Melbourne Football

John Aloisi

kingofhearts

I think that we need to look at the complexity of the whole situation:

the team is losing when it plays well

the team is losing when it plays poorly

the team lacks belief in its ability to win

we have an inexperienced coach who has improved in some ways from last season but struggles to be proactive during games and is slow to react tactically and rarely reacts in a way that is successful from a tactical point of view, tonight was a good example

we have players who seem able to score at will in practice (when the goal must be 50m wide and 30m high) but are anxiety struck in games and are unable to score.

True, we've had a lot of bad luck and 'if onlys' but after a while you start to make your own luck and can't only blame bad luck on chance. When we do have 'bad luck' any tenuous self confidence in the team evaporates.

All teams will go through periods like this. The question is, does the coach and his team have the solution to these problems?

Can the group (players and coaching team) unite as a working group to enact those solutions?

I see no evidence of this, tonight, when the team needed a good performance it put in a Perth game like performance. Crippled with anxiety throughout the game, only when the game is clearly lost the team starts to play. All game there was poor structure, aimless buildup, lack of players getting forward to overload a poor defence, and a lack of intensity until the end of the game. Sydney were given too much space and were allowed to look like Bayern Munich and dictate the game throughout the match.

The solution is more difficult. It is easy to just say sack the coach, and I think that JA is a dead man walking, however sacking him isn't an act of punishment, it needs to be a part of a plan to correct these issues. The important question is who would replace him? Does the Board have the money/will to pay out JA and reach into their pockets to employ someone appreciably talented with a record of success who can turn around the situation? There's no point sacrificing another inexperienced young coach, nor employing a known coach who we all know will not succeed. If this is the only option then I'd rather keep JA than get onto the destabilised Sydney FC coaching merry-go-round. You don't buy into a football club to make money, if the Board want to turn this around then they need to plan carefully. 

The players also need to look at their role in this. JA can't kick the goals for them, what is going on when we have 1:1s every week and whichever player it is fails to score. It isn't like we are losing games where we are outscored, we have scored in only 1 game in 5 and that isn't only a coaching issue. They aren't poor players, we have a good list.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 2

I was suprised of the ages of these guys. Surely one of them is in his 30's! Which means we have passionate supporters of all ages!

I'm in my 30's tony999! What is surprising about someone in their 30's following Heart?

Never said it was suprising. Read what I typed in bold letters.

Edited by Tony999

I've seen enough. I now am for Aloisi getting sacked.

In truth, he needed to win this match, and at very least win one of the next 2 matches. This match was as easy as it is going to get for Aloisi, and we lost 2-0 and made Sydney look like a decent side (no easy feat). And now I can't imagine the next 2 matches meaningfully contradicting the evidence of some 33 matches that Aloisi has coached.

It looks like Aloisi has completely lost the team. They can't play under him, yet alone win.

This season, we've lost every time the opposition has scored first (that's happened 4 times).

Even this pre-season, we lost every time the opponent scored first (3 times).

By my count, when the opponent scored first last season we lost. We lost every game where the opponent scored first (the total: 14 losses). I can't even find a single instance where Aloisi has managed a win, or even a bloody draw, after the opponent scored first.

Unacceptable.

I'm just stunned how little progress Aloisi has made. I never expected him to be a great coach, but I thought he would be good enough to get results and play some decent football in the A-League. I was wrong.

It's now just a question of when. I'm still very concerned about who the club might sign to follow Aloisi. But we've past the tipping point, and Aloisi must go.

And thats the worst thing tbh, it just looked like nobody gave a fuck tonight for him. And even worse he's lost yarraside.

Expecting a press conference tomorrow from heart tell us with parted ways with JA

Aloisi looked a shattered man tonight.  Funnily he didn't talk about next week or the future, wouldn't be surprised if he's gone.

Yes he did, he looked a dead man walking. I really do feel for him, I hope that h's tough enough to salvage a coaching career, he post match comments were more realistic for once

For those who watched tonight's debacle on Foxtel would have heard Andy Harper and the other commentator let it rip.

They were scathing on the players and the club as a whole.

Harper said some home truths and whilst putting some of the blame on Aloisi he said the problem is higher than the coach.

Main issues is with things like training facilities and some of the things that have been present since day 1 of this club.

My opinion is that non football people, who know nothing about the game, are running the place and making decisions.

I must say that it's not JA's fault he was hired. He was silly to put his hand up but I don't have much faith in how the club is run on the football side of things. 

