Melbourne Football

Chants that worked

BeardedHeart

I just want to point out the reason why we are doing the We are Melbourne chant is because it is one everyone knows and in these early rounds I want to make as much noise as possible we are going to be getting chant sheets printed and the songs recorded in the next couple of weeks then I will start to introduce the other new songs I have and then people will be able to learn them easier. Player chants noted I realized after game that im not doing enough so will see improvement in that next game. Thanks for all the feedback 

Which new chants will be introduced?

edit: You are in my heart seems to have died down has it? (assuming due to the Hearts ole ole). It's another good one that can make noise, just replace Heart with Ole lol

Edited by strider

Lol every time a chant that said "heart" in it, it seems like all the new wagoners just don't sing it because it's heart not city...walkers not respecting history

Edit:wankers

Meh, should eventually phase out or change the "heart" chants IMO.

It will happen naturally anyway.

• Like 1

Lol every time a chant that said "heart" in it, it seems like all the new wagoners just don't sing it because it's heart not city...walkers not respecting history

Why can't it be our unofficial nickname?

Why can't it be our unofficial nickname?

Definitely can be. It's something that needs to be addressed in terms of our chants / off-field support. 

Who are the Hearts? If referring to the team, it is much easier now to refer to them as City.

If referring to supporters, well, Hearts would certainly have made more sense than Melburnians in that case.

That is where the confusion lies.

I have active seats in bay 18, second last row of the active area and one thing I noticed the other nigh is that a lot of people like to sit down and not chant in 18, which affects everyone. I was standing all game and chanting but I really didn't like scream the chants because I didn't want to sound like that one annoying dick at the game. Along with that, it seemed like a fair amount of people in the area didn't know the chants, there was very little effort made from some fans. Not all fans of course, as there were some standing and chanting but, I would say there was about 30% standing/chanting and 70% sitting. Doesn't really work.  

We need to get bay 18 more active...pardon the pun. If everyone in that bay, (not sure if bay 16 was all standing, couldn't see) is standing and chanting, the atmosphere would be so much better. 

Also, it is very hard to hear the melburnains megaphone from where I sit. Many times, just had to wait for the chant to start and figure out what it was.

Oh, one more thing, I love the NA NA NA NANAN NANANA CITY chant. That would be so good if everyone got involved.

Not trying to offend anyone etc etc, just trying to provide some constructive criticism!  

I just want to point out the reason why we are doing the We are Melbourne chant is because it is one everyone knows and in these early rounds I want to make as much noise as possible we are going to be getting chant sheets printed and the songs recorded in the next couple of weeks then I will start to introduce the other new songs I have and then people will be able to learn them easier. Player chants noted I realized after game that im not doing enough so will see improvement in that next game. Thanks for all the feedback

I agree, the We Are Melbourne chant is the defining chant of this season. It's easy, and gets picked up quickly. I couldn't make it on Friday but I could hear it clearly on the TV. As for the call/response, I really think we should use the Come on you boys in red/white one. It worked brilliantly at the derby:

trim.E8E84BB2-6926-4989-872E-81D275233BCA.MOV

Just a thought.

better this week, had a great time, but still too many passengers.

Capo did a great job. Start of second half we tried to many "new" (ie those where the majority of people don't know the words) chants in a row. 

Let's get louder every week, and maybe, just maybe as a bonus the team will give us something to sing about.

Edited by benzema23

Great job on Friday it was my first game of the season and thought that the melburnians was really well organised and tried to get everyone involved. The only chant I couldn't get into was the splitting of the terrace only because for me it didn't work but it's a great idea and I'm sure I will come around to loving it, also I preferred the we are melbourne chant being repeated ecause its a great chant and got nearly everyone around me chanting so keep up the good work and I can't wait for the CCM game!

