Melbourne Football

Round 21, Friday February 15 MHFC vs Newcastle @ Hunter Stadium

Dylan

Ugh, an away game.

Fucking nervous.

If we win this game ill be wrapped, we need to beat the teams around us since the league has split in two. Id like us to start consolidating 5th spot, perhaps even sneaking to 4th if Adelaide continues its decline.

Edited by Dylan

I'm not saying that we are going to win but the team will be functioning a lot better coming off a win like that and if we manage to be clinical I don't see why we can't come away with three points here, it's not going to be easy, Heskey will be a handful but if Mehbrahtu is brought on earlier his pace will be more than overwhelming for the Jets defence

The papers are reporting that Fred and Colosimo are a chance for this match. However, M. Lynch reported that even if they are good to go, they would take a bench spot, at best.

If M. Lynch is correct, this is promising for Kalmar and Vrankovic.

I would 100% support Kalmar and Vrankovic to replace fred and colisimo. I think it would improve our side rather than hinder

I reckon Kalmar and Vrankovic's starting spot is going to come down to how they play against the Jets, if they perform like they did away I don't see how Aloisi could find a reason to replace them

there is something very wrong if Fred and Colisimo come straight back into the team. But then again, people also get left out and put in solely because of match ups

I reckon Kalmar and Vrankovic's starting spot is going to come down to how they play against the Jets, if they perform like they did away I don't see how Aloisi could find a reason to replace them

there is something very wrong if Fred and Colisimo come straight back into the team. But then again, people also get left out and put in solely because of match ups

It would be very wrong, but its JA :\

Surely JA wouldnt start Fred over Kalmar, that would just be a kick in the teeth to Kalmar after such an impressive game. Although Vrankovic has been solid the last two weeks, he hasnt been outstanding and I could see him easily been replaced by Colisimo. Thinking that may the only change to the starting 11 this week.

• Like 1

Colosimo did quite nicely against Heskey last time, but give David V his due, he's taken his opportunity.

You are spot on Huzie - this is a selection conundrum. Gerhardt and Colossimo slaughtered Heskey down here last time - he didn't get a sniff. And yet we look so much more polished playing out from the back with Colossimo out. Smeltz did look incredibly dangerous in the air and, fortunately for us, he is so out of form. Whilst I'm really keen for the promotion of youth and looking to the future, I could excuse JA if he played Colossimo. I'm honestly glad I don't have to make the call.

• Like 1

Anyone know the pub in Newcastle for those Heart fans making the trip?

Doesn't look like many of us are going. Have only heard from 5 so far.

But PM me your number and for anyone else making the trip & I'll try and work out a pub for us to drink at on the day.

Edited by FB.

The papers are reporting that Fred and Colosimo are a chance for this match. However, M. Lynch reported that even if they are good to go, they would take a bench spot, at best.

If M. Lynch is correct, this is promising for Kalmar and Vrankovic.

Why would JA replace a well functioning defence for someone that hoofs the ball long and gives away silly balls/penalities/free kicks in the danger zone. Take a seat in the stands Simon, not the bench!

The Stag and Hunter was pretty good last time we went there, not sure what the quality of it is like now. That was in 2011.

Too bad everyone else in Newcastle is a Bogan or scum! They even train their kids to be little a$sh0les from the age of 7! lol

I went with my missus in last season's opener to Newcastle since it fell on my birthday and the reception we got as 'outsiders' was disgraceful...promised to never go back to Newcastle!

I'd almost partner Colosimo and Vrankovic at the back and push Gerhardt into midfield and drop Thommo to the bench for his versatility coming on. Maybe too much of a shake up for such an important game, especially coming off a good performance on the weekend.

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1

I'd almost partner Colosimo and Vrankovic at the back and push Gerhardt into midfield and drop Thommo to the bench for his versatility coming on. Maybe too much of a shake up for such an important game, especially coming off a good performance on the weekend.

Both Colosimo and Vranks are smaller Center Halves (Under 6 foot) and therefore IMO really should not be paired together, esp when the opposition side has a Center Forward like Heskey roaming around.

Gerhardt after a shakey start has been revelation at CB...

I agree he could also be great at DM as well but I think its not worth the risk of moving him there this Season, as its great to have stability with your Central Defenders. (His Height is also a invaluable asset back there ATM.)

I reckon we'll win this one, it'll be about time, we have to learn how to win away with an interstate final looking like it's on the cards. I don't understand why we haven't been able to, for memory we were better away than home last season?

Both Colosimo and Vranks are smaller Center Halves (Under 6 foot) and therefore IMO really should not be paired together, esp when the opposition side has a Center Forward like Heskey roaming around.

Gerhardt after a shakey start has been revelation at CB...

I agree he could also be great at DM as well but I think its not worth the risk of moving him there this Season, as its great to have stability with your Central Defenders. (His Height is also a invaluable asset back there ATM.)

Based on Wikipedia (not the most reliable of sources) Gerhardt is only 1cm taller than Colosimo (1.84m vs 1.83m) - both 6'0"

Vrankovic is 1.81m - 5'11"

Not disagreeing that stability with Gerhardt in defence is important, just don't think the height argument cuts it.

Why change a winning team?

Certainly Kalmar must stay. A bloke can't be left out after being MOM.

Colosimo is a difficult one. Vrankovic and Walker were under a lot of pressure from Perth, who IMO deliberately attacked down their LW to try and break the two young lads. There were some scary moments, but they hung on. My issue with Colosimo is that he is the prime suspect in this negative defensive play that we have seen so much of this season, play that we now know is against the express instructions of JA. The contrast once Colosimo is not in the team is stark, as shown against Perth.

One other comment. Every game is a six-point game, not just the few games at the end of the season.

Meeuwis will surely play some role. Probably on the bench, but will start if he trains well and shows he's in reasonable nick. Presume he'd come in for Germano.

Another thing is that Garcia is wasted on the wing- he ain't no winger, thats for sure. I'd bring him into midfield for Thommo and replace him on the wing with Mebrahtu who surely must be good to gol now. If Mebrahtu is not ready bring back Garuccio.

I'd start Colosimo if fit, no question. Probably use Fred off the bench if fit - wise move given his injury history.

Anyway I might be an eternal optimist, but with the above line up I can see 3 points coming up for this one!