Melbourne Football

Sunday October 14 - 3:00pm Melbourne FC vs. The Nux @ AAMI Park

Jimmy

Disappointing ... MCG carpark closed (wtf), not enough food kiosks open (wtf), should have had the game wrapped up by half time ... good crowd, wonder how many will be back for the Mariners

think we are playing better than last year in terms of game plan ... certain players are still finding their touch and we should continue to improve.

We just gotta start to win these types of games at home (last year, we would have lost this one so a draw is not the end of the world). Early but still second on the ladder.

Perth will be tough next week. Maybe Grey will play for experience / size, with Vrankovic (did well today) on the bench again. Tadic does look slow, but i think if he can get some confidence and fitness he will be some value. He is still a good choice sub for now.

Its pointless playing Tadic on the wing, he could barely keep up with D Mac let alone push forward when we were in attack...

This is where we could have used Goodwin (yes, he has gone). Tadic was unlucky with the textbook head down towards goal which bounced over. Average day at the office all round.

dissapointing result, just on the chanting, the sausage roll chant was ridiculous, ando goes on about getting behind the boys and then the chant goes up again in the 90th min, that's fucking poor. id rather stand in silence then have that shit sung

Sausage roll = goal

• Like 1

hahaha satisfied right now and peter any chant going at the time is good even if its relevant or not there was plenty of chants started tonight which where related and didn't get full support in the end of the day we should be getting behind the team relevant or not even though sassuage roll chant is a good.

Garcia played well same with dugandzic, rest of the team was questionable though. Just seems like they took this match to lightly and decided they could get the three points by just rocking up to the stadium and not putting in a real effort. Hopefully they lift against perth, seeming that perth seem to be melbournes bogey team.

terrace was a disgrace today.

What the fuck is the point of coming to the terrace if you're going to stand there with your arms crossed. Ando is trying his heart out to try and get everyone to sing and half the terrace continues to stand there or get a Facebook update on their phone.

Not fucking good enough.

If you don't want to sing, at the top of your voice, for 90minutes then FUCK OFF.

It may seem harsh but it's the way it is. It's called the "active" section for a reason.

Would rather half the numbers singing their hearts out, than what we had today tbh.

Agrre very much so with this comment.

I sat on my usual position on the wing towards the Swan Street end and the terrace wasn't as loud as some games last year, i.e Adelaide. Stayed around for a bit to watch Chokleigh and the gypsies and the Dandy fans actually chanted a lot louder and harder than Yarraside.

Edited by toogood18
  • Like 1

Well put Tesla. Not all doom and gloom. It's a long season and early signs are really positive. So much upside as well. From what I heard from within the club about Fred's fitness at the start of preseason, he's done well to stay on the park for a full 90 today. With fitness comes better decision making too, so he will take a bit of time. Next week will be a big test. Perth on the hunt after dropping one today and it will be interesting to see how preseason matches are a guide to fixtured games. Let's hope not!!

Well put Tesla. Not all doom and gloom. It's a long season and early signs are really positive. So much upside as well. From what I heard from within the club about Fred's fitness at the start of preseason, he's done well to stay on the park for a full 90 today. With fitness comes better decision making too, so he will take a bit of time. Next week will be a big test. Perth on the hunt after dropping one today and it will be interesting to see how preseason matches are a guide to fixtured games. Let's hope not!!

Spot on. Real test is next week. Very challenging game, traveling all the way to Perth, the preseason loss still in the minds of the players, and Perth being an exceptional team who could easily take this league out. I think we will have a much better idea of where we stand after this game.

• Like 1

Pretty much agree with Tesla. If Wellington's goal went in and Colosimo didn't handball it I think we would have won by about 3 to 1. First half, especially after the goal, was overall a solid performance and we dominated.

Behich has to improve his decision making in the final third, but I think he had a pretty good game. Ifill, a top player, was bossed out of the game by Behich in the first half, who stole the ball off him on multiple occasions (like for the first goal).

Garcia was probably MOTM for me. Good at defending and breaking up play. Also, he gives the team direction when we have the ball and he is a smart passer. Along with Fred we have 2 excellent midfielders. So all we need is Germano, Thompson or Kalmar to step up and we'll have one of the best, if the best, midfield in the league.

Gerhardt is a solid defender who wins many headers, but he needs to improve his passing. Too many long balls early in the game. I reckon once he's more familiar with the team he'll be more sensible with his passing and he'll be a solid all round player.

Unfortunately Tadic only got around 48 minutes and the best chances didn't fall to him. I think he's probably better suited to be an out an out striker, and we should probably only play him as LW if we're chasing the game.

We should have 3 forwards coming back next week (Williams, Garuccio, Golgol), so I think we'll have enough firepower going forward to finish more often.

• Like 1

Richie G has been my boy since we signed him, and was by far our MOM today.

Don't really see the reason for the Behich hate.

Our attacking movement and organisation as a whole was disgraceful today.

People were running into each others' spaces, large gaps were left, wrong areas were attacked, etc.

