Melbourne Football

TTIM: Things That Irk Me

Tesla

8 hours ago, Tesla said:

TTIM: People who will confidently state things that are completely wrong like they are facts.

How people can be so sure of something that's wrong I will never understand.

The thing is, I know a lot of random shit so the majority of the time that someone is wrong I know they're wrong, but at the same time I'm too polite (not really, just cbf looking like an annoying know it all asshole) to say shit, so I just sit there with my mouth shut getting irked and looking anti-social.

Can't wait until the day I just snap and start calling everyone out on all the retarded shit they say.

Sounds like everyone on this forum but cbf looking up the stats to prove it :P

9 hours ago, Tesla said:

TTIM: People who will confidently state things that are completely wrong like they are facts.

How people can be so sure of something that's wrong I will never understand.

The thing is, I know a lot of random shit so the majority of the time that someone is wrong I know they're wrong, but at the same time I'm too polite (not really, just cbf looking like an annoying know it all asshole) to say shit, so I just sit there with my mouth shut getting irked and looking anti-social.

Can't wait until the day I just snap and start calling everyone out on all the retarded shit they say.

I eventually figured out no one thanks you for pointing out they're wrong. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tesla said:

, but at the same time I'm too polite (not really, just cbf looking like an annoying know it all asshole) to say shit, so I just sit there with my mouth shut .

I assume we're not talking about your forum posting here?

23 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

TTIM: ATMs that make you type in the cents. If I am getting $20 out, why do I have to type in 2000? Its not like I can get $20.50 out

TTIM: How in Europe the vast majority of places only take Cash due to wanting tipping but they have less ATM's than here which means you need to get more cash out... and nowadays the one dodgey bloke that used to hang outside these ATM's has doubled to two dodgey blokes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hedaik said:

I assume we're not talking about your forum posting here?

This is the internet, you're asking for it tbh. Much easier to prove someone is wrong for starters.

But the difference is most the stuff on here would be differences of opinions, rather than someone completely misstating something factual.

On a similar note,

TTIM: people who try to stop conversations from escalating into debates, fuck off that's generally a much more interesting conversation than the bullshit boring things people talk about most of the time.

Edited by Tesla

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

This is the internet, you're asking for it tbh. Much easier to prove someone is wrong for starters.

But the difference is most the stuff on here would be differences of opinions, rather than someone completely misstating something factual.

On a similar note,

TTIM: people who try to stop conversations from escalating into debates, fuck off that's generally a much more interesting conversation than the bullshit boring things people talk about most of the time.

I need these PPL in my life TBH.

• Like 1

TTIM: Traffic. If your not going to get it point B as quick as possible get off the road you useles cunts. 

TTIM: People that don't drive with a purpose

TTIM: people that take their time crossing the road when knowingly the green man has stopped flashing 10 fucking seconds ago

TTIM: Hipsters on old school bikes

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, n i k o said:

TTIM: IPhone screen shattering 

TIM: Having to pay $170 to get it fixed, again. 

TTFIM: Knowing they can make screens more resilient but purposefully make them easy to shatter for profit. 

mines a mess but I'm not fixing because I'd rather have a slightly less functional phone than pay those prices 

59 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

mines a mess but I'm not fixing because I'd rather have a slightly less functional phone than pay those prices 

The self righteous part of me wants to do that. But with a third of the phone shattered I can't make out anything at the top of my screen. 

3 hours ago, n i k o said:

TTFIM: Knowing they can make screens more resilient but purposefully make them easy to shatter for profit. 

Lol yeah Apple are just hanging for that $170, most of which would go to labour and some to parts.

They'd rather sell a few more $1500 phones or whatever the flagships cost these days, and one of the ways to do that is by decreasing the perceived risk of costly repairs.

Hence why there is a constant stream of new tougher glass technology. What they could possibly be doing to it to keep updating it I dont know, but Gorilla Glass is on it's 5th generation and seems to release a new generation every year or so.

TLDR: The money is in tougher glass technology, hence they do use the toughest glass currently feasible.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Lol yeah Apple are just hanging for that $170, most of which would go to labour and some to parts.

They'd rather sell a few more $1500 phones or whatever the flagships cost these days, and one of the ways to do that is by decreasing the perceived risk of costly repairs.

Hence why there is a constant stream of new tougher glass technology. What they could possibly be doing to it to keep updating it I dont know, but Gorilla Glass is on it's 5th generation and seems to release a new generation every year or so.

TLDR: The money is in tougher glass technology, hence they do use the toughest glass currently feasible.

Latest technology.  Lol. 

Apple would be making billions of profit from screen repairs and a handsome profit from the $170 that I hand over. Labour is bullshit, last screen I got repaired took all of 30 minutes. Prob got paid a total of $15 if that for the time spent repairing it. The glass itself is created in such bulk it would cost next to nothing for them. 

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

Latest technology.  Lol. 

Apple would be making billions of profit from screen repairs and a handsome profit from the $170 that I hand over. Labour is bullshit, last screen I got repaired took all of 30 minutes. Prob got paid a total of $15 if that for the time spent repairing it. The glass itself is created in such bulk it would cost next to nothing for them. 

Yes, latest technology. Every year or so they're able to make tougher glass, is that not technological advancement? Gorilla Glass is a US$25bn product, with a bunch of competitors, if they don't keep finding way to make their glass tougher than they'll lose market share. Or to put it another way, people spend a fuckload of money on phones/tablets/etc, a tough thin glass is an important selling point, a fuckload of money is spent on such a product, and so a fuckload of money goes into developing better glass, behold the power of the free market. Conversely, fuck all people have malaria, most of them are poverty Africans, fuck all money to be made, fuck all money spent developing a cure, fuck all technological development in regards to malaria medication. The system works, nema Tito ovdje niko.

