Melbourne Football

The End Of Season Clear Out Has Begun

Ruckoo

Looking at the team by position:

Goalkeepers: Andrew Redmayne

Central Defenders: Patrick Kisnorbo, Connor Chapman

Fullbacks: Jack Clisby (can also play CB), Pablo Retre, Jason Hoffman

Midfielders:  Aaron Mooy, Jacob Melling*, Eric Paartalu, Stefan Mauk, Robert Koren (V) (IM)

Attackers: Joshua Kennedy (AM), David Williams, James Brown, Ben Garuccio, Marc Marino*

* Melling & Marino don't take up any of the senior 23 player spots

Out of Contract

Jonathan Germano (V)
Harry Novillo (V)

Massimo Murdocca
Tando Velaphi

Looking at the team, Velaphi simply has to be re-signed. Also Novillo should be re-signed.

There's a pretty compelling argument to re-sign Germano based on the cover he can provide for the RB & LB positions, and the fact that he can almost certainly be re-signed for peanuts and hence still ensure City have heaps of money under the cap to bring in quality new players. Although if Germano stays I'd really want Koren to go, as IMO the team should sign up at least 3 quality new Visa players.

Murdocca's an interesting case. I don't mind having Murdocca on the bench, as he showed in the 3-1 win against Adelaide he can be a useful player to have in reserve. The problem this club has had with Murdocca was that he was signed to be a starting XI player, when he doesn't quite cut it. But as a cheap player happy to normally be on the bench, there's a decent argument for signing Murdocca on a short contract.

And then there's the players contracted for next season. If Redmayne and Hoffman, and perhaps Brown and Williams could be moved on, then that would give the club even more scope to bring in exciting new players..

Edited by Murfy1

IMHO, Valaphi has earned his place.

Germano has played well of late and could be handy, but on low wages with high match appearance fee's.

Novillo is a curious one, if used right (coached right), he could be awesome, but I do like the cut of his jib.

Murdocca, no thanks, his inability to pass kills us so often, he drives me mad.

Ideally what our roster should look like in a couple of weeks once players have been released and some re-signed:

Goalkeepers: Tando Velaphi

Central Defenders: Patrick Kisnorbo, Connor Chapman

Fullbacks: Jack Clisby (can also play CB), Pablo Retre, Jonatan Germano

Midfielders:  Aaron Mooy, Jacob Melling*, Eric Paartalu, Stefan Mauk, 

Attackers: Ben Garuccio, Marc Marino* Harry Novillo

when does germano getting citizenship? certainly must be soon. would only retain if he was not a visa player. can see how important visa players are and using one spot up on a player with a terrible history of injury, the risk isnt worth it.

I guess that the releasing of five players the day after the club awards indicate that the fate of these players had been sealed weeks if not months ago. In the case of Duff, Wieleart and Jaliens that was pretty obvious. As was Ramsay and Dugandzic. From this I can deduce that the other players are going to be held in contract negotiations to see what options become available over the next two months or so. So if someone better comes along they can end contract negotiations and move them on. Of course the players' managers should also have been looking for alternative clubs or careers as well.

There are three salient questions for me:

1. How to engineer the exit of Redmayne, Hoffman, Koren, Brown and Williams (in order of my preference)

2. Whether to offer Velaphi, Germano and Murdocca a contract.

3. What positions does JVS & Co believe will best be filled by quality visa players.

If the club can find new clubs for Redmayne and Hoffman (or alternative career options) then the club should offer contracts for Velaphi and Germano (with appropriate safeguards). If Koren can find another club then the search for a better marquee should already be under way.

I have never been a fan of Brown but he has been badly injured this season so he is unlikely to move. Not sure about Williams either. In either case the club needs to find other local players to fill their spot.

I pity the fools who take a punt on Ramsay or Dugandzic.

In b4 Dugandzic is a regular* for a team that finishes above us next season.

* barring injuries.

That doesn't mean we should have kept him, because his form was bad, but he is just one of a number of players that have gone downhill under JVS and I believe the problems lies elsewhere (JVS). We will see what the future, but at one point he was our best player, and close to the best player in the league if you ask me.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 3

It's looking 90% sure that JVS is staying now, next season is already a write off if that is the case. Happy to negotiate a wager with anyone that opposes this view.

I resigned to the opinion that if JVS was going to be kept on then there was perhaps something CFG saw in him or his coaching situation that perhaps I didn't. So Im curious to wait and see who's right.

