Melbourne Football

December 19 Christmas Derby

Cityscape

How fucking intense would it be going into injury time at the end of the second half at 1-1 Mooy plays through Novillo just outside the box, Novillo crosses into Tuna, Ball is swinging behind Tuna and in all Tuna's greatness turns his back towards goal kicks his leg up to deliver the best scissor kick for a goal you've seen in the A league. 

12 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

How fucking intense would it be going into injury time at the end of the second half at 1-1 Mooy plays through Novillo just outside the box, Novillo crosses into Tuna, Ball is swinging behind Tuna and in all Tuna's greatness turns his back towards goal kicks his leg up to deliver the best scissor kick for a goal you've seen in the A league. 

I'd rather a 5-0 win and to not have a heart attack in the last 5 minutes.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎8‎:‎16‎:‎36‎, morphine said:

Lol do you think that the media/marketing staff should be focusing on the football? 

Please, turn it up.

Yes, much better for the marketing department to draw a collective blank and end up saying "Let's get the supporters to do our job for us". Fan engagement is fine, but the club needs to ease up on these "ask the supporters what they want" polls. I couldn't be bothered honestly, because they had Wake Up by RATM and it was fine, as far as I was concerned. Then they got rid of it.

24 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Yes, much better for the marketing department to draw a collective blank and end up saying "Let's get the supporters to do our job for us". Fan engagement is fine, but the club needs to ease up on these "ask the supporters what they want" polls. I couldn't be bothered honestly, because they had Wake Up by RATM and it was fine, as far as I was concerned. Then they got rid of it.

I actually don't quite understand what you're trying to say?

Are you genuinely saying that the media/marketing department should, instead of focusing on engaging with the fans and trying to give them what they want, that instead they should be focusing on football related matters?

17 minutes ago, SF33 said:

The marketing department also needs to wake up to the fact that there are a whole lot of different people who attend football matches - and who would if the football was better. People in my demographic - i.e. crusty old bastards - don't know any of the goal/walk-out so-called "songs" in the first place so it's pointless asking us which we would like.

"Fan engagement" means different things to different people. For me it means addressing the various membership issues that have been raised on here many times - e.g. prices, giving City fans the opportunity to be seated together at "away" derbies, flexible seating arrangements for certain matches so that reserved seat members can bring friends, and so on and so forth. It means actually getting some feedback from the surveys that are conducted. It means recognising our Heart heritage in our playing colours. It means working on ways to get a less obvious security presence at matches. It means producing a wider range of merchandise items. It means better information on player injuries. And to other people it will mean a whole lot of of other things.

In other words, marketing needs to think about using a different recipe now and again.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Tony999 said:

3-0 win. Next.

Pity l won't be there due to my wedding but Foxtel on the mobile will be beside me.

Maybe you can convince the photographer to convince your wife-to-be to take post-ceremony photos at AAMI Park! We had our wedding photos taken on Morrell Bridge (right behind AAMI Park) during sunset and the setting is amazing ;)

You could quickly sneak in to the stadium for a quick chant before going to your reception!

26 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The marketing department also needs to wake up to the fact that there are a whole lot of different people who attend football matches - and who would if the football was better. People in my demographic - i.e. crusty old bastards - don't know any of the goal/walk-out so-called "songs" in the first place so it's pointless asking us which we would like.

"Fan engagement" means different things to different people. For me it means addressing the various membership issues that have been raised on here many times - e.g. prices, giving City fans the opportunity to be seated together at "away" derbies, flexible seating arrangements for certain matches so that reserved seat members can bring friends, and so on and so forth. It means actually getting some feedback from the surveys that are conducted. It means recognising our Heart heritage in our playing colours. It means working on ways to get a less obvious security presence at matches. It means producing a wider range of merchandise items. It means better information on player injuries. And to other people it will mean a whole lot of of other things.

In other words, marketing needs to think about using a different recipe now and again.

I couldn't agree more. I'd like to think that I don't quite fit the COB demographic, but there's far more pressing issues that could be worked on by the marketing team than what song should be played. And when they continually just do these online fan engagement polls, it just means that they're going to change it again next time they can't think of anything else to do. Pick a song and keep it and if you do that, it wouldn't matter if it was Shaddap ya face, our supporters would grow to love it. You don't build an identity by changing all the cosmetic stuff every second season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, morphine said:

I actually don't quite understand what you're trying to say?

