Melbourne Football

Melbourne City FC W-League

True Until I die

Nonsensical rubbish.

We've been running a women's team longer than Melbourne Victory, they took control of their women's team two weeks from the start of the season, no wonder it's been a shambles of a season for them.

Victory had a reported operating profit of 1.5 million last year, yet the FFV was running their women's team. That is a much bigger story for women's football, personally.

Edited by Tommykins
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Nonsensical rubbish.

We've been running a women's team longer than Melbourne Victory, they took control of their women's team two weeks from the start of the season, no wonder it's been a shambles of a season for them.

Victory had a reported operating profit of 1.5 million last year, yet the FFV was running their women's team. That is a much bigger story for women's football, personally.

Im shocked how they managed to get away with that without receiving widespread criticism.  

Even now they seem to get sympathetic press instead of deserved criticism for the shambles that is their side.

10 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Im shocked how they managed to get away with that without receiving widespread criticism.  

Even now they seem to get sympathetic press instead of deserved criticism for the shambles that is their side.

Imagine the furore if we were sitting bottom of the ladder and not spending our budget? We'd be reading about the CFG half arseing women's football.

22 minutes ago, Kinnibari said:

There's been some ongoing debate this season about how Australia should be managing the load on young players so they don't burn out or suffer too many injuries before reaching their peak in their late 20s. So perhaps that's also part of it, that we're taking a more long term view.

That's a really good point.  Goad will get her chance.

• Like 1

On 6 December 2015 at 9:51:48 PM, Shahanga said:

Anyone got a view on our best right winger?  I must say, from the little I've seen, I'm surprised that Tabain is managing to keep Goad out of the side.  It's not that I don't rate Tabain, its just that I'm very impressed with Beattie Goad, who, although young, looks the complete player.

Green line

the premiership could be decided next week if we win and Canberra doesn't, Sydney technically still has a chance, but they would need to win everything and we'd need to loose everything for the rest of the season for that to happen.....

....assuming I did my math right.....

Edited by ecguymer

International City: Five players called up to Matildas camp

16 December 2015

The three-day camp, which commenced yesterday at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra, features five Melbourne City FC players.

Midfielder Aivi Luik was rewarded for her impressive form to date, receiving her first call-up to the national team since February.

The 30-year-old has featured in all of Melbourne City FC's fixtures this season, scoring twice from the centre of midfield.

Luik departed for Canberra alongside fellow Melbourne City FC teammates Steph Catley, Lisa De Vanna, Laura Alleway and Larissa Crummer.

It marks the fourth occasion the quartet have received a call-up to the national team throughout the 2015-16 W-League season, most recently featuring for the Green and Gold a fortnight ago in South Korea.

All players are expected to be available for Sunday’s Round 10 clash against Perth Glory.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/international-city-five-players-called-up-to-matildas-camp/zsr9ag27l8gv1akb0k6687evq

On 14 December 2015 8:32:36 pm, ecguymer said:

the premiership could be decided next week if we win and Canberra doesn't, Sydney technically still has a chance, but they would need to win everything and we'd need to loose everything for the rest of the season for that to happen.....

....assuming I did my math right.....

Did you see the email from the club today promoting the women's team with that point too? Was nice to see.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Premiers.

Well done to everyone involved. First for finally getting our team approved by the FFA, then for setting up the CFA with the plan that the ladies would use it too, being (obviously, based on comments by players) the first time facilities of this quality had been available to W League players,  then assembling a quality squad of players including  bringing in 3 top drawer foreigners & lastly coaching and preparing them to perform at the highest level.

In short treating women's football seriously.

(In contrast another club took over the management of their side at the last second, whipped a squad together at the death and now sit, not surprisingly, dead last)

• Like 5

Huge congratulations to the girls and everyone else involved. I don't think any of us could have ever predicted this but the club showed vision the rest of the league lacked in treating their girls like a genuine part of the club and now they're reaping the rewards. 

One thing I'm wondering - does Australian football have the same tradition as over here in the UK, where teams playing against a side which has already been crowned champions will form a guard of honour before the game and applaud their opponents onto the field? 

15 minutes ago, Falastur said:

Huge congratulations to the girls and everyone else involved. I don't think any of us could have ever predicted this but the club showed vision the rest of the league lacked in treating their girls like a genuine part of the club and now they're reaping the rewards. 

One thing I'm wondering - does Australian football have the same tradition as over here in the UK, where teams playing against a side which has already been crowned champions will form a guard of honour before the game and applaud their opponents onto the field? 

Don't know (let's face how would supporters of this club know that 😀), but I presume not.

Why? Because in Australia the winner of the finals ( um your seppo buddies call them "play offs") are considered the Champions and the trophy we have just won is considered secondary.

So we've done well, but the job is only half done.

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Premiers.

Well done to everyone involved. First for finally getting our team approved by the FFA, then for setting up the CFA with the plan that the ladies would use it too, being (obviously, based on comments by players) the first time facilities of this quality had been available to W League players,  then assembling a quality squad of players including  bringing in 3 top drawer foreigners & lastly coaching and preparing them to perform at the highest level.

In short treating women's football seriously.

(In contrast another club took over the management of their side at the last second, whipped a squad together at the death and now sit, not surprisingly, dead last)

Yes fantastic effort by all concerned. Now need to apply the same approach to our mens side and we'll be flying high and conquering all before us.

11 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Don't know (let's face how would supporters of this club know that 😀), but I presume not.

Why? Because in Australia the winner of the finals ( um your seppo buddies call them "play offs") are considered the Champions and the trophy we have just won is considered secondary.

