Melbourne Football

ACL | Ventforet Kofu | 8PM Wednesday September 20TH | AAMI Park

haz

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Our past four competitive matches - a thumping in the Grand Final, just getting over two NPL clubs in the FFA Cup, and last night's lacklustre draw with J2 club...

We're going nowhere. I don't buy this pre-season stuff either. This is a professional club - staff, coaches, players. The coaches and players have been back since early July - and we should be better. Last night was woeful.

It doesn't. It likely means that our ranking in the AFC will just keep going down.

Whilst i'm as down in the dumps about last night and some of the cup games as anyone, youve overlooked a relatively impressive win over Welly in the middle there.

IMO we need to get out of this arrogant mentality that we can just 'be patient' and eventually the goal will open up for us. Its boring, and very easy for opposition teams to defend when we don't keep them guessing. No one wants to see Aloisi style long ball as a new game plan, but we need to pump a few through behind the lines just to keep opposition guessing a bit.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, haz said:

What I noticed was that their chants were really simple, doesn't need to be some articulate lyrics. 

We could hum the happy birthday tune and it would still sound great with enough energy and drums. 

Yeah it was a bit hard to tell. But one was Ole Ole which sounds good in anyone's language and another seemed to be just repeating Kofu which was surprisingly pretty catchy. I mean how hard can it be if we just repeated Citeh for ten minutes or so. Poor bloke in front of me tried to get that going but no one supported him

3 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

What does this help?

I think it means that they focus on just giving positive vocal support to their club and players, and keep it simple so that they all are happy and keen to get involved, irrespective of age and gender.

BTW they also are known for cleaning up their seating area after the match. These sorts of things are aspects of their culture that I can admire.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Whilst i'm as down in the dumps about last night and some of the cup games as anyone, youve overlooked a relatively impressive win over Welly in the middle there.

IMO we need to get out of this arrogant mentality that we can just 'be patient' and eventually the goal will open up for us. Its boring, and very easy for opposition teams to defend when we don't keep them guessing. No one wants to see Aloisi style long ball as a new game plan, but we need to pump a few through behind the lines just to keep opposition guessing a bit.

Yes, mea culpa there @bt50. The third match I have seen was the Wellington match at Oakleigh. But I wasn't impressed there either, and I wouldn't have classed Wellington as a benchmark side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Le Hack said:

Yeah it was a bit hard to tell. But one was Ole Ole which sounds good in anyone's language and another seemed to be just repeating Kofu which was surprisingly pretty catchy. I mean how hard can it be if we just repeated Citeh for ten minutes or so. Poor bloke in front of me tried to get that going but no one supported him

We need a club song - a real one. Like Norwich "On the ball City, " West Ham "I'm forever blowing bubbles," or the Pompey Chimes. These are awesome.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Le Hack said:

I could clearly hear what they were signing;

”where are your flares, we travelled for the flares” 

• Like 1

Felt like I was watching a training drill at times, just passing the ball around with no intention to go forward.

I know this is a new group and a bit of patience is probably needed but was hoping to see a bit quicker ball movement then we did.

the best performance so far was against Wellington, need to get back to that level. Hopefully this is just pre season inconsistency and not what we will be seeing for the upcoming season 

Edited by Zanty
  • Like 1