Melbourne Football

Season 23/24 - Round 7 - Perth Glory vs Melbourne City - Friday 8th Dec - 9:45pm KO AEST

Zanty

Pleased with the result.

However still concerned about Perth's goal. To me it looked like our backline were deliberately playing the ball back and forth in the backline in order to give Perth an opportunity to pounce and score. At the time of Lopane's backpass he would have had Taggart in his peripheral vision so playing the ball slowly back to Young makes no sense. I seriously wonder whether there isn't some corruption involved here.  

Thoughts?

Edited by TheStig
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TheStig said:

Pleased with the result.

However still concerned about Perth's goal. To me it looked like our backline were deliberately playing the ball back and forth in the backline in order to give Perth an opportunity to pounce and score. At the time of Lopane's backpass he would have had Taggart in his peripheral vision so playing the ball slowly back to Young makes no sense. I seriously wonder whether there isn't some corruption involved here.  

Thoughts?

Was so pissed at that back pass and subsequent goal that I went to bed. Watched it again this morning.

For me Lopane has limited peripheral vision. Watch the whole match again and you will see Lopane's passes are narrow and linear. I can forgive his body positioning because he is young (having said that there are plenty of players in his age brackets that do body positioning better) but ultimately for the role he wants to play he lacks the vision and the ball skill.

Leckie does lift the team and that was Young's best game for the club.

As for Perth, well lots of journey man who are not going to improve. Stacij works best when he has some young players in the team.

10 hours ago, TheStig said:

Pleased with the result.

Thoughts?

I very much doubt it, although we do know that match-fixing in football takes place from time to time.

I didn't watch the match at the time and have just looked at the replay. Just looks like one of our totally unnecessary back passes when the player has plenty of time to turn on the ball and play a pass forward. We do it time after time and it's a cancer on our game. At the back it's risky and up front it results on a waste of scoring opportunities.

While Vidmar is trying to get the squad playing better, as long as we take the points off teams like Perth it's OK by me.

23 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Agree 100% on the back passing. Why not try a long pass to a player further up field? At least the ball can be contested upfield. Back passing, as has been shown time and time again is lazy play, puts pressure on the backline and is highly risky.

If I was Vidmar that would have been the very first thing I would have addressed. Especially with a GK such as Jamie Young behind the back line. Always has been a good shot-stopper - as he showed last night - but all at sea off his line.

13 hours ago, TheStig said:

Pleased with the result.

Thoughts?

Hanlon's Razor applies

• Haha 1