Melbourne Football

Josip Tadic Thread

jw1739

not sure if this kingofhearts guy is srs or is just stupid.

"never seen him win a header" - erm, that header which almost resulted in a goal about 30 mins in?

"...or a contested ball" - what about the contested ball he achieved two weeks ago against perth to set up gol gol? or any of the other times he's successfully got us forward when our midfielders can't?

• Like 1

"never seen him win a header" - erm, that header which almost resulted in a goal about 30 mins in?

"...or a contested ball" - what about the contested ball he achieved two weeks ago against perth to set up gol gol? or any of the other times he's successfully got us forward when our midfielders can't?

I accept that he does do some nice things in regards to passing, touch ext but i just don't get that feeling of a pure out and out striker. Hes score one goal out of open play this year. When you look at players like heskey, berisha and even smeltz these are players that are constantly scoring goals left right and center. Tadic seems to give out more goal assists than goals. I would still like him on the field, just not as a striker. D-mac is probably better than him

I accept that he does do some nice things in regards to passing, touch ext but i just don't get that feeling of a pure out and out striker. Hes score one goal out of open play this year. When you look at players like heskey, berisha and even smeltz these are players that are constantly scoring goals left right and center. Tadic seems to give out more goal assists than goals. I would still like him on the field, just not as a striker. D-mac is probably better than him

You have a right to your opinion.

I just simply don't agree with anything you have said about him.

His role means he is sometimes the lone striker who has to hold up and pass. I unlike you have never seen him lose a 50/50 ball, his touch and vision is elite and he knows how to score. His penalty finish was pure class.

If he is given chances around the box, he will score. Does a lot of thankless work.

• Like 2

His role means he is sometimes the lone striker who has to hold up and pass. I unlike you have never seen him lose a 50/50 ball, his touch and vision is elite and he knows how to score. His penalty finish was pure class.

If he is given chances around the box, he will score. Does a lot of thankless work.

I said exactly this to a couple of the lads yesterday, anyone who thinks the Number Nine in our formation is all about scoring needs to prob do a bit of reading on Soccer Tactics.

I said exactly this to a couple of the lads yesterday, anyone who thinks the Number Nine in our formation is all about scoring needs to prob do a bit of reading on Soccer Tactics.

Exactly.

We either play three up front with Josip the focal point in setting up attacks or he is a lone striker holding up play. If we played a 442 formation I would expect goals from him, but we simply don't.

I fail to see anyone better playing this role in the league.

As I said in the Jets thread, why not a 4-2-3-1 with Tadic behind DMac? The German national team often play this formation and with the number of long balls we pump forward, I think DMac holds the ball up a bit better. Would be interesting to see. I am a huge Tadic fan and he is so much stronger with the ball on the deck. Let the bigger unit do the grunt aerial work and feed him. I know there are a lot of people who don't think the two of them should be on the pitch together, but the only time I've seen it was with Tadic on the wing - not his natural position. I'd like to see if it would work out of curiosity.

Is he any worse than our non functioning midfield? We are not capable of playing out from the back and in most of our games our long ball count is close to 20% of our passes with our midfield being bypassed. Tadic and Garcia are the only guys in our squad who can provide the killer through ball as we don't have a functioning AM. Edwards may be the solution, but to ask Tadic to do the aerial work as well as setting up is a big ask. Newcastle play a similar style to us. I was watching the game on Tuesday and watched Heskey. As maligned as he is, he was solid in the air and if he had a guy like Tadic at his feet they would be lethal. I know this will draw harsh criticism but I think it would be worth looking at.

What I see is Tadic growing into his role with every game. Sure, he's not scoring from open play, but he came within a whisker of doing that on Tuesday. He's reliable from the spot - and we need that - and twice he's put Golly in with slide-rule perfection passes. These two read each other very well indeed.

And he's doing everything with a pretty crappy midfield behind him.

I hope we can keep Josip for another couple of seasons.

