Melbourne Football

Games thread

DutchPride

So I got home from work yesterday and sat down to play a few games of FIFA 11 on my PS3 (yes thats the last FIFA I bought) After a few minutes the console turns itself off and the red light starts blinking. I left it and did other shit.

Came home today, same thing. Reading a few forums and it would seem this is a common problem (even for people who have bought brand new ones) that has started occurring since the last system "update", which strangely enough happened roughly around the same time as the PS4 was released. Have yet to find a solution around this. Anyone have any suggestions?

That sucks, I recently took my xb1 in and got a ps4. I hope this doesn't happen to me.

Do the posts you read point to a solution at all?

Have the others tried to hard reset the console? 

Have you tried loading it up with/without a disk in the drive? Try unplugging any external drives from the console on startup. 

If you haven't already, unplug the power cable from the console for a few mins and plug it back in. 

As long as you can get it to the dashboard, you can make a backup of your data onto a drive and go out buy another ps3. You'll then be able to restore your data from the external drive and keep your fifa going.

Keep in mind that if Sony don't fix this, and it is indeed caused by a software/firmware issue that was pushed out from them, then they will have to try and reimburse every user that it's effected. You might not get a new PS4 out of it but instead a 100 dollar Sony voucher or so.

I have yet to find anyone who has a solution to it. I could probably find one if I kept digging but tbh it's probably a good thing. One less distraction. It's served me well over the years but might be time to let it go peacefully into the night. Farewell my friend.

Anyone else here a fan of the Telltale game series?

Really enjoyed 'Walking Dead' and the 'Wolf Among us' and have bought the first episodes of both 'Tales from the Borderlands' and 'Game of Thrones', quality stuff as usual.

Played both the Walking Dead and the Wolf among and was just amazed at how good they were. IMO i thought the wolf among us was the better game, but both games were quality. Haven't played either of the other 2 but i'll probably end up giving them a go.

Also, i know i'm extremely late to the party but i finally got around to playing Wolfienstien and wow the game just blew me away. Probably the best game i've played this year imo

• Like 1

Been thrashing NBA 2K15 lately + PES. Took about 2 weeks to get over FIFA. Will not buy ever again unless they completely overhaul the game engine.

Yeah, I'm absolutely done with FIFA. They've been fucking around for years and it's not really funny anymore, hopefully PES takes a step up and forces them to respond. Haven't picked up PES yet, are there many good datapacks out for it yet?

Also been thrashing 2K15 which is much improved from last years edition, which they made a bit of a mess of in my opinion. The Next gen GM mode is pretty in-depth.

Plenty.

The game plays as if scripted for one. For example, when playing the CPU, if the game decides you're going to get done by a 90th minute goal, however you decide to try and hold your lead you'll concede it; your defenders will got to water, unable to string together a pass longer than 4 yards and physically incapable of making a tackle. If you manage to clear the ball for a corner, guaranteed it's going in off the set play. I find that the game is repetitive and predictable, lacking the 'randomness' that a  real football match gives you. Shooting from the same areas with the right power just about always ends with similar results.

Also, little bullshit stuff that may not matter to some, but matters to me. Can't adjust players kits depending on the weather, why can't I give a bloke short sleeves in summer and long in rain? How hard is that? If the player isn't built that way I can't change it for some reason. But whatever, I can get over that. But if I decide to edit the players boots he looses all his kit settings anyway and goes to short sleeves all the time, that's been happening for like 4 years, never fixed it. The laziness of updating player faces is ridiculous too, some players have had the same faces for years despite aging or distinctive hair cut changes.

Also, find the focus on the multiplayer aspect rather than correcting/improving the manager mode to be extremely frustrating (this is becoming a problem with games in general, but FIFA's been a massive culprit for a few years now). As Polak has pointed out, career mode is bland and boring and I tire of it quickly. Not only is it bland, but transfers and fixturing are broken, leading to scenarios where I've played 3 games in 4 days and seen some of the stupidest transfers ever. There's also the whole "One of your players will refuse to sign a deal and ask to fuck off every season" factor.

PES has issues with it too, but I find it to be a better footballing game than FIFA when you take into account it's gameplay and career mode options. FIFA gets a lot of love because of how slick it looks in my opinion. As I've probably stated in this thread, I don't really play PES either, mainly sticking to FM. But I absolutely hate FIFA.

Edited by King Malta
  • Like 2

I agree about career mode, its pretty boring after a few seasons. I really loved those "mission" type games where you had to play classic games in history and do different shit eg. Score 3 goals with defenders, keep 70% possession. Cant remember what year that was but it was fucking awesome. 

• Like 1

I agree about career mode, its pretty boring after a few seasons. I really loved those "mission" type games where you had to play classic games in history and do different shit eg. Score 3 goals with defenders, keep 70% possession. Cant remember what year that was but it was fucking awesome. 

Yeah, that sort of stuff was awesome, a little variation like that would help. I just find they spend so much time focusing on the whole online factor now that if you don't enjoy that sort of stuff (like me) then you don't really get much out of the game.

• Like 2

So I played a few games of FIFA15 (just against the AI), and honestly the game play feels much improved. Obviously after more play, and after playing online, I'll probably notice some issues with things that are overpowered and exploited as well as goal scoring positions that always end in goals etc., but my first impression of the gameplay is that it's quite good and actually feels a lot more like real football. One thing I've already noticed though, it seems really easy to get a through ball out wide to an open player making a run.

