Melbourne Football

FFA Cup 2016. Rd 16 V Brisbane Strikers Wednesday 24 August 7:30pm

Dylan

10 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

We did what we had to over a team fresh from finishing top of their league, it's our second competitive game of the season. Not too much to be learnt from the game

Which is the problem. 

If we even think we are ever going to get to next level we need to be able to produce whenever we play.

I don't buy the excuses. First game, new squad, need player x to play in position x. These blokes are fulltime pros that work endlessly on being able to play when it matters. 

Bringing Cahill in and not playing anywhere you'd expect is a recipe for mediocrity. We have 1 or 2 League games to prove we have improved. 

Just look at Manchester City. 

Time to be very concerned. 

2 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Rubbish.

When then? After round 3 and we have 2 points.

Round 15 and we have 12 points. 

Or round 25 and we are talking about a new coach for next season.

We have been training with this squad for over a month and to say that we will seriously contend is just hopeful.

Defence is shambolic and midfield is pedestrian.   

5 minutes ago, JC22 said:

We looked equally dogshit last year at this stage and then went on to play some seriously good football throughout the year.

And then completley choked when we needed to win and looked backed at all the points we threw away throughout the season because our defense was so garbage

*edit- i am not saying its panic stations just yet but very frustrating that the same problems that have held us back us for so long dont seem to have been addressed at all. In fact it looks like they have gotten worse.

Edited by KSK_47

My thoughts from last night

1. Kossie worked out everything that was wrong with jvs' game plan and squad within 20 mins- and basically proceeded to predict how the game would pan out from there.

2. Both pens were very lucky- basically we scored from them going full retard

3. Chapman may well have been lucky not to see red and I couldn't beelive there was no card for the foul for city's second pen

4. a win is a win- now into the QF's- cant complain. NEXT

• Like 2

Who gives a FK about Victory and their performance, seriously.
Look at ours and how many times they were able to get in-behind our defence.
I fear we have an even and solid 22 but lack the flair and quality of a strong 11 that can get us into the top 2 of the league. 
Malik is and was hopeless last night

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, True Until I die said:

My thoughts from last night

1. Kossie worked out everything that was wrong with jvs' game plan and squad within 20 mins- and basically proceeded to predict how the game would pan out from there.

Absolutely agree

2. Both pens were very lucky- basically we scored from them going full retard

Nah bullshit. Fitzy was likely to score and Kamau would have had to have fucked up massively to not. Both would have resulted in goals imo.

3. Chapman may well have been lucky not to see red and I couldn't beelive there was no card for the foul for city's second pen

Perhaps, although Kossie didnt think so. Certainly wasnt worse than the pen on Kamau.

4. a win is a win- now into the QF's- cant complain. NEXT

Agree. Defensive frailties were exposed and im certain now that Malik cant play CB. Better to find out now whilst we still have time to address it.

Responded to your points.

Also worth noting that we'll never have that much possession in an A League game so it makes it hard to compare. Playing against a side like that is naturally going to open yourself up to a counter. We always look at sea against teams that go full defensive.

19 minutes ago, JC22 said:

We looked equally dogshit last year at this stage and then went on to play some seriously good football throughout the year.

That's the exact problem. We should and must be playing seriously good football now so that when it really counts we can go to the next level. 

We've had fullback problems since we lost Marrone and Behich never fixed. Last season after January we finally found a solution for cb pairing now gone. And without Mooy our new midfield group are solid but not threatening. 

Alarm bells should be ringing. 

13 minutes ago, InMyHeart said:

I fear we have an even and solid 22 but lack the flair and quality of a strong 11 that can get us into the top 2 of the league. 

I would argue that we have a huge amount of quality and flair.

Defense is fucked though, no two ways about it. Absolutely need our last two signings to be good ones.

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

When then? After round 3 and we have 2 points.

Round 15 and we have 12 points. 

Or round 25 and we are talking about a new coach for next season.

We have been training with this squad for over a month and to say that we will seriously contend is just hopeful.

Defence is shambolic and midfield is pedestrian.   

7 weeks to kick off with a lot to happen between now and then in relation to team strategy and team chemistry development.

Secondly, all the areas of under performance were primarily due to poor team chemistry, just look and how many times our midfield had no options and had to hold the ball.  The opposition are well into their season and created a defensive flood with needs a high level of drilling and player teamwork to break through which I really don't expect us to have at this point of the preseason. Also the long high ball attacks tactic should have been dealt with by a back 3 sweeper type formation to cut the space from the last defender to the GK but for some reason the Full backs were playing a high overlap which means the DMs should be playing deeper, but they pressed, again a team chemistry issue.

A lot of experimenting last night and we were without Tim and Brandan on the pitch in significant roles as it was more of a go out there and have a run.

Absolutely nothing to be worried about. Silverware is ours. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, playmaker said:

7 weeks to kick off with a lot to happen between now and then in relation to team strategy and team chemistry development.

