Melbourne Football

AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL/SOCCER IN THE MEDIA

n i k o

lol, the Arab nations don't want us merely because we're better than them and we keep beating them.

Obviously.

The thing is, on geography they shouldn't be in Asia either. Anyway anyone who missed out on Brazil to us only has themselves to blame. Goodness knows we gave them ail a decent chance.

lol, the Arab nations don't want us merely because we're better than them and we keep beating them.

Obviously.

The thing is, on geography they shouldn't be in Asia either. Anyway anyone who missed out on Brazil to us only has themselves to blame. Goodness knows we gave them ail a decent chance.

Oh, Shahanga, your geography is letting you down. Most certainly they are in western Asia. The Bosphorus is generally accepted as part of the boundary between Europe and Asia.

I wasnt referring to anyone in particular, but it is what it is and we need to get over it. Does soccer get less coverage because it not as popular, or is it not as popular because it doesnt get enough coverage? I have no idea and (personally) I dont think its important. 

Anyway. I wont harp on about it, but Oz Soccer has always had a victim complex (for as long as I have been watching it anyway) which is part reasonable and part overreaction. But moaning doesnt help, it holds us back.

IMO we have to face up to the fact that "soccer" is not the sport of "the establishment" here, and it isn't in a lot of other places either. Living in the UK in the days when there were 92 Football League clubs in action every winter Saturday you would have been hard-pressed to know that from any of the toffee-nose newspapers of the day. Sports such as yachting, rowing, polo, Rugby Union, golf, tennis etc. etc. always receive media coverage far greater than their spectator numbers or public interest would suggest that they should do.

KSK is correct. We are the ones who have to start the change. We need to stop emphasising the negatives about our game, and focus on the positives. For example, it irks me to see FFA 's approach to the current Newcastle situation. Just look at FFA's own statements here: http://www.a-league.com.au/article/ffa-urge-jets-owners-to-act/2vofm62pg1ij16hsw84x5l13mFar better would have been something like "FFA is working closely with the Hunter Sports Group to resolve and overcome some issues that have arisen at the Newcastle Jets." Similarly the ludicrous play-school spat between Frank Lowy and Clive Palmer that saw the end of Gold Coast United could have been resolved by the simple expedient of Lowy picking up the phone and saying - "Hey Clive, I'm coming up to see you - let's fix this up."

I also see FFA shooting itself in the foot over fixtures. How ludicrous that Heart/City has to apply each year to keep the "Christmas Derby" when it's fast becoming an icon on the Melbourne sporting calendar. And that we have to compete with the F1 every year?

I've just attended all seven of the Asian Cup matches here at AAMI Park. A fabulous event. Crowds between 10,000 and 25,000, people from just about every ethnicity on the planet coming together for a festival of football, a bagful of goals, and a lot of fun had by all. It is up to the administrators of the game itself to build on this, because we cannot expect anyone else to do it for us.

Thank you. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the FFA's handling of Palmer and Tinkler have been massive fails. They've cost the game enormously, even though it might not be obvious or apparent. Who knows how many investors are put off getting involved in an A-League team by the handling of these two situations, and in both cases I don't think the owner was particularly in the wrong.

Not only that, having people with the profile of Palmer and Tinkler involved in the A-League would certainly help with media coverage for soccer in this country.

What's the deal with Israel playing in Europe? Was it a similar deal where other nations wanted them out of Asia?

http://www.jewishnews.net.au/the-football-refugee/39498

lol ffs why are Jews always playing the victim card, fact is it worked out better for them because they are in a stronger confederation, something which many countries aspire to (eg Kazakhstan moved to UEFA, Australia who moved to AFC)

Edited by Tesla

Obviously.

Oh, Shahanga, your geography is letting you down. Most certainly they are in western Asia. The Bosphorus is generally accepted as part of the boundary between Europe and Asia. No problems with the Bosporus but surely the Arabian peninsula is not in continental Asia

Obviously.