Point is there is no better thin glass at a feasible cost, otherwise one of the major phone manufacturers would start using that as a selling point, because there is fuck all other difference between all these flagship phones. Yet Gorilla Glass completely dominates the market. Once again, behold the power of the free market.

Also $15 of labour? Didn't you post once before that you're a tennis coach, you'd know how billing for time works. The rent on those apple stores wouldnt be cheap either. But you're probably right, they would make some decent money off of it, but my point was that it's not a lot of money compared to what they'd lose if they were purposefully using an inferior glass.

FWIW, I don't think $170 is particularly unreasonable, pretty sure Samsung charge a fair bit more for example (think they quoted me like $250 when I had a s5). Though best bet is if you've had the phone for a while to just sell it and get something new, people will buy it second hand and you might lose like $50 off the going rate for that broken screen rather than paying $170 to get the screen repaired. Of course that only works if you're interested in getting a new phone.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

Sony Z3 was notorious for their screens cracking just from looking at them (I smashed my screen 3 times in 12 months), and I'd say is a big reason why Sony are abandoning the Z series considering every internet discussion about them seems to involve their flimsy screens. 

I don't buy into the theory that a successful company like Apple would risk the reputation of their most popular product so they can make a few bob on the side. 

9 minutes ago, cadete said:

Broke my Iphone Plus screen twice in the first three months after I got one on the day they just came out and I was just given a new free one twice at the Apple store... clearly things have changed.

Thats pretty good of them. 

First thing I did with my new iPhone after smashing my Z3 3 times was buy the Thule X3 case for it. Pretty ugly case but does the job. From memory there were youtube videos of the case being tested with the phone being dropped from a ladder and it was fine. 

Edited by hedaik

I've probably mentioned it before, but I'm very anti-case.

A large reason you pay so much for these phones is for them to be as thin and light weight as possible, so why go and put a case on it and compromise that? When it comes time to sell it even if it's banged up a bit you lose like maybe $50 max off the resale value (LOL @ cheap cunts that buy second hand), which is what a good case would cost you anyway.

Shit doesnt add up, and believe me I'm the worst with dropping my phone but it doesnt change anything.

But this just adds to my point about the screen. People are risk adverse, and in their head they make a lot more of the risks of damage from dropping the phone than there needs to be. Hence if there was a better glass the manufacturers could use they'd be all over it as a selling point that their phone is less likely to have a damaged screen, conversely if they used an inferior glass people would avoid their product because of their almost irrational levels of risk aversion when it comes to damaging their phone. FWIW, the glass is pretty good, it seems to only shatter if you drop it at the wrong angle and it lands on a weak spot (so you have to be quite unlucky).

Edited by Tesla

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

FWIW, the glass is pretty good, it seems to only shatter if you drop it at the wrong angle and it lands on a weak spot (so you have to be quite unlucky).

I tend to agree with this, but once even the smallest crack is there it loses a lot of its integrity and will fall apart very quickly after that.

19 hours ago, Tesla said:

Yes, latest technology. Every year or so they're able to make tougher glass, is that not technological advancement? Gorilla Glass is a US$25bn product, with a bunch of competitors, if they don't keep finding way to make their glass tougher than they'll lose market share. Or to put it another way, people spend a fuckload of money on phones/tablets/etc, a tough thin glass is an important selling point, a fuckload of money is spent on such a product, and so a fuckload of money goes into developing better glass, behold the power of the free market. Conversely, fuck all people have malaria, most of them are poverty Africans, fuck all money to be made, fuck all money spent developing a cure, fuck all technological development in regards to malaria medication. The system works, nema Tito ovdje niko.

Point is there is no better thin glass at a feasible cost, otherwise one of the major phone manufacturers would start using that as a selling point, because there is fuck all other difference between all these flagship phones. Yet Gorilla Glass completely dominates the market. Once again, behold the power of the free market.

Also $15 of labour? Didn't you post once before that you're a tennis coach, you'd know how billing for time works. The rent on those apple stores wouldnt be cheap either. But you're probably right, they would make some decent money off of it, but my point was that it's not a lot of money compared to what they'd lose if they were purposefully using an inferior glass.

FWIW, I don't think $170 is particularly unreasonable, pretty sure Samsung charge a fair bit more for example (think they quoted me like $250 when I had a s5). Though best bet is if you've had the phone for a while to just sell it and get something new, people will buy it second hand and you might lose like $50 off the going rate for that broken screen rather than paying $170 to get the screen repaired. Of course that only works if you're interested in getting a new phone.

I'd like to disagree with a number of your points but I really can't be arsed. Fwiw you might be right in what you say anyway. Tbh I'm just pissed off the screen cracked and needed a rant.  

36 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

TTIM: Teenagers on public transport.

I take them over the majority of PPL who get on the Victoria Street Tram in Richmond anyday... mind you I have dislike Public Transport in general ever being a teenager in Perth in the 90's hence why I invested in a easier way to get around the Inner City.

17 hours ago, cadete said:

Good line to finish a Year Ten Creative Writing Exam with five minutes to go there...

Worked for Vanilla Sky.

UOTYH:  Vanilla Sky is a really good movie, so is the Spanish original. Doesn't deserve the crap it gets. Borderline top 5 movies, definitely top 10 I'd say.

Edited by Tesla