The terrace will be x100 better once everyone knows the chants. Therefore this app needs to be updated with audio and a youtube or soundcloud account made with the audio of the main core or whoever is singing with our adaptation of lyrics to be posted and spammed all over social media on the asap. :up:

Edited by THB
  • Like 1

Too many retards and passengers in the terrace to get any new chants going atm

Exactly! 

This is why I don't understand the whole "let's get as many new people as we can!" mentality as quality > quantity imo, there are way too many bandwagon flogs in the terrace at the moment and this notion that not chanting is acceptable spreads like a cancer.

• Like 1

Exactly! 

This is why I don't understand the whole "let's get as many new people as we can!" mentality as quality > quantity imo, there are way too many bandwagon flogs in the terrace at the moment and this notion that not chanting is acceptable spreads like a cancer.

Tho, when we shouted "Come on City!", everyone around me joined in and so was when capo did the split terrace thing, so I think its more of not understanding what the chant is that stops people from joining in. They are there with the best intention at heart, excuse the pun. It will eventually sort itself out. Just need more encouragement, especially on field to give them something to cheer about as well. We will get there eventually. 

• Like 1

Exactly! 

Tho, when we shouted "Come on City!", everyone around me joined in and so was when capo did the split terrace thing, so I think its more of not understanding what the chant is that stops people from joining in. They are there with the best intention at heart, excuse the pun. It will eventually sort itself out. Just need more encouragement, especially on field to give them something to cheer about as well. We will get there eventually. 

It's often the simpler, catchier chants that get everyone involved.

Our loudest chants? Ooh Aah Engelaar + We are Melbourne, We are City.

In other words, more chants with Ole, Ale, Ohs etc etc.

Just look at RBB ffs, they're all Euro-inspired non of this "fuck em all" spastic circle jerk herpes-inspired cum fiesta chants

• Like 4

We are melbourne, we are city was fantastic, especially because it lasted for so long. The tempo of the chants was much better as well, slower is the key. I think a number of the older chants just don't work anymore and like some have said there are far better ones to include. Also agree about the "fuck em all" chant should be axed. Btw "ole ole" chant to the wings was great and will catch on just needs time.

Slower tempo longer chants at specific times during the game are key to getting everybody on board and singing. If you chop and change when and what songs you sing as you go no one will ever catch onto them. The terrace needs flow and I agree with strider the quicker we move away from as he so eloquently put it "spastic circle jerk herpes-inspired cum fiesta chants" or the more english styled chants the better the terrace will sound.

• Like 1

But guys you have to remember this is a new terrace with a new club, we cannot stick with every old chant we have yes our old ones are most recognisable and well known.......its just we look like we borrow from other rivals and not come up with something of our own. Makes us look lazy and uninspired.

If it was up to me, Id have no chants that come from rival a league terraces from our list of chants (even "We are Melbourne, We are City"....thats just plain lazy and reason why its gotten so good is because its used by RBB of course)  and start from scratch, it might take longer to learn but in the end, the rewards are greater for a terrace starting new traditions and thats uniquely Melburnian and no one elses.

Anyways this terrace is what it is, we'll get to wherever we have to be and set the benchmark soon enough. Just needs time and organisation to learn everything!

Edited by elieanid

But guys you have to remember this is a new terrace with a new club, we cannot stick with every old chant we have yes our old ones are most recognisable and well known.......its just we look like we borrow from other rivals and not come up with something of our own. Makes us look lazy and uninspired.

If it was up to me, Id have no chants that come from rival a league terraces from our list of chants (even "We are Melbourne, We are City"....thats just plain lazy and reason why its gotten so good is because its used by RBB of course) and start from scratch, it might take longer to learn but in the end, the rewards are greater for a terrace starting new traditions and thats uniquely Melburnian and no one elses.

Anyways this terrace is what it is, we'll get to wherever we have to be and set the benchmark soon enough. Just needs time and organisation to learn everything!

Totally! We should come out with our own, or at least something that none of the other club is using in the A League. Lets start a new thread, select on one and use it consitently for the whole season so that people can follow.