It's looking 90% sure that JVS is staying now, next season is already a write off if that is the case. Happy to negotiate a wager with anyone that opposes this view.

I resigned to the opinion that if JVS was going to be kept on then there was perhaps something CFG saw in him or his coaching situation that perhaps I didn't. So Im curious to wait and see who's right.

Happy to make a wager with the sheik, I put down $100 he puts down one of his Bugattis. Solid odds.

* barring injuries.

That doesn't mean we should have kept him, because his form was bad, but he is just one of a number of players that have gone downhill under JVS and I believe the problems lies elsewhere (JVS). We will see what the future, but at one point he was our best player, and close to the best player in the league if you ask me.

This doesn't make any sense. By far Dugandzic's best season was his first season at the club in 2011/12, when JVS was coach, and Mate bagged 7 goals and got 7 assists. Also, Mate's form clearly improved in the second half of last season under JVS when compared with the first half of the season under a different coach (JA).

I was a fan of Mate when he was a player at this club, but his form has disappointed over the past two seasons, and he's got no one to blame for that except himself (especially with the truly top class training facilities all players at the club now enjoy). Hopefully Mate gets a chance at another A-League club, and can continue playing football at this level and hopefully show some more of his potential.

• Like 1

* barring injuries.

ran out of likes.

I likes this

* barring injuries.

ran out of likes.

I likes this

I don't totally agree. It's not like Mate was played out of position or anything. It's his job to prove he demands a position in the team and not the coaches job. No leeway is being given to Kennedy or Koren performances so why does Mate deserve such protection?

* barring injuries.

This doesn't make any sense. By far Dugandzic's best season was his first season at the club in 2011/12, when JVS was coach, and Mate bagged 7 goals and got 7 assists. Also, Mate's form clearly improved in the second half of last season under JVS when compared with the first half of the season under a different coach (JA).

I was a fan of Mate when he was a player at this club, but his form has disappointed over the past two seasons, and he's got no one to blame for that except himself (especially with the truly top class training facilities all players at the club now enjoy). Hopefully Mate gets a chance at another A-League club, and can continue playing football at this level and hopefully show some more of his potential.

Correct, JVS was the coach at the time. Not sure what season it was, but it was when we went on a run of winning a number of games in a row, and Mate was absolutely killing it.

But that doesn't mean JVS isn't a large part of the reason he is performing far below his ability these days. Whether it's the current tactics, the player's role in those tactics, or just JVS' poor man management, far too many players haven't performed. And when that happens, I blame the manager.

At the start of the season, Koren was the best player in the league on paper, just ahead of Duff, and then clear air until the next best player. Mind blowing underperformance by Koren. I'd argue as good as Duff was, even he didn't live up to expectation. Wielart and Paartalu also would have been considered amongst the best 10 or so players in the league. Wielart performed pretty bad, Paartalu had a bit of a mixed season but certainly performed below expectation. Dugandzic has been touched on, we've seen what he can do, but he grossly underperformed this season. Kisnorbo also came here with a fairly good pedigree, but has had mixed performances. Williams was extremely highly rated at Fury, but hasn't even come close to the same levels since being here, and this season was by far his worst. Then we added Josh Kennedy, who on paper again would be up there with Duff and Koren as the three best players on paper, but has achieved next to nothing.

Our squad was in the top two on paper at the start of the season, alongside Victory, and that's before you add Kennedy. I dare say if I searched through the forum I'd find a bunch of posts that said the same at the start of the season. Now everyone considers our squad to be below standard. When there is such a dramatic shift in the opinion of the ability of players, something else is the problem.

If it was only a player or two that had underperformed, then you'd just put it down to those individuals, but when it's the majority of the squad, that's a different story.

The only player that has outperformed their expectations is Mooy, and quite significantly, but again that's only one player so I chalk that up to the individual.

Edited by Tesla

* barring injuries.

That doesn't mean we should have kept him, because his form was bad, but he is just one of a number of players that have gone downhill under JVS and I believe the problems lies elsewhere (JVS). We will see what the future, but at one point he was our best player, and close to the best player in the league if you ask me. ran out of likes.

I likes this

I don't totally agree. It's not like Mate was played out of position or anything. It's his job to prove he demands a position in the team and not the coaches job. No leeway is being given to Kennedy or Koren performances so why does Mate deserve such protection?

True

I'm not going to go through the whole squad player by player, but the above assessments are way off.

And next to no one thought we had a top 2 squad at the start of the season, so that's another attempt to rewrite history.

