Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

JVS stated in the paper that the team lacked confidence. Exactly the same thing he said when he took over from JA. 12 months no change. He now coaches like JA no forward direction and always the same players being substituted. Blind Freddy could have seen Saturday Duff was knackered when he took both Williams & Dugandzic off. Duff is the irish Mifsud and why does he play on the wing when he can't run.

Walker, Vrankovic & Gerhardt have all been shown the door Why. they are as good if not better than the currant team and younger.

All this proves is JVS is losing the plot.

What has happened to the football revolution that was supposed to occur when shitty city took over. Apart from name & colours

JVS stated in the paper that the team lacked confidence. Exactly the same thing he said when he took over from JA. 12 months no change. He now coaches like JA no forward direction and always the same players being substituted. Blind Freddy could have seen Saturday Duff was knackered when he took both Williams & Dugandzic off. Duff is the irish Mifsud and why does he play on the wing when he can't run.

Walker, Vrankovic & Gerhardt have all been shown the door Why. they are as good if not better than the currant team and younger.

What has happened to the football revolution that was supposed to occur when shitty city took over. Apart from name & colours

Oh dear!! Duff along with Mooy where the best players for us. Maybe you have some other agenda going by your comments!

I also think people are really underestimating the effect of having our marquee Koren out. Look around the league at other teams marquees, imagine if Perth were missing Keogh or the tards missing berisha, those 2 teams would be hovering around the 4-6 mark in the league. With our weak list, is it no surprise we're just struggling to make it into the 6?

This is a good issue worth raising. How important are A-League teams' best players, such as their international marquees?

Well, here's a look at the data over the past 2 seasons, comparing the top and the bottom finishing sides, and how many games their international marquees played (or didn't play):

2013/14 season

Brisbane Roar - 1st - Thomas Broich - 27 out of 27 (100%)

Western Sydney - 2nd - Shinji Ono - 23 out of 27 (85%)

Perth Glory - equal 9th - William Gallas - 15 out of 27 (55%)

Wellington - equal 9th - No marquee

Melbourne Heart - 10th - Orlando Engelaar - 12 out of 27 (44%)

2012/13 season

Western Sydney - 1st - Shinji Ono - 24 out of 27 (89%)

Central Coast - 2nd - no marquee

Melbourne Heart - equal 10th - Fred - 19 out of 27 (70%)

Wellington Phoenix - equal 10th - no marquee

* Note, the above looks at games played and not minutes played. Fred, for instance, was substituted 15 times in the 2012/13 season, so it's not like he played 19 full games.

So the above data shows a clear and very strong correlation between a team having an international marquee that plays most or all games, and a high finishing place on the table. Conversely, teams with no marquees, poor marquees (e.g. Gallas) and marquees that don't play much, such as Engelaar and probably Fred in 2012/13 (as rather certainly would be shown if minutes played was examined instead of games played) are much more likely to finish at the foot of the ladder.

I would say the above trends are visible with this season as well. Victory and Sydney have had Berisha and Janko respectively play all or nearly all of this season. And Adelaide and Perth rather illustrate that not just quality big players playing regularly is important, but quality spread well across the whole team is just, or even more important, with both teams using their Visa spots very well, arguably having the best foreigners in the league, and having these Visa players play all or nearly all games.

All up, the data shows that marquees playing regularly are a real important factor in a team's A-League success, however, as Graham Arnold's CCM in 2012/13 also shows, they are not the be all end all. But if a club doesn't get a good international marquee playing regularly, they are significantly more likely to end up down the bottom of the ladder than up the top of it. So Engelaar missing 15 games (56%) of last season was almost certainly a real hindrance, and Koren missing 7 out of 7 games this season undoubtedly means that the team isn't doing as well as it would be doing with Koren in the team.

Please grab all the marquee stats from every team in the league for more than 2 seasons before concluding that there is a direct correlation. Even then, correlation doesn't imply causation. But, if that's the way you want to go, well you may as well grab the stats of what a manager does to a team as well, you might find that they play a bigger part when compared to how many games a certain player plays.

I get the feeling that you really just grabbed the stats that helped your argument, and ignored the fact that there are still another 6 teams in the league, who I'm confident would have had their marquee for a majority of the season.