• Like 4

As I said in the Jets thread, why not a 4-2-3-1 with Tadic behind DMac? The German national team often play this formation and with the number of long balls we pump forward, I think DMac holds the ball up a bit better. Would be interesting to see. I am a huge Tadic fan and he is so much stronger with the ball on the deck. Let the bigger unit do the grunt aerial work and feed him. I know there are a lot of people who don't think the two of them should be on the pitch together, but the only time I've seen it was with Tadic on the wing - not his natural position. I'd like to see if it would work out of curiosity.

It's less about the actual nominal formation than it is about the way that we play the formation. Although we play a nominal 4-3-3 Tadic is often isolated up front and his job is to hold up the ball, a job that he does very well. GolGol runs very well off him and he's the most accurate passer of diagonal defence splitting balls in our team. In that way he is playing the role that he would play in a 4-2-3-1 as a central striker. Our improvement needs to occur with:

speed of transition and runs off the ball

ball speed

runs off the ball when we are counter-attacking

movement off the ball and diagonal balls when we have possession.

Final balls to Tadic that at the moment are too inaccurate.

I'm not sure whether we have the players in strategic positions to fix this

I'm suggesting DMac up front as an old school number 10, holding the ball up and feeding a line of Gol Gol/ Tadic/Garcia. And for all of the criticism of DMac, when he's on the pitch he's playing with passion and having a red hot go. He knows he's near the end of his career and is sucking the marrow out of it. You can't call him listless. As a fan I'd rather see people have a crack than some of the performances dished up recently.

• Like 1

I'm suggesting DMac up front as an old school number 10, holding the ball up and feeding a line of Gol Gol/ Tadic/Garcia. And for all of the criticism of DMac, when he's on the pitch he's playing with passion and having a red hot go. He knows he's near the end of his career and is sucking the marrow out of it. You can't call him listless. As a fan I'd rather see people have a crack than some of the performances dished up recently.

First of all, hes not a 'number 10', i'll assume you mean number 9 or a target man. Im not questioning his heart or passion, im questioning his ability, and it has been proven numerous times that hes not up to A-League standard as a first XI player. ANYONE that considers him as a legitime option as a starting striker has no idea, to put him on the field ahead of Tadic is ridiculous or to suggest Tadic should be moved out wide or behind DMac is just as stupid.

• Like 1

Ps actually read what I've written. What you are criticising is not what was suggested. It is possible to play an old school centre forward with a striker either behind or in front of him. Man U and Man City seem to do it well. I also like the adage "never criticise without providing a solution". Please regale us with how to improve our goal scoring options.

Leading the Club's goal-scoring charts and chiming in with a handful of assists so far this season, Melbourne Heart FC’s Croatian sensation Josip Tadic has been instrumental this season.

While the Red and White have endured a bumpy ride of late, Tadic believes Heart can build on the momentum from its New Year’s Day win over Newcastle Jets, starting with this Sunday’s match against Brisbane Roar, to secure two wins on the trot.

Despite the mercury soaring towards the 40 Celsius mark at Heart’s training session this morning, Tadic believes preparation ahead of Sunday’s showdown, coupled with Tuesday’s result, has helped breed confidence in the Heart camp.

“After our last game, which we won, we have big confidence before the game against Brisbane,” Tadic said.

The former Croatian under-21 international, who is more suited to playing football in the European winter, admitted he need to adapt to the warm conditions of the A-League season.

“It’s hot a lot. It’s hot more than in Europe, so I need to get used to it,” Tadic said.

“We feel good; we had a day off yesterday so we pulled up good and today we had an easy session; we’re preparing and we’ll be fresh for the game.

“It’s the first time that I’ve come here and it’s hot like this.”

Tadic, who has scored four goals this season, including three from the penalty spot and a sensational volley against Western Sydney Wanderers, said his team had pinpointed the Jets game as an important match to reignite its campaign.

