Melbourne Football

Our Marquee Man...

heart_fan10

I'd take Luca Toni for two seasons if he could fit under the salary cap. That dude was a beast in Serie A this year. Contract is up next month

Definitely, and I doubt he would be on much at Verona - but there's a problem.

Would he leave Serie A after scoring 20 goals last season?

I'd take Luca Toni for two seasons if he could fit under the salary cap. That dude was a beast in Serie A this year. Contract is up next month

Would he leave Serie A after scoring 20 goals last season? why would villa leave atletico? If we got Toni he'd have to be a marquee which I'd be fine with.

Edited by Tbitm

Would he leave Serie A after scoring 20 goals last season? why would villa leave atletico? If we got Toni he'd have to be a marquee which I'd be fine with.

I see what you're saying - Villa obviously played in the UCL final, but in terms of goals he finished in 17th place in La Liga. 

Luca Toni finished 2nd in Serie A, so he might feel he has more to give still....

I don't think he would have to come as marquee. I doubt Verona pay him very much. But he wouldn't be cheap.

The dude has got at least two seasons.left in him too.

The only question is whether he would be interested.

Damien Duff to join Melbourne City after World Cup following end to Fulham career

• Damien Duff will move to the A-League this summer
  • The 35-year-old left Fulham after five seasons at Craven Cottage
  • Duff will be first major signing for newly-formed Melbourne City
  • Former Ireland international was linked with a move to Bray Wanderers

By COLIN YOUNG 

PUBLISHED: 09:00 AEST, 2 June 2014 UPDATED: 09:01 AEST, 2 June 2014

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

View 

comments

Former Republic of Ireland winger Damien Duff is poised to move to Australia and become the first major signing for the club bought by Manchester City’s owners.

The 35-year-old, who announced his decision to quit relegated Fulham this week, will join the A-League after the World Cup Finals.

He will become the first major signing for the newly-formed Melbourne City, who are hoping to change their name from Melbourne Heart in time for next season. 

City’s Abu Dhabi-based owners, who have also purchased sides in New York and Japan since acquiring Manchester City six years ago, are hoping to build a competitive side Down Under. Heart are currently bottom of the A-League.

article-2645590-18BD4C8D000005DC-597_634

+2

Heading down under: Damien Duff will become the first major signing for Melbourne City

Duff, capped 100 times by Ireland, had been linked with a return to his home country and a role with Bray Wanderers in the SSE Airtricity League. But he has turned his back on a potential return to the Premier League or any moves to clubs in Europe, or even a drop to the Championship with Fulham, to move Down Under.

Duff will take a summer break with his family before moving to Melbourne for the second part of their season. He has had his pick of A-League sides, including Heart’s city rivals Melbourne Victory, Sydney FC and Perth Glory. City’s backers are prepared to match Duff’s wage demands.

His decision to quit Europe for a lucrative move to Australia will still come as a surprise, even though he made just 11 league appearances last season.

article-2645590-14B00C8B000005DC-429_634

+2

New chapter: The 35-year-old brought an end to his five-year spell at Fulham and will head to the A-League

Former Chelsea and Newcastle midfielder Duff left Craven Cottage after five years and nearly 200 games, following their relegation from the Premier League, and was looking for a new challenge.

‘It was time for everyone, for me and the club to part ways,’ he said. ‘It’s sad but that’s the way it is.

‘I’ve matured as a person and a player at Fulham. 

‘Since I’ve been here I’ve got married, had two kids, so it has been a special time in my life and I stand by what I’ve said before that my most enjoyable time in football has been at Fulham.’ 

But Duff, who is signing an initial two-year deal, will be by far the biggest foreign star Melbourne has attracted since the A-League was founded 10 years ago.

Former Liverpool midfielder Harry Kewell is currently playing for the club, who are managed by Dutch coach John van’t Schip

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2645590/Damien-Duff-join-Melbourne-City-World-Cup.html#ixzz33QytAdpZ 

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Damien Duff to join Melbourne City after World Cup following end to Fulham career

• Damien Duff will move to the A-League this summer
  • The 35-year-old left Fulham after five seasons at Craven Cottage
  • Duff will be first major signing for newly-formed Melbourne City
  • Former Ireland international was linked with a move to Bray Wanderers

By COLIN YOUNG

PUBLISHED: 09:00 AEST, 2 June 2014 UPDATED: 09:01 AEST, 2 June 2014

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

View 

comments

Former Republic of Ireland winger Damien Duff is poised to move to Australia and become the first major signing for the club bought by Manchester City’s owners.

The 35-year-old, who announced his decision to quit relegated Fulham this week, will join the A-League after the World Cup Finals.

He will become the first major signing for the newly-formed Melbourne City, who are hoping to change their name from Melbourne Heart in time for next season. 

City’s Abu Dhabi-based owners, who have also purchased sides in New York and Japan since acquiring Manchester City six years ago, are hoping to build a competitive side Down Under. Heart are currently bottom of the A-League.

article-2645590-18BD4C8D000005DC-597_634

+2

Heading down under: Damien Duff will become the first major signing for Melbourne City

Duff, capped 100 times by Ireland, had been linked with a return to his home country and a role with Bray Wanderers in the SSE Airtricity League. But he has turned his back on a potential return to the Premier League or any moves to clubs in Europe, or even a drop to the Championship with Fulham, to move Down Under.