I think that we need to look at the complexity of the whole situation:

the team is losing when it plays well

the team is losing when it plays poorly

the team lacks belief in its ability to win

we have an inexperienced coach who has improved in some ways from last season but struggles to be proactive during games and is slow to react tactically and rarely reacts in a way that is successful from a tactical point of view, tonight was a good example

we have players who seem able to score at will in practice (when the goal must be 50m wide and 30m high) but are anxiety struck in games and are unable to score.

True, we've had a lot of bad luck and 'if onlys' but after a while you start to make your own luck and can't only blame bad luck on chance. When we do have 'bad luck' any tenuous self confidence in the team evaporates.

All teams will go through periods like this. The question is, does the coach and his team have the solution to these problems?

Can the group (players and coaching team) unite as a working group to enact those solutions?

I see no evidence of this, tonight, when the team needed a good performance it put in a Perth game like performance. Crippled with anxiety throughout the game, only when the game is clearly lost the team starts to play. All game there was poor structure, aimless buildup, lack of players getting forward to overload a poor defence, and a lack of intensity until the end of the game. Sydney were given too much space and were allowed to look like Bayern Munich and dictate the game throughout the match.

The solution is more difficult. It is easy to just say sack the coach, and I think that JA is a dead man walking, however sacking him isn't an act of punishment, it needs to be a part of a plan to correct these issues. The important question is who would replace him? Does the Board have the money/will to pay out JA and reach into their pockets to employ someone appreciably talented with a record of success who can turn around the situation? There's no point sacrificing another inexperienced young coach, nor employing a known coach who we all know will not succeed. If this is the only option then I'd rather keep JA than get onto the destabilised Sydney FC coaching merry-go-round. You don't buy into a football club to make money, if the Board want to turn this around then they need to plan carefully.

The players also need to look at their role in this. JA can't kick the goals for him, what is going on when we have 1:1s every week and whichever player it is fails to score. It isn't like we are losing games where we are outscored, we have scored in only 1 game in 5 and that isn't only a coaching issue. They aren't poor players, we have a good list.

Problem is have the players lost confidence in JA. I'm sure they're not going to come out and say that but it must surely be playing on their minds and sapping on-field confidence. We looked aimless and bereft of ideas about how to break down an organised defence. The same problem we faced when we played the Oakleigh Cannons and only beat then 1:0. Miron organised them defensively and ask JA to come up with a plan to beat them. We did but only just. I thought after that game that things weren't looking promising. Edited by HEARTinator

Sack him, are you guys actually serious???

JOHNNNNYYYYYY!!!

I'd say 'you are qualified to be working in the MHFC football department', although not trying to be mean it would probably make me sound like a dick. But it's reasoning like this that got us into this mess. We can't sign coaches with little experience and no experience at a-league level just because they were a half-decent player for the country. 

I genuinely feel sorry for JA. The "Aloisi Out" chant was chanted during the match and I refused to join in. End of the game emotions got the better of me and joined in as loud as I could. When your fans turn against you like that and have to find their own fun during the game and of course a shocking record like that, a true man would put his hand up, admit he is not up to the task and walk away. At least there is some dignity there.

• Like 1

Yes, I was clearly having a laugh, he was a good footballer but unfortunately he's an absolute potato as a coach, some players just aren't meant to be managers  B)

I think JA just needs more experience, in his interviews he does show he is very knowledgable about the game and if he had a full team (including Engelaar) atm i think we would be doing a lot better.

I don't think we've seen the last of coach Aloisi even if he does get the sack this week.

Sack him, are you guys actually serious???

JOHNNNNYYYYYY!!!

tbh you cant use this, his reputation has been dragged through the dirt because of coaching heart most fans these days will know him as a drop kick coach rather then a goal scored to qualify for the world cup.

It is sad, I realy wanted the guy to succeed.

But tonight was horrible, Aloisi keeps talking about keeping shape, which is good in defence, but when we have the ball, the centre midfield may as well not be there. The positioning is terrible! No one in support, even making simple triangles for passing, it's basic stuff and I wonder if shape is stifeling creativity. The only options is down the wings or long ball, we have the cattle (I don't buy into injury and luck as excuse), but if the main tactic is to cross to a 5 foot nothing player, then it's pretty hard to win games.

Behich and Walker both again best on field.

Remember when you gaze over the next few weeks of the fixture and think "oh we could maybe get a draw there, but we play wellington/newcastle/perth the week after so we should win there"

that is now us.

oppostion supporters must look ahead at their games and think "fuck yes, were playing Melbourne this week"

Thats is what JA and pizza delivery boy have made us become and I dont think people understand the real repercussions of it. At this rate we will not have a club to follow next season. I for one will not stand it.