The thing is, on geography they shouldn't be in Asia either. Anyway anyone who missed out on Brazil to us only has themselves to blame. Goodness knows we gave them ail a decent chance. Oh, Shahanga, your geography is letting you down. Most certainly they are in western Asia. The Bosphorus is generally accepted as part of the boundary between Europe and Asia. No problems with the Bosporus but surely the Arabian peninsula is not in continental Asia

Yes it is. And certainly as far as football goes it is. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederation_of_African_Football

Can anyone imagine what a match between Israell and Palestine would be like i can only think absolute bedlam and mayhem imagine the angst between the sets of fans, so this is why Isreal play in Europe. Just to try and promote a bit of peace between the waring factions.

Youtube Serbia V Albania 2014.

Something like that only 10x worse.

What's the deal with Israel playing in Europe? Was it a similar deal where other nations wanted them out of Asia?

http://www.jewishnews.net.au/the-football-refugee/39498 lol ffs why are Jews always playing the victim card, fact is it worked out better for them because they are in a stronger confederation, something which many countries aspire to (eg Kazakhstan moved to UEFA, Australia who moved to AFC) Israel was kicked out of the Asian confederation and had to play in Oceania. Hardly a step anyone would choose. They then had a strong rivalry with ourselves until they managed to get into UEFA after many years.

eventually they seem to have made the best of a bad situation but I still think it would be better for them if they were in Asia where they rightly belong.

In a perfect world they would be in Asia and all nations who refused to play them suspended (I am not Jewish, just think it's unjust), but that would split FIFA I guess.

http://www.jewishnews.net.au/the-football-refugee/39498

lol ffs why are Jews always playing the victim card, fact is it worked out better for them because they are in a stronger confederation, something which many countries aspire to (eg Kazakhstan moved to UEFA, Australia who moved to AFC)

Israel was kicked out of the Asian confederation and had to play in Oceania. Hardly a step anyone would choose. They then had a strong rivalry with ourselves until they managed to get into UEFA after many years.

eventually they seem to have made the best of a bad situation but I still think it would be better for them if they were in Asia where they rightly belong.

In a perfect world they would be in Asia and all nations who refused to play them suspended (I am not Jewish, just think it's unjust), but that would split FIFA I guess.

I agree that the ideal scenario would have been the teams that refuse to play them get punished, this is sport not politics. Just the way that article was written was a bit much.

Edited by Tesla

So for a decade or so the FFA main objective was de ethnisize soccer culture and alienate dozens of communities, and now they want to engage. ?????

So for a decade or so the FFA main objective was de ethnisize soccer culture and alienate dozens of communities, and now they want to engage. ?????

Yep, it does seem like a turn around. But much of it I reckon has to do with the experience of Lowy and others during the NSL days. The FFA have tried to present football in a new light (well because of the historical negative press and all that) and if the Asian Cup helps that well so be it.

Yep, it does seem like a turn around. But much of it I reckon has to do with the experience of Lowy and others during the NSL days. The FFA have tried to present football in a new light (well because of the historical negative press and all that) and if the Asian Cup helps that well so be it.

If they (FFA) start selecting communities to engage with and ignore others then its a recipe for disaster. I grew up during the NSL days and the game is were it is today because of it and not in spite of it. I get very bitter and twisted when this little chestnut pop ups. 

• Like 1

Perhaps the message I took from the article was not so much about the engagement of various ethnic communities but how hard (and how much harder) the new "clubs" are going to have to work if they want to increase the interest of all Australians in our game, the A-League and the individual clubs, and that as we have discussed before, it is not just a matter of plonking a new "club" down in a population centre and expecting that the community will become involved.

Edited by jw1739

If they (FFA) start selecting communities to engage with and ignore others then its a recipe for disaster. I grew up during the NSL days and the game is were it is today because of it and not in spite of it. I get very bitter and twisted when this little chestnut pop ups. 

Out of curiosity, which was your NSL team?

I am split, I miss those days like crazy but fully agree something had to be done. It shits me no end when the traditional clubs which built this game in this country, are not recognised for their efforts but now its ok to let the ethnics back in know what im saying?

How could FIFA allow Australia to be champions of two continents?

