Melbourne Football

January transfer window

heart_fan10

Better off shutting up shop for this season and saving our cash for the next.

why can't we sign players now for next season?

if anything it's better we start building for next season now. they come in get familiar with the club etc. play for a couple months and come back day 1 of pre-season

We can.

What about Eric Paartalu? He's reportedly interested in leaving Brisbane?

yeah he'd love to play for us

*Sigh*

This breaking even crap has really been to our detriment. Instead of this line of thinking where hardly no new people have been wowed enough to join up, the club should have an attitude in wanting to be the best and attract more people.

The whole attitude of the club has meant we have just 6,000 members and poor attendance.

Easier and more exciting ways to break even than the way they have gone about it.

I agree. And in addition, football clubs do not need to break even or make a profit. It all depends on their financial backing. How many folks here know that Manchester City lost about A$150 million for 2011-2012? And that was considered a good result because the season before the club lost about A$300 million!!

*Sigh*

This breaking even crap has really been to our detriment. Instead of this line of thinking where hardly no new people have been wowed enough to join up, the club should have an attitude in wanting to be the best and attract more people.

The whole attitude of the club has meant we have just 6,000 members and poor attendance.

Easier and more exciting ways to break even than the way they have gone about it. In a development phase of attracting new fans to be long term viable, they sure as hell have made it easy for people to not want to join up.

Instead they now realise that they need to do something and made the necessary moves to get a heap of money for Beckham even though it won't happen. Imagine if the club was more of that thinking and adventurous in everything they did. Rather than the softly softly boring approach.

You wont win friends with salad....

Easy for us to say (and I say ot too) but it's the franchise owners' money not ours. If it were a fan owned club would you be prepared to give the club $10,000 to sign a player?

*Sigh*

Easier and more exciting ways to break even than the way they have gone about it. In a development phase of attracting new fans to be long term viable, they sure as hell have made it easy for people to not want to join up.

Instead they now realise that they need to do something and made the necessary moves to get a heap of money for Beckham even though it won't happen. Imagine if the club was more of that thinking and adventurous in everything they did. Rather than the softly softly boring approach.

Easy for us to say (and I say ot too) but it's the franchise owners' money not ours. If it were a fan owned club would you be prepared to give the club $10,000 to sign a player?

As I said better ways to break even. I don't even know many football clubs that break even to have this part of our philosophy is strange. Why do these owners want to own a club and not invest what is required.

I sometimes wonder why these guys wanted to have ownership in the first place, was it just prestige? Now they have their wallets under lock and key is it detrimental for the club?

If we had an attitude of obtaining 12,000 members instead of 6,000 members by spending a third more money than we have in marketing and advertising etc would that not be a better way of doing things.

What do these guys want in our club? The title of being directors without major investment? The way they are going, they don't want to be the biggest and best club in the land, to me that attitude doesn't sit right.

I expect a team in Melbourne should be capable of getting at least 10,000 members. There is absolutely no excuse to not reach that figure. Do whatever it takes to reach that.

Breaking even after three years. Give me a fucking spell.

I think that the club's goal for this season is 10,000 members. These are all good questions that you should ask at the fan forum after the next game

They are at 60% of their goal. If they budgeted for 10k they are in trouble. FAIL.

If you are not prepared to spend in the Melbourne market then prepare for failure. You act like North Melbourne and the Bulldogs do in the AFL and majority of Melburnians see right through you. The poor struggler club doesn't work in this city.

The fan forum should be interesting, hopefully I am able to turn up! I hope no matter what this is not some poxy gathering and the fact the players are being introduced and talking and mingling with the fans, says to me they will avoid the forum part of the afternoon as much as they can. They know fans are not impressed and they know their faults. The board don't want to spend so makes it hard for the staff.

As I have said, we need to obtain ownership that wants this club to be the best. Right now we don't have owners that want this. This is quite obvious.

The more this goes on for the club the more potential supporters we will loose. I know friends who would rather go and a game of socce with 20,000 fans rather than 4000 fans. The club need to do something now or we will loose the fans that havent made up their mind on which club to follow.

Fans have a responsibility too. Bring mates, make Heart friends and that will keep them coming back. Each of us should be able to bring someone. So that 6,000 crowd is 12,000. It really is that easy if the fans attitude changes.

