Melbourne Football

2012-13 Membership

hakz7

We had a bit of discussion about a month or so ago on the merit of signing big name players and the effect on membership numbers.

Whilst big name signings may or may not boost memberships I would like to ask in the light of Del Piero signing for Sydney, what are you most anticipating our (Hearts) squad and season or, seeing Del Piero play in person?

Let's just say that in the office this week it's been all about ADP. AFL fans taking about it. It's not rocket science. Most of Sydney fc corporate boxes have almost been sold out.

This is true. I have had loads of people come up to me at work and ask "I heard about this Italian guy coming here to play soccer. Who is he?" to which my reply has been something like "It is pretty similar to someone with the status of Michael Jordan coming to play for the Melbourne Tigers" "Wow, so its a pretty big deal then?"... "ummmmm, yeah"

It has certainly got people interested. We can only wait and see the type of impact he will make on the pitch, but what makes Del Piero such a great signing is his personality. What he does off the field is more likely to maintain non-soccer people's interest than what he does on the field- an area where Kewell failed miserably. Can only dream of a signing like Del Piero, but the problem is there isnt another like him... there's only one Del Piero!

I do believe (if we were in a position to obviously) signing a proper big name with a big personality would do wonders for memberships, but I think in our circumstances we are going about things the right way. We are not in a position to sign anyone that would be of enough interest outside soccer circles to make significant long term impact.

We have a CEO who does not believe in the 'marquee.' IMO this is an impediment to our development. I fully understand the need for prudence in the finances of the club, but of all the clubs in the league I see us as the one that needs something to stimulate interest from the community. The warm and fuzzies of 'Coach the Coach' and Community Festivals are fine, but the hard facts are that our memberships and attendances are way below the original predictions for the second Melbourne club. Even the WSW situation in Sydney is not the same as ours, because WSW have a geographic identity whereas we do not.

IMO we are ripe for a marquee player. In a week in which we are trying to make a big thing of 'hosting the VPL Grand Final' the Del Piero signing made the ABC Radio News headlines.

In the longer team the philosophies that lie behind Melbourne Heart are all good, but in the short term...sorry Scott, but we need a boost.

Heart tried to sign Michael Owen, but it seemed to be a far too expensive proposition. The fact is Sydney were very lucky with ADP, with European clubs offering 4 to 5 times as much money, ADP not being interested in moving to Asia (unlike other big names, e.g. Drogba and Anelka) and the MLS not being an option because ADP was only interested in playing for LA Galaxy.

The simple fact is most big name players will take one of the many options that ADP overlooked before agreeing to move to Sydney. Also, like Owen, most big names in football price themselves outside of A-League clubs' price range. That is why the richest clubs, Sydney and Victory, are the only clubs to have signed proper marquees.

Heart are going about things just fine, IMO. I think Western Sydney don't need a marquee primarily because they have a massive football market (I understand Western Sydney is the region with the most registered footballers in Australia), with their geographical identity only being a secondary factor. Melbourne has been a more fickle market for association football than many expected, with only so many people supporting Heart ATM, but I think Heart just need to get the fundamentals right. Heart finished 8th in their first season and 6th in their second, which is a much bigger factor explaining Heart's crowds and membership numbers than Heart's absence of a marquee IMO. Also, in the A-League I reckon it's pretty relative which players pull a crowd,and footballers don't need a name recognized worldwide to pull a crowd in the A-League. Flores draws a crowd and builds up hype despite him not being a big name in football globally. If Tadic or even Garcia have a big season I reckon that could be just as valuable as splashing a few million on a marquee player (and much better value for money).

If Heart take care of the football the crowds and membership numbers will take care of themselves. It is a less showy approach than using a marquee, but I reckon it's the right approach to take.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 3

It has certainly got people interested. We can only wait and see the type of impact he will make on the pitch, but what makes Del Piero such a great signing is his personality. What he does off the field is more likely to maintain non-soccer people's interest than what he does on the field- an area where Kewell failed miserably. Can only dream of a signing like Del Piero, but the problem is there isnt another like him... there's only one Del Piero!

Spot on. ADP is a brilliant signing and it should have benefits for all clubs. But he's an exception.

Agree. We have nowhere near the money Sydney FC has to spend on international marquees.

Gotta pretty much agree. But here's the interesting thing. We know that AAMI is pretty much full for the Melbourne derby. What crowd is gonna turn up for our match against SFC on 24 Feb 13 next year? What if we get say 15,000? The extras have turned up for ADP and these probably don't usually go to HAL games. Great chance to covert a few to MH. Only dreamin' ADP coming to Oz is a great marketing opportunity for the rest of the HAL teams.

And just to add to my previous post, here are some thoughts from Peter Wilt founding general manager of MLS Chicago Fire in current 442 online:

"Package ticket sales 

Fans may not like this but A-League teams should leverage their Sydney FC game tickets by packaging them with admission to other games. If you want to be assured a ticket, or at least a good ticket, to see ADP you must buy a ticket to one or more other games. There will be many casual fans that just want to see ADP. By packaging tickets, teams will increase attendances at other games and have a better chance of converting attendees at the Sydney FC match into fans of the home team."

Gotta pretty much agree. But here's the interesting thing. We know that AAMI is pretty much full for the Melbourne derby. What crowd is gonna turn up for our match against SFC on 24 Feb 13 next year? What if we get say 15,000? The extras have turned up for ADP and these probably don't usually go to HAL games. Great chance to covert a few to MH. Only dreamin' ADP coming to Oz is a great marketing opportunity for the rest of the HAL teams.

I reckon the ADP factor will be all but gone by the time we play Sydney at home. Plus all the theater goers who wanna see him will go to the game against the mongs in January. It's earlier and git the whole "Big Blue" factor.

It's a shame we don't play Sydney at home earlier.

• Like 1

Got mine. They did better with the fridge magnet this time, I can actually see the teams names without squinting!

Badge looks good but lanyard is of the 'El Cheapo' variety. Doesn't really matter though as I don't use it during the season.

I know that we knew that it didn't include one going from the membership brochure but I was hoping that they would throw something extra in for foundation members (Scarf or key ring etc). Oh well, I know things are tight, so as long as we win it all this year then all's forgiven ;-)

Did you's get an email saying it's been dispatched before getting it? Because I saw on facebook that the club said they've all been sent out but I've got no email.

Relax Jimmy. I checked with the membership hotline. They have not all been sent out and batches will continue to be sent out for the rest of this week, and next week.

If you're worried about it call 1300ALLHEART and give them your membership number(s) and they'll tell you what the situation is.

Edited by jw1739

Really don't get people getting so excited/worried about when their membership is coming when there is still over a month before our first home game. Don't give a fuck when mine comes as long as it's here before round 1.

True, but if it comes after the open day which you have been able to get to after all, then you might feel a bit ripped off that you paid $10.00 for nothing. But regardless, a valid point in the long run.

Really don't get people getting so excited/worried about when their membership is coming when there is still over a month before our first home game. Don't give a fuck when mine comes as long as it's here before round 1.

It is just something to quell the anticipation before the season starts more than anything.

I just desperately need a new lanyard / Foundation member badge.