Melbourne Football

Victorian NPL & State Leagues

Ando

Again. Disagree

So on one hand you complain about poor attendance for Heart matches, then here you say you're content with the performance of the FFA?

If both Melbourne teams were introduced from the beginning there would be a strong fan base backing each respective team. It would divide the city, resulting in far more interest across the state. There is a reason a lot of teams struggle to attract a crowd. It all goes back to the source of the problem, namely the FFA.

Edited by MKD

If both Melbourne teams were introduced from the beginning there would be a strong fan base backing each respective team. It would divide the city, resulting in far more interest across the state.

You don't know that. That's completely hypothetical and is a lot easier to say in hindsight. Without trying to sound like a closet Victory fan, having a very strong team in Melbourne has been great for the league whether we'd like to admit it or not. Who knows where the A-league would be if we had two mediocre teams in the city. The "Big Blue" may never of developed, which was the big draw card of the league for quite some time. The A-League may not of attracted anywhere near the sponsorships or the interest it has without Victory and Sydney being allowed to be big clubs.

Also if you remember back to when the League began there was a lot of concern about if Victory alone would be sustainable. Putting another team in Melbourne would of been considered suicide at the time.

Victory being big is not the only reason why we are small. The reasons why we're small have been covered in great detail in a number of threads. I don't hold the FFA responsible. What's the point in bitching about it now anyway? It's not going to change anything that's happened and it won't raise our attendances. We're here now and we're not that far off being sustainable. There is plenty of Melbourne and Victoria left for us, all we need is a spell of good form, a few good decisions from Munn and co. and a solid TV deal and we'll be up and about.

Edited by Jimmy

You don't know that. That's completely hypothetical and is a lot easier to say in hindsight. Without trying to sound like a closet Victory fan, having a very strong team in Melbourne has been great for the league whether we'd like to admit it or not. Who knows where the A-league would be if we had two mediocre teams in the city. The "Big Blue" may never of developed, which was the big draw card of the league for quite some time. The A-League may not of attracted anywhere near the sponsorships or the interest it has without Victory and Sydney being allowed to be big clubs.

Also if you remember back to when the League began there was a lot of concern about if Victory alone would be sustainable. Putting another team in Melbourne would of been considered suicide at the time.

Victory being big is not the only reason why we are small. The reasons why we're small have been covered in great detail in a number of threads. I don't hold the FFA responsible. What's the point in bitching about it now anyway? It's not going to change anything that's happened and it won't raise our attendances. We're here now and we're not that far off being sustainable. There is plenty of Melbourne and Victoria left for us, all we need is a spell of good form, a few good decisions from Munn and co. and a solid TV deal and we'll be up and about.

Shut up

You do raise some valid points Jimmy. I agree, its not entirely the FFA's fault, but if they had given us an equivalent amount of money that they spent on Victory (their licence fee, all the cash pumped into promotion of the game during the first few seasons) then we may have a bit more of a solid foundation to work on.

You are right though, its all in the past. We need to work with what we have. The board knew that we would not be propped up by FFA money when we came in, so it was up to them to come up with a plan to work within these limitations. Only time will tell if we will become successful.

And when/if we do become successful, we can be proud knowing that we built this club ourselves without any handouts what so ever. A true football club.

Edited by KSK_47

It may be hypothetical, but it seems rather obvious doesn't it? In a city with 4million+ people, a team in the national soccer league should not be struggling to pull 5k+ at all home games (Victory the exception). Similarly,your statement of the 'would be future' is also completely hypothetical. There is no reason why there can't be two big clubs in Melbourne. But to introduce one from the beginning, and then a second down the track was wrong. Fans want to have a choice, and had both teams been introduced from the start, they'd be evenly split. I'd rather have half a dozen strong clubs than two powerhouses and 8 small-medium clubs. It makes long-term success far more difficult and less sustainable.

There is still plenty of opportunity for the Heart to grow, but it will take time. The FFA can't be blamed for everything, but they are a key reason why soccer still struggles in this nation.

http://www.theage.co...1113-29971.html

Bit more on the VPL GF incident, pretty harsh penalty for the club. Will suck if the club dies because of this. Fine the individual/individuals IMO.

The club wont give up the indivduals even though they know who they are... that is half the problem.

(Not that I dont understand their viewpoint.)

Lol, the person who did it must feel like such an idiot right now. I'm surprised no charges were laid against the individuals directly. I would've thought for incidents like these where someone is hurt, the perpetrator would be liable as well.

Would be disappointing to see the club fold over something like this. Surely the FFV knew that the club would struggle with such a sanction. As they say, the individual is not bigger than the club. Everyone shouldn't have to suffer over the actions of a few dickheads.

Lol, the person who did it must feel like such an idiot right now. I'm surprised no charges were laid against the individuals directly. I would've thought for incidents like these where someone is hurt, the perpetrator would be liable as well.

Would be disappointing to see the club fold over something like this. Surely the FFV knew that the club would struggle with such a sanction. As they say, the individual is not bigger than the club. Everyone shouldn't have to suffer over the actions of a few dickheads.