Would honestly give half of every paycheck from now til xmas to the club if it helps in paying out this "tatical genius'" contract

• Like 1

This was the most inept performance I have seen from us at home. The 2-0 score line flatters us. It could have easily been 6-0.

Where was our pressing? Pathetic.

What was our main tactic? Boot the ball long and high in the air and hope someone runs on to it. Time after time after time after time. Neanderthal!

Where was the concentration, application and basic discipline/organisation from many of the players?

Look at Behich just ignoring Chianese and letting him stroll in for an easy goal.

What a pathetic tackle to give away the penalty by Wielart. He was meant to be the captain.

We now have 2 draws from our last 11 A League competitive games. 

We are the first home team to be kept scoreless in 23 away games by Sydney FC.

We are a complete rabble.

This goes deeper than the Manager.  However, the Manager MUST accept responsibility.

There are also others who MUST accept responsibility for what is rapidly becoming very damaging to the Melbourne Heart brand.

Heads need to roll in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Is the manager the issue or is the problem more systemic than that?

Is the club strong from a stability perspective or are there major issues off field too?

I don't subscribe to the theory that our issues are with the coaching department only.

Something else is not right and I don't know by changing coaches it will fix the problem/s. Short term yes, long term we will be back here again in a few months.

Aloisi needs to go but there are some off field people, who are on very heavy salaries, that need to go with him. Four years and nothing to show.....

Is the club strong from a stability perspective or are there major issues off field too?

I don't subscribe to the theory that our issues are with the coaching department only.

Something else is not right and I don't know by changing coaches it will fix the problem/s. Short term yes, long term we will be back here again in a few months.

Aloisi needs to go but there are some off field people, who are on very heavy salaries, that need to go with him. Four years and nothing to show.....

I hear that the club can't even afford to pay Aloisi out yet alone afford a decent coach. This is the end game from a trio of stupid Ben Buckley inspired decisions that awarded our fanchise to a barely capitalised group of investors who somehow believed that running a new football club should be profitable

Edited by belaguttman

IMO our shit performances come down to the way we prepare.

Eg last night giving ADP space everywhere, not closing down their shitter players.

I'm sure anyone who has watched us train under Aloisi would agree that it's pretty soft. Barely any drills involve 50/50 challenges and the majority of it is possession based (eg attack vs defence in one half of the pitch), there needs to be a shake up in the way we prepare because it obviously isn't working.

I hear that the club can't even afford to pay Aloisi out yet alone afford a decent coach I know as fact that Sidwell has had the club on the market for over a year. He and his investors had told the football department there was no more extra cash for players late last year. My understanding is that Heart rejected the South Melbourne offers twice after they (Heart board) had initiated the discussions of a sale/merger. Contrary to what people think, FFA are supporting the efforts of Sth Melbourne in obtaining an A-League license. Now whether Heart board can see it out or whether Sidwell plus the plug, time will tell.

The last thing FFA will want though is for the license to be handed back to them...

The longer the rot continues to fester, the more Sidwell will be kicking himself for not accepting the $8million.

I hear that the club can't even afford to pay Aloisi out yet alone afford a decent coach I know as fact that Sidwell has had the club on the market for over a year. He and his investors had told the football department there was no more extra cash for players late last year. My understanding is that Heart rejected the South Melbourne offers twice after they (Heart board) had initiated the discussions of a sale/merger. Contrary to what people think, FFA are supporting the efforts of Sth Melbourne in obtaining an A-League license. Now whether Heart board can see it out or whether Sidwell plus the plug, time will tell.

The last thing FFA will want though is for the license to be handed back to them...

The longer the rot continues to fester, the more Sidwell will be kicking himself for not accepting the $8million.

"The last thing FFA will want though is for the license to be handed back to them..."

Really easy then. FFA inject some money into HeartFC in the same way they have kept WSW afloat. There has to be a second team in Melbourne - it makes sense and the derby crowds prove it. What we have are short term problems due to inept management appointments that have to be corrected. I'm guessing neither Melbourne clubs have received an extra cent from the FFA compared to other teams that had been temporarily kept on a life support system like AU (?). The Melbourne derby kept delivering good news for the FFA when things were going pear shaped a few hears ago - WC bid, Fury, GCU. What about some temporary assistance now to fund a competent coach?

I hear that the club can't even afford to pay Aloisi out yet alone afford a decent coach. This is the end game from a trio of stupid Ben Buckley inspired decisions that awarded our fanchise to a barely capitalised group of investors who somehow believed that running a new football club should be profitable

True.

Victory were given 5 years without competition to build their club in sport mad Melbourne with 4 million people.  Unbelievable.