If it was up to me, Id have no chants that come from rival a league terraces from our list of chants (even "We are Melbourne, We are City"....thats just plain lazy and reason why its gotten so good is because its used by RBB of course) and start from scratch, it might take longer to learn but in the end, the rewards are greater for a terrace starting new traditions and thats uniquely Melburnian and no one elses.

Totally! We should come out with our own, or at least something that none of the other club is using in the A League. Lets start a new thread, select on one and use it consitently for the whole season so that people can follow.

Yes, we need to create an "Official Chants Thread" or something and just post all the chants in there, so it's easier for the new fans to pick up on chants

• Like 1

Hi guys. Just discovered this forum. New to the active supporters end this year.

Only part of our main chants I don't like is the 2nd line of the "we are melbourne" chant. "And we will be"??? We already are. I don't like the connotation that the scum are better than us.

Why not change the 2nd line to "City FC"

We are Melbourne

City FC

Just a thought.

Hi guys. Just discovered this forum. New to the active supporters end this year.

Only part of our main chants I don't like is the 2nd line of the "we are melbourne" chant. "And we will be"??? We already are. I don't like the connotation that the scum are better than us.

We are Melbourne

City FC

Just a thought.

I don't mean to be a downer but they did beat us 5-2 just the other week, "and we will be" is still pretty apt at least in terms of on-field performances.

Edited by Duffman
  • Like 1

We are Melbourne

City FC

Just a thought.

I don't mean to be a downer but they did beat us 5-2 just the other week, "and we will be" is still pretty apt at least in terms of on-field performances. I get that.

It's just the connotation of it that irks me.

Throwing the CITY FC in distinguishes it too and makes it solely us.

Like I said, was just a thought.

A lot if why we say those words have to do with periods in our clubs history where we were not doing so well and that chant became effectively the motto for the supporters. (E.g Gold Coast game in2012 when the chant was sung for 45 minutes straight.

Look I know some stuff has changed, but we do have a history so please respect it.

A lot if why we say those words have to do with periods in our clubs history where we were not doing so well and that chant became effectively the motto for the supporters. (E.g Gold Coast game in2012 when the chant was sung for 45 minutes straight.

Look I know some stuff has changed, but we do have a history so please respect it.

I wasn't being disrespectful mate. Sorry if it came across like that. I will be singing it as loud as anyone this Sunday.

I did notice for the first time there was a mic placed right in front of the terrace. May have been there before though and Ive never realised it. 

From the pitch in the first half at times the terrace sounded as loud as I had ever heard it before, its just keeping that loudness consistent which is the challenge. 

I did notice for the first time there was a mic placed right in front of the terrace. May have been there before though and Ive never realised it. 

From the pitch in the first half at times the terrace sounded as loud as I had ever heard it before, its just keeping that loudness consistent which is the challenge. 

Stand up if you love city (I think it was) was probably the loudest

• Like 1

Stand up if you love city (I think it was) was probably the loudest

Love it!! It encourages others in the stadium to participate. 

Firstly well done to the capo and the few around him helping him out, did really well considering there was no megaphone. I've been chanting in active for years and i can definitely say that yesterday's first half was the best half I've ever been involved in. It was amazing. Especially the sha la la la where we were all bouncing up and down, the stand up if you love city and the ole call and response. The second half wasn't as good, i think a lot of us ran out of stamina as the first half took a lot out of us. We need to improve on that and be able to chant consistently for the full 90 minutes. The capo and Melburnians core are doing a fantastic job, its up to everyone else in active to join in and sing as loud as possible. Only negative i have is not introducing the chant that someone suggested to be our goal celebration song. That chant would work really well but then i understand its hard to introduce new chants and they need to be brought in slowly. And finally thank you for using the paartalu chant i suggested! Once everyone picks up on it, it will be amazing!

• Like 1