Amazingly I have brought people who have fallen in love with our club despite the "atmosphere" of Victory. It's not impossible. I think the best way forward is to get an Active membership, take mates to the pre game, introduce yourself to other fans and make connections. Then sing and chant and have banter with other Heart fans. One thing I have noticed is our active group is pretty young as a generalisation, yet all people should be involved not just teenagers or young adults. Men, women, children, 50, 30 or 16.

I am pissed off with the club more than most it would seem, but we have responsibility also. If we play the victim card like the club, nothing will change.Time for us to take responsibility for the club we love.

In this day and age, with social media so prominent, there is nothing stopping us the fans from launching a revolution type marketing campaign and doing our bit to help the club. If your friends, like some of mine say nah I prefer Victory, let them go and move onto the next mate. I only want passionate people supporting our club who want to be red and white. I will continually ask and bring new people to the club.

We don't need to be a small club like the club think. We can still be the big club in Australia.

• Like 3

*Sigh*

BG, you're absolutely right. 6,000 members. Easy to raise a cool $6m. But how many of them are prepared to put in $1,000 to do all the things people seem to want - better facilities, better players, etc. etc. etc?

It's very easy to say what someone else should do with their money. Much easier than parting with it oneself.

The more this goes on for the club the more potential supporters we will loose. I know friends who would rather go and a game of socce with 20,000 fans rather than 4000 fans. The club need to do something now or we will loose the fans that havent made up their mind on which club to follow.

Fans have a responsibility too. Bring mates, make Heart friends and that will keep them coming back. Each of us should be able to bring someone. So that 6,000 crowd is 12,000. It really is that easy if the fans attitude changes.

Amazingly I have brought people who have fallen in love with our club despite the "atmosphere" of Victory. It's not impossible. I think the best way forward is to get an Active membership, take mates to the pre game, introduce yourself to other fans and make connections. Then sing and chant and have banter with other Heart fans. One thing I have noticed is our active group is pretty young as a generalisation, yet all people should be involved not just teenagers or young adults. Men, women, children, 50, 30 or 16.

I am pissed off with the club more than most it would seem, but we have responsibility also. If we play the victim card like the club, nothing will change.Time for us to take responsibility for the club we love.

In this day and age, with social media so prominent, there is nothing stopping us the fans from launching a revolution type marketing campaign and doing our bit to help the club. If your friends, like some of mine say nah I prefer Victory, let them go and move onto the next mate. I only want passionate people supporting our club who want to be red and white. I will continually ask and bring new people to the club.

We don't need to be a small club like the club think. We can still be the big club in Australia.

I still don't know how you don't have a job at heart HQ cause some of the shit you say is really insightful

I still don't know how you don't have a job at heart HQ cause some of the shit you say is really insightful

Can't afford me.

• Like 2

The only way I can see the club growing is by having on field success for a prolonged time. I would say the type of football fans who are going to buy memberships are just about all signed up between us and Victory. That means our growth has to come from getting people to come to games who have never had an interest in this code. And honestly the only way I see that happening is if we win a

lot. maybe even dominate for a few years.

Another way could be to change the club's name and give it a geographical home. That should've been done to begin with. Look at wanderers and how they're thriving.

• Like 1

The only way I can see the club growing is by having on field success for a prolonged time. I would say the type of football fans who are going to buy memberships are just about all signed up between us and Victory. That means our growth has to come from getting people to come to games who have never had an interest in this code. And honestly the only way I see that happening is if we win a

lot. maybe even dominate for a few years.

Another way could be to change the club's name and give it a geographical home. That should've been done to begin with. Look at wanderers and how they're thriving.

Geography is not the answer. Melbourne is not Sydney.

Success will help, but people will come back even if there is a loss. Is about overall enjoyment. I have evidence with three people. First two games were losses including the derby, yet they are coming back.

If you take mates, and just see the game and leave, don't expect them to come back. As I have said, make friends with Heart people, get to the pub before games and even after games, banter, laughs, talk about the win or loss. That will create a community for your friends new to the game to hang onto and enjoy themselves! Lets be honest match day experience is not outstanding (low crowd numbers, gimmicks) so you need to offer more.

Overall experience. Feeling part of something.

I encourage everyone to get active memberships, I encourage all of our fans to start a pub fan culture before games, after games and away days. You don't need to drink alcohol but the atmosphere created will be memorable for newbies.

Only then will we create a community new people will want to be part of. In Europe football is all active. Everyone chants, everyone gets behind the team and the experience on match day is only partially about the game. We need to create a culture within our fans of this. The game is the main act but there is more to it being a Heart fan.