I don't know why a few people massively overhype David Williams' time at NFQ. He scored 8 goals over 2 full seasons there (47 games, 3629 minutes). Williams actually scored 4 more goals last season. Heck, Williams even scored the same amount of goals just under JVS last season as he scored over the entirety of his career at NFQ.

This season is a solid reminder why the game of football isn't played on paper. No one tipped Nathan Burns at Wellington for the Johnny Warren medal, and sure enough he won it comfortably. Also I mistakenly bought into the hype about Koren, when it turns out he's really ill-suited to be an A-League marquee and at age 34 doesn't have enough magic left in the boots to stand out at A-League level.

Duff lived up to expectation. No one quite expected though that he'd break down completely after 15 games. Indeed, many thought 35 year old Duff would have a much worse season.

And to name more than 1 player besides Mooy who performed well above expectations there's Jacob Melling (a kid on the fringes at Adelaide most City supporters had never heard of) and Tando Velaphi, who's got a higher % of cleansheets to game than any other A-League keeper.

The sad truth though is too many players, such as Ramsay, Wielaert, Hoffman, Redmayne, Mudocca, Williams played at the level that should be expected of them. The problem is though the club has too many mediocre player like them that too much was expected/hoped of, which is why there's an end of season clear out going on. Because having a squad full of mediocre players and expecting them to be worldbeaters is a sure strategy for failure, whilst as Victory and Sydney show if you have squads full of talented players they'll deliver as expected. 

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 4

Mate was fucking trash for the past 2 seasons. As a winger he's got a role where he has a lot of attacking freedom with only minor accountability defensively. He's been awful in both regards.

JVS has a lot to answer for, but a winger who can't beat his opponent, is easily pushed off the ball and continually scuffs goalscoring opportunities isn't one of them.

Unless he bulks up and works on his 1v1 game I can't see him being anything other than a squad filler, which is a big fall from grace from the tricky winger we had in season 2.

• Like 1

On the subject of Koren, during the pre-season those who watched the live stream said that he did play but there was nothing outstanding about him.

On the subject of Mate, well he never seemed to have recovered from the injury. But as I mentioned ages ago, I don't think that he got worse, the rest of the A-League got better. He is slight and was easily bundled off the ball, he never was a truly creative player who could twist and turn his way out of trouble - his method was to skin and run past.

One of the things about an improving league is that some players will be left behind and I feel that Mate is one of them.

On the subject of Williams, he stood out because everyone else was so poor. If you read the 442 forums there are quite a few Mooy haters that claim the only reason he is being lauded is because everyone around him is shit. Whilst I don't agree with this, I can see the parallels.

I'm not going to go through the whole squad player by player, but the above assessments are way off.

And next to no one thought we had a top 2 squad at the start of the season, so that's another attempt to rewrite history.

I don't know why a few people massively overhype David Williams' time at NFQ. He scored 8 goals over 2 full seasons there (47 games, 3629 minutes). Williams actually scored 4 more goals last season. Heck, Williams even scored the same amount of goals just under JVS last season as he scored over the entirety of his career at NFQ.

This season is a solid reminder why the game of football isn't played on paper. No one tipped Nathan Burns at Wellington for the Johnny Warren medal, and sure enough he won it comfortably. Also I mistakenly bought into the hype about Koren, when it turns out he's really ill-suited to be an A-League marquee and at age 34 doesn't have enough magic left in the boots to stand out at A-League level.

Duff lived up to expectation. No one quite expected though that he'd break down completely after 15 games. Indeed, many doubted 35 year old Duff would have a much worse season.

And to name more than 1 player besides Mooy who performed well above expectations there's Jacob Melling (a kid on the fringes at Adelaide most City supporters had never heard of) and Tando Velaphi, who's got a higher % of cleansheets to game than any other A-League keeper.

The sad truth though is too many players, such as Ramsay, Wielaert, Hoffman, Redmayne, Mudocca, Williams played at the level that should be expected of them. The problem is though the club has too many mediocre player like them that too much was expected/hoped of, which is why there's an end of season clear out going on.

did you mean played at a level 'below' that was expected of them?

I disagree, If there was a play style (too much to go in to) that the players knew, would it be different, I mean we couldn't even get simple triangle going (I learnt that at age of 12), let alone diamond, asymmetric....... 

This is why I question JVS, because I see more from Stubbins from this muggins.

The only thing Muscunt has done is have tantrums from the sidelined and carry on from Ange, but it works well and is quite rigid.