“We said to each other that in this New Year we start over from nothing and we need to win all of the games that we play,” Tadic said.

“So the first game against Jets we played well and we won, so it’s a good start to the year so we just need to continue and have good confidence.”

After featuring in 13 of Heart’s 14 matches, Tadic said he had time to adjust to the A-League.

“It’s good [the level], it’s difficult, a lot of running, it’s not easy to play and every weekend you have a hard game,” Tadic said.

“It’s not like some places in Europe where you have five good teams and then every two weeks you play against a small team and you can say it’s an easy game.

“Here every weekend here it’s a hard game.”

“We have still a lot of chance to get in the finals, there is not such a big difference in points so if you get good results, we can make it.”

Tadic also praised new striking partner Golgol Mebrahtu who has netted three goals in five matches for the Heart.

“It is easy to play when you have good players near to you. Golgol is a great player and is still young and has a lot of time [tom improve further].”

:wub:

Edited by LR9
  • Like 1

Lets cut the crap, he's not there to lay off a 3m pass to set up a goal anyone can do that.

He's there to score goals.

Not physical enough, not quick enough, not skilful enough. Obviously related to didiluca.

Doesn't bury chances, eg victory no gk still fluffed it. Trips over the ball consistently, gets out muscled etc etc send him to state 2. Would prefer dmac.

Hi, and maycon at Clapton tip together

Josip Tadic is probably the greatest player to have graced the A-League TBH. Hopefully (doubtful) we can hold onto him for another season so we can see his best under a competent manager, getting good service, etc.

This is a joke right? Greatest player to grace a league...

Josip Tadic is probably the greatest player to have graced the A-League TBH. Hopefully (doubtful) we can hold onto him for another season so we can see his best under a competent manager, getting good service, etc.

This is a joke right? Greatest player to grace a league...

what have you got against him? you have said he is a hack in a couple threads now? he is quality

Lets cut the crap, he's not there to lay off a 3m pass to set up a goal anyone can do that.

Not physical enough, not quick enough, not skilful enough. Obviously related to didiluca.

Doesn't bury chances, eg victory no gk still fluffed it. Trips over the ball consistently, gets out muscled etc etc send him to state 2. Would prefer dmac.

Hi, and maycon at Clapton tip together

Obvious troll is obvious.

Anyone can do that, but how many do? I don't see Fred or Hoffman with the same through ball passing ability.

Leading goal scorer for Heart this season. Can bury a penalty.

• Like 3

Ps actually read what I've written. What you are criticising is not what was suggested. It is possible to play an old school centre forward with a striker either behind or in front of him. Man U and Man City seem to do it well. I also like the adage "never criticise without providing a solution". Please regale us with how to improve our goal scoring options.

I'm not saying its impossible to play an number 9 upfront with a striking partner, I'm saying playing dmac as a first xi player will not improve our chances one bit. To put it simply hes not up to a league standard as a first xi player and never was, and never will be.

Our problem is not the front 3, it's the midfield 3 who have all struggled for form/fitness this season, Thompson, Fred, kalmar, germano, grella and hoff (who is player who shouldn't even be a option as a centre mid). The midfield 3 haven't functioned at all which limits the impact in the final third. That's what the problem is and the only way to fix it is a player clean out at the end of the season or to have germano and grella fully fit and cam Edwards to be a ready made first xi player which is unlikely IMO.

It all comes down to poor recruitment and player management.

Does Mcbreen get them on a plate? He busts his chops for 90 mins harassing etc. keeps defenders on toes different players but end of day effective.

Give me one defensive pairing in league that would be frightened of Tadic?

Against Brisbane his 1 decent game, the whole team showed heart 0 respect. Week after he struggled to get a touch.

Watch him today when gerhardt or collosimo has the ball, moves too late or not at all. ( will probably score a hat trick :))

Quite surprised he is held in high regard, has nothing on Eli from last year.