Melbourne Football

R5 Brisbane Roar vs City Saturday 8th November 7:30pm

GreenSeater

It's great to get a win. But in the back of my head I can't help but think chances are this win is actually a bad thing. There wasn't really any great signs of improvement, Brisbane just happen to be even shitter than us,especially in the goalkeeping department. So I don't see us gaining any great momentum from this win, and therefore all this win will do is buy JVS more games which we will then continue to under perform in.

• Like 1

It's great to get a win. But in the back of my head I can't help but think chances are this win is actually a bad thing. There wasn't really any great signs of improvement, Brisbane just happen to be even shitter than us,especially in the goalkeeping department. So I don't see us gaining any great momentum from this win, and therefore all this win will do is buy JVS more games which we will then continue to under perform in.

JA MARK II

was partaalu's cross that set up the second goal. should be seeing more of that once he recovers from the asian experience.

it was.  And good on him.

But he's killing Mooy who's getting no support from him. The reason that Mooy is able to run around so much is that he knows Paartalu is behind him. That IS the support he is giving. A DM is not a ball playing dribbling player. A good one can win balls break up play and give pinpoint 30 m lobbed passes to strikers who score.

You may be right Tesla...but let's see how we go next week

We got the two quick goals and played a more percentage game, which is the right thing to do when your struggling. Whether that was by design or accident it would be interesting to find out

The second half showed that we struggle to maintain a defensive unit when pressed back. The subs made all the difference today. Melling for me certainly showed he ha smore about him than Retre. Although Brown wasn't brillliant his work rate was excellent and Marino closed down the defenders very well and scored a nice goal.

Also I thought we looked better with Kisnorbo on the right and Wielhart on the left of defence.

So there are positives to take from the game Tesla.

This is what happens when we take our chances. This may be a start of a Williams run of form? Bench all contributed and actually influenced the result. Redmanye did his job. Our flaws still remain, will for this season. Best thing for me was Marino goal.

Have been trudging around fully negative about we're we are at, this 3 points has given slight reprieve next three weeks will show how important this win is. Ever hopeful but no confidence whatsoever.

was partaalu's cross that set up the second goal. should be seeing more of that once he recovers from the asian experience.

But he's killing Mooy who's getting no support from him. The reason that Mooy is able to run around so much is that he knows Paartalu is behind him. That IS the support he is giving. A DM is not a ball playing dribbling player. A good one can win balls break up play and give pinpoint 30 m lobbed passes to strikers who score.

I can't agree with you

Paartalu was ahead of Mooy on many occasions today, which he shouldn't have been.

Yes he played a nice pass for the second goal, but too many times for me Paartalu was chasing the ball instead of playing his position. Which is to sit between the attacking midfielders and defence and dictate the game.

As I have already said, I do not know what he brings to the team, so hopefully he will show that in the next few games.

Edited by silva10

What a pile of crap. How can a win be anything but a good thing?

You are talking bollocks sunshine.

• Like 1

Except he doesn't break up the play and he's nailed ONE pass in 5 games.

Mooy broke free in the second half because Melling was crunching the tackles that Eric ought to be but isn't.

Edited by Kiro Kompiro
  • Like 1

Its taken me a while to pick myself off the floor.

A poor performance but it was good to see that we can win playing poorly, we can play 94 minutes, and we can win away. Congratulations to the team but lots of room for improvement.

Positives.

Our efficiency in front of goal was much better.

Defensive structure was better at times although we still get pulled out of shape too easily.

We looked much more balanced, especially with marino and Melling.

Good game by Redmayne, not in an absolute sense but he did what a reasonable goalkeeper would be expected to do and he hasn't done that for a whole game for us for a long time.

Good subs by JVS, he knew that we didn't have a backbone to be able to sit back and defend.

Negatives

Hoffman & Ramsay are not good enough - nothing has changed. 

Paartalu struggling.

our first touch is terrible, way below Roar's level and it really increases our turnover rate and slows our ball speed.

Retire looked lost although still offers more than Murdocca.

What a pile of crap. How can a win be anything but a good thing?

