Melbourne Football

Victorian NPL & State Leagues

Ando

Bentleigh Greens also 'Not likely'

http://www.mfootball.com.au/bentleigh-not-likely-not-be-a-part-of-npl/

Again due to council lease issues of grounds as well as believing their system is better than the NPL

The article is quite poorly written so I may be misunderstanding, but what I got from it is that certain councils, obviously Briumbank as its mentioned but its implied that others are in the same boat, have some sort of rule that they won't let clubs in "elite" competition use land for free, and because this new league is being touted as an "elite" competition, clubs will be forced to lose their land if they join?

That's the general impression I've been left with is that the new competition takes away the 'community' aspect of the clubs due and therefore they forfeit their lease rights or something along those lines. Will be interesting to see what other VPL teams are not going to NPL.

Too be honest the FFV could see this as a win and just setup a number of Brand New Regional Clubs like the did for the juniors who play in Summer.

The FFV Wont fall Flat, If these VPL clubs dont want to play at the top level anymore then that is there choice. 

There are plenty of State Clubs Happy to step up and take there place. 

This opportunity doesnt come along to often to allow other clubs to move straight to the top

The Big picture is there is currently no good development path for up and coming stars, the new plan will allow this to happen.

Its not even a FFV Directive, this has come from FFA.

These clubs have provided great talent in the past and still do so under difficult circustances these days. If the top brass at the FFV think they can do it better they will fall flat on their faces. They have no idea how to run their offices let alone a club. They tried it with the VCL summer leagues and what have they learned. Absolutley nothing. Yet they continue to forge ahead with something all clubs are wary off and many won't have a bar of it. It's going to be a great league without clubs who have stood the test of time.

Edited by George Cross

I'd love to see a list, know if there's one floating around cadete?

There is a thread on Soccer Forum here:

(You will prob need to create an account with a proper email)

http://www.soccer-forum.net/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=44697&start=25

However its mainly PPL throwing up names - But I think we can be certain that us and the Mongs will have sides involved.

Cheers mate, I was over there but somehow missed the thread. Interesting to see how many regional teams get thrown into the mix, its a requirement to have at least one in the NPL, right?

Yeah, there will be a kind of TAC Cup element to the league with all regions being covered so Soccer receives a better state-wide coverage.

This is also one of the major problems between the VPL clubs and the FFV because the FFV has to now incorporate the whole state in its top league it means some of the Melbourne clubs will miss out. The NSWPL has not really had this problem as they have a separate league based out of Newcastle covering the North of NSW.

It’s all too do with the old/current system being well known for making the proper scouting players for the next level a lot harder than the setups that what AFL and League have in place.

Cheers mate, I was over there but somehow missed the thread. Interesting to see how many regional teams get thrown into the mix, its a requirement to have at least one in the NPL, right?

Yeah, there will be a kind of TAC Cup element to the league with all regions being covered so Soccer receives a better state-wide coverage.

This is also one of the major problems between the VPL clubs and the FFV because the FFV has to now incorporate the whole state in its top league it means some of the Melbourne clubs will miss out. The NSWPL has not really had this problem as they have a separate league based out of Newcastle covering the North of NSW.

It’s all too do with the old/current system being well known for making the proper scouting players for the next level a lot harder than the setups that what AFL and League have in place.

More on this mate, I can understand why a lot of teams yell and scream about this, but surely football as a whole (both Victoria and Australia wide) gets better, a lot of quality players slipped through the cracks, surely this should eliminate this a bit?

More on this mate, I can understand why a lot of teams yell and scream about this, but surely football as a whole (both Victoria and Australia wide) gets better, a lot of quality players slipped through the cracks, surely this should eliminate this a bit?

I dont think even the most one eyed VPL fan could really disagree with such a statement:

1. The Veterans will largely be removed from the top levels.

2. The Kids will be playing almost all year around and against more players.

3. Players from all over the country will be playing against NYL teams - Allowing for greater assesment of players in and out the the NYL squads.

The big problem is though who is going to pay for all of this - Because these regional clubs cannot reley on the VPL supporters who have bleed their wallets dry helping clubs they have spent a lifetime following clubs so dear to their hearts.

Altona Magic have announced it wont be applying either

Here's the press release:

30th, May, 2013

Club Press Release

Altona Magic show no interest to NPLV plans for 2014

Earlier this week, the board have ultimately scrapped the idea of submitting an expression of interest to the FFV in the closing days of the application process. The club took into consideration many points before making the final decision. Although the newly branded ‘elite framework’ proposed by the FFV may seem like a great idea, our club does not feel the need for a sudden push for something where many things remain unsaid, or in the grey.

The lack of information coming to the club (from the governing bodies) regarding the new idea for the National Premier League of Victoria (NPLV) was insufficient , it lacked vision and did not tie in with where our club would like to see itself in the future.

