Melbourne Football

Michael Owen

heart_fan10

Guest stints cheapen the image of clubs and the league have proven to have negligible affect on crowds & publicty in the medium to long term after the deal expires.

From what I have read of Lyall Gorman speaking to WSW supporters, Owen was asking them for 5 million to come down under.

If it's anywhere near that figure for us (which I suspect it will be) it simply isn't worth it. As I said previously, I'm not a fan of the idea but if he comes it MUST be for a full season as a legitmate member of the squad.

• Like 4

Guest stints cheapen the image of clubs and the league have proven to have negligible affect on crowds & publicty in the medium to long term after the deal expires.

I generally agree, but I think Owen would be big enough to make it work. The short term boost in publicity and crowds would be really substantial, and I think it would do a lot for the public image of the club.

I generally agree, but I think Owen would be big enough to make it work. The short term boost in publicity and crowds would be really substantial, and I think it would do a lot for the public image of the club.

At, lets say, $100,000k a game (min), you think that we will make enough of a return on our investment to warrant tarnishing our 'philosophy' & 'brand'?

And for arguments sake, lets say he fits into the squad, are we willing to start the season with him and finish the campaign with out him? Because that turned out really well with Madaschi...

Well yeah money's definitely an issue. That's why I argued before against signing him unless 3rd parties were going to contribute. I certainly wouldn't waste the money we've earnt from our transfers on signing him. But otherwise, I'm not sure how signing a good footballer would be tarnishing the brand or the philosophy? He's one player on a short term contract. It doesn't have to impact whatever else the club does.

And Madaschi helped us to make the finals last year. We coudn't sign him for longer, but I'm glad he was here for the time he was. As far as I know, neither he or Owen takes a spot in the squad at the expense of someone else, and they can help us win games.

It's a theoretical debate, because it most likely wont happen, and probably never had much of a chance anyway. And I generally don't like the idea of getting someone in for 10 games. I really only like signing players who will be committed to the club. But a player like Owen for 10 games? Yeah, I'd do it in this case even if it does go against my broader 'philosophy'. :)

Playing devil's advocate here...how big of a drawcard do you think Michael Owen would actually be? I'd like to see the results of a survey...1000 people asked in Swanston Street 'Who is Michael Owen?...I think most of us would be surprised by the results. 'Michael who?'

There are just so many people in this town who have no interest in any sport whatsoever.

A guest stint are for hacks who cannot find a club.

Owen is no hack. His a professional footballer. Pros want to play week in week out.

My guess is Owen will follow drogba and chase the money in Asia or America.

A guest stint will only do harm to our club. No team in the a league has benefitted from such signing.

Remember Romario took up another players spot....and he was a laugh because he was so bad. I don't think they won many with him.

A guest stint are for hacks who cannot find a club.

Owen is no hack. His a professional footballer. Pros want to play week in week out.

My guess is Owen will follow drogba and chase the money in Asia or America.

A guest stint will only do harm to our club. No team in the a league has benefitted from such signing.

Remember Romario took up another players spot....and he was a laugh because he was so bad. I don't think they won many with him.

Damien Mori.

• Like 1

Damien Mori.

Didn't he get signed on a longer term contract following a guest stint. Plus the guest stint doubled as an injury replacement. I'm sure mori's wagers in no way represented that of a 'guest stint'. From memory did glory make the finals that year?

Mori's signing is Similar to our signing of Reid.....both 'guest / short term stints'.

I am referring to his two short term stints @ CCM and then Brisbane in 2007.

At CCM he scored 6 goals in 8 games and at Brisbane he scored 2 goals in 8 games, the point I am trying to make in his short time at both clubs he an impact on each club's ladder position.

Edited by cadete

just saw this on Wiki:

Current squad

• As of 17 July 2012

Note: Flags indicate national team as has been defined under FIFA eligibility rules. Players may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality.

No. Position Player 1 22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png GK Clint Bolton 2 22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png DF Michael Marrone 4 22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png DF Simon Colosimo 5 22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png MF Fred 6 22px-Flag_of_Liberia.svg.png MF Patrick Gerhardt 8 22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png MF Matt Thompson 9 22px-Flag_of_Croatia.svg.png FW Josip Tadić 10 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png FW Michael Owen 13 22px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png MF Jonatan Germano No. Position Player 14 22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png FW Golgol Mebrahtu 15 22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png FW David Williams 16 22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png DF Aziz Behich 17 22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png FW Jason Hoffman 18 22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png DF Curtis Good 19 22px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png DF Steven Gray 22 22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png MF Nick Kalmar 23 22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png MF Mate Dugandžić 30 22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png GK Andrew Redmayne

Look like he is our No# 10

Love Wiki

Edited by borris

FWIW, John Didulica has said again http://mhfcindex.com...with-new-squad/ that 'the club still had three positions to fill, all with very specific profiles in mind. Due to the fact we have already exhausted the five International Visas the new players will be Australian based signings.'

correct me if I'm wrong, which i probably am, knowing we have the 5 visas spots filled, is the 10-game guest player separate to that? can we have them filled plus have him there for 10 games?

Probably nothing but seemed worth a mention. An hour ago there was this tweet from a "Serie A correspondent for Vavel.com" Patrick Gullaci @pg2216 :

"Big news. Michael Owen has held talks with Melbourne Heart and says he's close to signing with a club. Could also remain in the EPL though."

Big news. Michael Owen has held talks with Melbourne Heart and says he's close to signing with a club. Could also remain in the EPL though.

— Patrick Gullaci (@pgullaci)

July 21, 2012