Melbourne Football

Sack Holger Osieck Now Before It's Too Late

drcolossus1

I have sat back and watched this muppet get praise for winning games against nobodies and when we get thumped the general population tends to think its ok because he says in the after match interview "The boys have learned a lot from this and we are definitely on track" And the Australian public fall for this! WTF PEOPLE.

Leading to a world cup where he knows that the majority of the "Golden age" socceroos will not make it, who has he started to blood for coverage? Spira? 0 games this season in the J League. Kruse? Doesn't make the bench for his then division 2 German league team. And that's about it.

He than decides its a good idea to bring back Archie, definitely best years behind him. And North, don't get me started on him.

The back 4 are so rigid I feel sorry for our midfield. They get nothing from them at all. Yeah, it's good to have a sold CB, we have that in Ogg but the rest? How good was Zullo when he was in the team, making runs, mixing it up. Not saying that he is an answer for the issues but we definitely need more attacking wing backs.

On another note, Tommy Oar, played 16 games in top flight Holland this year, played some absolute crackers at under 20 world cup last year and scored, doesn't even get a call from the coach. He is someone that WILL be playing in Brazil.

The way I see it, Carney has pictures of Oar sleeping with Holgers wife. He has given copies to spira, north and Neill and they are black mailing Holger.

This can be the only explanation.....

• Like 1

Sack him is a bit much, AFAIC He has all the qualities of a good manager; Man management, tactics, so on, except for picking a fucking team.

When we play Japan on tuesday it will be exactly 6 years to the day since we beat them in the 2006 World Cup and it feels like we'll be sending out the exact same squad to play them this time.

IMO Kruse showed more in his 15 minutes then kewell, wilkshire and brosque combined. Should without a doubt be starting regardless of how much game time he gets in Germany.

Just going off the top of my head we started that game with 2 people in their late 20's, 8 people in their 30's and one in his 40's! That's just stupid. We don't need to play the olyroo's squad or anything, I understand we have to get to Brazil. But we have to be injecting at least some of Oar, Milligan, Leckie, Herd, Ryan, Troisi, Langerak, Lowry, Davidson, McGowan, Babalj, etc, etc..

How the fuck Carney, Thompson and North get in these squads baffles me. All that needs to happen is that old Frank needs to have a quiet word to him and tell him to blood some of the next generation or he's out.

If I ever see Archie Thompson in another Soceroos squad I will be astonished. He is a 33 year old A-League player who has barely scored a goal anywhere outside Australia and he is given a game over Leckie who is playing in the Bundesliga and might actually be around for the 2014 WC. It is a joke that blokes like Oar and Herd aren't getting a look in either. These guys are playing in Europe and over the hill A-League players are getting games ahead of them, give me a break.

So many poor selections in both squads and matchday XI in qualifying. The failure to transition to the likes of Leckie, Oar, Bulut, Herd, Lowry, etc over the past 18 months will be our downfall. If we make the next World Cup we will surely be the oldest squad to ever compete in the tournament if things stay as they are.

Embarassing that we continually rely on our physical presence to get us through games in Asia instead of utilizing the young technically proficient players that Holger has at his disposal but refuses to use.

Kruse was good when he come on, but to put it into perspective, everyone else had just played 75 minutes in 40 degree heat. If he hadn't looked good being fresh I would say he should never play again for the socceroos (maybe harsh).

Again, for the life of me I can't understand why he didn't use all 3 subs in such horrendous conditions.

As for stategy, I don't think in the entire 90 min we changed at all. Only changes were the 2 subs who come on and each brings something different.

For me, we had the midfield correct with the exception of Wilkshire. He should be at right back for us.

Either Neill or Ogg - Gone.

Consign Carney to the pages of history, never to play for us again.

Believe it or not, I'm happy with brosque and hk up front. A rotation system with Kennedy would be good.

I think with Holman still to come back, he will end up filling either the right midfield position or as a forward.

Bresc need to be further up the park. Due to the crap coming out of the back, he was nearly playing a DM position instead of AM.

He should have been sacked on the spot when he named Thompson and North in the squad TBH.

The bit that stumps me is that he is still picking Schwarzer over Langerak, Federici and even Ryan.

Not sure if srs.

• Like 5

If I ever see Archie Thompson in another Soceroos squad I will be astonished. He is a 33 year old A-League player who has barely scored a goal anywhere outside Australia and he is given a game over Leckie who is playing in the Bundesliga and might actually be around for the 2014 WC. It is a joke that blokes like Oar and Herd aren't getting a look in either. These guys are playing in Europe and over the hill A-League players are getting games ahead of them, give me a break.

How many goals has Leckie scored outside Australia ?

I compared australia v oman and Japan v Jordan, The biggest difference was that jJapan actually attacked, Australia leads by goofus neil decided to pass teh ball around the back four for the majority of the match. Kewell was shit, besciano was good.

See, this is it. We generally get decent defense out of the back but the thing is, none of them can attack or set up an attack.

