Melbourne Football

SFC VS MCFC - Round 1

Ruckoo

David Villa says he’s prepared to come off the bench with City loanee not fully fit

DAVID DAVUTOVIC

OCTOBER 07, 2014

MEGASTAR David Villa said he is prepared to start on the bench as Melbourne City coach John van’t Schip revealed that the striker wasn’t ready to play 90 minutes.

Van’t Schip all but confirmed that Villa would take part in Saturday’s trip to Allianz Stadium, but said that he was contemplating starting him on the bench.

Villa will on Wednesday partake in just his second session with his new club, but Friday looms as selection D-day.

“We have to see what’s best, to start him, or let him watch first to get a feeling of the Sydney stadium and the level,’’ van’t Schip said.

“That (starting on the bench) could be a very good idea as well because 90 minutes probably is going to be too much.

“We won’t rush it, we’ll make that decision on Friday.

“I’ll have a good chat with him and if he’s okay then he’ll certainly play, that won’t be a problem

But when, how long, whether he’s starting or coming in, that’s something that we haven’t decided.

“He’ll have a big role in our games but we have to be careful with how we manage him and not just throw him in because everyone is expecting it.

“We have to manage it very carefully, together with David. He knows his body best.’’

Villa said his body clock has already adjusted after arriving from New York on Sunday night.

Despite a CV that includes a European Championships golden boot and leading scorer for Spain, the former Barcelona, Valencia and Atletico Madrid star said he would accept a role from the bench for the first of his 10 games.

“I wouldn’t be disappointed at all (to start on the bench),’’ Villa said.

“I’m the one that needs to adapt to the team. We’ve still got more sessions to come before the game.

“It’s up to the coach, I’m just a member of the team. There’s a squad of 23 players, 11 on the pitch and the objective is to enjoy my experience and contribute and it’s not up to me.

“I feel good, I feel at ease and comfortable and I’m recovering little by little from the long trip and I hope to be ready for the weekend.

“I slept perfect (on Monday night). I slept through, got up at 7.30am.’’

Van’t Schip said Villa looked sharp in his debut session, but match conditions were impossible to replicate.

“His physical condition is good, but the sharpness and football rhythm... it’s logical, he’s been out for 3-4 months,’’ he said.

“The last few weeks he’s trained with a small group of six-to-10 players in New York, but he hasn’t trained really competitively with a group for a long time.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/david-villa-says-hes-prepared-to-come-off-the-bench-with-city-loanee-not-fully-fit/story-fnk6rlg0-1227083081441

Edited by Murfy1

If he comes off the bench they must have worked out a way to have him play more than 10 games. Which with him being paid only 60k in New York that would help a lot. Surely they wouldn't waste one of the 10 games with him comming off the bench, although it would be ideal if he was here as a loan player to ease him into it. But, as a 10 game guest it's a different situation.

• Like 1

I think he'll prefer to start. Not sure of how many have played, but as a player starting a game doesnt compare to coming off the bench. I dont think hell play more the 60mins. If hes named in the playing squad I reackon he'll start and play 55 to 60 mins unless he feels tight. Even if he's flying and feeling super he still be taken off. He may miss a game or to in the next 4 or 5 just to freshen up. Following week will probably be same, and week 3 he'll play full 90mins. (IMO).

I think he'll prefer to start. Not sure of how many have played, but as a player starting a game doesnt compare to coming off the bench. I dont think hell play more the 60mins. If hes named in the playing squad I reackon he'll start and play 55 to 60 mins unless he feels tight. Even if he's flying and feeling super he still be taken off. He may miss a game or to in the next 4 or 5 just to freshen up. Following week will probably be same, and week 3 he'll play full 90mins. (IMO).

I can see the same happening:

JVS using Villa for the first 60 mins like he did with Fred in the first match of Season Two (AKA Newy Away - Never Again). 

I can see the same happening:

JVS using Villa for the first 60 mins like he did with Fred in the first match of Season Two (AKA Newy Away - Never Again).

This. I reckon we've learnt a lesson or 2 about rushing players back (I hope). Fred/Kewell got embarrassing at times.

I hope we keep him on the bench and if we've down by a goal with 20 to go we bring him on. Even it's 1-1 we should keep him for the Newcastle game.

Interesting listening to Damen de Bohen on the run home last night and he mentioned that the game is on track for a sell out and a crowd of around 40k.

Probably an exaggeration of sorts but still, could be a sensational atmosphere for this weekend if it tops 35k

David Villa finishes his first full session for Melbourne City, looks good to go against Sydney FC

DAVID DAVUTOVIC

OCTOBER 08, 2014

DAVID Villa completed his first full session for Melbourne City on Wednesday giving every indication he was ready to start in the season opener away to Sydney FC on Saturday.