The thing that is frustrating me the most here, is that people like yourself continue to go on about the fact that JvS isn't the sole reason for our lack of success, and whether that is true or not, it shouldn't mean that he is instantly relieved of blame, and therefore keeps his job. You seem desperate to distract anyone and everyone from a really pathetic coaching record, and try to justify all the horrible performances we watch every week.

The arguments that we have an average playing roster, and a poor club culture are likely true, they are issues that need to be resolved. However it is now blatantly obvious that we also have a very poor manager, and won't be seeing results under him. I agree that we could end up with another average coach if things are rushed, but in the same breath, we could end up with a very good one. It's a risk I'm willing to take, as we all know that sitting back and doing the same thing whilst expecting different results, is simply retarded.

So rattle on about all your fucking stats and excuses, but tell me, why, as it stands right now, should we keep JvS?

Edited by AyeCee
  • Like 1

Lies, damn lies and statistics  ;)

How about the statistic that outside of his little honeymoon period with the club, upon returning, JvS has only led us to 1 single victory, against a bottom placed Brisbane. The same Brisbane who aren't waiting around for the wind to change, and have already gone about replacing their premiership winning coach. Meanwhile, we're stuck with 'Mr got us to a final once so we should be forever grateful'.

And by the way, I think that honeymoon period shows that the players are actually capable of winning, they just need some strong leadership. Obviously after the 5 games last season they decided JvS didn't actually have any leadership qualities, he was just a nice refreshment from Aloisi.

• Like 3

Lies, damn lies and statistics  ;)

How about the statistic that outside of his little honeymoon period with the club, upon returning, JvS has only led us to 1 single victory, against a bottom placed Brisbane. The same Brisbane who aren't waiting around for the wind to change, and have already gone about replacing their premiership winning coach. Meanwhile, we're stuck with 'Mr got us to a final once so we should be forever grateful'.

And by the way, I think that honeymoon period shows that the players are actually capable of winning, they just need some strong leadership. Obviously after the 5 games last season they decided JvS didn't actually have any leadership qualities, he was just a nice refreshment from Aloisi.

No probs. The statistic that I'm looking at is his win percentage over the period that he's coached us - seasons 2010/11, 2011/12, 15 matches in 2013/14 and 7 matches  into 2014/15. This is an average over all the ups and downs. His win percentage to date 30%. That's 80 games in charge for 24 wins.

http://www.ultimatealeague.com/manager_detail.php?manager_id=24

You need around 50% to win silverware. We ain't close with JVS and the question is whether can can do better than he's done in the past. I'm inclined to think not.

Edited by HEARTinator

Jvs had his tactics so wrong in the first half against Sydney, it was a lamb to sluaghter.

The full backs were obviously asked to push up, like wing backs in a 352, allowing space for their wings (even though Ramsey would have been our week spot anyway), Ibini had a field day and the first goal our wing backs were half way down the field like wingers in a 442.

The stupidity of allowing Sydney the space (especially when you know they like to play through their wings) is bad enough, but then think of the FB that were pushing forward, both can't cross! Hoffman can cut inside, but it was a game plan not suited to our players from the start.

It would have been good if our LM played more narrow to capitalise on an extra midfield player and outnumber them, while letting Duff do his thing, but no, same old tactic that Sydney was prepared for and have players for.

Then the subs :(

I am so glad we released Schroen for the prolific scorer Brown is..........

A side note, Williams was a winger, in the all stars game he played a winger and played realy well, one cross was class. Let's realise he aint a striker, sure the experience would have been good, but with Duff and Duga being shite, play him as LW ffs.

No more easy rides, there has been enough these past years, put players on notice ffs.

It's his fualt there is no reconised striker, no youth promoted, while sub par players got a contract extension.

Rant over

Oh dear!! Duff along with Mooy where the best players for us. Maybe you have some other agenda going by your comments!

Duff is okay on the ball and his commitment is good, however he cannot beat anyone as no pace, no goals and gone after 60mins, though JVS won't take him off. Irish Mifsud.

My agenda is straight forward, pissed off over the Shitty City takeover, which the FFA should not have allowed. What good are they doing for Heart, what good are they doing for Australian Football. Villa 4 games(he said that was always the case) just enough time to sell memberships/shirts. letting go of Walker, Vrankovic & Gerhardt which is 3/5 of our defence for half a season Garruccio & Collosimo were the others. So to say they weren't up to standard is bullshit. They say there building for the future, What future.