Our club has always represented the local Hobsons Bay football community with juniors, with many players coming from Hobsons Bay and its surrounding suburbs. The push for higher fees from the governing bodies of football in the country are simply eliminating those who want to play the game, with fees expected to reach more than triple of what parents are paying today and only making it affordable to high income families. We strive to make the game accessible to all in the area, making the game out of reach for future aspirant is simply not fair!

Furthermore, the state of Paisley Park (home of Altona Magic) has not changed in the last 20 years, with only club investing money towards upgrades of the facilities; therefore the club would not meet stadium requirements for the proposed new league and structure. Too add, there is no external support to better the standards at Paisley Park by the government and council (lighting, change rooms for woman, major ground repairs and terraces) in the future.

All in all, after much consideration, the board have come to a conclusion that the goals and values of the club are not tied in with those of the governing bodies, and even so, provide little evidence that such a model will work, more than what has worked for our club over the past decades. The VCL youth model, Gold Coast United, North Queensland Fury etc are example of failed investments.

Altona Magic will remain a ‘Local Community Club’ in 2014!

AM Soccer Club

However its mainly PPL throwing up names - But I think we can be certain that us and the Mongs will have sides involved.

Cadete, I've been meaning to join that forum for a while now but there doesn't seem to be an option to create an account. Any way around this?

Cadete, I've been meaning to join that forum for a while now but there doesn't seem to be an option to create an account. Any way around this?

I couldnt for ages either, I cant remember how I got around it but I think FB may have told me what I was doing wrong.

I am pretty sure that you need to use a proper email not a hotmail or gmail.

• Like 1

Apparently already 27 clubs have applied so things seem to be going ahead as planned...

http://www.goalweekly.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=6893%3Anplv-excitement-grows&Itemid=129

Submitting an expression of interest is not the same as an application.

Glad to hear some sense being spoken about all this, if I go to chat with a lot of VPL supporters, the moment I mention NPL they start frothing at the mouth and they eyes go back in their head. I'm seriously looking forward to following the Heart in winter.

If you make the effort to get the past knee-jerk conservatism of a lot of VPL fans, you'll see that there are actually some very legitimate concerns being raised.

• Lousy consultation by the FFV, which comes across as more of a box ticking enterprise than actual consultation.
  • Destruction of the community aspect of clubs that are chosen to be part of the 'elite' system.
  • Creating the situation where blow in parents can more easily take over senior clubs.
  • Bloody expensive.
  • Making elite clubs not much more than development pathways rather than as clubs who want to win championships in their own right, with the added stupidity of A-League teams still hiring mid 30s has beens ahead of younger talent not copping the same flack, nor facing the same restrictions.
  • Draconian financial rules, imposed from an organisation that just lost $800k last financial year and who blamed a reduction in fines as a major cause of that.

Now maybe it's not as bad as the anti-NPLV forces make out, but for myself, and I like to think I'm more open minded on these things, I've found it incredibly difficult to support this move, and this is as a supporter of one of the few clubs that could potentially afford to do this. That's not to excuse the system as it exists now, but a re-badged VCL with all the costs and risks falling on clubs is a bit of a joke.

off topic with all this NPL stuff, thought this is pretty cool as to what's happening at my school and the club they established outside (Mazenod United FC)

I'd say good on him (Grant Brebner) helping out the fledgling club in its second season and assisting in coaching for the school teams.

Although my brothers told me he is somewhat useless at coaching, he just sits on the bench and they have their own mazenod staff as the team coach instructing the gameplay, and shows up only for home games, probably tells the head coach a few things, but he gives some talks at half time. Heard he does school soccer trainings but cannot clarify if true, oh well.

But a promising club I'd say since they expanded from 2 teams into 6 (or 5 I think?) :up:

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/leader/east/scottish-footballer-grant-brebner-to-coach-mazenod-college-teams-and-play-for-mazenod-united/story-fngnvmqa-1226610718927

Edited by Young Polak

Don't think he had a whole lot to do with Mazenod's senior sides, pretty sure he only played 1 game and was only scheduled to play a few guest appearances during the season before he took the Richmond gig.

With all the money they've spent was pretty unimpressed with Mazenod when they came down to our tournament in pre-season, got knocked out in the semis and promptly packed up their marquee and went home.

Just watched Knights beat Dandy 4-3. Good match. Decent crowd.

Konyit played a full 90 @ RB, looked good.

Would kill to have someone like Adam Zilic @ Heart. Might not be a world beater but has more heart than our whole team. Nate Foster was pretty good, missed an open goal.

• 2 weeks later...

This could get interesting.

Teams left in the State Knockout Cup: Richmond, Sunshine, Clifton Hill, Dandy, Werribee, Green Gully, Preston and South Melbourne.

The prospect of a Preston v South possibly being drawn reminds me of this scene...of course all in humour and on a far smaller scale. Both sets of fans are probably hoping for this match-up though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdRaf_gydzo

Edited by MKD

This could get interesting.