So we've done well, but the job is only half done.

One way of raising the importance of the Premiership in any competition is for the winning club itself to make a lot more of it. So I'd like to see the ladies do a lap of honour with the trophy at AAMI as soon as it can be arranged.

I think people are finally starting to clock CFG's intentions when they invested into the women's team:

http://www.sportsfan.com.au/melbourne-city-raise-w-league-standards/tabid/91/newsid/183839/default.aspx?

Melbourne City raise W-League standards

W-League players, coaches and administrators agree on two things about Melbourne City's remarkable premiership success in their debut year.

Firstly, that their entry has been good for the overall health of the league. And secondly, they can be beaten in next month's grand final.

City claimed the premier's plate on the Gold Coast on Monday with a 1-0 victory over Brisbane Roar; their 10th-successive win since joining the league in October.

The new girls on the block weren't embraced by all on their arrival to the competition. Accusations of player-poaching or talent-sucking were levelled, most notably from cross-town rivals Melbourne Victory. Victory lost Matildas captain Lisa de Vanna, club captain Steph Catley and Welsh international Jess Fishlock to Joe Montemurro's team on the promise of better pay and conditions.

But Matildas boss Alen Stajcic led the praise of City in the aftermath of their premiership win, saying they were welcome additions.

"It's great to see a team that's had the resources put into it," he said. "Not just money, but training facilities, catering for overseas and interstate players, good coaching. They're basically the first team to really put together a good package for their W-League players. I really congratulate them and applaud their professionalism."

Stajcic said there wasn't an insurmountable gap to catch up.

"They've probably spent a touch more than some others but but not a lot more. The salary cap is $150,000. Other clubs are spending 60, 70 (thousand), so if they wanted to spend it all it's not a lot more."

Matildas midfielder Kat Gorry was on the losing side on Monday but was a firm supporter of City's arrival.

"I don't think they're too good for the league, they push other teams to be better," she said. "I think that's exactly what happened (against us). To have such incredible players over here like Kim Little and Jess Fishlock, it helps the standards."

W-League head Damien de Bohun agreed.

"That the City Group has come in and invested in women's football is fantastic," he said after handing the premiership trophy to coach Montemurro and stand-in captain Fishlock. Across the board it will raise the standard and I think it already has."

All three agreed that the winner of the January 31 grand final wouldn't necessarily be wearing white and sky blue.

"They're the best team in the comp but there's teams on the day that have given them a good run," Stajcic said.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

One way of raising the importance of the Premiership in any competition is for the winning club itself to make a lot more of it. So I'd like to see the ladies do a lap of honour with the trophy at AAMI as soon as it can be arranged.

Not sure. It could be seen as grandstanding. What if they make it to the grand final and lose. Very possible. 

FWIW I dislike the Champions decided by a grand final but it is what it is

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Not sure. It could be seen as grandstanding. What if they make it to the grand final and lose. Very possible. 

FWIW I dislike the Champions decided by a grand final but it is what it is

I take your point, but I'll counter with "If you're not going to celebrate success what are you going to celebrate?" Premierships are a recognised competition and trophy and IMO we should not be afraid of winning, because sometimes I think that we're too happy to be mediocre and second best.

• Like 2

On 28 December 2015 at 9:08 PM, Falastur said:

Following the match today: no. But when you win the grand final, there is a confetti cannon.

W-League: Canberra United's four straight clean sheets thanks to Melbourne City motivation

January 9, 2016

Lee Gaskin

Goals bring fans through the gates, but it's defence that wins championships.

That's the platform Canberra United are building around having conceded just once in the past two months.

The reigning W-League title holders host the Western Sydney Wanderers in their penultimate game of the regular season on Sunday attempting to extend their winning streak to seven games.

Second place is all but assured, with focus now on keeping that momentum ticking over leading into the finals.

While Canberra's attack is slowly clicking into gear, they have been afforded time to develop given the strength of the defence with four straight clean sheets.

From Matildas goalkeeper Lydia Williams between the posts, to a consistent back four, to a pressuring midfield and strikers who work tirelessly for 90 minutes, Canberra never give the opposition a moment to rest.

The wake-up call came on November 8 in a 4-2 loss to Melbourne City, who have won 11 straight games in dominating their debut season.

Since then, the only goal Canberra gave up was in a 4-1 victory against the Wanderers on November 29.

"When you concede four goals in one game, no player likes that whether you're an attacker or a defender," Canberra United right back Rebecca Kiting said.

"Playing with that in the back of your mind that we can't concede and don't want to be a team that's easy to score against.

"That sort of drove us, having that mentality in the game that we're going to hopefully score lots of goals, but not concede any because that would give us the best chance to win."

Melbourne City's defence has been just as stingy, having allowed just three goals through their opening 11 games of the campaign.

Even the hiccup of losing centre-back Emma Checker to a season-ending knee injury in the warm-up last week didn't prevent a 2-0 victory against Perth Glory.

The biggest challenge for Canberra over the next two games will be to maintain their intensity knowing their place in the finals is assured.

Kiting believes the competition for places in the team will ensure no one will be able to rest on their laurels.

"The depth within in our squad is really helping that because each player doesn't know if they will be in the team or not, or even on the bench," Kiting said.

"We see that at training, it's even more competitive than it was in pre-season.

"That's definitely fuelling us as individuals to play well and as a team we want to take momentum into the finals series, so we'll be looking to get some good results in the next two weeks."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/soccer/wleague-canberra-united-v-western-sydney-wanderers-preview-20160109-gm2eqm?

• 2 weeks later...