Melbourne Football

MCFC v NEW - Round 2.

mitchellmcleod

David Villa happy with super sub role after debut goal for Melbourne City over Sydney FC

MATT WINDLEY

OCTOBER 12, 2014

DAVID Villa says he had no problem coming off the bench in Melbourne City's 1-1 draw with Sydney FC on Saturday night.

Now City is set to endure another week of "will he or won't he" questions after both player and coach refused to commit to a starting berth for Sunday's first home game against Newcaste Jets at AAMI Park. Villa, who scored 15 minutes after coming on early in the second half, said he was impressed by his first taste of the A-League.

It's difficult when speaking through a translator, but Villa's eyes and upward infliction in his voice when talking about the standard of the match suggested he was genuine.

"I thought it was really good," Villa said.

"Both teams tried to play, it was a good level, very competitive. I thought the atmosphere was really good as well.

"So everything was what I thought, what I imagined coming in. Overall I had a really good impression."

It was fitting that Villa would score the first A-League goal of the new Melbourne City era.

In doing so he also became the first Melbourne City/Heart player to score on debut.

Heart subs only scored three goals last season, twice by David Williams and another from Harry Kewell.

"The ball came in from Damien, I saw that the defender lost me a little bit," Villa said of his 63rd minute strike.

"I made a good first touch and then knew from there that I was looking for goal and was able to finish and put it in."

Villa, who only arrived in Melbourne eight days ago, batted away questions about his substitute role and whether he would start against the Jets.

"It's the coach's decision, I was completely fine with it," he said. "I really just want to fit in with the team and continue to blend with the team. Now there's another week to get to understand my teammates better and feel better heading in to the next game.

"Again, it's really up to the coach, I just want to work hard and, as I've always done, just worry about the team."

Coach John van 't Schip said Villa "has to get more playing rhythm", but hinted at a more prominent role for the Spaniard next week.

"From training with us and playing 45 minutes and (scoring) a goal, next week will be a different story," van 't Schip said.

"He can have a good week of training and we'll make a good decision, a well over-thought decision again next because there's no use using a player that maybe gets injured."

Van 't Schip said international marquee Robert Koren would be a "day-by-day" proposition as he battles to overcome a calf injury, while David Williams (knee) is improving after rejoining training last week following a minor knee complaint.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/football/david-villa-happy-with-super-sub-role-after-debut-goal-for-melbourne-city-over-sydney-fc/story-fnk6rlg1-1227088043769

Does anyone know how the restoration of the AAMI Park playing surface is going after the "Monster Trucks" events held there?

This is a picture taken from today, they went to great lengths to pretect the pitch.

10696275_816795725037449_496843889681738

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: that end will be stacked next Sunday! I can't fucking wait... Expanded active area also!

If Koren is over his calf injury then he must play. It could be he plays from the left with Villa up front.

Also I wonder if JVS may play Archibald at left back with Hoffman on the right

Does anyone think that Archibald would be a better fit than Ramsey?

If Hoffman starts, then I think Ramsay needs to stay at left back as Archibald and Hoffman won't make overlapping runs and we'll be too stagnant going forward.

What I'd really like is a genuine left back who can attack and defend.

I agree with that Nate

Personally I would leave the back four as they are, because they didn't do too much wrong.

They were obviously helped with Paartalu sitting in front of them.

It seemed to me in the last 15 minutes Paartalu tired a bit and that meant the back four came under more pressure, but they handled it very well.

IMO Parts is the key recruit this season as he really screens that defense well and is able to pass out when he wins the ball back.He also flies the fucken flag for the lads in the middle of the park... something we have missed since Shroj.

In a comp where u play sides so many times a season you don't want to be that side that is known as physically easy to initiate in the guts.

NOTE: Some credit does go to Kewell for doing this verbally when he could limp on to the pitch.

THIS!!! Shroj was one of the most under rated players this club has had. Has hatchet jobs in midfield saved countless counter attacks from turning into goal scoring situations.

