Melbourne Football

Season 2015/2016 (start planning now)

Murfy1

I would thrillhouse if it was done right.

What "right" means to me is:

• the player arrives fit
  • does at least 4 weeks with the team pre-season to build understandings etc
  • plays the full 10 games
(ie the opposite of the Villa debacle)

Unfortunately it seems players of any real calibre seem to dictate their own terms.

How committed to something would you be if it's only something you will be doing for 10 weeks? It's rarely going to be very high.

Would rather see us bring someone in on loan mid season as a 10 game guest player rather than a guest to boost membership sales at the startof the season.

Doesn't have to be a big name, just someone who could fill a role in the squad when we have injuries, poor form, etc.

Edited by mus-28

I would thrillhouse if it was done right.

What "right" means to me is:

• the player arrives fit
  • does at least 4 weeks with the team pre-season to build understandings etc
  • plays the full 10 games

(ie the opposite of the Villa debacle)

Unfortunately it seems players of any real calibre seem to dictate their own terms.

How committed to something would you be if it's only something you will be doing for 10 weeks? It's rarely going to be very high. Germano seems to put in for his 10 week stint every year.

More seriously if it was my job, very committed. When I was working contract most of my work was for shorter stints than that.

I do agree a top player would have their own terms, but if they didn't want to do it like I've suggested we'd have to look elsewhere, or just forget the idea. I wasn't looking from a player perspective, I was looking from our needs as a club.

Scott Munn has to go....so does Didaluca.

Nothing wrong with the playing strips. Home & Away strips were dandy

We do need Visa Spots and Marquee to be top notch. Personally I would love to see Drogba commit to us.

We had just under 12,000 members. 15,000 should be the aim for 15/16.

Interesting to read that contracted and uncontracted players will be moved on.

JVS should also be replaced with Patrick Vierra.

A lot of members went out on a whim because of the hype of Man City taking over the club. A lot to people won't be as 'naive' they time around. First step will be to attain the 11k membership we reached last season, and the only way is through success on the pitch. And reaching 15k will take a lot more than a season of success. Because of how disappointing we were in the eyes of new fans especially, the only way we'll reach 11k+ again is if we sign a really big name (for a whole season and not just 4 games!). Which is another reason why Koren should not be kept. The other reason being that he's shit.

I think we will struggle to get much above 10,000 without something significant changing. Usually clubs sit about the same it might go up or down a few thousand depending on how the team went the previous year. On form I can't see us moving up or down much. An average season finishing 4th is a pass but not great.

I assume a few thousand signed up last season because of the take-over hype and the expectations that went with that. $$$$ and winning the league and big name players etc and overall that hasn't lived up to those over-inflated expectations. Also a few hundred to 1000-2000 would have signed up on the Villa announcement and will be burnt that that ended like it did.

I'll never understand what type of person would sign up for a 13 home game season for a player that will play a maximum of 5 or 6 games. Are there really people like that out there? I don't believe there's thousands of them. Surely not.

It doesn't take thousands. If you have 500 families (4 people per family) = 2000 memberships. That doesn't include singles etc.

And why I don't think there would have been that many who bought for Villa alone I think it would have pushed a few people over the line who were 50:50 about getting a membership.

I'll never understand what type of person would sign up for a 13 home game season for a player that will play a maximum of 5 or 6 games. Are there really people like that out there? I don't believe there's thousands of them. Surely not.

Yep. There are. I do know of a few blokes who don't blink twice about dropping $1k on something like this. I even had a CEO once who paid about $10k to have a two hour golf lesson/game with a golfing pro. mind you they do earn the big bucks.

Yep. There are. I do know of a few blokes who don't blink twice about dropping $1k on something like this. I even had a CEO once who paid about $10k to have a two hour golf lesson/game with a golfing pro. mind you they do earn the big bucks.

Sure but these people who don't blink aren't the ones who would complain about Villa anyway. 

Whilst there were other factors at play (which also gave a general increase in memberships at all clubs), there is no doubt that the big increase in memberships at Heart/City had a lot to do with the excitement and expectations generated through the buy out by a very rich and football savvy owner and the apparent demonstration of this by having Villa appear.

For CFG to keep these new members on board and even attract others is now entirely in their hands. This year they must put together a potential league winning team with publicly notable players, openly and loudly engage with the fans and make comments and admissions along the lines of "last year we were feeling our way and getting to know the league. We made some mistakes but this year our aim is to be the best and most exciting team in the league.".

If they put all this in place I could see our membership easily hitting the 15,000, there finally being two competitive teams in Melbourne and this becoming the football capital of OZ.

In CFG I have faith.

• Like 1

Let's face it, our International marquee was a flop. They were looking for a marquee player, not a marquee name and they got neither.

If they had invested in a higher quality marquee player who could take the game on, lift the team when down and make a difference on the scoreboard then we would've had more than 12,000, more wins than losses and wouldn't be having this discussion.

Either cut Koren and get a player who can make an impact like Janko, Carrusca, Broich, etc or relegate Koren to under the cap (only possible if they had front-loaded his wages in the first year).

• Like 1

Let's face it, our International marquee was a flop. They were looking for a marquee player, not a marquee name and they got neither.

If they had invested in a higher quality marquee player who could take the game on, lift the team when down and make a difference on the scoreboard then we would've had more than 12,000, more wins than losses and wouldn't be having this discussion.

Either cut Koren and get a player who can make an impact like Janko, Carrusca, Broich, etc or relegate Koren to under the cap (only possible if they had front-loaded his wages in the first year).

Are you blaming the failure of our season entirely on Koren?

Are you blaming the failure of our season entirely on Koren?

Nope, our 36 scouts!

Edit: Oh yeah and JD and SM too! Okay and JvS for playing him out of position for most of the season. If you were gonna play him as a striker, then sign a fucking proven striker!

Simple equation: Score more goals than you concede...even Muscunt worked that out FFS!

Edited by Red or Dead

Was in Sydney on Friday and saw Hoffers and Redders near Central Station.. They had some big bags with them, and we're heading towards the city. Hopefully they're on their way to sign a contract with CCM, the Jets or WSW...is there a club dumb enough to sign both of them? (Aside from the Heart)

• Like 1