To see after a win so many people just get up and leave is dissapointing. Then getting back to an empty pub was not great. Streets were vacant and everyone had gone home.

We need to take responsibility to create a certain culture that will maintain newbies and bring new people in. The established fan needs to also open up and be welcoming to new heart fan or potential fans.

This is the way of growth we can contribute to.

• Like 5

Another way to potentially engage fans would be to create "Supporter Clubs" for specific regions. Places to watch away games for people who don't live near the Imp. Areas like Casey, Gippsland, Dandenong, etc need to form supporters clubs and find a home base to watch away games, plan functions, etc.

This is prevalant in the UK where supporters clubs are based all over the country, particularly at Man Utd....

Another way to potentially engage fans would be to create "Supporter Clubs" for specific regions. Places to watch away games for people who don't live near the Imp. Areas like Casey, Gippsland, Dandenong, etc need to form supporters clubs and find a home base to watch away games, plan functions, etc.

This is prevalant in the UK where supporters clubs are based all over the country, particularly at Man Utd....

you will find the majority of these clubs are started by supporters, not the clubs

you will find the majority of these clubs are started by supporters, not the clubs

This needs to be looked into be it by the club or by supporters.

It can't be too hard for the club to send someone to these area's for a few hours with a blueprint to form a supporters club. Spam Facebook and create an event, get people to invite friends. Club offers deals for supporters groups. Not rocket science.

Offer areas that are a significant distance away reduced ticket prices to compensate for the cost of travel. My train ticket to home games is an extra $30 on top of my matchday expense, hard to justify at times when the team produces utter dross on the pitch.

i hope this doesn't come across as rude, but mus-28 what's stopping you doing it yourself?

even if it's not for your area - i'm sure there are people on here who can help you in their respective areas of victoria/australia

I spend far too much time tied up in my own amateur club as a player, coach and committee member, and would probably end up divorced if I tie up what little free time I have left starting a supporters club.

I've managed to coerce more that 30 mates to attend heart games, including getting 22 to attend the rain delayed game against CCM in Feb '11. I'll continue to attend games and try and get people to attend but doing it on a larger scale isn't viable for me atm.

• Like 1

well i'm pleased to hear you're doing your bit anyway. i think that if anything is gonna happen its gonna start here -people can ask if anyone else is in their area wanting to watch a game, etc.

i think at the moment our fanbase is a little low for regional supporters clubs in various areas, but hey - happy to be proved wrong

How can we volunteer and what can we do to help?

Contact the club and ask. Anything you do will help.

Bring people to games is the main thing we can all do.

Glad to see/hear someone else harping on about this. This is what I'm constantly going in about and was the premise of the HeartFan app.

Even if we fail at every current member bringing at least one. We could end up with 10k.

The problem is luring them the first time. I've recently reached the point of giving up on 'nagging' people because I was sick of being rejected. I've been doing it for 3 years and people just seem to have every excuse under the sun.

A small welcome pack with a flag or cap or something would go a long way as a small thank you for trying it out.

Supporters club down my way would be great. Something I might look into starting down the track if the interest down here grows a bit.

Where is your way?

Warrnambool and surrounding areas.

Great area but the wrong side of town for me. I hope your club gets off the ground.

• Like 1

Surprisingly st.albans has a fair few Melbourne heart supporters.

St Albans is pretty multicultural with a fair few Croatians living there.

one bit of road really separates the sudanese and asian people from the Croatians etc.

This is the type of area HeartFC should have setup. A football mad area. It also shows why Western Bulldogs (AFL) struggles to boost it's membership amongst people who would rather follow the round ball code. It's a mini version of Western Sydney. How about we relocate from Latrobe Uni to Victoria Uni?

Surprisingly st.albans has a fair few Melbourne heart supporters.

St Albans is pretty multicultural with a fair few Croatians living there.

one bit of road really separates the sudanese and asian people from the Croatians etc.

This is the type of area HeartFC should have setup. A football mad area. It also shows why Western Bulldogs (AFL) struggles to boost it's membership amongst people who would rather follow the round ball code. It's a mini version of Western Sydney. How about we relocate from Latrobe Uni to Victoria Uni?

i love this idea :up:

not bundoora :droy:

Edited by MrAiDaN66

Can guarantee this will come with time. What happend to the South-East Loyal guy? That was down my way aswell...