Not Aziz's fault that he has no one to pass to.

Gerhardt looked reasonably solid.

• Like 1

Richie G has been my boy since we signed him, and was by far our MOM today.

If he was your boy why didnt you go 5 minutes from your house to watch him in his first hit out for the club? Was probably the only bring light in that loss.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

Well, yes, I read all these positives. But the facts are we were playing a severely undermanned Wellington and we should have been 3-0 up at the interval and cruising. Instead we very nearly blew it because once again we did not put enough pressure on their GK and did not take the chances we had. Conversely Bolton was in trouble with every inswinging corner kick. We got one point where we should have had three, and I'm suffering severe case of deja vu.

• Like 4

Interesting I seem to have a different opinion of the game then most, maybe because I missed this game and just watched a replay now, often it can be easy to miss a lot of the game when you're in the terrace, but anyway my thoughts are:

I do feel saying Colosimo cost us this game is fair. Handballing on the goalline does save a goal, but off the top of my head I would say at least 75% of penalties are converted. So by handballing on the goalline he traded 0.25 of a goal for a red card for 45? mins. If it was the 93rd minute it would be a good decision, but not with so much of the game left. We would have won if he just let that goal go in and wasn't sent off. Really poor from such an experienced player. On the other hand, we also had enough chances before the red card to have made the sending off irrelevant if we took them.

Dont agree with the Aziz hate, I thought he played well, that first goal was fantastic and he initiated it. I cant say the goal was all him as it was fantastic play from Fred to get in there, hold it up, and lay it off for Thompson, and a great finish from Thompson as well.

Fred played well too IMO, he ruined a lot of chances but he was making the right moves to get into those positions, just wasnt his night. Good signs I think, it will come good soon.

Dugandzic, played well but I know he has a lot more to give, just waiting for him to put the team on his back like he was for a few game period last season, so much talent.

Garcia would be the MoM for us IMO, just fantastic play overall, has flown under the radar with all the big signings coming into the league this season but he is looking like a great addition to our squad.

Tadic looks slow, but thats not the end of the world, plenty of slow players have reached world class levels, the jury is still out on him, will need a while to settle in before we get a better idea of what his capable of.

Jury very much still out on Gerhardt as well IMO, seems we play him for his ability to put on some passes coming out of defense rather than solely for his defensive ability which is sometimes questionable. But the thing is, sometimes he creates a great pass, while other times he has some really poor long balls which make him look quite bad. TBH I think he will turn out a good player, if he can create a couple of half chances a game with his passes, which it looks like he can, could cancel out any defensive weaknesses he may have and the passes he gets wrong.

Overall, we were playing exceptionally but not scoring the chances, much like when we were gettting it right last season. Dont know why we still have this problem of not taking our chances, hopefully it comes good soon. Then the red card happened and 10 men vs 11 is always going to be tough. I think people are being way to negative. When it was 11 vs 11 were playing very very well, just need to start taking the chances .

I agree with Garcia, such a great signing. Had an awesome game today.

I hate to break it to you, but your boys were poor!

Really, really poor.

You knew you were playing against a heavily amputated Wellington side and you didn't command the game as you were supposed to.

Sure, you had a few chances and at moments you showed that you were far better than us, but you know you can't be proud of your achievement and think this was 'we'll lift the trophy this year' standard.

Remember who you played against.

We were missing 7 of our best players. SEVEN! And we haven't exactly got a good away record either.

At times you showed that bit of extra class, but somehow you just didn't look scary when it really mattered.

Class goal by you, but again, if you can't fuck us over, when we're down to 40% of our usual strength, then you need to have a good look at yourself in the mirror.

Not sure how many pies Ifill has had off-season, but he looks chubby and slow. A bit worried.

Edited by danepak
  • Like 2

Agree with a lot in the recent posts. Slow start, but from the time of Behich's run which created the first goal until Colosimo's red card, we played very well, but didn't take advantage of our chances. Not sure how much to read into the game given Phoenix had so many out and we had 10 men for 45 minutes. Disappointed with the result, but I think we're going ok. The next couple of weeks will tell us a lot more.

This was a three point game and we lost two points.

There is nothing positive to take out of such a pathetic result. We basically played a third string team at home against a team that had to travel 3 hours to get here, without any major coaching staff.

One word - pathetic!

• Like 1

Seriously we need to have yarraside police in the terrance. People have already commented on

lazy fuckers who don't chant in the terrance when there suppose to and there right.

We need a group of 5-10 people to stand around the terrance and kick people out

if there too busy updating there fucking facebook status to chant. Also can we slow

the fuck down with the chanting? It just seemed the people at the back were always chanting too

fast. Maybe need another ando down the back??

I hate to break it to you, but your boys were poor!

Really, really poor.

You knew you were playing against a heavily amputated Wellington side and you didn't command the game as you were supposed to.

Sure, you had a few chances and at moments you showed that you were far better than us, but you know you can't be proud of your achievement and think this was 'we'll lift the trophy this year' standard.

