Melbourne Football

Season 23-24 Round 27 MC v WSW Fri 12 Jan 8.15pm

Le Hack

33 minutes ago, Zanty said:

Where did you hear that?

If the is loan is cut short than that’s ultimate proof he was an injury replacement, it could be that he’s carried over until Leckie or Jakolis are fit again.

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

From a mate of mine, City member. Don't know his source.

It would kind of benefit City if it happened tbh, Bring back Tilio on loan and have a spare visa slot for a box to box type midfielder 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Doubt it. If we do, why didn't we use it right from the start?

My thinking is start of the season the midfield 3 was be Arslan, Ugarkovic, Sakhi, with Sakhi as an 8, but now that Sakhi is playing more as a defensive midfielder it means Ugarkovic has dropped from the starting XI, and we don't really have a midfielder to partner Arslan.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zanty said:

My thinking is start of the season the midfield 3 was be Arslan, Ugarkovic, Sakhi, with Sakhi as an 8, but now that Sakhi is playing more as a defensive midfielder it means Ugarkovic has dropped from the starting XI, and we don't really have a midfielder to partner Arslan.

We have Antonis and Lopane on paper

1 hour ago, Zanty said:

Antonis doesn't seem to be rated as a starter although I think he has played quite well & Lopane is still only young

That’s true but in reality you recruit to aim to have a squad with players who can play on multiple positions and at least two players per position.

Personally if we had only money or space for one player;  most impact for mid season recruitment would be another starting level CF, one with different qualities than JMAC. Way too often we play with a player less in possession, JMAC is out of form, not fit but more often than not is just gobbled up by good CBs (there’s a few more now than some seasons ago). Perhaps even a CF/AM type of player.

But yeah a high quality DM could also make a world of difference but that doesn’t take away the fact that we are often toothless, idealess and don’t have enough presence in the box with our slow possession play.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Le Hack said:

Got to make more use of Caputo. He's that taller CF type. Almost got a goal if that header was directed down. And had a good assist to Mazzeo a week ago. He won't get better sitting on the pine each week

This is an important issue. Players need minutes to improve, and improve their chances of making a good career out of football. They have a short working life, particularly as physical fitness demands are increasing not decreasing.

Young players are going to sit on the City bench only as long as they see it as useful to their career. You can't blame them. Despite contracts, players like Max Caputo are not going to stick around for ever.

I think we also have to remember that this squad was built in Rado's vision with the intention that every signing was brought in for a specific role that Rado wanted, obviously after being sacked after 2 games and then Aurelio coming in meant some players moved around and certain players either became more or less in favour.

• Like 1

On 14/1/2024 at 9:30 PM, Zanty said:

Antonis doesn't seem to be rated as a starter although I think he has played quite well & Lopane is still only young

Don’t hold your breath for a visa midfielder. In the WSW pregame Vidmar mentioned he really likes Lopane and the qualities he brings to the team. I’m guessing he is one we will persist with and that’s why Vidmar shoe-horned him in as a winger instead of starting Mazzeo or Caputo. 

17 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Just someone who can control a ball under pressure and participate in play would give the forward line a whole new dynamic.

We just need to play to his strengths and not expect to much out of him otherwise, he's very good at what he does, but it's limited.

50 minutes ago, moops said:

We just need to play to his strengths and not expect to much out of him otherwise, he's very good at what he does, but it's limited.

Yes that’s true.

But with not expecting too much you wouldn’t think we are talking about a marquee player and a top earner of the squad. Perhaps this is the dilemma for the club and his contract situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Yes that’s true.

But with not expecting too much you wouldn’t think we are talking about a marquee player and a top earner of the squad. Perhaps this is the dilemma for the club and his contract situation.

The issue is, there is a very large fisconnect between what he is wirth vs what he is worth to us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, malloy said:

The issue is, there is a very large fisconnect between what he is wirth vs what he is worth to us.

Word of the Year: "Fisconnect" - applicable to most CEOs, a disconnect between their salary and the performance of the organization they head up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Word of the Year: "Fisconnect" - applicable to most CEOs, a disconnect between their salary and the performance of the organization they head up.

That was definitely an intentional typo on my behalf, I assure you.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, malloy said:

That was definitely an intentional typo on my behalf, I assure you.

It doesn't matter how you got there - I just think it is brilliant!

"Fisconnect" - a situation where the remuneration of a CEO is disconnected from, and usually inversely proportional to, the performance of the organisation in which he or she holds that position.

So many examples...Optus, Qantas...the list goes on and on.

• Like 1