I understand what you guys are saying about them not improve it enough year on year to justify buying it every year, and I wouldnt have bought 15 if it wasn't for getting the new console. It's also good that people are giving PES a go as a little competition could go a long way to FIFA improving.

Having said that, FIFA is like the whole point of owning a console. Gaming on PC is cheaper, and arguably better. The whole point of console is to play those super mainstream games like FIFA, COD, etc., because it's great for when you have mates over or just to play online as those games have more players on console. So I'd probably always play FIFA regardless of how shit it is, as long as it maintains it's popularity. That's what console is about. That's why I got a PS4 instead of an Xbox One, I think Xbox One is the better console but PS4 has more than double the sales , and that's the most important thing, the size of the player base. Same reason I got the new COD today. The very concept of shooting games on console is retarded, whoever first decided to make a shooting game on console should be shot. And all the people that decided to play shooting games on console and create a market also deserve to be shot. And really, COD is a shit game in comparison to other FPS games, but it's actually that shitness that's made it popular and that popularity is what makes it worth buying/playing. Requires very little skill which means everyone can pick it up, point and shoot and get kills. No need to worry about actually being able to aim, controlling recoil, etc. I'm not sure a FPS that actually required skill would even be viable on console. Actually trying to aim, control recoil, etc. with a controller would be fucked.

TLDR: Console is all about playing popular, social games. Quality of gameplay isn't actually that relevant.

What's the go with the psn plus shit. I have a 14 day trial but in regard to buying it I know you can buy like a card from shops for 12months or whatever but what about like the cards you can buy that gave $50 credit, can you use those for buying the subscription? Just cause I think I can get those under face value.

That's a fucking good question, you might have to go about it that way from the website rather than the console. log in online and see if you can redeem credit.

Alternatively, you may be able to use the pre paid visa/mastercard cards to purchase live.

I know the PS wallet is accessible and you're able to top up funds either from your debit/credit card or prepaid psn card. so this should technically work. 

Msg me your ps name.

I know the PS wallet is accessible and you're able to top up funds either from your debit/credit card or prepaid psn card. so this should technically work.

Yes, i'm 95% sure it would work, don't see any reason why it wouldn't. You buy it through the store, the credit is for the store.

• Like 1

My psn was hacked. Fuckers tried to buy some WWE dlc shit with my account :S
Luckily i removed my stored card info a few years back after psn itself was hacked.

Probably going to sell fifa 15 on ps4 while it's still worth something.

Just got smash bros for wii u.

It's fantastic except for the online matchmaking, which is extremely poor. 90+% of my opponents tonight had Japanese usernames.

Lag made game unplayable online, a real shame. If it isn't at least acknowledged soon I will be looking to sell it on as well.

Gave Bayonetta 2 a go for Wii U. Thought I'd try something new. Made me laugh at how ridiculous it is, but still not really my thing. Going to sell also.

EDIT: I was playing much earlier tonight, from about 9pm-midnight

Edited by CJ_1337

I finished bayonetta on the ps3... only to finish the campaign. Got rid of it shortly after that. 

What do you want for Fifa15?

I have Shadow of Mordor sitting there at home, been busy catching up on Destiny. The DLC is well worth it. I'm on level 28 and counting.

Why are they targeting Sony?

Beside defending what exactly do you hate about FIFA??

I actually enjoy defending. My biggest hatred is the inability to effectively play possession style football. You literally have no chance of winning a game of FIFA unless you only go forward unlike in PES where it's more about unlocking holes in your opposition slowly by moving the ball around and waiting for the right run. Also believe that the player movement on PES is much more realistic.

At the end of the day, the people I know who play FIFA aren't usually interested in soccer while everyone I know who plays PES is a fanatic like myself.

• Like 2

Beside defending what exactly do you hate about FIFA??

I actually enjoy defending. My biggest hatred is the inability to effectively play possession style football. You literally have no chance of winning a game of FIFA unless you only go forward unlike in PES where it's more about unlocking holes in your opposition slowly by moving the ball around and waiting for the right run. Also believe that the player movement on PES is much more realistic.

At the end of the day, the people I know who play FIFA aren't usually interested in soccer while everyone I know who plays PES is a fanatic like myself.

I have never played pes so obviously cant say too much there, only got into fifa originally cause the little brother wanted it

Years past I would agree with you that the only way to be successful is to go full steam offensive and you can still pick the shit cunts who use the quickest players and play ultra defensive and counter attacking. Im actually finding ways to break down other teams through passing.

and I agree with you on defending, I dont think its as bad as everyone is making it out to be

Just got smash bros for wii u.

It's fantastic except for the online matchmaking, which is extremely poor. 90+% of my opponents tonight had Japanese usernames.

Lag made game unplayable online, a real shame. If it isn't at least acknowledged soon I will be looking to sell it on as well.

I haven't had too many issues with online although I reckon about 1 in 10 matches with four players do tend to have annoying lag. 

I mainly play the "For Glory" 1v1 mode though and there's rarely any lag, hit me up with your Nintendo Network ID and I'll play ya sometime