Melbourne Football

Melbourne City FC W-League

True Until I die

I must have missed something. There I was thinking having pre-season training longer than a week would be sensible? Shows I don't know as much as the experts at Melbourne city.

Can't help but think that City chose the wrong time to enter the W-League with all this Matildas nonsense going on, especially with our star W-signing being the one player who wanted to go ahead with the tour to the USA and thereby crossing swords with the rest of the Matildas squad.

I also feel that it has been the entry of CFG into Australian football and their injection of A$27m+ already into Melbourne City that has prompted the PFA to go about getting a bigger slice of the pie. IMO that was always going to happen, but I didn't expect to see it so soon.

Can't help but think that City chose the wrong time to enter the W-League with all this Matildas nonsense going on, especially with our star W-signing being the one player who wanted to go ahead with the tour to the USA and thereby crossing swords with the rest of the Matildas squad.

I also feel that it has been the entry of CFG into Australian football and their injection of A$27m+ already into Melbourne City that has prompted the PFA to go about getting a bigger slice of the pie. IMO that was always going to happen, but I didn't expect to see it so soon.

Really?.. I mean, the CFG table might be nice but it´s not like everyone can dine there

This season looks like being a write off. First game in a month and we have a squad of only 7 players. For comparison, Brisbane are playing a friendly on the weekend.

de Vanna must be wondering what she's done. 

Hard to know what's going on. There's still no page for the ladies on the club web-site. The club PR is much improved, but still seems to operate in fits and starts - we get a flurry of news releases and then silence for a few days.

This season looks like being a write off. First game in a month and we have a squad of only 7 players. For comparison, Brisbane are playing a friendly on the weekend.

de Vanna must be wondering what she's done. 

I know what you're saying but if it makes you feel better, Manchester City Women signed a whole new team last year, and while their league form was ambivalent they won the league cup at the first attempt. 

No doubt we seem to be putting proper money into the womens game and this is why we are getting these players in.  

Its only going to increase our attendance and members having a strong womens team.

In terms of the club as a whole this is easily the best thing to happen this preseason

Edited by Dylan

• 2 weeks later...
Current W-League Squad:

Lisa De Vanna, Laura Alleway, Brianna Davey (GK), Steph Catley, Rebekah Stott, Larissa Crummer, Marianna Tabain, Beattie Goad, Alex Chidiac, Monique Iannella, Trudy Burke (GK), Amy Jackson.
Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/melbourne-city-fc-signs-amy-jackson/wfireklm0dfb13o9qlie9t85d#qo1kte8AjzkPMedJ.99

Interesting that we only have 1 midfielder so far. Didn't someone say that we were going to get some Manchester City women in the team this season? 

The Roar, or some other Aussie news source, said that CFG intends to loan three players from MCWFC. Seems a reasonable suggestion. MCWFC are just coming to the end of their season - they have a cup quarter-final tomorrow, their final league game where they have a (slim) shot of winning the league on Sunday and then potentially a semi-final and final in the cup over the next couple of weeks. The cup games would've actually progressed further by now if the competition hadn't been put on hold after the FA accused them of fielding an ineligible player and threatened to kick them out of the tournament, all because they (the FA, not City) lost the paperwork.

Edited by Falastur

perhaps said in jest, but has a basis in fact. Ceo of Canberra United not happy as most clubs spend 50k on payments but we may actually reach the cap of 150k.

Any club which is upset because another team might spend as much as they are allowed should be ashamed of themselves. It'd be one thing if he thought that City was overspending and giving other clubs problems by breaking spending rules, but to say that you were quite happy putting a bare minimum into the sport and then another club comes in spending as much as FFA wanted teams to spend and that makes you upset? That's shocking behaviour and he should re-examine his position. It's attitudes like that which is behind women's football being so far behind where it should be. In this day and age, women's football should be pressing to go fully professional. 

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 3

Just as an update, MCWFC's season ended both positively and negatively, with a 2-1 win not being enough to win the title. They did, however, secure Champions League qualification so they will get their first ever experience of European competition next season (although they have to wait a full 12 months for it, as the WSL is a summer league and the CL is a winter competition).

If the rumours are true about MCWFC loaning MCFCW-L some players (and I hope they are) I'm guessing we should start hearing the stories in the next week or two.

• Like 4

Just as an update, MCWFC's season ended both positively and negatively, with a 2-1 win not being enough to win the title. They did, however, secure Champions League qualification so they will get their first ever experience of European competition next season (although they have to wait a full 12 months for it, as the WSL is a summer league and the CL is a winter competition).

If the rumours are true about MCWFC loaning MCFCW-L some players (and I hope they are) I'm guessing we should start hearing the stories in the next week or two.

But could they fit under the wage cap?..

But could they fit under the wage cap?..

Depends how the rules work. In the WSL teams get round the wage restrictions by signing players as amateurs, giving them full time community development jobs and then releasing them from their duties for a few hours a day to train. It's possible therefore that technically some of the team could be signed on loan and officially have zero salary as an actual football player for either team, thus not impacting the cap in any way. 

Edited by Falastur

Melbourne City’s W-League team to play at CB Smith Reserve in Fawkner

Peter Reynolds

October 9, 2015

FAWKNER will be the home of the top tier of Australian women’s soccer this summer, when Melbourne City’s W-League team will play at CB Smith Reserve.

The women will play five matches at the venue, including three double-headers with City’s National Youth League team.

Melbourne City chief executive Scott Munn said it was an exciting time for the club, with its women’s and youth teams having been without a permanent home ground.

He hoped the arrangement at CB Smith Reserve would be long term.

“We looked at about three or four grounds but this one ticked all the boxes,” Mr Munn said.

“It is one of the best venues in Melbourne outside the major stadiums. And for it to be in the north is wonderful, as that is where we are based (La Trobe University) and where a lot of our supporters are.

“It is great that people in Fawkner will be able to watch the best young players and international stars in action.”

City’s youth league coach Joe Palatsides said the venue was ideal for match day.

“This would be the envy of a lot of A-League clubs,” he said. “It has great dressing rooms and analysis rooms, and it has a great surface that will allow the style of attacking football that we will look to play.”

Moreland Mayor Meghan Hopper said she hoped the W-League players would encourage greater female participation in sport.

She said since the council’s strategy, Active Women and Girl’s in Moreland, was launched in 2009 female participation in organised sport had doubled.

“Female participation now sits at more than 17 per cent and having the Melbourne City FC’s W-League regularly showcasing their skills in Moreland will surely inspire more women and girls to get involved in team sports.”

Cr Hopper said the council would work closely with the club to deliver development and skills programs for Moreland’s aspiring soccer players.

The opening games at CB Smith Reserve will be a double-header on November 14, with Melbourne City’s youth team taking on Perth at 1pm and the W-League team facing Adelaide United at 4pm.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/north-west/melbourne-citys-w-league-team-to-play-at-cb-smith-reserve-in-fawkner/story-fnrvvn43-1227562052008?sv=d2ba7e348cbaada48e3fab0a5b3d694e

Who owns "CB Smith Reserve"..?

I think you'll find that as a "reserve" it is Crown land held under the Crown Land (Reserves) Act (that title may not be quite correct) and managed under that Act by Moreland City Council.

There are something like 7,500 "reserves" in Victoria held under that legislation.

• Like 1

I think you'll find that as a "reserve" it is Crown land held under the Crown Land (Reserves) Act (that title may not be quite correct) and managed under that Act by Moreland City Council.

There are something like 7,500 "reserves" in Victoria held under that legislation.

So having a kind of permanent outpost there is possible..?