Most plays start from the back and with no decent distribution, we are pretty much pushing shit up hill.

It's similar to Hearts play actually. We do have very good wing backs but Colosimo in particular holds the ball up far too long, and this lets the opposition set themselves. I also noticed that towards the end of the season Good was doing this too. Not a good habit for him to pick up. It may be one of the reasons that the Newcastle move didn't go through.

Australia needs a ball playing defender to change the play to attack as soon as he gets the ball. This gives our midfield a chance to have some room to set something up.

I compared australia v oman and Japan v Jordan, The biggest difference was that jJapan actually attacked, Australia leads by goofus neil decided to pass teh ball around the back four for the majority of the match. Kewell was shit, besciano was good.

One was played in 40 degree heat the other was Japans 2nd home game in a row big difference

Socceroos have a very tough start to our campaign. Don't worry about Archie, he won't make the Brazil 2014 squad. Those who are calling for Schwarzer's head didn't you see his save in the second half. We need to get behind out boys, even if they contain a couple of Victory boys.

The bit that stumps me is that he is still picking Schwarzer over Langerak, Federici and even Ryan.

I kind of half agree to the extent that I don't think a forty year old should be selected over youngsters who we're trying to mould for a better future national team. But on the other hand he's the goalkeeper, unlike a centre back who needs to get used to working with different teammates it really shouldn't be that much of a big deal to change goalies once Schwarzer retires (i could be completely wrong about this, i'm not a goalkeeper).

Bottom line - He's still our best goalkeeper, so he should be picked.

As for Thompson/Carney/North/Neill.. and not selecting Troisi....FFS Holger get your shit straight

Edited by Che

I kind of half agree to the extent that I don't think a forty year old should be selected over youngsters who we're trying to mould for a better future national team.

Age shouldnt matter, whoever is best should play. Especially when we are at risk of not qualifying for the WC.

Bottom line - He's still our best goalkeeper, so he should be picked.

This

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Bumping this thread as I came across something interesting tonight, going by current statistics, Holger is actually the greatest manager Australia has ever had.

Has the best record of any Socceroos manager who wasnt a caretaker according to the statistics on Wiki which go back to 1965. Les Scheinflug has a slightly better record if you add his games as caretaker manager to his record, but for his period as the actual manager its not better than Holger.

Bumping this thread as I came across something interesting tonight, going by current statistics, Holger is actually the greatest manager Australia has ever had.

Has the best record of any Socceroos manager who wasnt a caretaker according to the statistics on Wiki which go back to 1965. Les Scheinflug has a slightly better record if you add his games as caretaker manager to his record, but for his period as the actual manager its not better than Holger.

He's still a cunt.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

People saying that Ange should be socceroos coach but there is no way that his system would work. He would get the game time or training time to have the players playing his style.

I'd be happy with someone local but probably not Arnold. Been there, done that. I know it goes against every molecule of my aussie conscious but we could do worse than pinch Herbert from NZ.

People saying that Ange should be socceroos coach but there is no way that his system would work. He would get the game time or training time to have the players playing his style.

I'd be happy with someone local but probably not Arnold. Been there, done that. I know it goes against every molecule of my aussie conscious but we could do worse than pinch Herbert from NZ.

Arnold is a vastly more experienced coach than he was last time at the helm of the socceroos. I reckon he deserves a proper shot.

And I honestly don't believe that Ange has a set in stone 'system' at all, or not one that couldn't be easily translated to the soceroos anyway. If he does, his system is just smart recruiting and logical tactics to suit his players.

Ange is much better suited to Club Coaching where he can source his own players to play particular roles, with the limited pool that u have for a NT you dont often get that luxury a lot of the time the style your side plays is a lot more directed by the cattle you have at your disposal.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

I wanna see Langarak get some game time not a 40 year old all the time. I really rate Mitch and when he has kept for Borussia he has done very well and I know this might get some people angry here but I honostly don't think Schwarz is that much better than Mitch if at all. I don't wanna see people like Galekovic getting caps when we have a very talented keeper that needs to experience playing for his country more becuase he is our next keeper.

As for Archie, pffft I honostly don't know how he gets game time. If Archie and Neil are in the squad for the WC, I am going to be furious. We need a new coach, let's get Guus back he will fix us up by 2014.

• 3 months later...

Jorvan Vieira is the man to get the job done, 2 months with Iraq in the midst of a war and he leads them to Asian Cup glory. Unfortunately for us he's currently P:7 W:7 for Zamalek in the Egyptian. He should've got the job in 2007 after the Asian Cup, now we're stuck with Holger until he misses qualification.

• Like 1

Jorvan Vieira is the man to get the job done, 2 months with Iraq in the midst of a war and he leads them to Asian Cup glory. Unfortunately for us he's currently P:7 W:7 for Zamalek in the Egyptian. He should've got the job in 2007 after the Asian Cup, now we're stuck with Holger until he misses qualification.

We can dream... could surely be persuaded to leave unstable Egypt for lovely north-shore Sydney penthouse

Edited by Che

• 6 months later...