Duff will take a summer break with his family before moving to Melbourne for the second part of their season. He has had his pick of A-League sides, including Heart’s city rivals Melbourne Victory, Sydney FC and Perth Glory. City’s backers are prepared to match Duff’s wage demands.

His decision to quit Europe for a lucrative move to Australia will still come as a surprise, even though he made just 11 league appearances last season.

article-2645590-14B00C8B000005DC-429_634

+2

New chapter: The 35-year-old brought an end to his five-year spell at Fulham and will head to the A-League

Former Chelsea and Newcastle midfielder Duff left Craven Cottage after five years and nearly 200 games, following their relegation from the Premier League, and was looking for a new challenge.

‘It was time for everyone, for me and the club to part ways,’ he said. ‘It’s sad but that’s the way it is.

‘I’ve matured as a person and a player at Fulham. 

‘Since I’ve been here I’ve got married, had two kids, so it has been a special time in my life and I stand by what I’ve said before that my most enjoyable time in football has been at Fulham.’ 

But Duff, who is signing an initial two-year deal, will be by far the biggest foreign star Melbourne has attracted since the A-League was founded 10 years ago.

Former Liverpool midfielder Harry Kewell is currently playing for the club, who are managed by Dutch coach John van’t Schip

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2645590/Damien-Duff-join-Melbourne-City-World-Cup.html#ixzz33QytAdpZ 

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

There's a few odd things in this article.

Duff will take a summer break with his family before moving to Melbourne for the second part of their season. So he's only playing half a season?

Former Liverpool midfielder Harry Kewell is currently playing for the club  Not anymore

It also doesn't say whether he is the marque - I'd be quite disappointed if he was. A 35 year old playing half a season. If he's under the cap and can keep fit and injury free given he will be 37 by the time 2 years is up

http://www.irishecho.com.au/2014/04/17/is-damien-duff-heading-down-under/31452

Is Damien Duff heading down under? Posted on 17 April 2014 at 2:22 pm by Billy Cantwell 
Tags: Damien DuffIrish players in the A-League
damien.duff_.jpg

Damien Duff has looked into playing in Australia next year.

Former Irish international Damien Duff has declared that he has looked at Australia as a possible destination to play football for the next two years.

Duff will end his five-year association with Fulham in June, with the winger contemplating a move to either Australia or the United States before returning home to Ireland.

Duff would be a marquee signing for an A-League club and the talented winger would put Irish bums on seats, particularly in the high concentration enclaves of Sydney, Melbourne or Perth.

After spells with Blackburn, Chelsea and Newcastle, the 35-year-old moved to Craven Cottage in August 2009 and that season helped the Whites to the Europa League final.

Duff has made 173 appearances in all for the west Londoners, although February’s appearance off the bench in the FA Cup fourth-round exit to Sheffield United looks to have been his last for the club.

A knee injury has brought this campaign to a premature end and, once recovered from surgery, he is planning to move in search of “something new” at the end of his contract.

“I’m up at the end of the season,” Duff told the Irish Times. “The club haven’t spoken to me and I haven’t spoken to the club but we don’t need to speak: I’ll be leaving Fulham. I’ve had a great time here but that’s football.

“I’ve had a few whispers from here and there but I’m just trying to get this [injury] right first.

“I’ve looked at the Australia or America thing for a bit, it would be a different way of life, a different league; I think life’s too short just to be stuck in the rat race, if that’s the right phrase, over here so I’d maybe like to taste something new before I go back home.”

Duff would like to do a “year or two elsewhere” before plying his trade in the League of Ireland, with the winger admitting former Republic of Ireland team-mate Robbie Keane, now of LA Galaxy, has suggested a move to Major League Soccer.

“We’ve had a bit of banter all right,” he said.

“He obviously loves it and every six months I see he’s signed a new deal so he’ll be there for a good while yet.

“We’ll see what happens but I wouldn’t mind trying it to be fair but I have to get back fit first, I’ve got a screw in my knee now and a screw in the knee of a jinky winger doesn’t really go hand in hand but we’ll see what happens.

“We’d be up for it and we’d like to see the world but it wouldn’t be for a jolly up. I’m still as hungry as ever.”

Former Irish team-mate Liam Miller is enjoying life in the A-League with the Brisbane Roar after two years with Perth Glory.

Miller’s Roar are this year’s Minor Premiers and are just one win away from the A-League Grand Final.

Duff is a class player. Has an eye for goal and a killer pass massive improvement on iain ramsay on the left. Could also see him playing as a no. 10 as he likes to come in the middle of the pitch. Would prefer for him not to be on marquee wages as we could likely do much better but tbh wouldnt be too upset if he did get the marquee spot. A class player and would likely bang in a handful of goals as well as being a very creative outlet.

He is worthy of a marquee spot for most clubs in the a-league. Quick, creative, great pass completion. I just feel we have the coin to find someone a bit younger and more fresh. Not someone looking to wind down their career in a lesser league.

I would be fine with him as marquee, but only if the other visa spots were good and cahill as aus marquee.

Happy to see a solid rumour come through though. Engelaar, mooy and duff in midfield would have looked pretty good. Still a bit bummed we had no wage room for Engelaar.

Of course we can't expect a massive name like Villa or Lampard, etc but IMO Engelaar would have been better kept as the marque. Engelaar has proven what he can do, I'm suspect about a bloke whose 35 and only played a handful of games last season in a relegated team.

Maybe the clue is 'he will join half way through the season' if they're only paying him for half a season I would think that could go under the cap

• Like 2