Melbourne Football

New Home End Name Submissions

Jimmy

Posted this in the new supporter group thread but seeing as this thread seem dedicated to the topic...

There's some pretty dodgy names getting thrown around, I'm not in active but I consider those that are a representation of the club and it's supporters at large. Because of this, what this group is called and how they behave (ie. chants, banners etc) has a big impact on how the club and it's supporters are perceived.

I'd like to see a name with as little cringe value as possible, and this is a good chance for active supporters to honor the clubs inaugural years.

"The Hearts" would be nice, simple, has heritage in terms of our club and IMO no cringe value.

And in essence the active support IS The Heart of Melbourne City FC as I see it.

As an aside, please don't use the name of or a variation of a pub name you happen to frequent now, I don't get the fetish some seem to have with the imp but hey, I suppose as some of you get older you'll realize that pubs/bars are pretty much all the same, they come and go and none of them really matter or give a shit about you, just so long as you keep the taps flowing.

Well it's not really my place to suggest as I am not from Melbourne. However having had a quick look at the history of Melbourne I was thinking about a name linked to the city.

As Melbourne was first built along  the shores of the Yarra River I was thinking something like Yarra River Core or Birrarrung (which is apparently the Aboriginal name for the Yarra River)

With the ball now rolling in regards to the new terrace we've decided it's time to choose our name.

We've decided that the best way to do this is to ask you guys - the active support community - to email any serious suggestions to melbournecityterrace@gmail.com and over the next week or so we'll go over the suggestions and short list a few that we like or are clearly popular and then we'll go from there. Whether we put it to a poll on the forum or survey monkey, hold a meeting where everyone can vote or decide internally are the things we're currently weighing up.

Don't feel like the name has to follow any set rules. It doesn't have to have something acknowledging Melbourne in it just for the sake of having it, but if it does then great. If it works it works basically. Also, if you like a name that's already been suggested on the forum then tell us so we can get a feel for what's popular.

Thanks.

MCT.

MCT1847

• Like 3

Well it's not really my place to suggest as I am not from Melbourne. However having had a quick look at the history of Melbourne I was thinking about a name linked to the city.

As Melbourne was first built along  the shores of the Yarra River I was thinking something like Yarra River Core or Birrarrung (which is apparently the Aboriginal name for the Yarra River)

Birrarung actually means "river bank" or "river of mists" in the language of the Wurundjeri people, the indigenous inhabitants of the lands where the City of Melbourne now is. We have a ceremony before one home game each season where a current elder of the Wurundjeri addresses the crowd and, in essence, gives her people's approval to our continued use of their traditional land.

IMO "Birrarung" would be a good name for the whole of the Southern End.

• Like 3