Melbourne Football

Pre-season 2016

Dylan

It was bound to happen sooner or later. Our recruitment for this season has been childish. We recruited midfielders ( not better than existing ones) and forwards like there was no tomorrow. All this while failing to recruit to strengthen our obvious to all (except to coaches) weakest point: OUR DEFENCE !!.

Oh! I apologise, we did contract two rejects as outside full backs. FFS JVS and assistant !! Can't you see what everyone else does? We are in desperate need of another CB and 2 proper outside full backs.

Long season ahead if these idiots don't fix our defence.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JC22 said:

Well this doesn't sound great. 

Anyone know what Cahill's goal was like?

Yeah, good build up between Bruno and Kilkenny, passed out to Rose who crossed it in. Bruno with a light touch on it to get it to Cahill and he scores the half volley.

2 minutes ago, Chris p said:

oh fuckin wow, their inclusion will make us title contenders surely...

You have a point..

7 minutes ago, DAM10 said:

It was bound to happen sooner or later. Our recruitment for this season has been childish. We recruited midfielders ( not better than existing ones) and forwards like there was no tomorrow. All this while failing to recruit to strengthen our obvious to all (except to coaches) weakest point: OUR DEFENCE !!.

Oh! I apologise, we did contract two rejects as outside full backs. FFS JVS and assistant !! Can't you see what everyone else does? We are in desperate need of another CB and 2 proper outside full backs.

Long season ahead if these idiots don't fix our defence.

I don't think we have room in the squad or under the cap to fix the defence.

I think with Colazo and Jakobsen it could and should have been a different story if we were to play 3 at the back like we did today. It will continue to be a shambles if jvs keeps faith with Malik at CB in that system. If we do play WSW with this formation I pray that Jakobsen takes some command and Colazo can save Malik or rose's ass on the left. Any more friendlies before the FFA cup game? Hopefully because the backline will be as good as strangers to each other in a game which we have to win.  

Ah JVS JVS JVS............ Why havn't you learnt anything from previous seasons. Does my head in with amount of disrespect he shows the opposition's attack. Especially with a philosophy of scoring more goals than the opposition, what sort of bullshit is that? Go and get a player for $3.5 million and cant afford to pay the coach out WTF! 

44 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

adelaide lost against an npl side

relax

It's not just the result today. It's the relative ease with which we have conceded goals to Floreat Athena, Brisbane Strikers and North Queensland Fury NPL sides, and a 1-0 defeat behind closed doors to Hume City that are a cause for concern. We seem to have no idea of defending at free-kicks - conceding again today. FFS what do we do at training?
We have 10 days to sort this shit out before we face WSW in the Cup. At the rate we're going they will tear us to pieces.

13 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

Seriously though, what's the club's ruling on banners referring to the manager? I'm seriously considering making a silhouette of his nervous face with "What are we waiting for?" written under it

The last time a "JvS Out" banner was shown at AAMI Park it was very quickly confiscated by security.

Looking at one game especially during preseason isn't really accurate indicator of things to come. But the patterns there. The same pattern has always been there. 

Conceded against Floreat, Strikers, Fury and Wellington. Our defence is like a sieve because of some questionable personel and an unquestionably mediocre coach. 

• Like 4

Just another point and touching on our shit record during preseason games. I'm sure jvs would argue that this as a 'preseason game' and probably wants to experiment with some bullshit theory on testing players in different positions. I simply fail to see how this builds confidence in his players where they beleive in what hes doing. And how does this help confidence in the team.

Expecting a combustible environment should we continue to concede like this. Enter Timmy.... 

7 minutes ago, Embee said:

Just a few more months of JVS, hang in there

Ah yes. Another top start to the season chasing our tails. 

what are you on about JVS will lead us to glory

1 minute ago, n i k o said:

Just another point and touching on our shit record during preseason games. I'm sure jvs would argue that this as a 'preseason game' and probably wants to experiment with some bullshit theory on testing players in different positions. I simply fail to see how this builds confidence in his players where they beleive in what hes doing. And how does this help confidence in the team.

Expecting a combustible environment should we continue to concede like this. Enter Timmy.... 

Ah yes. Another top start to the season chasing our tails. 

12 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

Have only won 1 pre-season game against HAL opposition in our illustrious history. We have 12 LOSSES, 1 WIN and 4 DRAWS. Today was business as usual. Nothing to get concerned about :droy::droy::droy:     Carry on.

Pretty sure we've at least won two.

Beat Adelaide a few weeks ago and Perth at AAMI a year or two ago.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Pretty sure we've at least won two.

Beat Adelaide a few weeks ago and Perth at AAMI a year or two ago.

As far as I can see according to Wikipedia he's technically correct. The only one being Adelaide in this pre-season 1-0 behind closed doors with a Fornaroli penalty.

The Craig Foster Cup against WSW was decided on penalties, and matches decided on penalties are shown as draws in the record books. (That's true for all matches decided on penalties.)

TBH not even sure that "behind closed doors" pre-season matches are regarded as "official" matches anyway.

I don't recall us playing any "pre-season matches" at AAMI - certainly not open to the public. The one I recall against Perth was at Epping where we were pulverised 5-1.

Whichever way you look at it, IMO none of our pre-seasons have given us cause to be really excited by our prospects for the following season and our record against other A-League clubs whether it be one or two wins is very poor. For me, and I suspect others, that's the main point being made.

Edited by jw1739

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

As far as I can see according to Wikipedia he's technically correct. The only one being Adelaide in this pre-season 1-0 behind closed doors with a Fornaroli penalty.

The Craig Foster Cup against WSW was decided on penalties, and matches decided on penalties are shown as draws in the record books. (That's true for all matches decided on penalties.)

TBH not even sure that "behind closed doors" pre-season matches are regarded as "official" matches anyway.

I don't recall us playing any "pre-season matches" at AAMI - certainly not open to the public. The one I recall against Perth was at Epping where we were pulverised 5-1.

Whichever way you look at it, IMO none of our pre-seasons have given us cause to be really excited by our prospects for the following season and our record against other A-League clubs whether it be one or two wins is very poor. For me, and I suspect others, that's the main point being made.

Nah we definitely beat Perth 2-1 behind closed doors at AAMI maybe 2 years ago. Koren scored from the spot im pretty sure

• Like 1