Then when Heart comes in, the only concession we would have got is one extra derby.  Ridiculous.

But having said that the football department has really killed any hope this club might have had. 

Aloisi was a dickhead for putting his hand up and the Board were even bigger morons for picking him.  Feel for the guy, but he has to go.

• Like 2

Felt disgusted by the "sacked in the morning" chants tbh.

I am usually against stuff like this, however the club and Aloisi need a dose of reality. We the fans are not going to put up with this. It is unacceptable.I'm all for giving the club a dose of reality. I don't believe in belittling the coach like that though.

Chants like that don't do anything but make the terrace look petulant and that we have a simplistic grasp of the issue.

As I've said elsewhere, I don't see this as just a coach issue. The board must take blame for appointing him and the players must take blame for the results aswell. Supporters shouldn't be mad at aloisi, we should be mad at almost everyone at the club for getting us to where we are right now.

Edited by FB.
  • Like 2

I am usually against stuff like this, however the club and Aloisi need a dose of reality. We the fans are not going to put up with this. It is unacceptable.

I'm all for giving the club a dose of reality. I don't believe in belittling the coach like that though.

Chants like that don't do anything but make the terrace look petulant and that we have a simplistic grasp of the issue

As I've said elsewhere, Aloisi is not just at fault here. The board must take blame for appointing him and the players must take blame for the results aswell. Supporters shouldn't be mad at aloisi, we should be mad at almost everyone at the club for getting us to where we are right now.

Well if you have read the media this morning our chanting and the sign has made headlines throughout the country, which all puts pressure on to the club to make a change. It doesn't mean we are petulant, petulant would have been chanting after 7 games in charge. We have been more than patient with this guy and any other club throughout the world would have torn Aloisi to shreds. So instead of sitting there and clapping the team off at full time and 'waiting for things to turn around' I will chant Aloisi Out until my throat is sore, which it is today. 

• Like 4

Where do you start the blame. I don't know where to.

Why so many injuries? They training TOO hard?

The club is being run on a shoe string budget and its starting to show.

Whilst they have vision of Latrobe, it doesn't build presence as being seen training at Goshes paddock.

Is Latrobe too much LIKE a paddock causing injuries.

Is the board to blame, or all of the above

its 11.15 now the next day why has JA not been sacked? if it does not happen today it wont happen we will continue to watch this crap.. i agree on the above post the club as a whole is to blame not only JA, if they can't make thing happen they need to sell up and move on! it may not be an easy task to get new investors but not impossible! - we should shouting "SACK THE BOARD!"

• Like 1

If FFA injects some funds and the franchise becomes successful then they have more chance of selling the franchise for a good price

It's a no brainer really. There is definitely a future for HeartFC but it may be with a different management group that has more football knowledge and experience. FFA can facilitate a change of ownership and inject a little bit of cash now to get new coaching blood and get this ship refloated. I'm pretty sure their investment will pay off with the next media deal and now that we have made the WC extra cash will come in.

I am usually against stuff like this, however the club and Aloisi need a dose of reality. We the fans are not going to put up with this. It is unacceptable.

I'm all for giving the club a dose of reality. I don't believe in belittling the coach like that though.

Chants like that don't do anything but make the terrace look petulant and that we have a simplistic grasp of the issue

As I've said elsewhere, Aloisi is not just at fault here. The board must take blame for appointing him and the players must take blame for the results aswell. Supporters shouldn't be mad at aloisi, we should be mad at almost everyone at the club for getting us to where we are right now.

Well if you have read the media this morning our chanting and the sign has made headlines throughout the country, which all puts pressure on to the club to make a change. It doesn't mean we are petulant, petulant would have been chanting after 7 games in charge. We have been more than patient with this guy and any other club throughout the world would have torn Aloisi to shreds. So instead of sitting there and clapping the team off at full time and 'waiting for things to turn around' I will chant Aloisi Out until my throat is sore, which it is today. 

Perhaps petulant wasn't the right word.

Yes, we have made headlines but not for the best reason though.

You can chant to get rid of Aloisi but that won't fix our issues. It was the board that appointed him, it was the board that chose a more "marketable" candidate over over the best qualified candidate.

My point is that Sidwell and co. were behind his signing and they should be copping as much blame from supporters, as should the players, as Aloisi is now.

Edited by FB.

My point is that Sidwell and co. were behind his signing and they should be copping as much blame from supporters, as should the players, as Aloisi is now.

Thats it in a nutshell.  

Unfortunately the Board won't sack itself and the players can't be sacked, so Aloisi is gonna cop it all on their behalf.