Duff is okay on the ball and his commitment is good, however he cannot beat anyone as no pace, no goals and gone after 60mins, though JVS won't take him off. Irish Mifsud.

My agenda is straight forward, pissed off over the Shitty City takeover, which the FFA should not have allowed. What good are they doing for Heart, what good are they doing for Australian Football. Villa 4 games(he said that was always the case) just enough time to sell memberships/shirts. letting go of Walker, Vrankovic & Gerhardt which is 3/5 of our defence for half a season Garruccio & Collosimo were the others. So to say they weren't up to standard is bullshit. They say there building for the future, What future.

All of the ten clubs in the A-league not just MCFC did not want to sign either Walker, Vrankovic and one can only assume Colosimo... :hmm:

So I assume you are saying that therefore all of the recruiters in Australian Domestic Football opinions are bullshit.

Garuccio is still on our list and is a Winger. 

Edited by cadete

Walker wouldn't get a game in the NPL. He is signed to a club in Conference South and I'm not sure he even plays. Simply not good enough now, or ever.

Vrankovic, may have had some potential, but it's not like we had the best defence so the fact he couldn't secure a place in it says a lot about what his current ability was like. Fact is, there isn't a lot of reason to develop players in this league, so all that counts is how good the player is right now. Blame the FFA for that, things like the salary cap and the no transfer fees between A-League clubs rule, really take away a lot of the benefit.

Walker wouldn't get a game in the NPL. He is signed to a club in Conference South and I'm not sure he even plays. Simply not good enough now, or ever.

Vrankovic, may have had some potential, but it's not like we had the best defence so the fact he couldn't secure a place in it says a lot about what his current ability was like. Fact is, there isn't a lot of reason to develop players in this league, so all that counts is how good the player is right now. Blame the FFA for that, things like the salary cap and the no transfer fees between A-League clubs rule, really take away a lot of the benefit.

You have a look at the bottom three or four Australian players on each A-League list you will find four blokes who would not be Professional Footballers in most other countries under systems that actually players exactly what they are worth not the required wage of a set base contract for the league.

If blokes like Walker and Vrankovic can't even win one of these 30 or 40 bonus spots in the entire league then I really don't understand how we have somehow missed out of Aussie Sokka's next big thing with these guys.

You have a look at the bottom three or four Australian players on each A-League list you will find four blokes who would not be Professional Footballers in most other countries under systems that actually players exactly what they are worth not the required wage of a set base contract for the league.

If blokes like Walker and Vrankovic can't even win one of these 30 or 40 bonus spots in the entire league then I really don't understand how we have somehow missed out of Aussie Sokka's next big thing with these guys.

Actually a lot of countries have a set minimum wage for full time professional players FWIW, but your point still stands. There is also the fact 2 (?) spots on the roster are specifically reserved for young players.

Actually a lot of countries have a set minimum wage for full time professional players FWIW, but your point still stands. There is also the fact 2 (?) spots on the roster are specifically reserved for young players.

What I meant was that in some other countries a lot these clubs like in days gone past in Australia, would not be prepared to pay these list filler guys Professional Salaries. 

When the take over was announced there was a lot of talk in this forum that players were playing for their careers. Seems like such a long time ago, we were so naive...

Well, don't be so hasty there.

Dugandzic is running like a mad man.  He knows this is make or break.

Kalmar is being frozen out.

Word is Germano is gone in January

i think there is a distinction between players not being good enough and players not giving a fig.  I actually believe we have had season where players did not put in 100%

I am afraid there was too many people expecting the team to somehow go from bottom to top without any hard evidence.

Damien Duff is a solid player who puts in consistent performances and will do so over a season. The same can be said for Koren when he returns to fitness.

The Villa situation has been handled very badly and it would have been better to have brought in a player who could actually do a 10 game stint

As for the players you say should have been retained....many others on this forum would disagree with you.

Oh!! It isn't Shitty City who have taken over it is CFG.....and they WILL bring success to the club!!