• Like 2

If Koren is over his calf injury then he must play. It could be he plays from the left with Villa up front.

If Hoffman starts, then I think Ramsay needs to stay at left back as Archibald and Hoffman won't make overlapping runs and we'll be too stagnant going forward.

What I'd really like is a genuine left back who can attack and defend. I agree with that Nate

Personally I would leave the back four as they are, because they didn't do too much wrong.

It seemed to me in the last 15 minutes Paartalu tired a bit and that meant the back four came under more pressure, but they handled it very well.

IMO Parts is the key recruit this season as he really screens that defense well and is able to pass out when he wins the ball back. He also flies the fucken flag for the lads in the middle of the park... something we have missed since Shroj.

In a comp where u play sides so many times a season you don't want to be that side that is known as physically easy to initiate in the guts.

NOTE: Some credit does go to Kewell for doing this verbally when he could limp on to the pitch.

THIS!!! Shroj was one of the most under rated players this club has had. Has hatchet jobs in midfield saved countless counter attacks from turning into goal scoring situations.

I know that Shroj got a lot of shit thrown his way, but i liked him as a player, as he did the unseen hard work. He was never a box to box run all day midfielder, but he did the dirty work that was required, to keep some stability in the middle of the park, not flashy, not spectacular, but did what was necessary

• Like 1

What I'd really like is a genuine left back who can attack and defend. I agree with that Nate

IMO Parts is the key recruit this season as he really screens that defense well and is able to pass out when he wins the ball back. He also flies the fucken flag for the lads in the middle of the park... something we have missed since Shroj.

What a joke. The cunt came to the club with a shit attitude, got handed the captaincy and did nothing for us. Didn't want to work hard in games, did fuck all in training yet arguing with refs and getting lippy to opposition players means he was "verbally flying the flag", give me a spell. Everyone wants to kick Aloisi when he is down but Kewell's "leadership" was just as bad for our playing culture than anything Bad Luck Johnny did.

What a joke. The cunt came to the club with a shit attitude, got handed the captaincy and did nothing for us. Didn't want to work hard in games, did fuck all in training yet arguing with refs and getting lippy to opposition players means he was "verbally flying the flag", give me a spell. Everyone wants to kick Aloisi when he is down but Kewell's "leadership" was just as bad for our playing culture than anything Bad Luck Johnny did.

Stats wise you're theory simply does not stack up...

JA was involved during the first half of last season when we couldn't win a game while Kewell on the other hand was mainly involved in the team during the far more successful second half of the Season. (He also played a major role in the Derby win which was by far the Season's greatest highlight.)

Edited by cadete

JA was involved during the first half of last season when we couldn't win a game while Kewell on the other hand was mainly involved in the team during the far more successful second half of the Season. (He also played a major role in the Derby win which was by far the Season's greatest highlight.)

He came on in the 80th minute? rof

Just did some research, he started 11 games for 3 wins (With one of those wins coming from a late Willo goal after Kewell was subbed off), hardly successful if you ask me.

• Like 1

Just did some research, he started 11 games for 3 wins (With one of those wins coming from a late Willo goal after Kewell was subbed off), hardly successful if you ask me.

It is still had better rate of assisting the team in taking home points when in the team last season than anyone else last bar Orlando... He also scored the sealer in the Derby.

LOL - There is really no point us debating Kewell again anyway... we have done it enough times to know we will never see eye to eye on his time at MHFC.

Edited by cadete

Anyone got any thoughts on the likely attendance for the Newcastle match? Weather forecast looks perfect - maximum 28. I'm thinking we ought to be looking at 15,000+.

I think 15,000 is about where we'll be. And that'll be awesome. IMO, we've got some good new chants that are short and simple and that'll get many people outside of the active area involved, so hopefully the atmosphere will be better than ever before! 