Are you genuinely saying that the media/marketing department should, instead of focusing on engaging with the fans and trying to give them what they want, that instead they should be focusing on football related matters?

The examples that jw1739 has brought up aren't football-related. Getting 'fan engagement' on things like the bloody music that is played after a goal or when the team walks out is the lowest of low hanging fruit, a complete and utter distraction and arguably even counter-productive when there are many other better ways that these staff members could be spending their time.

Will the club get one more arse on a seat because they like the music? I would argue "probably not".

1 minute ago, SF33 said:

The examples that jw1739 has brought up aren't football-related. Getting 'fan engagement' on things like the bloody music that is played after a goal or when the team walks out is the lowest of low hanging fruit, a complete and utter distraction and arguably even counter-productive when there are many other better ways that these staff members could be spending their time.

Will the club get one more arse on a seat because they like the music? I would argue "probably not".

No offence, but I don't think you know what you are talking about.

Is your issue man-hours spent on this? Because it's outsourced to Manchester. 

Will the club 'get more arse on a seat' because fans enjoy the atmosphere? Obviously, yes.

I feel like they can't win really. The football hasn't been great since CFG took over, but the match-day experience and genuine fan consultation has been second to none. Now people are whinging because THEY ARE ASKING WHAT FANS WOULD LIKE for music to be played at the stadium? Absolutely ridiculous to criticise that. Cannot be described as anything other than whinging for the sake of whinging. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, morphine said:

Will the club 'get more arse on a seat' because fans enjoy the atmosphere? Obviously, yes.

I feel like they can't win really. The football hasn't been great since CFG took over, but the match-day experience and genuine fan consultation has been second to none. Now people are whinging because THEY ARE ASKING WHAT FANS WOULD LIKE for music to be played at the stadium? Absolutely ridiculous to criticise that. Cannot be described as anything other than whinging for the sake of whinging. 

Ok...so why don't AFL clubs ask their supporters what music the team should run out to? Because they've built a culture and the song(s) are part of that culture. And if they kept changing the songs up on a whim, or because they have nothing better to do, then they will never build such a culture.

Here's an idea for a poll that our marketing department can try: what are the five most crucial things to your match day experience? I wonder how many times 'the music' would come up.

41 minutes ago, morphine said:

All we are saying is that in our opinion there are far more important things to "engage" the fans about than the music played at the stadium. If you don't get the arse on the seats in the first place you won't even know what the music is.
IIRC this is at least the third time there's been a "survey" on the bloody music. What other "surveys" have there been?

43 minutes ago, Red or Dead said:

Maybe you can convince the photographer to convince your wife-to-be to take post-ceremony photos at AAMI Park! We had our wedding photos taken on Morrell Bridge (right behind AAMI Park) during sunset and the setting is amazing ;)

You could quickly sneak in to the stadium for a quick chant before going to your reception!

Oh I have already organised something with the club ;) 

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

All we are saying is that in our opinion there are far more important things to "engage" the fans about than the music played at the stadium. If you don't get the arse on the seats in the first place you won't even know what the music is.
IIRC this is at least the third time there's been a "survey" on the bloody music. What other "surveys" have there been?

I understand that, but it's all speculative isn't it. I'm sure to some people the music is important. I know that it annoys me. 

The things that you listed as being important to you I believe are more important as well, however I don't believe that the department responsible for the music are the same one responsible for your issues. Also, I believe they would've been addressed internally, and the best outcome sought. 

What I'm saying is that I believe that the club does 'have the fan's back'. I believe they do actively try and provide a better experience for the fans. If they are asking about music, that's because it's something they can change and I don't believe they are stupid enough to focus on things that are irrelevant. 

Melbourne City looking the goods, but need to beat top teams

Michael Lynch

December 14, 2015

Fourteen goals in three games, their first clean sheet of the season and a leap up to third spot on the ladder as they approach Saturday night's Melbourne derby in red hot form.

Record-breaking Melbourne City are starting to look like the real deal and beginning to answer their critics – and there have been plenty queuing up to hammer the club for its lack of success and big-name signings in the season and a half since it was acquired by one of the world's richest soccer businesses, City Football Group.

Experience teaches us not to get too far ahead of ourselves where this club is concerned, even if it has now set an A-League record by becoming the first club to score four goals in three consecutive matches. Not just yet, anyway, as their coach John Van 't Schip acknowledged after the 4-0 win over Newcastle on Sunday.