Villa, 32, showed glimpses of the skill, speed and ruthlessness that sees him comfortably atop Spain’s highest goalscorers’ list, ahead of Raul Gonzalez, Fernando Torres and Emilio Butrageno.

By Villa’s standards it was a modest turnout of 50 fans at City’s Latrobe Uni headquarters in Bundoora, with the Spanish superstar heeding their wishes for autographs and photos after the 90-minute session.

For seasoned City campaigners such as David Williams, Jason Hoffman and Mate Dugandzic, who were just as likely to see a stray dog beside their training pitch than fans, these are exciting times.

“I’m a huge fan. Not after he joined Melbourne City, but from when he signed for Valencia in 2005,’’ one fans said.

“I love clinical players like Thierry Henry and Villa.’’

Having trimmed his beard from the A-League launch a day earlier, the former Barcelona and Atletico Madrid striker appeared meant business as he emerging from the changerooms.

He joined in the warm-up and while his exquisite touch was on view for all, it was a dribbling drill - underpinned by his explosiveness and low centre of gravity (175cm) - where the difference in class was evident.

He got involved in a possession game with further sublime touches and switches of play, before the attackers peeled off for shooting practise at the end.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/david-villa-finishes-his-first-full-session-for-melbourne-city-looks-good-to-go-against-sydney-fc/story-fnk6pqhd-1227083864728

Edited by Murfy1

2 days to go, getting a little excited. 

I love how Sydney and Brisbane include public transport in their tickets. 

I'm getting off the plane and getting a bus from the airport to Bondi, hitting the beach and then catching the bus to the game later that night!  

(Multiply that by the family of 4 and saves a chunk) 

2 days to go, getting a little excited. 

I love how Sydney and Brisbane include public transport in their tickets. 

I'm getting off the plane and getting a bus from the airport to Bondi, hitting the beach and then catching the bus to the game later that night!  

(Multiply that by the family of 4 and saves a chunk) 

Trains are free in Sydney anyway...

Saturday, 11 October 2014

Sydney FC v Melbourne City FC

Allianz Stadium, Sydney

Kick-off: 7.30pm local (7:30pm AEDT)

Referee: Peter Green

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 3.Robbie WIELAERT, 5.Erik PAARTALU, 6.Aaron MOOY, 7.Iain RAMSAY, 8.Massimo MURDOCCA, 9.David VILLA, 10.Robert KOREN, 11.Damien DUFF, 14.James BROWN, 15.David WILLIAMS, 18.Paulo RETRE, 20.Tando VELAPHI (GK), 22.Nick KALMAR, 23.Mate DUGANDZIC, 24.Patrick KISNORBO ©, 26.Marco MARINO, 27.Ross ARCHIBALD

***two to be omitted***

Ins: 27.Ross ARCHIBALD (promoted – National Youth League)

Sydney FC squad: 1.Ivan NECEVSKI (GK), 2.Sebastian RYALL, 3.Sasa OGNENOVSKI, 4.Pedj BOJIC, 5.Matthew JURMAN, 6.Nikola PETKOVIC, 7.Corey GAMEIRO, 8.Milos DIMITRIJEVIC, 9.Shane SMELTZ, 14.Alex BROSQUE ©, 16.Alex GERSBACH, 17.Terry ANTONIS, 18.Peter TRIANTIS, 19.Nick CARLE, 20.Vedran JANJETOVIC (GK), 25.Aaron CALVER, 28.Max BURGESS, 29.George BLACKWOOD.

***two to be omitted***

Ins: Not Applicable

Outs: Not Applicable

Unavailable: 11.Bernie IBINI, 12.Hagi GLIGOR, 13.Christopher NAUMOFF, 21.Mark JANKO, 22.Ali ABBAS (all international duty), 23.Rhyan GRANT (knee – indefinite)

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 3.Robbie WIELAERT, 5.Erik PAARTALU, 6.Aaron MOOY, 7.Iain RAMSAY, 8.Massimo MURDOCCA, 9.David VILLA, 10.Robert KOREN, 11.Damien DUFF, 14.James BROWN, 15.David WILLIAMS, 18.Paulo RETRE, 20.Tando VELAPHI (GK), 22.Nick KALMAR, 23.Mate DUGANDZIC, 24.Patrick KISNORBO ©, 26.Marco MARINO, 27.Ross ARCHIBALD

***two to be omitted***

Ins: 27.Ross ARCHIBALD (promoted – National Youth League)

Outs: Not Applicable

Unavailable: 4.Connor CHAPMAN (glandular fever – ongoing), 13.Jonatan GERMANO (calf – 3-6 weeks), 17.Jason HOFFMAN (suspended – 1 week), 19.Benjamin GARUCCIO (ankles – 3-6 weeks), 21.Stefan MAUK (international duty)