Melbourne Football

AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL/SOCCER IN THE MEDIA

n i k o

trying to find the appropriate forum to put this in, but I noticed this from the A-League advertisements... are we THAT forgotten or do City have a thing in place to not advertise with the A-League?

Advertising banner on 4-4-2:

Capture2.jpg

On the actual A-League merchandise shop webpage (including "shop by club" dropdown menu tabs):

Capture1.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Professional Footballers Australia unveils Team of the Decade contenders

Socceroos goalkeeper Mat Ryan, who began his career with Central Coast Mariners, or his sometime stand in, Adelaide United's Eugene Galekovic. Melbourne Victory coach and former captain Kevin Muscat or former Melbourne Heart skipper Simon Colosimo.

Brisbane Roar star midfielder Thomas Broich or Japanese legend Shinji Ono, a central figure in Western Sydney Wanderers' development years. Sydney's Italian superstar Alessandro Del Piero or Wellington's English dynamo Paul Ifill.

These are some of the options for Professional Footballers Australia's Team of the Decade, the shortlist for which is being made public before the announcement of a starting eleven on Monday night in Sydney. Of course, it is not an either/or situation for the pairings listed above. There is no reason why all of them (with the exception of one of the two goalkeepers) could not make the starting line-up in the players union's team of all talents. It is a difficult choice. Ryan, as the Socceroos incumbent, must surely be the favourite, although Michael Theo's collection of titles with Victory and Brisbane give him a claim, along with Perth's Danny Vukovic. Victory's Adama Traore, the Mariners' Patrick Zwaanswijk, Wellington's Andrew Durante, Brisbane's Ivan Franjic, Muscat, Adelaide's Cassio, Colosimo, current Socceroo Trent Sainsbury (formerly of the Mariners), Adelaide defender Tarek Elrich and current Roar centre-back Jade North are the nominations for the defensive positions. Broich, Carlos Hernandez (Victory), Matt McKay (Roar), Mark Milligan (Victory) Steve Corica (Sydney), Marcelo Carrusca (Adelaide), Ono, Fred (Victory), Marcos Flores (Adelaide, Victory) and current Socceroos captain Mile Jedinak (Mariners) are the nominated midfielders. Up front, the selectors can choose between Archie Thompson and Robbie Kruse (Victory), Besart Berisha (Roar and Victory), Kosta Barbarouses (Wellington and Victory), Shane Smeltz (Wellington, Gold Coast, Perth and Sydney), Del Piero, Sergio Van Dijk (Roar and Adelaide), Ifill, Alex Brosque (Sydney) and Joel Griffiths (Newcastle).

Someone was sniffing something when they named COLOSIMO in there.

Edited by Tony999

Has anyone else noticed that on the aleauge twitter account we are very very rarely mentioned and the only time i have seen us mentioned is when its comparing two teams.

I reckon we have been pushing for more club independence and in the process rubbed them the wrong way. First we arnt on the aleague page for merch and now this.

or it could be that we are so shit and imo dont really deserve to be in the finals

Edited by Dylan

Interesting comment. The merchandise one is really puzzling, because it does appear that we have been deliberately left off.

Otherwise I suspect that CFG's relationship with FFA is much like it is with us - a bit "we know best, take it or leave it."

Methinks it was always going to be a difficult relationship when one of the owners is mega-rich and could buy and sell FFA and the other nine clubs many times over.

Interesting comment. The merchandise one is really puzzling, because it does appear that we have been deliberately left off.

Otherwise I suspect that CFG's relationship with FFA is much like it is with us - a bit "we know best, take it or leave it."

Methinks it was always going to be a difficult relationship when one of the owners is mega-rich and could buy and sell FFA and the other nine clubs many times over.

I asked the club about that and they said they want to centralize everything And not have merch avaliable from the aleague site Just our own. I reckon next year when all the nike stuff is avaliable its going to be alot more apparent.

I agree with your point about the owners. They come from the epl where none of this centralized stuff occurs. They probably get the sense they can push their weight around more here than in the MLS where its the same situation but far more established and alot more money involved

I see that there was an on-line facility in which we could contribute our thoughts to the 20-year plan (20,000 people did) and also "town hall meetings."

I must have been under a rock at the time, but I don't recall either. Seems like a lot of A-League club members didn't contribute - 20,000 people is only a fraction of the 114,000+ memberships across the clubs.

Did anyone on here contribute?

I see that there was an on-line facility in which we could contribute our thoughts to the 20-year plan (20,000 people did) and also "town hall meetings."

I must have been under a rock at the time, but I don't recall either. Seems like a lot of A-League club members didn't contribute - 20,000 people is only a fraction of the 114,000+ memberships across the clubs.

Like you J W i did not know anything about this and i keep a close watch on matters FFA so when were these so called online and town hall meetings.

I think I might have, it was a while back?

I think there was a questionnaire or something?  I remember telling someone (in a questionaire) that we should be aiming to win the world cup, aiming to qualify is for little nations like England.  

These sorts of comments are just da best:

Funny too that people use the same old tired arguments  support the sport; that it's supported by the most people - perhaps that is because it is the oldest, and was brought to different countries when colonization was the norm... if it were any other sport introduced en mass at the same time period that sport would be the most popular, AFL, basketball, you name it... I've been keeping an eye on the NBA playoffs and basketball at the professional level is just way more exciting to watch, exciting plays happening every minute as opposed to  the chance that it happens once in 90 minutes like with soccer

"But, but, if this happened then, and if this happened at that time, but, but..."

Edited by RedAndWhitePride