I am afraid there was too many people expecting the team to somehow go from bottom to top

Entirely possible in this league, as the salary cap keeps team pretty even so 2-3 players can make the difference between 1st and last, and players of A-League quality are readily available on free transfers.

I am afraid there was too many people expecting the team to somehow go from bottom to top

Entirely possible in this league, as the salary cap keeps team pretty even so 2-3 players can make the difference between 1st and last, and players of A-League quality are readily available on free transfers.

Then there is fact that two teams goes from easybeat to finals contender every Season... but for some reason its always us that has to wait.

Then there is fact that two teams goes from easybeat to finals contender every Season... but for some reason its always us that has to wait.

as I posted earlier in the season - with our history the fact we have had 2 whole coaches in our existence is absolutely mind boggling.

It tells me not only do we need a total coaching overhaul - those above them need to go as well.

I am hoping and expecting that this coming off-season will be the one of REAL change - not superficial stuff like club colours etc. Yes, that is important (more to some than others) but really, we have to get rid of the cancer that basically was one of the worst clubs setup in Australian sport in a long time. 

Oh!! It isn't Shitty City who have taken over it is CFG.....and they WILL bring success to the club!!

I have every confidence.

Just remember - when big changes happen it takes time, and sometimes the instability makes you go a step backwards before going 2 step forwards.

Look at city - when CFG took over, granted they had little time to invest and tried to get Berbatov etc - but did break the british record to get Robinho etc.

But still - the first season for CFG saw Man City actually go backwards on the table - to 10th! It was the following season they jumped up with the big boys.

I have every confidence.

Just remember - when big changes happen it takes time, and sometimes the instability makes you go a step backwards before going 2 step forwards.

Look at city - when CFG took over, granted they had little time to invest and tried to get Berbatov etc - but did break the british record to get Robinho etc.

But still - the first season for CFG saw Man City actually go backwards on the table - to 10th! It was the following season they jumped up with the big boys.

Wasn't the Manchester purchase completed right on the eve of that EPL season though? Not quite the same thing as having three quarters of a year following the takeover to get your house in order.

I have every confidence.

Wasn't the Manchester purchase completed right on the eve of that EPL season though? Not quite the same thing as having three quarters of a year following the takeover to get your house in order.

10th in the EPL is 5th in the A-League...

A better finish than MHFC ever achieved and the possibility of me being able to see a final live... TBH if you offered to me Fifth Spot and a sacked JVS right now with the way our Season is quickly going of the rails I would seize it with both hands.

I am hoping and expecting that this coming off-season will be the one of REAL change - not superficial stuff like club colours etc. 

This is what I feel will happen too. I suspect they are letting this season play out, paying very close attention to everyone at the club and will evaluate and (hopefully) replace those not performing to their standards come the off season (you would think that anyone who has been given a multiple year contract extension will have performance clauses). 

Its just very frustrating because had they asked anyone who has been paying close attention to this club would have been able able to tell them who needs to go. Although they may have asked someone but their response was "everyone" and City thought they were joking.

We arent. Virtually everyone involved with Heart needs to go.

Edited by KSK_47

"BRISBANE Roar coach Frans Thijssen has warned his underperforming players if they lose the ball they could lose their spots.

A day after taking charge of the A-League champion following the dumping of Mike Mulvey, Thijssen sent a message to the team that only those who showed cool heads and precise skills on the ball would have a future at the club.

We have to improve there. If we have the ball the other team can?t do anything,? he said."

Sounds like the kick up the arse our players need

I am afraid there was too many people expecting the team to somehow go from bottom to top without any hard evidence.

Damien Duff is a solid player who puts in consistent performances and will do so over a season. The same can be said for Koren when he returns to fitness.

The Villa situation has been handled very badly and it would have been better to have brought in a player who could actually do a 10 game stint

As for the players you say should have been retained....many others on this forum would disagree with you.

Whether people agree or disagree with the players not retained is not the issue the fact is the defence this year is the worst ever.    The two central defenders have no pace, Hoffman is average and Ramsay is woeful, Garuccio  must be getting disillusioned he played fullback a couple of years ago and cannot get a regular gig.  He will be next to go.  I don't expect them to go from bottom to top, however I need to believe that there is change from the football we've had to endure.  It's fine if everyone keeps saying it will be better but I'm yet to believe. 