Wow...pretty blown away by the criticism of Kewell, to be honest. He came in, played for peanuts, was the obvious/only choice for captain (really, with the exodus after 2012/13, who else was there?) and had a pretty clear disadvantage (as did the team) in that he barely shared the park with Engelaar (invariably, if Harry was in, Orlando was out and vice versa). I have very fond memories of the Sydney FC game in January, where Engelaar was sent off and Kewell somehow controlled the airways for the rest of the game, getting his head on countless balls in the centre of the ground. I have a mate that worked for Victory when Kewell was there who thought that he carried himself like an absolute tosser during his stint there. And it's obviously tough from an outsider's perspective, but I thought his engagement with fans after the games he played for Heart was as good as could have been expected.

Edited by SF33
  • Like 1

Being that our average home attendance hovered around 6 - 8,000(I don't have stats, just going on my memory of attendance announcements from last season. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong!!!) not taking in to account derby matches, I think anything between 10-12,000 would be realistic and should be considered a positive result. For the record my prediction is 12,132!!!!!!

Our First Home Game attendance trend for 5 years 

2010 V CCM    11050     (First ever game) 

2011 V Perth   7229        (Fred is the attraction) 

2012 V Wellington   10907    (Won the derby round 1 ) 

2013 V CCM    8734   (With Harry K ) 

2014 V Newcastle  ????  (City takeover , Villa in)  

Based on 30% growth we would say 13,000 roughly to next weeks game  

Being that our average home attendance hovered around 6 - 8,000(I don't have stats, just going on my memory of attendance announcements from last season. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong!!!) not taking in to account derby matches, I think anything between 10-12,000 would be realistic and should be considered a positive result. For the record my prediction is 12,132!!!!!!

I have a spreadsheet of all Heart "home" attendances.

Your memory serves you well. The average for all 46 non-derby matches played at AAMI Park is only 6,775.

Cant describe how great it was to see Villa's goal in the flesh, he made it look like a training exercise. However, the thing I liked best was he was double teamed and then crunched by two sydney players in the middle. He fell on the ground, got right back up and kept going after the ball. Says a lot about him. 

Cant describe how great it was to see Villa's goal in the flesh, he made it look like a training exercise. However, the thing I liked best was he was double teamed and then crunched by two sydney players in the middle. He fell on the ground, got right back up and kept going after the ball. Says a lot about him. 

was the best being there watching him in the flesh - sent the fans wild once it left the boot you knew there is no doubt this will go in.

was the best being there watching him in the flesh - sent the fans wild once it left the boot you knew there is no doubt this will go in.

If Villa scores this week the whole south end will be drenched in my jizz.

I have a spreadsheet of all Heart "home" attendances.

Your memory serves you well. The average for all 46 non-derby matches played at AAMI Park is only 6,775.

Phew!! I thought I was close. Thanks for the back up champion. :clap:

I reckon our opening game was a near perfect advertisement for our first home game (a win would have been perfect). A good, respectable performance that football & sports fans would have noticed, and a good goal to Villa, which will help build ample excitement for the first home game.

If the club drops a strong hint midweek that this home game will be Villa's starting debut for Melbourne City, I'm pretty confident that the crowd attendance will break 15k.

Our First Home Game attendance trend for 5 years 

2010 V CCM    11050     (First ever game) 

2011 V Perth   7229        (Fred is the attraction) 

2012 V Wellington   10907    (Won the derby round 1 ) 

2013 V CCM    8734   (With Harry K ) 

2014 V Newcastle  ????  (City takeover , Villa in)  

Based on 30% growth we would say 13,000 roughly to next weeks game  

Anything under 13k should be considered a disappointment. 

We got around 14k or so when ADP played at AAMI.

Our average first game attendance is only about 9,500( versus an overall home game average of 6,775 not including derbies) so I think anything above 10K should be viewed as positive or at least headed in the right direction.

If Villa scores this week the whole south end will be drenched in my jizz.

Give the man a second on his own and he will score plenty