (business) is always interesting, I’ve thought about coaching as well _ my wife thinks I’ll be a good coach,’’ Kennedy said.

“A few things have gone through my mind, even agency. But I’ve still got a few years left.

“I’d love to be part of an A-League team (post football), hopefully playing 20 years of soccer by the time I retire doesn’t go to waste.

“I’d love to help bring juniors through and develop them and make sure they’re headed in the right direction, because a lot of them head in the wrong direction.”

[...]

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/football/socceroos-tim-cahill-and-co-have-grand-designs-on-life-after-football/story-fnkjbhuy-1226959001988?from=public_rss

So my theory is this, regarding the international Marquee, I believe our Marquee is a part of a squad currently playing in the world cup at the moment and therefor the club can't release who it is until the World Cup is over. I still believe we are in a strong spot to obtain Lampard however is there any realistic sneaky outsiders that people have in mind (for instance I'm hoping Drogba)

Or, the idea of playing in the a league for a big name marquee is just not that appealing no matter how much oil money you throw at a player and in this regard the chaps are stumped on who we are going to have selling our new image!