Remember who you played against.

We were missing 7 of our best players. SEVEN! And we haven't exactly got a good away record either.

At times you showed that bit of extra class, but somehow you just didn't look scary when it really mattered.

Class goal by you, but again, if you can't fuck us over, when we're down to 40% of our usual strength, then you need to have a good look at yourself in the mirror.

Not sure how many pies Ifill has had off-season, but he looks chubby and slow. A bit worried.

Why post this after about 4 pages of people saying we were poor?

tbh we were controlling the game pretty well and should've been a few goals up at halftime, then that one moment of madness destroyed us. Not a great performance but not disastrously bad, aside from once again failing when we get a decent crowd.

Thought we were pretty good until Colosimo added to his red card tally, pretty stupid thing to do early in the half. A lot of the time it seemed Fred was too spent to present for the ball when the defenders were in posession, when Garcia was coming to recieve the ball we played it out and looked good.

Really didn't utilize Mate against a rookie LB in the 1st half, everything seemed to go through the middle, unless Aziz was bombing down the left. A lot of the time when we had it at the back Fred would push up alongside D-Mac and leave Thommo & Garcia to make the runs back toward the defence to recieve.

In all positive performance for the majority of the game and a big improvement on pass back to Bolton and lump it up the park of last season. Also pretty impressed by Vrankovic, hopefully he can nail down that spot at CB.

Also can we slow the fuck down with the chanting?

Slow down more ?? I think that's the problem why people don't chant. They lose interest and there's no energy. Need some chants with energy that excite people. The beat of the drum is slower than my pulse sometimes. I want to be fired up, not calmed down. I've gone past funeral marches that have more energy. Slower chants are good if there's passion behind them, but half the time there isn't. It just comes out as a wishy washy wrist slashing mess. Energise !!

Slow down more ?? I think that's the problem why people don't chant. They lose interest and there's no energy. Need some chants with energy that excite people. The beat of the drum is slower than my pulse sometimes. I want to be fired up, not calmed down. I've gone past funeral marches that have more energy. Slower chants are good if there's passion behind them, but half the time there isn't. It just comes out as a wishy washy wrist slashing mess. Energise !!

Lol.

Energy and passion ≠ fast.

Interesting I seem to have a different opinion of the game then most, maybe because I missed this game and just watched a replay now, often it can be easy to miss a lot of the game when you're in the terrace, but anyway my thoughts are:

I do feel saying Colosimo cost us this game is fair. Handballing on the goalline does save a goal, but off the top of my head I would say at least 75% of penalties are converted. So by handballing on the goalline he traded 0.25 of a goal for a red card for 45? mins. If it was the 93rd minute it would be a good decision, but not with so much of the game left. We would have won if he just let that goal go in and wasn't sent off. Really poor from such an experienced player. On the other hand, we also had enough chances before the red card to have made the sending off irrelevant if we took them.

Dont agree with the Aziz hate, I thought he played well, that first goal was fantastic and he initiated it. I cant say the goal was all him as it was fantastic play from Fred to get in there, hold it up, and lay it off for Thompson, and a great finish from Thompson as well.

Fred played well too IMO, he ruined a lot of chances but he was making the right moves to get into those positions, just wasnt his night. Good signs I think, it will come good soon.

Dugandzic, played well but I know he has a lot more to give, just waiting for him to put the team on his back like he was for a few game period last season, so much talent.

Garcia would be the MoM for us IMO, just fantastic play overall, has flown under the radar with all the big signings coming into the league this season but he is looking like a great addition to our squad.

Tadic looks slow, but thats not the end of the world, plenty of slow players have reached world class levels, the jury is still out on him, will need a while to settle in before we get a better idea of what his capable of.

Jury very much still out on Gerhardt as well IMO, seems we play him for his ability to put on some passes coming out of defense rather than solely for his defensive ability which is sometimes questionable. But the thing is, sometimes he creates a great pass, while other times he has some really poor long balls which make him look quite bad. TBH I think he will turn out a good player, if he can create a couple of half chances a game with his passes, which it looks like he can, could cancel out any defensive weaknesses he may have and the passes he gets wrong.

Overall, we were playing exceptionally but not scoring the chances, much like when we were gettting it right last season. Dont know why we still have this problem of not taking our chances, hopefully it comes good soon. Then the red card happened and 10 men vs 11 is always going to be tough. I think people are being way to negative. When it was 11 vs 11 were playing very very well, just need to start taking the chances .

One of the best posts I have read from you Telsa.

I was pretty filthy with Colosimo. He had the reaction time to swat at the ball with his hand like an idiot, but not either try and header or chest the ball out and look like an idiot if he misses or let it go in and win with 11v11, which would have be far greater chance.

Mate and Fred seemed to lack any sort of conviction in shooting, which would be handy to have when D-mac is subbed out.

Tadic didn't do a lot for me, and I wonder about how Garrucio will figure into the squad going forward. Pacy and nice cross on him.