Melbourne Football

City vs Nix, Saturday 9th March, 7.00 p.m. (note amended KO time)

I’m at the game.  Small crowd.  The Phoenix fans in the corner are making the most noise. 

Talbot just came off, he’s had a great game, as has Arslan. 

We  really deserve to win, we should be  3-0  … Caputo just had an effort cleared off the line.  

Against the best team this season we are owning the second half.  Shame so few are here to see it   

5 minutes ago, haz said:

I've been waiting on us to announce Iniesta for years, but I've just realised he's been here all season... and he has Antonis on the back of his kit. 

I can only think the bloke has an issue that means he can’t play out a match. As nothing else explains why he doesn’t start.

Edited by D.B. Cooper
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, haz said:

Jmac just handed the captain's armband back to Reis. 

Haven’t seen the game, did Reis start as captain and did JMAC not get the band back when he came on?

Welcome 3 points, I shouldn’t watch more often.

4 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Haven’t seen the game, did Reis start as captain and did JMAC not get the band back when he came on?

Welcome 3 points, I shouldn’t watch more often.

Mate you’re banned for the rest of the season. Nothing personal.

Geez Wellington are hard to watch at times, why don't they try and do something

Anyway, a welcome 3 points. Still worrying we didn't look like breaking them down in open play, but that's why Arslan is here for those bits of quality when needed. 

Massive game Tuesday now 

A good win at home at a crucial stage of the season. Congratulations to the players and coaching staff, and the long-suffering fans who attended on a hot evening.

Positives:

We won, and we won AT HOME😊

We scored a goal

We looked fluent in attacking transition, even of our ball movement is still slow and predictable

Caputo provided both a target and moved intelligently without the ball to create space. he would have had goals against a less resolute team. Impressed.

I’d really love to see Arslan, Leckie, Tilio and Caputo play together

Good subs from Vidmar, and brave, if somewhat overdue starting changes.

Good games from Regis and Souprayen tonight, even if they are quite a slow central pairing. I hope that we can find a way to keep Fernandez

Negatives:

We are still too open at the back, there’s too much space between the back 4 and midfield, easily exploited in defensive transition

What does Antonio’s have to do to get a start?

We need to improve our scoring efficiency, we should have won that game by 2 or 3 goals

• Like 1

The Nix are a defensive unit that play on the counter relying on Old and Barba. I don't think that they have ever had at least 50% of the ball in any game this season. Difficult to breakdown and Poulter is a find. Luck played a lot today - Barba's miss was totally out of character and that save off the line to deny Caputo was unbelievable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

A good win at home

Negatives:

We are still too open at the back, there’s too much space between the back 4 and midfield, easily exploited in defensive transition

I think it's because of our slow backline, they sit back and it opens up space.

Was very pleased with the performance, we got lucky with the Kosta miss the nix are usually ruthless on the counter. 

Caputo and Soup were fantastic. Lopane, Politidis and Antonis were great off the bench. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I’m pleased to read that Caputo did well and provides something different being a more allround CF. Just what the experts on this forum had predicted.

Two things were obvious. First, he damn near got a couple of goals apart from a great save and a goal line clearance. One of those he had no right to get to. Second, he is a big unit, and he gives his defender no peace. He is an absolute handful for the opposition to deal with. Enjoyed watching him play, and could quickly find a new favourite player if he carries on the same way.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Two things were obvious. First, he damn near got a couple of goals apart from a great save and a goal line clearance. One of those he had no right to get to. Second, he is a big unit, and he gives his defender no peace. He is an absolute handful for the opposition to deal with. Enjoyed watching him play, and could quickly find a new favourite player if he carries on the same way.

And from what I’ve seen in previous cameos can be good on the ball, something like we’ve lacked at times. Raw diamond.

@hazon your armband comment earlier, did JMAC take the band back when he came on? I’m just curious because with how that is handled can be telling for the situation he’s in.

Edited by Mr MO

16 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

@hazon your armband comment earlier, did JMAC take the band back when he came on? I’m just curious because with how that is handled can be telling for the situation he’s in.

About 5 minutes after Jmac came on he handed the armband back(?) to Reis during a corner. 

I'd need to re watch the game to work out if Reis gave it to Jmac when he came on. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, haz said:

About 5 minutes after Jmac came on he handed the armband back(?) to Reis during a corner. 

I'd need to re watch the game to work out if Reis gave it to Jmac when he came on. 

Well Reis started as captain presumably? Interesting one though handing the band back…..