Players like duga will come and go, they are not professional enough, if we win we win..........

In this circumstance I disagree with you Tesla. Mate has been shit because of Mate, not because of JVS. Why does Mooy get all the credit for his individual performances and Mate has been shit because of JVS? Like Mooy, Mate has played in his preferred position and must take full responsiblity for his performances.

Now he might go somewhere else and put in some better performances but that will most likely come out of his own personal motivation for being at a new club. If this is the case then thats his own fault for not being motivated enough in the first place when he was with us.

• Like 1

The delistings were swift and on the cards for a while.

I don't think Hoffman, Redmayne and Williams will be there next season.

I'd give the benefit of the doubt to Koren & Kennedy. 1 more season with full pre seasons to both of them.

We will sign Franjic.

We need a keeper.

Must sign Novillo.

Melling to be promoted to senior list.

Germano gets 1 year extension.

• Like 1

Define write off...? This. I'd be in for a wager depending on the definition of write off.

Duff lived up to expectation. No one quite expected though that he'd break down completely after 15 games. Indeed, many thought 35 year old Duff would have a much worse season.

The sad truth though is too many players, such as Ramsay, Wielaert, Hoffman, Redmayne, Mudocca, Williams played at the level that should be expected of them. The problem is though the club has too many mediocre player like them that too much was expected/hoped of, which is why there's an end of season clear out going on. Because having a squad full of mediocre players and expecting them to be worldbeaters is a sure strategy for failure, whilst as Victory and Sydney show if you have squads full of talented players they'll deliver as expected. 

Add Connor Chapman to the list too of players  who performed well above expectation. Everything else  is spot on mate.

Whilst i think JVS should go we are just letting the players escape too much criticism in this instance. If players like mate and willo go to other clubs and become starts then the point that JVS is possibly the worst coach in a-league history holds some credence but atm its all just speculation.

Only a matter of time before the clear out happened. I highly think there will be more to follow.

Lets hope our signings are swift ones and get everyone into camp early seeing there will be a massive turn over of players.

Very disappointed JVS wasnt on that clear out list but we can still live in hope :o

Edited by AntiScum

Forum logic:

Bad player = players and/or JVS' fault - mostly JVS'

Good player = solely player's doing only - if anything JVS holding player back - 0 credit for JVS

Was about to post this but would've Connor Chapman even come into the team if it wasn't for weilart being injured? Even Melling, whilst both have had exceptional seasons has that been because jvs has injected both into the starting line up or just circumstance?

The only real change he made was getting redders out of goal for tando.

The job of the manager within a team is getting the "sum of its parts" working well together. So getting the correct balance of players and getting them to perform well together , through tactics, formations and personal player attributes, is JVS responsibility. How that player performs is up to the player though.

The most perfect example is Germano. There's a reason he is so versatile whether he's playing left back or midfield and that is his effort and performance never waivers in either of those positions. He is an example of a player taking responsibility for their career.

• Like 4

In this circumstance I disagree with you Tesla. Mate has been shit because of Mate, not because of JVS. Why does Mooy get all the credit for his individual performances and Mate has been shit because of JVS? Like Mooy, Mate has played in his preferred position and must take full responsiblity for his performances.

Now he might go somewhere else and put in some better performances but that will most likely come out of his own personal motivation for being at a new club. If this is the case then thats his own fault for not being motivated enough in the first place when he was with us.

First of all, I dont like this talk of positions, it's a very simplistic approach. Players play roles more than they play positions, especially in the modern game.

For example, Mooy is probably best in a more advanced playmaker role, but can play just as well in a deeper midfield position as long as he is playing a playmaker role there. But if you played him as a standard DM, he wouldn't be as good, even though it's the same 'position' as him being a deep lying playmaker.

Or if you look at most attacking players these days that aren't out and out strikers, they can play on either wing or in a central attacking role, or even right at the front as a false 9. What matters is the role, they can play right at the front as a false 9, but probably not as a target man. They can play on both wings, but they probably wouldn't play the same role on both wings.

How this related to Mate, just because he is in the right 'position' doesn't mean he is in the right 'role'.

Now, to summarise my above post. If it was one or two players that underperformed, then i'd be inclined to blame the individuals, but when it's a substantial portion of the squad, it becomes highly unlikely that there isn't a bigger problem. On the flip side, when there is only one player that's really over performing, it's certainly more likely that this is down to the individual than anything else.