Secondly, all the areas of under performance were primarily due to poor team chemistry, just look and how many times our midfield had no options and had to hold the ball.  The opposition are well into their season and created a defensive flood with needs a high level of drilling and player teamwork to break through which I really don't expect us to have at this point of the preseason. Also the long high ball attacks tactic should have been dealt with by a back 3 sweeper type formation to cut the space from the last defender to the GK but for some reason the Full backs were playing a high overlap which means the DMs should be playing deeper, but they pressed, again a team chemistry issue.

A lot of experimenting last night and we were without Tim and Brandan on the pitch in significant roles as it was more of a go out there and have a run.

Absolutely nothing to be worried about. Silverware is ours. 

Strangely enough I agree with most of your points and I wouldn't be worried if I hadn't seen this all before. 

It's not like this is the start of a new era these same deficiencies have plagued us since season 1.

We are further away from silverware than we have ever been and I just don't think we have proved to have any solutions to the problems. 

51 minutes ago, InMyHeart said:

I don't give a fuck about them. The point is in comparison they played on a much better pitch and only won with a penalty against a slightly lesser team in Hume (in comparison to Strikers). It is yet another game that proves aleague outfits smashing teams during preseason isn't an indicator of the season coming up. Main thing is winning. 

Just on the pitch itself it was a huge leveller, bringing our level of play down and theirs up. The standard of our backline is definitely below par, we know that. However judging let's say how our midfield performances last night isn't fair. We know we have quality there and them playing on a paddock in the centre of the park isn't a good indicator. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Strangely enough I agree with most of your points

Not strange at all because I am right.

I take performances in pre-season as a nothing, especially when over 60% of our list haven't even set foot on the park together in any serious capacity, and haven't had the time to refine their drills, tactics and strategies. Last night's performance is insignificant to our season as the last 7 weeks of pre-season is the business end of the preparation.

3 hours ago, playmaker said:

I take performances in pre-season as a nothing, especially when over 60% of our list haven't even set foot on the park together in any serious capacity, and haven't had the time to refine their drills, tactics and strategies. Last night's performance is insignificant to our season as the last 7 weeks of pre-season is the business end of the preparation.

Lol. Nah. You are not right at all. And i mean that about what you said and in general too.

Every pre season theres always people saying "its only preseason. It doesnt matter". An opposing team with 30% possession should never have twice as many shots on goal as us. Especially a semi professional team.

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

An interesting, little discussed moment in the match: Fornaroli not letting Cahill take the penalty on his debut:

Good,  fornaroli is on penalties duties.  So he takes the penalties especially if it's a crucial one to put us in front.

But of a wanker move by cahill TBH 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, neio said:

Good,  fornaroli is on penalties duties.  So he takes the penalties especially if it's a crucial one to put us in front.

But of a wanker move by cahill TBH 

The right call by Bruno. He's the captain and rightly stepped up to take responsibility. Perhaps if we had been 5-1 up he might have deferred to Cahill, but not as the game stood at the time.
Bruno is the ultimate professional footballer, and gives everything for the shirt.
That's why we love him.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JC22 said:

Funnily enough I remember Bruno insisting he take a pen against Wellington last FFA Cup and Mooy handed it over.

I dont know if this was the same match but it was reported that Mooy was letting Bruno take the penalties in the last FFA Cup to get him on the board prior to the A-League Season as his lack of playing time before landing here meant he had not scored in a while.

8 minutes ago, cadete said:

I dont know if this was the same match but it was reported that Mooy was letting Bruno take the penalties in the last FFA Cup to get him on the board prior to the A-League Season as his lack of playing time before landing here meant he had not scored in a while.

From memory Mooy had an earlier pen in that game which he converted and we were 2-0 up when he let Bruno take the second pen.

Ive no doubt if we had been in front he would have let Cahill take it, but given it was 70th odd minute with scores tied he absolutely did the right thing

• Like 1

Just now, bt50 said:

From memory Mooy had an earlier pen in that game which he converted and we were 2-0 up when he let Bruno take the second pen.

Ive no doubt if we had been in front he would have let Cahill take it, but given it was 70th odd minute with scores tied he absolutely did the right thing

Yeah - He obviously did the right thing.

Its pretty funny we are discussing who takes the pen out of Bruno or Cahill or who takes pen out of Mooy or Bruno... back in the Heart Days we had bloody Willow taking them.

• Like 1

Just now, cadete said:

Yeah - He obviously did the right thing.

Its pretty funny we are discussing who takes the pen out of Bruno or Cahill or who takes pen out of Mooy or Bruno... back in the Heart Days we had bloody Willow taking them.

Urgh remember when he missed that pen to make it 3-0 against Adelaide away and we ended up drawing it with a last gasp goal to Ferreira.

5 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Who can forget Kewells gem against Sydney. 

LOL - I watched that shit with eight other PPL on a raised Ipad in a Warehouse on my fourth day of making a Tifo for the next week's Derby.

And I fucken stupidly thought he had scored... and went off before everyone else. :droy:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cadete said:

LOL - I watched that shit with eight other PPL on a raised Ipad in a Warehouse on my fourth day of making a Tifo for the next week's Derby.

And I fucken stupidly thought he had scored... and went off before everyone else. :droy:

I was there in person, nearly lost an eye.

That was the last away trip i went on that we lost. Currently on a 6-game unbeaten streak.

Edited by bt50