Australia won Asian Cup on Saturday with 2-1 victory over South Korea

Also crowned champions of Oceania in 1980, 1996, 2000 and 2004

Australia were allowed to switch regions from Oceania to Asia by FIFA

Man United may have no choice but to sell David de Gea to Real Madrid

Spanish goalkeeper is out of contract at the end of next season

By MARTIN SAMUEL - SPORT FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 22:34 GMT, 1 February 2015 | UPDATED: 01:31 GMT, 2 February 2015

shares

View comments

History was made in the Sydney Olympic Stadium on Saturday. Australia became the first nation to win two continental titles. It’s not the titles that are the big deal but the continents. Australia, having been crowned champions of Oceania in 1980, 1996, 2000 and 2004, are now champions of Asia.

Only in football. Only in football is a nation’s geographical location merely the start of negotiations when entering a tournament.

As far as Australia were concerned, Oceania was not cutting it, continent-wise. Globally it was so poorly regarded that FIFA only gave the region half a place at the World Cup, meaning the champions had to play off against the fifth best team in South America to qualify.

Australia captain Mile Jedinak (centre) and the rest of the Australia squad celebrate winning the Asia Cup

+21

Australia captain Mile Jedinak (centre) and the rest of the Australia squad celebrate winning the Asia Cup

Australia striker James Troisi (right) celebrates scoring in extra time with his team-mates in the Asia Cup final

+21

Australia striker James Troisi (right) celebrates scoring in extra time with his team-mates in the Asia Cup final

Australia's players celebrate as the full time whistle is blown to confirm their Asian Cup victory on Saturday

+21

Australia's players celebrate as the full time whistle is blown to confirm their Asian Cup victory on Saturday

Australia didn’t like those odds so in 2006 successfully applied to join Asia. And, as you can see, it has gone very well.

Australia qualified in one of Asia’s four World Cup places in 2010 and again in 2014, Western Sydney Wanderers are the current holders of the Asian Champions League, and now this, Australia beating South Korea in extra-time in front of a 76,000 home crowd to become champions of a continent that is 411 miles away, minimum, if we take the shortest distance between the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste and the Tiwi Islands, north of Darwin.

The tournament was a great success — putting into sharper relief the rejection of Australia for Qatar in 2022 — except for rumours of growing disquiet in the Asian ranks. It seems the other nations can see what Asia does for Australia but not what Australia can do for them — except taking up one of the limited places at World Cups.

With just four berths, Asia has a problem. South Korea and Japan are the traditional big beasts and have occupied two spots at every World Cup going back to 1998 (and 1986 in South Korea’s case). That leaves the remaining 45 Asian nations to fight it out for two places — and now Australia consistently claims one of them.

James Troisi scores to give Australia 2-1 victory in Asian Cup

Australian A-League side Western Sydney Wanderers are the current holders of the Asian Champions League

+21

Australian A-League side Western Sydney Wanderers are the current holders of the Asian Champions League

Australia became champions of a continent that is 411 miles away, minimum, taking the shortest distance between the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste and the Tiwi Islands, north of Darwin

+21

Australia became champions of a continent that is 411 miles away, minimum, taking the shortest distance between the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste and the Tiwi Islands, north of Darwin

It meant that on the eve of the AFC’s showpiece event, its president Sheik Salman Bin Ibrahim Al-Khalifa, was forced to deny comments attributed to him in a Dubai-based publication admitting there was increasing demand to see Australia back where it belongs.

‘There are indications that prove such desire exists among the confederations of west Asia,’ Salman is said to have told Al-Ittihad newspaper. ‘But I also know that the Arabs are not the only ones who are not convinced that Australia’s membership in Asian football is feasible.’

Once his comments reached Sydney, the alarmed Salman quickly retracted. ‘This is really sad, because there’s no truth in it,’ he said, insisting his words had been manipulated. ‘The success of this tournament has exceeded our expectations. I won’t let a story like this affect the success we had in Australia.’