I think comments in the media this week have made clear that there is certainly a problem in JVS' man management at the very least, but I think there are problems on the tactical side of things as well.

I dont know why you rely on statistics so much, they don't tell anywhere near the full story, and anyone that saw Williams play at Fury knows how good he was.

You're correct, it isn't played on paper. But, on average, overperformers and underperformers should cancel each other out. If there is significantly more of one than the other, like at Merlbourne City with underperformers or at Wellington with overperformers, there is usually more to the story.

As for Burns, really it fits perfectly into my argument, as the reverse case. Because at Wellington, it wasn't just Burns overperforming. There are a number of players there that dplayed way beyond expectation this season (most their squad wouldn't have gotten a game at another team before this season). And that's why I rate Merrick amongst the top 2 managers in the league (alongside Arnie).

Melling? How can you possibly make a judgement on his ability before coming here when he had two seasons of not playing at all in the A-League, and before that the few times he player he was 17. There is no way of knowing how good he was when he joined us as he had practically zero opportunities beforehand.

The same can be said about Velaphi, the bloke had no opportunities to play for years, there wasn't really anyway of knowing how good he was.

If the only two examples you can come up with are guys who hadn't played for years, then you're just proving my point.

The sad truth though is too many players, such as Ramsay, Wielaert, Hoffman, Redmayne, Mudocca, Williams played at the level that should be expected of them. The problem is though the club has too many mediocre player like them that too much was expected/hoped of, which is why there's an end of season clear out going on.

Ramsay who most people thought was a good signing and had shown himself to be a decent A-League player at the least, Wielart who was coming off playing regularly in a much higher standard league, Redmayne who was rated as one of the best, if not the best, goalkeeping prospect in the country, Murdocca who had won titles in the A-League and was part of possibly the greatest team in A-League history, Williams who was rated as one of the best players in the league during his time at Fury. Again, you're just proving my point by mentioning these players.

I have ignored Hoffman because I think he is actually a decent utility player who we should keep around and therefore shouldn't be listed amongst those players.

Edited by Tesla

Define write off...?

Not finishing in the top 3 (a team of our resources certainly should be).

Define write off...?Not finishing in the top 3 (a team of our resources certainly should be).Would you take a wager on us not improving from last season? So finishing 6th or lower. Edited by Jimmy

All this talk about keeping Germano, I just can't understand. His injury prone more than anyone in the league over many years.. He has enjoyed and nice run of games however should he sustain another injury we will all be singing the same tune... that he should have been released... Also I believe the assessment on players should be made based on the biggest game of the season, under the most testing times and high pressure.. For us that was the Semi Final.. From that game it was clear we don't have the cattle to compete for a league title.

Bosnic on the grand final edition of the round table basically said the CFG have to release the shackle and do what they said they were going to do... and I agree 100%. Apparently we have access to 36 scouts world wide, have access to resources both in the UK with Man City and Japan, we have also been told there are a number of players wanting to play for City. So now it's time to walk the walk.

More players need to go so that better quality can arrive.. I know we are restricted by the salary cap, but if Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory can put together a quality squad all under the cap then we should be able to.

Define write off...?Not finishing in the top 3 (a team of our resources certainly should be).Would you take a wager on us not improving from last season? So finishing 6th or lower.

No at this stage, because I expect us to have the best squad on paper by the end of the off season, and even JVS should be able to take that team to 4th or 5th. But after I see the squad and if it isn't that great then I might.

All this talk about keeping Germano, I just can't understand. His injury prone more than anyone in the league over many years.. He has enjoyed and nice run of games however should he sustain another injury we will all be singing the same tune... that he should have been released... Also I believe the assessment on players should be made based on the biggest game of the season, under the most testing times and high pressure.. For us that was the Semi Final.. From that game it was clear we don't have the cattle to compete for a league title.

Bosnic on the grand final edition of the round table basically said the CFG have to release the shackle and do what they said they were going to do... and I agree 100%. Apparently we have access to 36 scouts world wide, have access to resources both in the UK with Man City and Japan, we have also been told there are a number of players wanting to play for City. So now it's time to walk the walk.

More players need to go so that better quality can arrive.. I know we are restricted by the salary cap, but if Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory can put together a quality squad all under the cap then we should be able to.

With our resources and training facilities Germano will be invincible! Next!

If John stays for the entire of the  next season, I'm happy to have $250.00 that we finish higher than we did during the regular season this year, baring the irregularities  from this and any next season.