You are talking bollocks sunshine.

look at JA's last season and all will be told.

• Like 1

Ahh this is a great feeling.

Mooy was fucking unbelievable. Williams was great, Mate's finish was superb. Redmayne wasn't shit. Kisnorbo solid at back.

Who was Kis slappin around after the game? What was that all about? Didn't look great.

Edit: Melling, what a sub!

Edited by HOLLYWOOD

I am happy and getting happier. For me tonight the team was more balanced. Duff/Hoffman partnership seemed to gel better; our players didn't collide with one another; the team scored from open play; the young players that came on as subs worked a treat.

And yes, City are not as good as Adelaide, Victory, etc. Yes Brisbane are not on fire BUT  the team played as team and won. Winning ugly or winning pretty don't care it has been a long time between celebratory drinks. I can look forward to watching the replay this week knowing that City won.

• Like 1

Excellent win.

Mooy was awesome.

P.S.Who was Kisnorbo giving a slap round the head to after the final whistle? Looked like one of his team mates but couldn't tell from the TV pictures.

I believe that was Retre. Any idea why? Pretty sure fox saw it and said they'd talk about it after the interviews but they didn't mention anything of it after, just the Roar onfield blow up.

Probably should save it for the dressing room Kis, doesn't look great on the pitch straight after the match - especially with cameras everywhere.

Edited by HOLLYWOOD

Excellent win.

Mooy was awesome.

P.S.Who was Kisnorbo giving a slap round the head to after the final whistle? Looked like one of his team mates but couldn't tell from the TV pictures.

I believe that was Retre. Any idea why? Pretty sure fox saw it and said they'd talk about it after the interviews but they didn't mention anything of it after, just the Roar onfield blow up.

Probably should save it for the dressing room Kis, doesn't look great on the pitch straight after the match - especially with cameras everywhere.

No idea, looked ugly though and Kisnorbo being captain makes it especially bad. 

Excellent win.

Mooy was awesome.

I believe that was Retre.Any idea why? Pretty sure fox saw it and said they'd talk about it after the interviews but they didn't mention anything of it after, just the Roar onfield blow up.

No idea, looked ugly though and Kisnorbo being captain makes it especially bad.

Depends on the situation I guess, if it was due to a certain incident/error he made onfield then yeah save it for the dressing room.

I'm trying to think, was Retre involved in any conflict during the match? He might've confronted a Roar player post-match onfield and told him what he thought of him, in wich case yeah I'd expect the captain to intervene and tell him to pull his head in, games over, shake hands, don't be a twat.

Will be interested to see what it was about, if we ever find out.

We've had some shit performers this year and players that personally I don't think cut it at a-league level. But judge a performance on what it is Ramsay was solid tonight and certainly doesnt deserve any criticism. Also, Redders was clearly our second best player.

Completely agree.

Ramsay has been fucking terrible this year but tonight he was no worse than any other A-League full back, and was better than his left back counterpart Stefanutto.

David Who?

What away form?

What second half fade outs?

What defensive frailties?

It wasn't a perfect performance, but it was a solid and respectable win, with a lot more positives to take out of the match than negatives. And this is despite some serious and fair questions hanging over the team, such as those suggested by the questions above.

The team started strongly. Don't undervalue the usefulness of being sharp from the outset, as the vast majority of the losses under Aloisi (with several of the players that started tonight) followed flat 1st half performances by the team, where they conceded after being sluggish in the opening 45. It's an asset that the team has consistently started games fired up this season, and 2 goals in the first half (especially because they were inside the first 15 min) gave a big boost to the team's winning chances.

Credit to Williams and Dugandzic. Questions have been asked about the consistency of their finishing, and they both took their goals very well. Hopefully they rightly go into next week's game with their heads up, and the confidence gained from getting off the mark this season ensures that they continue to look good in front of goal. Also impressive lead up play to both goals, with Williams showing good effort to win the ball back, and Dugandzic providing a smart and accurate assist for the first goal, and Paartalu playing an impressive, inch perfect long pass, that Dugandzic took excellently with his first touch, for the second.

