Melbourne Football

Season 23/24 - Round 3 -Melbourne vs Sydney Friday 3rd Nov - 7:45pm

IssySG

My take for what it's worth. Two teams in desperate need of a win and low on confidence, but would always have preferred to be us, at home with a new manager, and the cultural issues hopefully on their way to being addressed. 

The first half was mostly what you'd expect, an anxious and not very pretty arm wrestle. We got better as it went on, Good nearly got one, and a moment of real quality broke the deadlock. Then the early goal in the second half, you could see confidence and fluidity rush back into the team and for a period we played really good football.

We're not there yet by a long way, there is still a lot of building and organising to do, but that was far better. Largely the difference was confidence, but having Arslan and Good back clearly helped as well. Now Vidmar can get to work knocking this team into better shape.

For me, I've spent most of my life supporting a small, unsuccessful team in League 1 and 2 in England, and then started with Heart. I know football is about taking the crunchy with the smooth, and smiling and bantering through the tough times and the bad games. It's about being there for your club, with your mates. It's not always going to be success (Kipling's imposter), in fact it rarely is. The measure of us as supporters is how we deal with the hard years. I enjoyed last night, because we pulled together and showed up for our team, and I had some time with a few mates.

• Like 4

We've made 4 straight grand finals (winning 1), won the premiership 3 years straight and participated in the Asian championship league twice.  This coming from a club that I believe,  still to this date, holds the Australian sports record of most games without winning (26-27 I believe?)

We have had more then our fair share of success over the past couple of years, and whilst yes,  the first two games of the regular season have been shit, I think it's very important that we remember how bad things were and have some perspective.

Like ffs, we still made the semi's of the ffa cup, and are undefeated in the acl league. Doesn't mean that its all been bad. We must be critical when it's reasonable, and equally shower the team with praise when it's deserved. 

Anyway onto the game, I think last night was the first signs of life for the season, and I have to give a lot of credit to ugarkovic. I thought his work rate was a lot better last night,  capping off his night with a pretty good goal. I still think this team has another gear to shift up to, when leckie comes back and pairs with aslan, watch out league.

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

We've made 4 straight grand finals (winning 1), won the premiership 3 years straight and participated in the Asian championship league twice.  This coming from a club that I believe,  still to this date, holds the Australian sports record of most games without winning (26-27 I believe?)....

According to Wikipedia "Record consecutive matches without a win: 19, from 3 March 2013 to 10 January 2014"

6 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

We've made 4 straight grand finals (winning 1), won the premiership 3 years straight and participated in the Asian championship league twice.  This coming from a club that I believe,  still to this date, holds the Australian sports record of most games without winning (26-27 I believe?)

We have had more then our fair share of success over the past couple of years, and whilst yes,  the first two games of the regular season have been shit, I think it's very important that we remember how bad things were and have some perspective.

Like ffs, we still made the semi's of the ffa cup, and are undefeated in the acl league. Doesn't mean that its all been bad. We must be critical when it's reasonable, and equally shower the team with praise when it's deserved. 

Anyway onto the game, I think last night was the first signs of life for the season, and I have to give a lot of credit to ugarkovic. I thought his work rate was a lot better last night,  capping off his night with a pretty good goal. I still think this team has another gear to shift up to, when leckie comes back and pairs with aslan, watch out league.

Amen.

my thoughts last night

• massively needed win that hopefully puts the start to the league and the last week from hell behind us
  • similar to others, we have been playing with low confidence and lots of uncertainty.  this result will go a long way to restoring some self belief
  • we were lucky that Sydney have been as shite themselves - we should have never kept the clean sheet but will take it
  • our structure and pressing is starting to gel.  with the turn over of players from last season and no Leckie and Nabbout, there was a strong risk of things taking a while to gel
  • we still take too long to settle into our grove.  that said i feel we have dominated the second halves of both home games.  hopefully that means we really start smashing teams once things are clicking better
  • our midfield is starting to look much better from a transition point of view.  it was missing in the game against Western Utd and looked worse against Adelaide.  again, fingers crossed this is a positive sign going forward
  • we got a great reaction from the squad to a shite week.  
  • Natel is constantly improving.  happy days.
  • Like 5

I thought it was a good win.

We started seemingly trying to make things happen and it wasn’t quite working but the energy was there. As the game went on those things started to work- quick touches found the mark - we had several really nice passages of passing in attack. Much better than last week.

Nice to get off the bottom too.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Sydney and Central Coast one goal between them! Goodness me. At this very early stage Adelaide look like the team to beat.

Sydney are surely too good a side to flounder down the bottom for much longer...CCM definitely a shadow of the Champion team from last season!

Wellington and Macarthur I reckon are currently punching above their weight at this stage. 

Adelaide, Victory(sadly) and WSW are the teams I rate at the moment...

• Like 1

Fwiw I thought it was a step in the right direction and I always look at a win as a good thing. 2-0 is a decent win, it's a clean sheet and a win which put the game to bed at the 46 so good for us and suck that Corica. I thought everyone was decent, midfield pretty was on top, Jakolis one his wing easy against Grant, Maclaren was busy for a change. Both CBs were good and Young did what he needed but was pretty untested which is good. My thoughts on improvement was that Behich was caught out by Lolley in the first 20 mins but tightened up after that. Talbot looks to be playing with little confidence, will Viddy be able to help him through or will he look elsewhere. Lopane definitely not a winger, suggest Caputo or Antonis given a run there for a bit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Incidentally, anybody have issues with AAMI Park security at the gate? I had a very officious youth insist I completely emptied every pocket onto his table. This included everything in my jacket. I've had less zealous airport security procedures. He'd just waved two teenagers through in front of me with nothing at all, and I'm 57... Never had anything as bad as this before. They're usually OK. Much more of this sort of shite and I might consider not attending.

5 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Incidentally, anybody have issues with AAMI Park security at the gate? I had a very officious youth insist I completely emptied every pocket onto his table. This included everything in my jacket. I've had less zealous airport security procedures. He'd just waved two teenagers through in front of me with nothing at all, and I'm 57... Never had anything as bad as this before. They're usually OK. Much more of this sort of shite and I might consider not attending.

Yes @fensaddler IMO it's over the top. So too is that female yelling through the PA all the time. At my age I really think I should be allowed to pass through unhindered.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Yes @fensaddler IMO it's over the top. So too is that female yelling through the PA all the time. At my age I really think I should be allowed to pass through unhindered.

I do accept that I may just be getting into grumpy old bugger territory. I did call him 'son'. I shall soon be old enough to carry a stick and poke these impertinent whipper-snappers... 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

I do accept that I may just be getting into grumpy old bugger territory. I did call him 'son'. I shall soon be old enough to carry a stick and poke these impertinent whipper-snappers... 

Let's face it - the only flares we're likely to carry are on our hips as trousers.... Jesus, I go back to black shirts, drainpipes and fluoro socks!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1