Yet hosting a successful event and continuing to thwart the ambitions of powerful Gulf nations ploughing billions into football are two different things. Salman’s initial comments, if accurately reported, chimed with rumours that have been circulating for several months now. The giant investment made by Arab nations, in particular, demands exposure to make it worthwhile, yet one path to a global audience is blocked by Australia.

Australia lift the Asian Cup with 2-1 win over South Korea

President Sheik Salman Bin Ibrahim Al-Khalifa (left) was forced to deny comments attributed to him admitting there was increasing demand to see Australia back where it belongs

+21

President Sheik Salman Bin Ibrahim Al-Khalifa (left) was forced to deny comments attributed to him admitting there was increasing demand to see Australia back where it belongs

Iran made it to Brazil, and to Germany in 2006, but Saudi Arabia have missed the last two World Cups while Kuwait (1982), Iraq (1986) and the United Arab Emirates (1990) have all been one-hit wonders. It is surprising the Asian nations did not anticipate this complication when allowing Australia to join.

Guus Hiddink’s Socceroos had qualified for the 2006 World Cup by beating Uruguay in a play-off, and then made it out of a tricky group involving Brazil, Croatia and Japan, before falling 1-0 to Italy at the knockout stage, a controversial penalty awarded eight seconds from time. The warning could not have been plainer. Japan were Asia’s most impressive qualifiers, winning 11 of their 12 matches, and Australia beat them 3-1. They were always going to be major players in Asia.

The bottom line? It shouldn’t have been allowed. Had FIFA treated the Oceania confederation with more respect and guaranteed one place at the World Cup, Australia might not have felt the need to break away; and, when they did, FIFA should have stepped in and outlawed the move. Countries cannot choose their continent as if from a catalogue. Yet FIFA, and Asia, are already complicit in a convenient illusion, highlighted on the AFC’s website as their tournament progressed.

Mark Viduka, Craig Moore, Tim Cahill and Harry Kewell all starred for Australia at the 2006 World Cup finals

+21

Mark Viduka, Craig Moore, Tim Cahill and Harry Kewell all starred for Australia at the 2006 World Cup finals

Australia manager Guus Hiddink talks to his players during the World Cup Group F match against Japan

+21

Australia manager Guus Hiddink talks to his players during the World Cup Group F match against Japan

To mark the 2015 Asian Cup, the AFC released a three-minute video celebrating the history of the competition, from its inception and Korea’s win in 1956 to Japan’s victory in 2011. ‘The Koreans went on to defend their title in 1960 on home soil,’ intoned the commentary. ‘The power in Asian football then shifted to west Asia, the Islamic Republic of Iran capturing the title in 1968.’ Funny. What happened to 1964?

Here’s what happened to 1964. Israel won. Israel were the beaten finalists in 1956 and 1960, won in 1964 and came third in 1968. Then, in 1974 — two years after the terrorist massacre of Israeli athletes at the Munich Olympics, do not forget — Kuwait proposed that Israel was expelled from the AFC and, shamefully, the vote was carried. Just as shamefully, FIFA did nothing. Israel tried to qualify for the 1982 World Cup as part of Europe and in 1986 and 1990 as part of Oceania. The country became official members of UEFA in 1994.

Since when, we have all bought into the fantasy that Israel is in Europe. It isn’t. It’s in Asia. The AFC has champions from another continent while continuing to exclude a country of its own and now airbrushes it from history. This is a misrepresentation that Sheik Salman, and FIFA, must not be allowed to forget. Australia should never have been Asia’s problem; but Israel most certainly is.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2935490/How-FIFA-allow-Australia-champions-two-continents.html

:lawl: Wow, what a well written piece of sh- I mean article.

There's a place in boronia that does a great burek if your near that side of town :up:

Yeah mate, gonna get a Burek from fucking Boronia.

Probably put in a sandwich press to warm it up before serving it to you with a side of tomato sauce :droy:

Dosta Niko.

• Like 3

There's a place in boronia that does a great burek if your near that side of town :up:

Yeah mate, gonna get a Burek from fucking Boronia.Probably put in a sandwich press to warm it up before serving it to you with a side of tomato sauce :droy:Dosta Niko.