There was a lot of defending for the middle part of the game, but I'd say Brisbane didn't threaten much, with their players rarely getting behind our defence, and Brisbane were largely just hording possession around halfway and in their own half. Moreover, City looked organised and compact when they needed to be in defence, and also did a lot of high intensity pressing that was effective. 

It's never nice to concede, of course, but Brisbane's goal on the 67' minute didn't really come from defensive weakness on Melbourne City's part or from attacking potency from Brisbane. It was dumb luck as much as anything else, as one post-match write-up described it: 'This was one of the weirder goals you'll see for a while. Matt McKay teed off from outside the area and his shot smacked into the head of Borello and past a prone Andrew Redmaybe into the back of the net'.

There was a few nervous minutes after the goal, when Brisbane predictably had their tail up. But more importantly Melbourne City responded better at 2-1 and made the game 3-1 with a well crafted and swift goal on the break. The team had not scored in the 2nd half since round 2, and pleasingly they were able to put in a good shift in the 2nd half, getting a goal to seal the match. They showed good concentration and a good attitude in the 2nd half after Brisbane pulled a goal back, by attacking and not sitting back. 

The 3 substitutions made were all very well timed by the coaching staff, with the subs also being good and making an impact. Melling looked very lively, so hopefully we see more from him this season. And credit to Brown for being sharp off the bench, with him providing an excellent textbook cross for the other sub Melling to finish.

Other things I'd note are Redmayne putting in a solid performance, credit to him, no instances of serious defensive weakness down Ramsay's side (unlike Hoffman's side, however Hoffman's side was clearly targeted in this game and had a lot more attacks come down it), Mooy remaining consistently incredible in midfield (are there any other players in the A-League that could have played Mooy's key pass for City's 3rd goal?) and Duff having a surprisingly quiet game (by the high standards Duff set in the opening few rounds), yet the team prevailed regardless.

So all up a very good away win that leaves little to be bitter about. In this match some older players from previous seasons stood up and had solid performances, and were integral to the win. Just about all the players played significantly useful roles in the team to secure the win, so hopefully all the players take confidence from this good game and that confidence spurs them onto even better performances in the upcoming 2 games at home. 

• Like 3

Finally watched game

Ohh get in

Very good win, away from home I'll take any win

I didn't think we had a bad player, even Ramsay was sort of competent

Serious question when mate got the yellow, hill and Slater were saying lucky not to be a red. If it was a red what happens as he is already off, do we get to choose who comes off or what? Never seen it happen before

David Who?

What away form?

What second half fade outs?

What defensive frailties?

It wasn't a perfect performance, but it was a solid and respectable win, with a lot more positives to take out of the match than negatives. And this is despite some serious and fair questions hanging over the team, such as those suggested by the questions above.

The team started strongly. Don't undervalue the usefulness of being sharp from the outset, as the vast majority of the losses under Aloisi (with several of the players that started tonight) followed flat 1st half performances by the team, where they conceded after being sluggish in the opening 45. It's an asset that the team has consistently started games fired up this season, and 2 goals in the first half (especially because they were inside the first 15 min) gave a big boost to the team's winning chances.

Credit to Williams and Dugandzic. Questions have been asked about the consistency of their finishing, and they both took their goals very well. Hopefully they rightly go into next week's game with their heads up, and the confidence gained from getting off the mark this season ensures that they continue to look good in front of goal. Also impressive lead up play to both goals, with Williams showing good effort to win the ball back, and Dugandzic providing a smart and accurate assist for the first goal, and Paartalu playing an impressive, inch perfect long pass, that Dugandzic took excellently with his first touch, for the second.

There was a lot of defending for the middle part of the game, but I'd say Brisbane didn't threaten much, with their players rarely getting behind our defence, and Brisbane were largely just hording possession around halfway and in their own half. Moreover, City looked organised and compact when they needed to be in defence, and also did a lot of high intensity pressing that was effective. 