He knows that tougher tests await and that his side is still far from the finished article. 

City may be looking the goods, but they have yet to prove themselves by beating one of the other top teams in the competition.

So far this season City have played Western Sydney Wanderers, Melbourne Victory, Sydney and Brisbane once apiece, and managed only two draws, both away from home in Sydney and Brisbane.

Until they start to beat those sort of sides there will be doubters, given City's reputation for inconsistency.

But there is no doubt that Van 't Schip is starting to find the right blend and the players are beginning to play to the pattern he wants – pressing and defending from the front and moving the ball with pace. They have also discovered a mental strength that they only used to show intermittently.

The Dutch coach had billed Sunday's trip to Newcastle as an examination of where his team really stood following two easy 5-1 wins. Those victories had come against cellar dwellers Central Coast and Perth Glory, and the trip to the Hunter Valley was expected to provide a much sterner test.

City passed it with flying colours, not only slamming home four goals but keeping their opponents scoreless for the first time this season.

Van 't Schip, who a month ago looked to be the next best thing to a dead man walking after an horrific home loss to the Wanderers, now looks an inspirational figure who has his team playing exactly how he wants.

City have taken 10 points out of a possible 12 in the four games that have followed that 0-3 reverse against Western Sydney, and only the league leaders are in a hotter vein of form.

More prosaically, City are getting their act together because the long injury run which dogged them through the first six weeks of the campaign is starting to ease off.

In recent weeks Socceroo full back Ivan Franjic has returned to action, giving City drive and penetration down the right flank, and Harry Novillo, the mercurial French forward, has also been fit enough to start games.

Marquee player Robert Koren, whose two seasons with the City Group have been plagued by setbacks, came back into the squad for the win over the Jets and he can add experience and guile in the forward third should he stay fit.

Still, there do remain injury concerns. Socceroo left back Michael Zullo is still not available, veteran Irish centre back Aaron Hughes has only played a half of soccer in his time at the club, Corey Gameiro is out for the season and on Sunday young centre half Connor Chapman limped off in the first half with a knee injury.

Their key player is Aaron Mooy, who is continuing to show that he is the best player in the competition right now, his two-goal haul against the Jets merely icing the cake on another masterful midfield display.

Bruno Fornaroli, too, is proving the buy of the season. The Uruguayan has hit the ground running in Australia and is showing the sort of talent that brought him spells in the top flight in his native Uruguay, Argentina, Italy's Serie A and in Spain.

City officials have said that the transfer and scouting report on Fornaroli was the best they have had on a potential acquisition. If that is the sort of due diligence they can expect now they are becoming firmly embedded into the Manchester City-owned group's scouting system then that augurs well for their future.

The Uruguayan is not big, but he is quick of mind and nimble of foot, capable of bringing his teammates into the game or finishing sharply himself.

With Novillo, Fornaroli and Mooy marauding in the forward third City have a strike force as good as the best in the league.

The club has taken plenty of stick since the City takeover in January 2014, because it hasn't signed big name marquee players nor built its crowd base to rival cross-city rivals Victory, the A-League champions.

City did bring in the best-credentialed player to play in the A-League, David Villa, for a guest stint, but botched that horrifically and the Spaniard was gone after four games. Strike one against them there.

But they were denied by the FFA and the other A-League clubs when they wanted to bring in former Chelsea and England star Frank Lampard, who was keen to play in Australia before joining up with New York City. In the end Lampard played the season in the EPL for Manchester City, but there is no doubt that had the club been allowed to bring him in he would have been a huge drawcard.

Crowds have been down this season for City, but they have for almost everyone else too: the FFA's lack of marketing for the competition is a sore point with every A-League club, particularly as the game's governing body is supposed to be boosting the competition as it negotiates a new TV deal.

City officials point out that just because they have a rich owner it doesn't mean they have unlimited capital at their disposal.

The club has to work within budget. It cannot simply tear up player contracts, pay them out and then replace them with someone else. And, it will point to the fact that it has invested heavily in a new high quality training headquarters as evidence of the City Football Group's commitment to its Australian franchise.

City know that the best way to answer the critics is to keep on winning games: next Saturday night's clash against Victory is a perfect chance to make another statement.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-looking-the-goods-but-need-to-beat-top-teams-20151213-glmphd.html

Mooy rests City's title hopes on Melbourne derby

14 Dec 2015

AAP

Melbourne City midfielder Aaron Mooy says his side can announce their A-League title credentials against arch-rivals Melbourne Victory on Saturday night.