Teams left in the State Knockout Cup: Richmond, Sunshine, Clifton Hill, Dandy, Werribee, Green Gully, Preston and South Melbourne.

The prospect of a Preston v South possibly being drawn reminds me of this scene...of course all in humour and on a far smaller scale. Both sets of fans are probably hoping for this match-up though.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdRaf_gydzo

it just got interesting.

Relax guys, only reference I was making is that a fair few south and Preston fans were hoping for their clubs to be put up against each other. Don't read into it too much. The fact is these teams have a great rivalry and unfortunately we don't see them play each other all that often these days.

Relax guys, only reference I was making is that a fair few south and Preston fans were hoping for their clubs to be put up against each other. Don't read into it too much. The fact is these teams have a great rivalry and unfortunately we don't see them play each other all that often these days.

I wasn't having a go at you. I just forgot how garbage that film was until I saw that clip

Same here mate,

And FWIW I think if this game occurred it might end up being an over policed non event like when Preston and Bergers meet a few years ago in the Cup.

Then again it might be perfect weather and the South fans might come out from under their rocks in Oakleigh,

• Like 1

I wasn't having a go at you. I just forgot how garbage that film was until I saw that clip

Same here mate,

And FWIW I think if this game occurred it might end up being an over policed non event like when Preston and Bergers meet a few years ago in the Cup.

Then again it might be perfect weather and the South fans might come out from under their rocks in Oakleigh,

All good, my mistake. The game will probably get a fair bit of hype, but who knows what the attendance will be like. The game will be played in-between the 23rd and 31st of July. Surely the FFV will take into consideration the Victory v Liverpool match on the 24th when scheduling these quarter finals.

It's seems rather sus when Preston has played away every single match of the cup so far. This week all the VPL teams left in the cup also host all the non-VPL sides. Makes you think whether the draw is actually random.

Same here mate,

All good, my mistake. The game will probably get a fair bit of hype, but who knows what the attendance will be like. The game will be played in-between the 23rd and 31st of July. Surely the FFV will take into consideration the Victory v Liverpool match on the 24th when scheduling these quarter finals.

It's seems rather sus when Preston has played away every single match of the cup so far. This week all the VPL teams left in the cup also host all the non-VPL sides. Makes you think whether the draw is actually random.

It might be because the VPL pitches are of a better standard, some of the State League play on some pretty tiny muddy pitches (However I am unaware of how Preston pitch is looking these days..

Edited by cadete

Same here mate,

It might be because the VPL pitches are of a better standard, some of the State League play on some pretty tiny muddy pitches (However I am unaware of how Preston pitch is looking these days..

Possibly, but the draw is meant to be entirely random. During the earlier stages of the cup there would've been games played all over the place. I think it's more likely to do with generating revenue.

• Like 1

Same here mate,

Possibly, but the draw is meant to be entirely random. During the earlier stages of the cup there would've been games played all over the place. I think it's more likely to do with generating revenue.

Yeah you are probably right,

Its going to be the same with the FFA Cup when it finally gets going - I doubt any A League teams will play matches not on A League pitches.

Same here mate,

Its going to be the same with the FFA Cup when it finally gets going - I doubt any A League teams will play matches not on A League pitches.

Why? Are they too good to come down and play at a small club's ground. It happens in  England where Manchester United could end up playing at Yeovil or any ohter small club. Are A League bigger than EPL clubs?

Same here mate,

Why? Are they too good to come down and play at a small club's ground. It happens in  England where Manchester United could end up playing at Yeovil or any ohter small club. Are A League bigger than EPL clubs?

Mate I wish we could play at the suburban grounds and attend as many of SL1 games as possible (Often the fixtures clash with my VFA side),

But I just cant see the FFA letting its "New Football Fans" see Old Soccer in all its glory.

• 2 weeks later...

Went and watched Mooroolbark play Croydon tonight. This was the first time I have been to a state league game in around 15 years.

Enjoyed the freezing conditions and hot chips and the game was a better standard than I thought it would be. Barkers won 5-1.

Croydon had Danny Allsopp playing for them in more of a midfield role. He had some nice touches and a few shots on goal which were easily dealt with by the Mooroolbark keeper.

I don't know why I have left it so long to go to a state league match, but I am keen to take a few more in before the seasons over.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently South Melbourne have also decided against applying for a position in the NPL. This entire concept seems like a massive failure without some of the largest state league clubs going around. I can never see a future two tier system working when some of the largest ex-NSL clubs won't be a part of it. It may seem like a ploy to undermine the FFA, but I think the clubs are only doing what is right to ensure their independence and values are maintained.

Imagine if a relegation system is introduced into the A-League. If teams like Victory or Sydney were to face the drop and some team that barely attracts a few hundred spectators through the gates were to take their place, the league would collapse instantly.