It's never nice to concede, of course, but Brisbane's goal on the 67' minute didn't really come from defensive weakness on Melbourne City's part or from attacking potency from Brisbane. It was dumb luck as much as anything else, as one post-match write-up described it: 'This was one of the weirder goals you'll see for a while. Matt McKay teed off from outside the area and his shot smacked into the head of Borello and past a prone Andrew Redmaybe into the back of the net'.

There was a few nervous minutes after the goal, when Brisbane predictably had their tail up. But more importantly Melbourne City responded better at 2-1 and made the game 3-1 with a well crafted and swift goal on the break. The team had not scored in the 2nd half since round 2, and pleasingly they were able to put in a good shift in the 2nd half, getting a goal to seal the match. They showed good concentration and a good attitude in the 2nd half after Brisbane pulled a goal back, by attacking and not sitting back. 

The 3 substitutions made were all very well timed by the coaching staff, with the subs also being good and making an impact. Melling looked very lively, so hopefully we see more from him this season. And credit to Brown for being sharp off the bench, with him providing an excellent textbook cross for the other sub Melling to finish.

Other things I'd note are Redmayne putting in a solid performance, credit to him, no instances of serious defensive weakness down Ramsay's side (unlike Hoffman's side, however Hoffman's side was clearly targeted in this game and had a lot more attacks come down it), Mooy remaining consistently incredible in midfield (are there any other players in the A-League that could have played Mooy's key pass for City's 3rd goal?) and Duff having a surprisingly quiet game (by the high standards Duff set in the opening few rounds), yet the team prevailed regardless.

So all up a very good away win that leaves little to be bitter about. In this match some older players from previous seasons stood up and had solid performances, and were integral to the win. Just about all the players played significantly useful roles in the team to secure the win, so hopefully all the players take confidence from this good game and that confidence spurs them onto even better performances in the upcoming 2 games at home. 

A very good appraisal of the game Murfy

However, I am genuinely worried abour Paartalu...I know you rate him, but this is the first time I have seen him and I just think he chases the ball too much, and lacks the instinct to play has a DM

Agree with you Silva, Paartalu has been below average. In his defensive he's still developing an understanding with Mooy and until this week Murdocca. I think the League has changed drastically since he last played here and I think he's coming to terms with that. The fortunes of our midfield are intricately linked with his form and being signed for such a long contract will in time dictate our long term success.

I hope he comes good in the following weeks and gives us the confidence his reputation has set. If he's a flop then were in trouble long term. Maybe when Koren joins Mooy it will change his performance. Obviously Retre isn't the answer.

However, I am genuinely worried abour Paartalu...I know you rate him, but this is the first time I have seen him and I just think he chases the ball too much, and lacks the instinct to play has a DM

I think he's still lacking in both match fitness and physical fitness and is probably still adjusting to the dramatic gap between Malaysian and Australian football, and is probably struggling a little with the intensity.

With time that'll come good, and I'm confident he can get back to the level he was at when he was dominating for the Roar during their good years. 

• Like 2

I think he's still lacking in both match fitness and physical fitness and is probably still adjusting to the dramatic gap between Malaysian and Australian football, and is probably struggling a little with the intensity.

With time that'll come good, and I'm confident he can get back to the level he was at when he was dominating for the Roar during their good years.

Thai football. But I completely agree with you. Paartalu will vome good, sooner rather than later

Had chances and took them. Hate to admit it but I'd back mate to miss his shot normally. But to his credit he smashed it past the goal keeper.

Williams did well put a lot of pressure on where he could. Duff was quite but did a few nice things. Mooy was and is a machine. I loved having villa here and will always remember watching him. But the team looked more balanced and the mids came back to help the defenders. Credit where credit is due and as such well done Ramsey he looked a little more confident and at times had mooy going 2 on 1 with broich

Melling looks to be a machine too also brown put in a solid effort when coming on.

What I saw I liked. It wasn't perfect. But it gave us all hope. It went against everything that has happened this season. We go 2 up Brisbane get 1 back with plenty of time left but to the players credit they held strong waiting and again took their opportunity. I hope this is what kick starts our season. Confidence from this win should see us in hood stead for next week. So let's all get to aami park get the big crowd in and let's bring home another win.

Well done city.