Melbourne Football

SFC VS MCFC - Round 1

Ruckoo

Just landed in Shitney. So pumped!! Hope the crowd is as good as expected but having said that, all the guys on fox sports were predicting/saying that 40,000 would be at etihad last night and they got 30,000.

They'll get 22k

Word's out the car parks have mud and as we all know Sydney fans don't go if they are going to end up with dirty mudflaps.

YOUTH IN FOCUS: van’t Schip confident in Archibald ability

Saturday, 11 October 2014

All eyes have been on a certain Spanish World Cup winner this week.

But while Sydney FC will look to contain David Villa up one end of the pitch, up the other end young Melbourne City FC defender Ross Archibald is tasked with keeping Sydney FC’s strike-force at bay.

Having made his debut for the Club last season in the Melbourne Derby – playing the final eight minutes of the 4-0 win – Archibald may well be called into action from the first whistle this Saturday night.

With first-choice right-back Jason Hoffman carrying a one-match suspension across from last season into Round 1, Archibald has been working closely with van’t Schip as cover at the back.

Connor Chapman is another defender sidelined through an ailment, giving Archibald the opportunity to play. The former Newcastle Jets man has suffered from glandular fever during the off-season which has hampered his fitness and preparations.

van’t Schip said he was confident the 20-year-old Archibald - who travelled with the Club to Manchester for the team's pre-season camp - could play a significant role in Hoffman’s absence.

“Ross is a player who has played in the whole pre-season and almost every game and he has developed very well,” van’t Schip said.

“So we are very happy about his progress and he is certainly going to be part of the group tomorrow.”

When questioned whether it was unusual to have a proven, world class player at one end of the field tasked with scoring goals, and a young, developing talent trying to prevent them up the other end, van’t Schip said it was normal in football.

“It’s not strange – it happens everywhere in the world,” van’t Schip said.

“If you have a good, young, talented player there is always a moment when you have to start playing and so it is good we have a mix of experience, young players, foreign players and bring that all together it makes a very good team in all aspects.”

With the Club's history of promoting good young talent, Archibald may well get that moment on Saturday night.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/reaction-vant-schip-confident-in-archibald-ability/3ml0cv5sdd9x1i8f7qirtd0cf 

This has probably been said before, but watching Aloisi on FoxSports giving his 'special' comments and providing 'analysis' is comical. I can't wait to see what he has to say about City. 

"Ange is secretly very happy with that performance."

0-0 lol

IMO, tonight's match is all about our debuting players. If Koren, Duff, Mooy, Paartalu and Villa live up to their potential, then I reckon it'll be a pretty good night for the team.

I'm perhaps most hopeful that Mooy and Paartalu will have solid performances, given that Mooy's been around for effectively the whole pre-season and that Paartalu looks fit and he knows the league. I'm less sure about the 3 internationals, given their A-League inexperience, but even if these players don't play to their full potential I still think any one of them could be a game-changer tonight, so I reckon we'll see some quality from them (even if it isn't all of their quality, that they'll probably show once they are more settled in the league).

Archibald will be an interesting side-story, and Ramsay as well. But as long as those two and the other defenders can avoid making mistakes, I believe the main story will be the new debutants.

In Sydney now and can't wait for kickoff. Am pretty confident going into the match. 

• Like 2

Wouldn't surprise me if Villa sustains a long term injury from some opposition hack trying to be a hero.

My money's on Ali Abbas

edit: never mind as he isn't playing, Jurman it is

I can just see him being roughed up every game so no-one gets to see how good he actually is. He'll bugger off back to New York and everyone will crap on about how much of a bust he was.