If they play Duff he should be played behind the front two not on the wing and until he scores he's the Irish Mifsud

Whether people agree or disagree with the players not retained is not the issue the fact is the defence this year is the worst ever.    The two central defenders have no pace, Hoffman is average and Ramsay is woeful, Garuccio  must be getting disillusioned he played fullback a couple of years ago and cannot get a regular gig.  He will be next to go.  I don't expect them to go from bottom to top, however I need to believe that there is change from the football we've had to endure.  It's fine if everyone keeps saying it will be better but I'm yet to believe. 

If they play Duff he should be played behind the front two not on the wing and until he scores he's the Irish Mifsud

If you think there is a need for change then why are knocking the club for delisting players like Walker and Vranks that no A-League club wants??? :unsure:

• Like 1

If you think there is a need for change then why are knocking the club for delisting players like Walker and Vranks that no A-League club wants??? :unsure:

I wouldn't be complaining if the players still at the club are better.

I wouldn't be complaining if the players still at the club are better.

There is probably at a conservative guess 37 spots for Centre Halves in the A League and not one club decided to give Vranks a spot so I find it hard to believe that he is a better than Kisnorbo or Robbie. (Especially considering neither JVS or JA ever thought him worthy of game time despite the team's horrific form in both his Seasons.)

Likewise both JA and JVS also never thought Walker was better player than a pretty poor Hoffman in that same Season from Hell and you have to say that both of their thoughts on Walker were vindicated when not one other side in the A-League bothered recruiting the kid either.

You would think with the amount of Walkerists on this forum that the talent that all these PPL believe he supposedly has would be enough to see him playing above a Grade of Football ATM which is below NPL Standard. 

• Like 2

Perth says hello 

Speaking of Perth, as the most recent example of a club who sacked their coach halfway through the season, guess where they ended up last season after they sacked Alistar Edwards? 8th. Relating this to us, it shows that sacking your coach half-way through the season does jack shit if the list is no good. 

Even looking at Perth again, in the off-season they cleared out the deadwood, signed some really good players like Hersi and Keogh and now their flying. I understand that Kenny lowe is still their coach, but do people honestly think he's a master coach, or he just has good list management? It's more of the second one IMO

Is their any instance in the a-league were a coach has been sacked mid season and the team has dramatically improved? Improved so much to make/win the finals? Off the top of my head i honestly can't remember and instance in which this has happened. Rather, its at the end of the season, were the club can sit down and make the necessary changes to the playing list with a clear head, then that club has gone to be successful.

Why not give JVS the rest of the season or at least until Koren comes back to prove himself? As shown above, it doesn't really matter whether he gets sacked now or at the end of the season, the team isn't going to go from just in the 6 to world beaters due to him being sacked. And even then, he can sit down with the managers at the end of the season and make the necessary changes to the team in order to give us success. Surely he can see the gaping holes he has in the team at the moment?

Perth says hello 

Speaking of Perth, as the most recent example of a club who sacked their coach halfway through the season, guess where they ended up last season after they sacked Alistar Edwards? 8th. Relating this to us, it shows that sacking your coach half-way through the season does jack shit if the list is no good. 

Even looking at Perth again, in the off-season they cleared out the deadwood, signed some really good players like Hersi and Keogh and now their flying. I understand that Kenny lowe is still their coach, but do people honestly think he's a master coach, or he just has good list management? It's more of the second one IMO

Is their any instance in the a-league were a coach has been sacked mid season and the team has dramatically improved? Improved so much to make/win the finals? Off the top of my head i honestly can't remember and instance in which this has happened. Rather, its at the end of the season, were the club can sit down and make the necessary changes to the playing list with a clear head, then that club has gone to be successful.

Why not give JVS the rest of the season or at least until Koren comes back to prove himself? As shown above, it doesn't really matter whether he gets sacked now or at the end of the season, the team isn't going to go from just in the 6 to world beaters due to him being sacked. And even then, he can sit down with the managers at the end of the season and make the necessary changes to the team in order to give us success. Surely he can see the gaping holes he has in the team at the moment?

The opposing argument is why not give the new coach half a season to asses the list, similar to Perth.

FWIW JVS won't be sacked this season IMO.