VPL attendances could be having a real shocker next year:

No Dandy

And no Greek Derbies either with Bergers relegated.

• 2 months later...

Bit of movement starting to occur amongst the State Leagues:

Apparently Green Gully are spending some decent money to chase back the Title they (Finally) lost, Osagie Ederaro may even be on his way out after being last season's prize recruit after they stole him from Heildelberg.

Port Melbourne after having to wait an extra season on coming back to the VPL (They threw away the 2011 SL1 Title on the last day) are taking no chances and recruiting strongly to stay up. Apparently Sarkies has left Alexander to join the Sharks.

South have picked up a few players from QLD - Make of that what you will...

Edited by cadete

Apparently Green Gully are spending some decent money to chase back the Title they (Finally) lost, Osagie Ederaro may even be on his way out after being last season's prize recruit after they stole him from Heildelberg.

Port Melbourne after having to wait an extra season on coming back to the VPL (They threw away the 2011 SL1 Title on the last day) are taking no chances and recruiting strongly to stay up. Apparently Sarkies has left Alexander to join the Sharks.

Feel free to make a 2013 thread!!

Post in here all news to do with local state leagues and VPL news.

Know that South have signed a couple of players from Queensland in Tyson Holmes (Trialed with Adelaide United) and Rhys Meredith (Trialed with the FFA NRMA WSW) as well as bringing back Carl Recchia from Whittlesea and Alan Kearney who played with Southern Stars last year.

Think Port Melbourne will be a smoky for finals this year and the same teams will be up in contention again, should be an interesting season.

Feel free to make a 2013 thread!!

Strong Tap In - KUTGW!

• 2 weeks later...

Help me out knowledgeable folk of this thread. I want to get more into this, get behind a side etc. Only problem is I have no idea about any of the clubs.

What club generally has the best/most friendly fan culture? And if anybody is willing to pitch in any time, can I have a rundown of who the better players are going around in the league.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Help me out knowledgeable folk of this thread. I want to get more into this, get behind a side etc. Only problem is I have no idea about any of the clubs.

What club generally has the best/most friendly fan culture? And if anybody is willing to pitch in any time, can I have a rundown of who the better players are going around in the league.

Cheers.

I think you'll find that most clubs would be somewhat welcoming. All VPL and state league teams need all the support they can get, so they aren't necessarily going to turn you down.

IMO your best bet is to find a club that is representative of your particular ethnic background, since most teams are based on such. That may be a challenge if you're not Greek, since half the teams in the VPL this season have some kind of Greek association.

In terms of the VPL this is pretty much the ethnic breakdown of the league. This isn't designed to put you off if none of the teams are a match. Your location may be a more appropriate factor when choosing a side.

Greek Clubs: South Melbourne, Port Melbourne, Northcote City, Oakleigh, Bentleigh

Croatian: Melbourne Knights

Macedonian: Pascoe Vale

Turkish: Hume City, Southern Stars

Albanian: Dandenong

Green Gully: Maltese

Richmond: German

Cheers.

I think you'll find that most clubs would be somewhat welcoming. All VPL and state league teams need all the support they can get, so they aren't necessarily going to turn you down.

IMO your best bet is to find a club that is representative of your particular ethnic background, since most teams are based on such. That may be a challenge if you're not Greek, since half the teams in the VPL this season have some kind of Greek association.

In terms of the VPL this is pretty much the ethnic breakdown of the league. This isn't designed to put you off if none of the teams are a match. Your location may be a more appropriate factor when choosing a side.

Greek Clubs: South Melbourne, Port Melbourne, Northcote City, Oakleigh, Bentleigh

Thanks a heap mate.

Unfortunately I'm about the least "ethnic" person in the country, so no favours there. And I live a fair way out of Melbourne, so I have no geographical preference.

I have researched a little bit, and I'm thinking Richmond. Thoughts?

Cheers.

Thanks a heap mate.

Unfortunately I'm about the least "ethnic" person in the country, so no favours there. And I live a fair way out of Melbourne, so I have no geographical preference.

I have researched a little bit, and I'm thinking Richmond. Thoughts?

No worries.

As bzamora said, Richmond are a good choice. I don't know much about them a part from playing against them as a junior, but they'd be an interesting side to follow. This is just a guess, but I reckon they'd have a mix of nationalities supporting them, so you'd probably feel more comfortable with that. Very accessible area too, near the city.

Yeh, If you're looking for larger crowds/atmosphere then South Melbourne, Dandenong and possibly Melbourne Knights would interest you. Don't take my word for it though, I haven't been to VPL matches for a while. My team is in state league 2 atm unfortunately.

Again, cheers everyone.

Richmond seem to be the easiest to get to, plus I see Taseski has signed on there, so they sound like the team for me. Also read that they're a young side which i like.

Crowd size doesn't faze me, it is more about the quality if the supporters to be honest. That's why we follow the Heart and not Victory ;)

The closest team to me is Ballarat in state league 2, but there are a heap of flogs.

dRoy, sorry pal but Dandenong may as well be on the other side if the world.