Are you discriminating against the wogs in the eastern suburbs?

Yeah mate, gonna get a Burek from fucking Boronia.Probably put in a sandwich press to warm it up before serving it to you with a side of tomato sauce :droy:Dosta Niko.

Yes.

• Like 1

Yes.

Lol. No clue. Authentic Burek home made exactly like they used to make it overseas for decades before they came here. Much better than most of the burek Ive had out your way.

AFL v A-League — which sport has the best atmosphere for fans?

AS a battle of cross-town foes it failed to captivate, yet the Melbourne derby still stole a march on its rivals in the AFL on Saturday night.

The city’s third derby of the season dragged in 40,042 fans at a packed Etihad Stadium, another validation of the world game’s scintillating Australian summer.

After Timmy Cahill’s goals, #InAngeWeTrust, the pulsating Asian Cup final and the wonderful afterglow of success, perhaps another epic was too much to hope for.

Any prospect was killed off as a clinical Victory poured three goals past a City side that huffed and puffed then utterly failed to deliver.

But as an AFL journalist attending his first Melbourne derby, the 3-0 result was only part of the theatre on a night that had everything.

Marriage proposals at halftime (Natalie said yes to Diego, she cried as the cameras rolled).

A riot of colour and movement and activity and energy, as the controversial Victory fans on the North Terrace started chanting half an hour before kick-off and literally did not stop for 150 minutes.

Let’s be honest, it was a fan experience with so much more vibrancy and atmosphere than what the AFL stumped up last year.

Beach balls flitted across the heads of fans, 70s-style flags and crepe paper flew in the stands and the chanting and singing and banner-waving just kept rolling on.

AFL football is officially chasing the world game’s tail, at least from a fan engagement perspective.

This week alone Essendon cut its cheer squad in half to provide room for an “Active Area” that will coordinate chants and generally spice up the atmosphere.

Geelong can’t even get some of its Simonds Stadium fans to take the knitted blankets off their knees, let alone stand and chant and roar for an entire game.

On Friday Carlton boss Steven Trigg admitted his envy at Victory’s North Terrace and has met his cheer squad to ask them for more.

The one problem with so many AFL games — nine a weekend for half a year — is that the atmosphere can lose some snap and crackle, especially with high prices and low-scoring football.

A handful of them every weekend feel flat and half-hearted, especially with crowds abandoning many Melbourne fixtures for legitimate reasons in 2014.

The elephant in the room, of course, is the flares those North Terrace fans continue to let off when Victory scores.

Victoria police abhor them, they must surely dissuade families from attending and as recently as November a child and woman were burnt by flares at a Victory game.

If Victory fans don’t break chairs and don’t shout abuse and don’t light flares, they give police no excuse to swarm around them as they did as soon as the flares started glowing on Saturday night.

Then all the media can talk about is the undoubted support the loyal fans provide the Victory players, not the damage those flares inflict upon soccer’s reputation.

Australian coach Ange Postecoglou was feted by the crowd pre-match and yet it not just the Socceroos playing with spirit and dare and adventure.

We believe in the style of football he is promoting, a spirit of industry filtering down through the A-League.

The diving and time-wasting those in the cheap seats were once so keen to criticise is virtually non-existent.

It has been replaced by the muscular play of stars like Besart Berisha, the dazzling boots of Fahid Ben Khalfallah and the exquisite crosses of Gui Finkler.

Will this take over as the dominant code in Melbourne in 20 years?

Of course not, but it is closing in with a bullet, especially given June’s World Cup qualifiers and the arrival this year of superpowers Real Madrid, Roma and Manchester City.

Melbourne’s sporting fans don’t have to choose any more — they can love Victory or City as much as they support the Blues or Hawks or Pies.

Now we wait and see what the AFL has in store with its fan engagement measures this season

Because the gap between it and the A-League’s best is as wide a gulf as between Victory and City on the Etihad Stadium pitch.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-v-a-league-which-sport-has-the-best-atmosphere-for-fans/story-fni5f08l-1227212875473