Melbourne Football

Season 23/24 - Round 18 - Sydney vs Melbourne 24th Feb - 5:30pm

MHFC-FAN

1 hour ago, moops said:

He's only new at the coaching gig, he probably doesn't have much of a say or done all his badges, he's the apprentice at the moment.

Maybe, but as former captain he must be aware of anything amiss.

3 hours ago, belaguttman said:

PK is not the most flexible of managers. we are playing our present 'style' quite poorly, PK is likely to insist on more of the same

I guess the perfect acid test to see if PK is any good or not, would be to inherit a squad that's not easy to manage or not stacked with amazing quality...after all he's by far the most successful coach we've had so far.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

I guess the perfect acid test to see if PK is any good or not, would be to inherit a squad that's not easy to manage or not stacked with amazing quality...after all he's by far the most successful coach we've had so far.

Well he took Troyes from Ligue 1 down to Ligue 2; and then had them firmly planted in the relegation zone. The only thing that he if he became coach again would be to see whether he can learn and evolve or not. Why run the risk?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

Well he took Troyes from Ligue 1 down to Ligue 2; and then had them firmly planted in the relegation zone. The only thing that he if he became coach again would be to see whether he can learn and evolve or not. Why run the risk?

Imo kisnorbo has learnt nothing and would continue to be the same stubborn bastard that got him fired from troyes. He doesn't have the safety net anymore of a more experienced and tactically better coach in mombarts being able to set up a system and style of play for him to come and take over.

I never understood about this club how we invest all this money into the squad and then spend the least amount of money possible on the coach. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Imo kisnorbo has learnt nothing and would continue to be the same stubborn bastard that got him fired from troyes. He doesn't have the safety net anymore of a more experienced and tactically better coach in mombarts being able to set up a system and style of play for him to come and take over.

I never understood about this club how we invest all this money into the squad and then spend the least amount of money possible on the coach. 

Not saying the Patty is the solution to our problem but please don't forget the squads Van shit, Valkanis and Joyce had. Easy potential season winning squads if they were better managed and equal if not better than what Patty had.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

Not saying the Patty is the solution to our problem but please don't forget the squads Van shit, Valkanis and Joyce had. Easy potential season winning squads if they were better managed and equal if not better than what Patty had.

JVS, Valkanis and Joyce didn’t play in a weakened league. By us being the only club who kept the full strength squad together during the PK & covid years just makes it very difficult to compare the times. 

JVS and Valkanis are now both at Ajax because they have no idea right?

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

JVS, Valkanis and Joyce didn’t play in a weakened league. By us being the only club club who kept the full strength squad together during the PK & covid years makes it very difficult to compare the times. 

That is your opinion and are entitled to it. Mine differ from your conclusions. 

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

JVS and Valkanis are now both at Ajax because they have no idea right?

I didn't say that,  you are saying it.

I said that they had a squad to potentially win the league. I standby that. If you disagree that's fine.

Fact is, the metrics show that Patty is the best manager we have ever had. He has done what Van shit, Valkanis and Joyce never did.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, playmaker said:

That is your opinion and are entitled to it. I differ from your conclusions. 

I didn't say that,  your are.

I said that they had a squad to potentially win the league. I standby that. If you disagree that's fine.

Fact is, the metrics show that Patty is the best manager we have ever had. He has done what Van shit, Valkanis and Joyce never did.

The fact that you keep referring to JVS as Van Shit is telling.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

In a salary cap league it makes the most impact to spend the most on the backroom imho, also developing players to sell on, more to spend on the marque.

That we didn't have a GK coach for a while is pretty poor.

7 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

I am not sure how you can say that. Does the club publish figures on backroom expenditure?

In any case, all clubs in all sports are confronted with the same issue: how do you find the best coach for the team? How do you build a quality backroom that is able to remain fresh? If you look at Spurs over the last five years they spent big on managers but no silverware. Managerial brand names came and went. Opposite to that, is how did Wellington find Italiano? CCM found Mark Jackson?

I am not sure how you can say that. Does the club publish figures on backroom expenditure?

In any case, all clubs in all sports are confronted with the same issue: how do you find the best coach for the team? How do you build a quality backroom that is able to remain fresh? If you look at Spurs over the last five years they spent big on managers but no silverware. Managerial brand names came and went. Opposite to that, is how did Wellington find Italiano? CCM found Mark Jackson?

True, there's probably a diamond in the NPL who hasn't got his chance yet.

16 hours ago, NewConvert said:

He was obviously well out of his depth in France...obviously know he's capable at A-League level?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 25/2/2024 at 8:50 PM, NewConvert said:

I agree, but even without PK, Troyes are still just out of the relegation zone

1 hour ago, HughJass said:

Got double the amount of wins then what  he could achieve in 40 games 

That's really irrelevant. The bottom four of Ligue 2 (17,18,19,20th) will be relegated - Bastia (15), Troyes (16), and Dunkerque (17) are all on 30 points. Troyes lost at home to Dunkerque at the weekend so they are still in great danger of dropping into the Championnat National.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

That's really irrelevant. The bottom four of Ligue 2 (17,18,19,20th) will be relegated - Bastia (15), Troyes (16), and Dunkerque (17) are all on 30 points. Troyes lost at home to Dunkerque at the weekend so they are still in great danger of dropping into the Championnat National.

Not relevant? He got sacked after 15 games with 2 wins(1 of those wasn't present), they have had 5 wins from 11 games since, massive improvement 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HughJass said:

Not relevant? He got sacked after 15 games with 2 wins(1 of those wasn't present), they have had 5 wins from 11 games since, massive improvement 

True, yet only moved one spot up the ladder. PK did well because the players here bought the vision; it created a united working group of players and backroom staff. I wonder whether the language issue was a factor at Troyes, whatever it was, the players didn't buy into the vision, but it's hardly like they have become a star Ligue 2 team unleashed by appointing a new manager

9 hours ago, belaguttman said:

True, yet only moved one spot up the ladder. PK did well because the players here bought the vision; it created a united working group of players and backroom staff. I wonder whether the language issue was a factor at Troyes, whatever it was, the players didn't buy into the vision, but it's hardly like they have become a star Ligue 2 team unleashed by appointing a new manager

Did they buy PK's vision or Mombaerts' vision?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, belaguttman said:

One and the same; PK bought Mombaerts vision but obviously was successful in uniting the team around it

I suspect that he kept the vision and unity going but the task for him in any new coaching role would be to update the vision, unify and motivate a team.

• Like 1

I suspect that he kept the vision and unity going but the task for him in any new coaching role would be to update the vision, unify and motivate a team.

Yes, and that was the hurdle in Troyes. he clearly fell at the hurdle, it's unclear how much of that was the language barrier/cultural differences, how much of it was him

• Like 2

The latest I can find about Mombaerts is that he is "Advisor" at Troyes...maybe the gloss has worn off a bit?