The second derby of the season arrives at the perfect time for Mooy's City side.

With 14 goals powering them to three straight wins, there's a sense of belief within the squad that they belong in the title conversation.

The Socceroos midifielder powering City's charge says that begins on Saturday night.

"We'll make a statement if we can pull off a win and play a good game," Mooy said.

The knock on City's championship credentials to date is their lack of big scalps.

While they've travelled to Brisbane and Sydney and returned a point, City's five wins this season have all come against the bottom four sides.

Arriving back in Melbourne after their latest win, a 4-0 victory in Newcastle, Mooy said City will be taken more seriously if they can knock off the champions.

"If we want to win the championship we have to beat the best teams."

Against Victory, City's biggest concern could be the likely absence of two of their young stars.

There's growing concern Connor Chapman suffered a damaged medial ligament against Newcastle, the same injury to rule out Victory's veteran striker Archie Thompson from the season to date.

The 21-year-old, who had played every minute of City's season until his knock, arrived back in Melbourne early on Monday for scans.

The initial prognosis to Jacob Melling is more pleasing, with the 20-year-old a possibility to face Victory after a knock to the knee.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/12/14/mooy-rests-citys-title-hopes-melbourne-derby

Aaron Hughes set to replace Connor Chapman in Melbourne City defence against Victory

David Davutovic

December 14, 2015

FORMER English Premier League defender Aaron Hughes looks set to replace Connor Chapman in the heart of Melbourne City’s defence for Saturday night’s derby at AAMI Park.

City officials were awaiting scan results for Chapman on Monday night, who limped off with an injured left knee in the 4-0 win over Newcastle Jets on Sunday.

The football staff was hoping it was not a repeat of the anterior cruciate ligament injury that ended Corey Gameiro’s season a fortnight ago.

However it was better news for midfielder Jacob Melling, who was cleared of serious injury and could be bit to face Melbourne Victory.

Hughes has played just 45 minutes, limping off with a calf strain at halftime of the loss to Western Sydney a month ago.

City’s 27 goals is 11 more than next best Western Sydney and Brisbane Roar, but just as welcome was a maiden clean sheet for a team that’s conceded 16 in 10 games (only Adelaide and Central Coast are worse).

Keeper Thomas Sorensen hailed City’s new-found resilience.

“I was very disappointed last week (against the Mariners), we gave away a clean sheet because of a silly penalty we gave away,’’ Sorensen said.

“It’s great for stats and as a keeper, it’s always a nice thing to keep a clean sheet. The last couple of games we’ve been under pressure in the first 20 minutes but gone onto win comfortably.

“The main thing is winning and that’s what counts. Three in a row, it’s good to see that we’re catching up on the stability side of things where we were lacking.

“We’re getting a few people back from injury, hopefully Connors isn’t too bad.

“Overall we’re finding our feet and the great thing is we’re scoring goals, that’s a very positive thing.’’

Sorensen has been vocal in between the sticks and has helped steady an at times panicked defensive unit.

But the veteran Dane said the team’s tactical transformation has been a reason for the instability and said while form can be irrelevant come derby time, they were in better shape than ahead of Round 2.

“There is a change of style from last season and it has taken some time to adapt, especially with a lot of young players early on, it was hard to get everything together,’’ he said.

“We’re definitely in a much better place now, a lot more settled, some players are back from injury and are in form.

“On paper we should be better prepared for the game, but we have to produce a really good performance to beat a really good team.

“When you come into a game like that, I’ve played in plenty of derbys, if you won or lost five in a row sometimes doesn’t matter.

“It’s going to be very intense and whoever wants it the most, we’ve got to be 100 per cent up for it. We had that losing feeling last time, we must make sure we are on the right side this time.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/aaron-hughes-set-to-replace-connor-chapman-in-melbourne-city-defence-against-victory/news-story/a8b3241e3352b68127a67dac3ad5cb39

7 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Melbourne City FC vs. Melbourne Victory

Date:
Sat 19 Dec 2015
Time:
7:30 PM
Venue:
AAMI Park
City:
Melbourne, VIC
Section:
Row:
-
$113.85
$113.85

Is that possible? $113 for one ticket behind the goals??

Too expensive.

Next!

• Like 1